Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Asheville , North Carolina
Towing with Toyota Sequoia?

Hi there,
We have a 2006 Toyota Sequoia, V8 4.7 LT engine with Towing capacity of 6,500LBS. We currently tow a 2009 20' Flying Cloud and don't even know it's back there. We would like to upgrade to a 25' FC and I'm trying to find out if we need a stronger engine to tow, or if we are safe with current vehicle.
Thanks for your help on this. I hear so many conflicting stories.
John
John Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Hi John,

I think you should read the answers to this question the last time you asked it.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tml#post657456

I personally don't think it would be a problem as far as power is concerned. Maybe more issues with handling and braking.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
John,

I did not comment on your previous thread, so I will give you my thoughts. We once towed a 23' 1975 model with a Dodge pickup, 4.7 L engine, and although the truck handled the trailer with no problems, I was dissatisfied with the performance. And that trailer was about 4000 pounds +,-. So based on that, I know I would be dissatisfied towing a 6500 pound trailer with a vehicle powered as yours.

So later, I traded the Dodge for a GMC 1/2 ton truck with the towing package, 3.73 rear end gears, 5.3 L engine, and it towed the 23' beautifully. I was totally satisfied. But then, I traded the 23' trailer for an '01 25' which weighed over 6000 pounds. I was in trouble again. Dissasified with the truck's performance. You can read my signature and see what we now have, and by the way, I'm totally satisfied with the performance. However, you are the one that must make the call.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
As was mentioned previously and after having talked with a number of customers over time, you might want to look into the options of a sway bar and weight distribution hitches to accompany any set up you are running now. These "extras" become necessary especially when adding extra weight and size. Always, always follow the tow vehicle's manufacturer's recommendations and please don't exceed what you are comfortable driving.
MO Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moody View Post
Hi there,
We have a 2006 Toyota Sequoia, V8 4.7 LT engine with Towing capacity of 6,500LBS. We currently tow a 2009 20' Flying Cloud and don't even know it's back there. We would like to upgrade to a 25' FC and I'm trying to find out if we need a stronger engine to tow, or if we are safe with current vehicle.
Thanks for your help on this. I hear so many conflicting stories.
John
You should have no concerns about your Sequoia handling at 25' FC unless you're expectations are very high.

We tow a 2001 25 foot Safari SS (essentially identical in size/weight to a 25 FC) with our 2001 GMC (shorty) Yukon (essentially identical to your Sequioa in terms size/weight and performance).

The short wheelbase requires a good hitch system. (I swear by the Hensley). Power wise you will not be able to pass semi trucks on a 6% grade...and you'll be running in 2nd gear on any significant grade, but otherwise you'll have enough power to handle the trailer. In fact you'll get 1MPG better gas mileage that I do due to the superior Toyota engine (VVT).

Due to the limited payload you also won't be able to load the Sequoia with bricks when towing, but there's not much room for that anyway!

So unless want to compete with the super-duties on the highway, you will have no troubles IMO.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Concur!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
I tow my 2006 25' Safari FB with a Lexus 2005 GX470 which is similar to the Sequoia. Rated for 6500 lbs and the trailer fully loaded can go over the rating. But I checked with a few others who had the same rig with no problems. I watch it to not overload and carry too much water in the tanks but the 25' pulls well with a Reese hitch system.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Asheville , North Carolina
Thanks Lance,
I think after reviewing all the replies, and much appreciated, that we should get the Toyota Sequoia V8 5.7. I would not mind keeping what I have if we did not live in the mountains of NC, but think safety in strength is best here.
Kind regards,
John
John Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #9

2012 30' Classic
Castle Rock , Washington
Toyota Sequoia Towing Capacity

I'm a bit confused. My 2012 Toyota Sequoia has a sticker on the inside of the door that states it has a towing capacity of 7000 lbs.

My Airstream Classic 30 has a weight of 7285 without anything in it.

Is it safe for me to use my Sequoia to tow the trailer or should I be looking for another rig?

Thanks!

Cory
Cgraunitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgraunitz View Post
I'm a bit confused. My 2012 Toyota Sequoia has a sticker on the inside of the door that states it has a towing capacity of 7000 lbs.

My Airstream Classic 30 has a weight of 7285 without anything in it.

Is it safe for me to use my Sequoia to tow the trailer or should I be looking for another rig?

Thanks!

Cory

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your question, a fully loaded 30' Airstream would be somewhat taxing for the Sequoia or any half ton tow vehicle. It would not necessarily be impossible or unsafe, but you would need to be set up roperly for the best chance of success. A quality weight distribution/sway control hitch system would be a must. There is much here on these Forums about the various systems available. You may also need to consider replacing the tires on your Sequoia as the ones on there now may not be rated for towing a heavy trailer. This is a very important consideration as tire capacity is a significant safety factor.

Since you already have the Toyota, you might want to give it a try towing the Airstream to see if it meets your expectations.

Another consideration is your intended use of your Airstream. If you plan to tow your trailer 75 miles to the lake and keep it there most of the summer, and then bring it home in the fall, the Sequoia will probably be fine. On the other hand, if your plan includes a 12,000 mile tour of the U.S., you might want something heftier.

Please keep us posted as to your progress.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote