Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsbay View Post
Hey Tim, I enjoyed reading your blog about your adventures camping with the 16 Bambi.

Thanks! I really enjoy that little trailer. Now, if we can just get Winter to make a quick exit, I can continue the adventures.

Tim
bocotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
I'm in the same boat as the rest of your. Love the FJ. Love the Airstream. Mine is a little bit of different style, given it is vintage, and even though it is longer than the 16' Bambi, it is significantly shorter and lighter (original weight ~2050#, will probably come out to a wet weight of ~2500# in the end). It has only been on one trip, but it towed exceptionally well. I've towed a bunch of boat trailers, but no travel trailers before so my perspective is biased. Nonetheless, I was extremely surprised. More than enough power going up some steep grades and still passing semis going 55, and of course keeping it in 4th the whole time to protect the tranny.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the one trip I towed it on had high wind warnings and high profile vehicle caution advisory, yet it still did not move the FJ around based upon gusts on the trailer. I was planning to be going 20 mph in the shoulder on some parts due to the wind, and I didn't have to slow down below 50 the entire day.

Tim, I of course agree with you that the biggest detriment is the reduced visibility in the FJ out the rear, but I have helped that by installing a rear view wireless camera and transmitter on the bumper of the Airstream and the receiver to a 4" LCD screen on the flat space to the left of the steering column. In simple testing it seems to work great and we'll see how it holds up on my next trip. If it is still insufficient, I will get extender mirrors and that should be more than enough.

Hopefully that's some good FJ user feedback. Glad to see everyone is FJ Streamin!!!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' International
San Francisco , California
Thanks for the great info here. Any major issues with the hinged tail gate while the AS is hooked up? Thinking about a FJ to get the 4 wheel drive capability and I just enjoy the look and smaller package. Thanks
Old 03-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban71
Thanks for the great info here. Any major issues with the hinged tail gate while the AS is hooked up? Thinking about a FJ to get the 4 wheel drive capability and I just enjoy the look and smaller package. Thanks
Well, I have a vintage trailer, with a stubby a-frame, so my problem is probably on the extreme end, but I can only open the tailgate ~18 inches. I can't open the rear window either because I have a ladder over it, otherwise that would be the ideal access. I haven't found this to be a significant problem though. With 4 ppl in the car, the rear passengers grab whatever we need or we put it in the trailer. With 2 ppl, I just put everything in the backseat.

If you are getting a newer trailer you will probably have a little more freedom to open. Just put a piece of rubber or foam padding on the front right side of the jack so you don't scratch it or the door.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban71 View Post
Yup. Big swing tail gates don't get along with trailers...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' International
San Francisco , California
Yeah.....that's a problem. I love having the access of a lift gate. Don't designers ask AS owners before making these decisions. Come on Toyota!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2009 16' DWR
Venice , Florida
Urban71, I have a Hensley Cub hitch setup which puts the trailer back further from the back of the FJ. It allows me to open the rear door far enough to do most things.
hellsbay is offline   Reply With Quote