Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2019, 10:14 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Thumbs up Towing 25-foot Argosy with 1970s Ford Ranchero

Greetings BadCall!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosys!

What you are proposing is certainly within the realm of possibility, but do take into consideration several facts. The Ranchero/Torino platform was among those considered prime candidates for towing a 26' Argosy (with the maximum factory towing package) when both were new -- in fact, I believe that factory literature showed an Argosy being towed by a Torino wagon.

One of the most significant issues that comes to mind is that towing speeds in those days were often slower than today -- 55 to 60 MPH was considered fast which is unacceptable to many today. If one wishes to keep up with today's traffic, it means looking at at least a couple of issues: (1) installing LT tires on the tow vehicle -- OEM tires on most Rancheros were passenger car tires and the more flexible sidewalls are not conducive to stable towing. (2) installing a capable class III or IV receiver style hitch with built-in sway control as added insurance against sway -- I have always used Reese Dual Cam when towing with my Vintage automobiles.

A second issue to consider is longevity of your tow vehicle. The first issue that I learned with my 1965 Dodge Coronet 500 and its 383 cubic inch HP motor was that it is essential to have hardened valve seats machined into the heads if they weren't designed for unleaded fuel -- the first time the I towed with the car, I manage to ruin four valve seats and valves creating an unnecessarily expensive valve job. I also learned the value of adding an auxiliary automatic transmission cooler (rated at 12,000 pounds for my 26' Vintage Airstream) -- kept the automatic transmission in normal operating range at all times -- today, I would select one of the coolers with the optional thermostatic electric fan. You might consider an auxiliary motor oil cooler as well if the temperatures while towing are too far above where you want them.

Since I like to keep my Vintage tow vehicles as stock appearing as possible, I have searched around to find the best "clamp on" towing mirrors that I could find. My personal choice for the past two decades have been the McKesh Trailer Towing Mirrors with Convex Spot Mirrors on both sides. These mirrors are very stable and have long enough arms to permit a full line of vision around your coach -- and will last for a life-time of towing. You can often find a Vintage set of these mirrors on E-Bay or another of the "trader" sites. Parts to rebuild Vintage mirrors are readily available from the manufacturer. Several years ago, I rebuilt a pair of 1970s McKesh Mirrors that I purchased at a WBCCI International Rally Flea Market at a very reasonable price.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:22 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I think it will tow the car, but IMHO, you might what to tone down the cam with something that will give you good torque at a lower RPM. Iím sure there is something out there that will give you good performance. I would also rethink the air conditioning, but thatís just me. Get a good weight distribution hitch and put a class 3 or better hitch and receiver on the back. Oh, donít forget the brake controller too.

Iíll second all of that!

Actually, a high compression 351 on premium fuel might be just as nice as a properly set up 460. Gear it short to give say, 2600 rpm at 60 mph, and it might pull pretty respectable grades before it downshifts to 2nd. The key difference is that the small block makes less torque so it will need to turn a few hundred rpm faster to make the same horsepower.

Of course, youíd probably be using the much smaller C4 transmission unless you can find a correct C6 that will bolt to the small block. The C6 might be reason enough to use the big block.

The benefit is less weight on the front. The Ranchero/Torino platform was mid-size in its day.

A/C doesnít have to be expensive. There are DIY options that avoid the use of restricted refrigerants.

Weight distribution and hitch setup will be important. Andy Thomson at Can Am probably has first hand experience with early Ď70s Fords and will have insights for you.

A really interesting project. Keep us posted!
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:53 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
Drop by my house,and let me take a look at your ranchero.
You got plenty of power to pull. My only concern is, camenois and rancheros don't have a lot of weight on the rear end. Not good for towing dumping a 460 in there will make this situation more exacerbated. On the cool side, you lol be able to light em up for blocks pulling a trailor. That's always fun. 3:54 gears may be good. Posi helps too. Definetly get some torsion bars for the hitch. That will even out the weight distribution a little definitely trailor brakes. You may want to go with disc brakes on the trailor and upgrade to 4 wheel discs on th ranchero. Manual transmission give you more control too. Good luck DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:16 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Middleton , Wisconsin
I'm writing awesome long replys, but then I'm timed out and have to log back in and then it redirects to a blank page and I'm getting frustrated.

Thanks for all the replys! Beautiful rigs! That's all I can say until I figure this out.
BadCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:45 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCall View Post
I'm writing awesome long replys, but then I'm timed out and have to log back in and then it redirects to a blank page and I'm getting frustrated.

Thanks for all the replys! Beautiful rigs! That's all I can say until I figure this out.

Try writing your replies in Word or Notepad taking as long as you like. When done, copy and paste in the forums.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:58 AM   #46
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
"Bertha" towed a Scamp back in her Prime.
DW's Grandma took the Family to the Adirondacks every Summer...👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1c96.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	339349   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1c7a.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	339350  

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Love the car - love the thought of someoneís Grandma leading a family camping journey in it with a trailer. Too cool!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Here is my "hope to tow locally with" future tow vehicle.

Just sitting in the driveway waiting its turn to be worked on.Click image for larger version

Name:	wordswag_1506541850683.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	339588

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

Iím in the middle of planning a hot springs tour around Montana and Idaho and came across this photo on one of the websites.

Kinda cool
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:27 AM   #50
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Folks - there is a topic on here somewhere which is dedicated to classic car/truck tow vehicles, which is full of this sort of eye-candy.

It may be a nailed topic under tow vehicles, but I can't recall, and don't have it bookmarked on this newer laptop.

Might be worth someone with more time to find & post here.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:05 PM   #51
Vintagetrailer

Vintage Kin Owner
Helena , Montana
Kanusport-if you are planning a Hot Springs tour in MT and ID stop by our Fiddlers Picnic Rally on your way to Chico Hot Springs and the other one just north of YelliwstoneClick image for larger version

Name:	464BCB1A-68B0-413E-B091-5950AB40E2BE.png
Views:	79
Size:	838.3 KB
ID:	339681. And maybe the one in the river on the north end of Yellowstone. Also White Sulphur Springs is just up the road. Not to mention Bozeman Hot Springs
Dal Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:22 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

manchaca , Texas
Ranchero TV

Hi:
I have been an engine builder for 50 years and of course have built many 460's along the way. Some of my customers towed heavy boats, motorcycles and travel trailers. Most of the time the customer would specify the camshaft and 95% wanted performance camshafts. Through their experience I learned that a 460 with a performance cam was not the best choice for a TV. But we did find out that a cam grind called an "RV" grind worked extremely well in most situations. Some of the major suppliers still make this cam so might want to check it out.
I love the idea of how you have decided to set up the vehicle. One thought came to mind that someone else mentioned which is the braking system on the car. A wise idea to either install a separate vacuum pump system or install hydroboost. Either way you will be much safer and more comfortable, especially in freeway traffic.
I have to underscore the 3.54 gears. You might do just as well with 3.73's but you would have to sacrifice some mileage with them. I think the 460 will pull 3.54's without any trouble, however.
Last, I don't know what you choosing for the fuel system, but I would choose nothing less than fuel injection or TBI. There is a wonderful TBI system out there that allows you to trim the fuel while cruising which would be great for getting the best mileage. You will something that will supply at least 1000 cfm and is trimmable. Check Summit and other.
Good Luck---
labans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #53

Currently Looking...
Graysville , Tennessee
Ac

I'd seriously rethink AC. It's not so much being tough enough to handle the heat...that's the easy part. Those long trips with the windows down and it sounds like you'll be making a lot of them (I a bit jealous!), its more about damaging your hearing. Driving with the windows down is much louder and damaging to your hearing that you think!

I'm planning a 62 Catalina wagon for the same purpose right now.
stevieray400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:57 AM   #54

1978 25' Tradewind
Prescott,AZ. USA , Arizona
Retro towing

Just a note, I am currently restoring a 1978 Airstream Tradewind 25 ft., which I will be towing with my
1966 Chrysler Town and Country wagon. Even though the wagon has only 65K miles on the 325 hp. 383, I decided to modernize it, and will be installing a 2010 Dodge Charger 5.7 Hemi, and 518A trans which is the 727 with overdrive. This wagon weighs 5,000 lbs, and according to the owners manual, with minor modifications, is capable of towing 5600 lbs.
Sorry for all the gearhead talk, but basically, this is what was used to tow these trailers in the 50ís, 60ís, and 70ís. Some modifications to other parts will help with the overall performance, but basically, all the capacity you need is found in the big older wagons.
noeacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:01 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Middleton , Wisconsin
Gearhead talk? That's what this thread is all about!

Update: the 351c is back in the car. I need to pick up some tranny fluid, and other essential fluids, then it will be driving again.

I ended up with another 460, out of a wrecked (side hit) ambulance. So I can get the radiator, the ps pump, anything I want really. No charge, a friend bought the engine and transmission, but only wants the tranny. So, yeah. Another 460. If it runs nice, I could maybe sell the race motor. Maybe.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:19 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Middleton , Wisconsin
Oh, and pics. Pics are great.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:19 AM   #57
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by noeacres View Post
Just a note, I am currently restoring a 1978 Airstream Tradewind 25 ft., which I will be towing with my
1966 Chrysler Town and Country wagon. Even though the wagon has only 65K miles on the 325 hp. 383, I decided to modernize it, and will be installing a 2010 Dodge Charger 5.7 Hemi, and 518A trans which is the 727 with overdrive. This wagon weighs 5,000 lbs, and according to the owners manual, with minor modifications, is capable of towing 5600 lbs.
Sorry for all the gearhead talk, but basically, this is what was used to tow these trailers in the 50ís, 60ís, and 70ís. Some modifications to other parts will help with the overall performance, but basically, all the capacity you need is found in the big older wagons.

Just a note on the note ....

Even back in the day when sold new, the Big 3 usually offered a "towing package" or "towing option" on both their cars/wagons & trucks/suv's, which generally included HD components for radiator, oil cooler, AT fluid cooler, HD springs & sometimes other suspension components, power steering & power brakes or brake booster, bigger/wider mirrors, & other goodies to aid with towing.

My folks had the tow option/pkg. on both a `63 Olds 88 396 cid 2 bbl AT, & a `67 Chevy C-20 (3/4 ton) 327 cid 4 bbl AT pick-up - which also had their "camper package" (option) as well.

Some models after a certain point in the `60's also had optional front disc brakes for added stopping power, with or without the tow option/pkg.

My/Dad's `69 Pontiac Ventura 4dr HT had that option, along with the 400 cid 2 bbl (Regular gas version) 3-speed AT options - but at 7-10 mpg, it was still a "wallet buster" in the `73-74 oil crisis when gas went from $0.25 to $1.00-1.25 per gallon!

Then the owner was left to upgrade whatever else that was needed or prudent, but not included in that package. Think of watching the old Lucy & Desi movie "The Long, Long Trailer" scene when "Nicky" buys the new Mercury drop-top & the dealer tells him it's not enough to tow their trailer, then Nicky goes off to get it fitted out for towing their big trailer - including a "Slimp Dolly"!

Note that in "The Long, Long Trailer" they were pulling a 32' 9000+ lbs heavily constructed "Park Model" trailer - which was intended for more permanent parking & not touring, and which was beyond what most tow with cars. "The trailer, a 1953 New Moon, used in the film is 32 feet in length and weighed more than 3 tons total." (IMDb quote). We have it on DVD & play it on our TV/DVD in our `60 Avion at vintage trailer rally open houses.

Even for the movie's mountain pass scene, apparently they had to switch from the Merc convertible, to it's sister Lincoln model with a bigger & more powerful V8, in order to handle that beast of a trailer! So in that case, (V8) size does matter!

Bottom line - then as now - the engine gives you pulling power true - but the brakes give the stopping power, suspension & frame the carrying power & twist/torsion resistance, & towing mirrors & other accessories the ability to see, control sway, distribute weight, etc. You really still need to look at the total package.

And no you didn't nor don't have to have a big ole pick-up truck as the only tow vehicle, because AS and the other vintage kin"silver twinkies" & other smaller trailers were designed to be towed by the typical family car (properly equipped).

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote