Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2022, 10:45 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
tongue weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonFan View Post
No worries, dickbogaard. I just thought if you had a picture already - i had no intention of anyone to go to any trouble to take a picture.
Yes. I have been on Andersen's website. I am just concerned as to whether I might need the chain extensions to place the brackets behind the battery box. I still don't understand how you adjust for differences in tongue weight. For example - right now I have on nearly empty propane tank and an empty FW tank. If I were to fill both of those, I imagine that would add another ~230 lbs to the TW. I would think you need to tighten the chains significantly more for that added weight. I just don't know how you estimate how much tightening is needed. Do you simply measure the wheel well height of the tow vehicle, put the entire weight of the tongue on the ball and then start tightening the chains until you bring wheel well height back to it's original position?
The extra weight of the propane does not make that big of a difference. The nuts can be tightened way up very easily. When I first had mine, due to my mistake on installation, I had the nuts tightened up to 8 turns. The neoprene spacