Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2015, 01:47 AM   #41

2000 27' Safari
Columbus , North Carolina
Range Rover

I have been towing Airstreams with Rovers since 2008. My first was 2008 23' Safari SE FB, 6500#, tow vech was a2006 LANDROVER LR3. I put aprox 20000 miles towing and 100,000 miles on the rover. The sites I could park on were extraordinary. I purchased a 2000 27' Safari 2 years ago and totally rebuilt it to a weight of 7500# and tow with a 2006 Range Rover Sport v8. I now have 110,000 miles on my Range Rover and full time in my 2000 airstream. I have no mechanical issues from the thousands of miles towing. I'm a 60 mph tow for fuel economy (13mpg). I use a propride hitch and experience a very stable ride under some of the worst conditions. The all time 4wheel drive with the incredible transmission and airbag suspension are a huge plus!
1Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:18 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
We have a 2008 Range Rover HSE. Max tongue wt 550 lbs and max tow wt 7700 lbs if tow has brakes. We are on our second trip with a 2014 International Serenity 25FB with tongue wt 833 lbs. and loaded 7300 lbs. Blue Ox weight distribution/sway bars reduce the tongue wt. to 550 lbs. traveling from the Portland, OR area over the coast range was no problem. The AS tows better than my 5000 lb. boat!
I am all for towing with smaller vehicles, but weight distribution doesn't reduce the tongue weight. It just creates a lever, think wheelbarrow, that transfers weight back to the trailer axles.

All this to say, I would always get my hitch reinforced the way Andy does, with a crossmember reducing stresses.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #43
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post

It should have the receiver reinforced and you should use a weight distribution system with it.
Andy / Andy -

Do you have specific information on how the receiver on a 2013+ RR should be re-inforced to support a tongue weight of ~750 lbs?

your advice / experience / guidance would be greatly appreciated.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:48 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Thanks everyone for the input here. With this advice, plus some received by private message, combined with hours and hours of research and interviews I have concluded the following:

The Range Range HSE 2015-2016 "dead hitch weight" is either 330 or 550 lbs depending on which model we're talking about. In either case, this is the limiting factor to using a Range Rover as a tow vehicle. Whether it's simply an intentionally low number used for certification purposes in Europe or because that truly all the manufacturer attorneys feel the vehicle can handle, it's almost irrelevant. Clearly it's capable of more than its published numbers because lots of people do it.

However, If you look at the dead hitch weight (tongue weight) capabilities of similar GM product, (Tahoe, Suburban, etc) the number is actually LOWER than the Range Rover at 500 lbs which suggests are better, stronger suspension capable of having more weight put on it.

The difference is that the GM product goes on to say that it's max tongue weight is 1000lbs when a weight distributing hitch is used. So theoretically, the same should be true on the Range Rover except that the owners manual specifically prohibits use of towing with the WD hitch. The reason for that is because of the super fancy ride leveling feature the Range Rover had and any outside influence on that feature would cause the system (a very expensive air suspension system) to "hunt" for the correct ride height while bouncing down the road.

For this reason, it seems almost "safer" to simply exceed the 550 (or 330lb) dead hitch weight but that would be a very bad idea with such nice and expensive equipment. It also begs the question whether your insurance company would cover you in the case of an accident.

In summary, my vote is "no." I will not be using a RR as a tow vehicle for my 25FB with a 800+ lb tongue weight.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:38 AM   #45
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Chaseav:
I am happy to hear you have elected not to use the Range Rover to tow this vehicle.
I also reviewed the closed thread from 2014. Ironically, the person in that thread asked almost the same question as you, and simply wasn't happy with the questions.

I LOVE land rovers. See my user name: Nashrover (on other boards known as nashvillerover). I have owned or driven every model land rover ever made (at least one of each), including series trucks, Range Rover Classics to MKIII's, Disco I- LR4, and when I got the airstream, I sold my last land rover and purchased a Ford F250. When traveling with my family, safety and reliability is paramount. When you own a land rover, you understand that the lack of reliability comes with it. Even with my LR3 (the most reliable I ever owned), I had challenges, like an alarm system that had a mind of its own! But pair that truck with a trailer that pushes the upper limits of its tow capability, and you are asking for trouble. Will it tow it? Yes. Will it tow it with reliability and safety? Maybe. Is it worth the risk 'because you already have the truck'? NO!

In the end, people who are Land Rover people are passionate about the brand— as passionate as Airstream people are about Airstreams. But, I have known many who have argued the merits of Land Rovers, who after some cataclysmic failure, now would never own another. My last experience was this past year with a 2010 Range Rover MKIII. Transmission failed. $14,700 to replace the transmission (I have the receipt to prove it). Thankfully, having owned over 30 land rovers won me a good will warranty on the tranny through Land Rover North America. And what did I do? Immediately traded the truck for the F250.
I still love the brand, but just don't own one anymore. If I ever buy another, I always do so knowing the risk.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks
D Jarrett
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:09 AM   #46

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Sammamish , Washington
Another Rover owner looking for REAL experience

Posted on another forum. Essentially, I just traded my Ford XLT 250 5.0L diesel (2003), consolidating with the old family sedan, and got a '16 RR Sport v6 diesel (7700# tow capacity), 254 HP and 440 ft lbs torque. I this weight distribution and anti sway system which manages tongue weight to 1200 lbs: https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...6/RP66084.html

However I'm still looking for ANYONE with real towing experience on the RR Sport Diesel. Thanks!!
boltonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Santa Monica , California
@boltonfish what have you found so far? Looking at a '17 RR Sport v6 diesel for the same purpose. Interested to know how it's going so far for you. Thanks!
rjbrown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:14 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
I don't have the diesel but I tow with this some times. I have found the RRS to be a great TV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2400.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	280670
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #49

2017 25' International
Juno Beach , Florida
Exclamation New International 25 FB owner looking for correct answer

Hello, I am excited to pick up my new 25 International in 3 days. I did not do the tow weight due diligence i should of, I found out today that my 2017 Range Rover has only a 550 Tounge weight limit and the 25 FB is 850 with the batteries and the Propane filled. ii called the Range Rover dealership and they said off the record no problem, but the official Range Rover statement is " your approx 300 lbs over the limit". can anybody tell me what is the worst thing that can happen? i live in florida , so there will not be a lot of mountain towing (hopefully in the future) but right now, i just want to make sure that i don't create a major problem. thank you for any Help.

Joseph

Twin Vee PowerCats
TwinVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:59 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
There are ample resources out there to explain why this is an awful idea. But specifically, if you are 300# or 70pct over tongue limit, imagine what is happening to your front drive wheels. The rear is pushed down causing the front to pop up. This means you have reduced driving control on the road. Should you have an accident, the word negligence will become a very familiar concept.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:54 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Towing with Range Rover

I have hauled both a 25FB and a 28 INTL (heaviest of Airstream hitch weights I think) with 2 different Rovers. You are going to need a weight distribution hitch (don't cheap out here). I used a Henley on the 25FB and a ProPride on the 28FT that is in the picture with the white Rover a couple of posts back. The above reader isn't experienced with Rovers as the air ride towing capability will keep the Rover more level than most trucks out there. You do need to understand the weight distribution hitch will put some additional stress on the air suspension system but I've never had any problems. Range Rovers have a lot of built in towing capabilities and will adjust a lot of settings when it senses the trailer is attached.

With the 28 INTL I haven't hauled with the Rover over any major mountains as Michigan is pretty flat. I have the V8 Rover with more towing capacity then your normal 1500 so going up the hill isn't a problem, the major issue you'll want to watch out for is being pushed down hill with all that weight behind a short axel tow vehicle.

We went over the Smokey Mountains last year but I used a 2500 truck for that.

FYI, I used a P2 Brake Controller with the Rovers. The 2012 was plug and play with the Ford adapter to the built in brake input that's located near the steering column. The newer 2015+ have the same connection but you'll need to switch a couple of wires. I posted this somewhere, let me try and find that.

What Rover will you be using? They are great tow vehicles, I'm sure you will love it.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:02 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Towing with Range Rover

Wiring harness info for the Rover brake controller.

**INFO** Valuable brake controller information

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...8&share_type=t
Old 04-02-2017, 06:39 AM   #53
Rivet Master

The reason I didn't buy a Range Rover was because of this thread but also one reason I never heard mentioned here. There are several guys on here that do it and say it's fine. There are others who have done it and regret it. Here's my bottom line: Let's say for a moment you get into an accident... will the insurance cover you? Or will they (or the Plaintiff's Attorney) argue that you knowingly and negligently operated a tow vehicle that was unable to handle that Airstream and that is why they won't cover you (and owe the Plaintiff millions of dollars.) If you can afford $180,000 worth of metal to go camping with you can afford to go buy a used tow vehicle able to handle your Airstream.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:08 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinVee View Post
Hello, I am excited to pick up my new 25 International in 3 days. I did not do the tow weight due diligence i should of, I found out today that my 2017 Range Rover has only a 550 Tounge weight limit and the 25 FB is 850 with the batteries and the Propane filled. ii called the Range Rover dealership and they said off the record no problem, but the official Range Rover statement is " your approx 300 lbs over the limit". can anybody tell me what is the worst thing that can happen? i live in florida , so there will not be a lot of mountain towing (hopefully in the future) but right now, i just want to make sure that i don't create a major problem. thank you for any Help.

Joseph

Twin Vee PowerCats
I'm sure someone will tell you that they have done that with no problem at all. I believe them. I'm also sure that there are folks that did it and had problems and do not necessarily post here to brag about it. So, your mileage may vary. These ratings exist to provide some form of predictability -- You know what you would get if you stay within the rating. Do you really think its prudent to exceed a hitch rating by 300# if someone on the internet tells you its fine? You have to decide on your own whether you belong to the "Someone did a (reckless) thing, nothing has happened (yet), should be fine for me to follow suit" club.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Sure like the above poster I am "someone on the internet". It would be a good suggestion to confirm the opinions you make here on the Forum with an expert. From what I read, I believe the best outfit that are experts in this area would be Can-Am. They have done a lot research on tow vehicles.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:46 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinVee View Post

Joseph

Twin Vee PowerCats
We towed our 25' FB International Serenity with a 2008 Range Rover HSE for one year. Land Rover installed a P2 brake controller as they had to run the harness because my rig was not pre-wired. We have the Westfalia OEM hitch rated 7,771# and yes our owner's manual states 550# tongue weight. I spoke with the service manager at Land Rover and his lead service tech. Both stated there would be no problem with 833# tongue weight with the proper weight distribution set up. After one year they inspected the hitch and found no crack or mounting issues on the unibody. If we were flatlanders we would still be towing with the Rover as she is a great TV, comfortable with a tight turning radius, but going up a long 6% grade at 45 MPH and being pushed into curves on the downside with a lot of braking moved us into the F350 we now have for a TV. Still have the Rover, love it for daily driver and road trips without the AS. Yes, I understand all the what-ifs on possible liability in the event of an accident, but the Rover is a more capable TV than a half-ton pickup at 6,000#, bigger brakes, transmission cooler, independent air suspension, etc. As Arkfortycal suggests, contact CanAm for expert advise, all we can give is our personal experience or opinions. Good luck and congratulations on you new AS.
Steve
Old 04-02-2017, 11:10 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Santa Monica , California
I really, really wanted a Rover to tow our new 2017 International 23FB. After countless hours of research, talking to many people, reading manuals, watching videos, etc - I decided it was not worth the risk. Too many open questions with the air suspension and WD hitches. We wound up buying a Lincoln Navigator and haven't looked back.

If you do wind up calling CanAm, they will tell you the Rover is a solid tow vehicle and can be made to work well - with one strong suggestion to reinforce the hitch. California is a long way from Canada so that wasn't really an option for us hence the move to Lincoln.
rjbrown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:37 AM   #58

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Sammamish , Washington
Decision: 23FB is the one for my RR

I have learned a great deal, like (vehicle weight + hitch weight) < GVWR, and the whole thing needs to be < GCWR. Luckily before committing to my trailer target. I wanted the car, so looking for the matching trailer rather than other way round .

So, my 2016 RR Sport HSE Td6: tow cap of 7716#, 23FB GVWR is 6000#; hitch max is 772#, 23FB is 467 (interestingly the LIGHTER than the 19', 20'FC, or 23', presumably because of the balance on the dbl axle). And at 254hp, 440 lb/ft @ 1750rpm, it should do well. The Land Rover web site says something like "it's a great set up for towing heavier loads."

I think the 25', especially with a short wheel base TV, is not for me. Now I'm hunting for a 23FB that maybe someone decided was just too small for them!
boltonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:36 AM   #59
Rivet Master

The most frustrating thing about the "choosing the right tow vehicle" process for me was ALLLLLLLLLL the conjecture and forums full of average Joe's with their opinions. To this day, nobody has been able to answer WHY the RR tongue weight is 550lbs regardless of use of a WD hitch. Specifically, why did RR choose this number? I read somewhere that it was because of a certification issue in the U.K. where if the tongue weight was over a certain limit, the vehicle was certified differently or taxed heavier. That lends to the idea that the vehicle is very capable of towing heavier but you'd never get anyone within their company to officially admit to it. I bought a Cadillac Escalade with the 6.2 liter in it and have been blown away by the performance. It's hitch weight though is 500lbs unless you have a WD hitch which bumps it to 1000. It doesn't have an air suspension but it does have a magnetic suspension which levels the vehicle out. (When I lower the AS onto the hitch it goes down very low but then the suspension picks the weight up and levels out perfectly.) The power is out of this world, shifting is not felt and I still get 12.5mpg average. Oh, and the Cadillac was $20,000 cheaper than the RR. Without the AS on it, it's a bit unrefined though... it's like it way over powered and under utilized. If anyone wants more info on this, PM me.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:56 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
...To this day, nobody has been able to answer WHY the RR tongue weight is 550lbs regardless of use of a WD hitch. Specifically, why did RR choose this number? ...
I doubt anyone but a RR engineer involved in spec'ing the RR could answer that question accurately. I suspect they might not even want to share why.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote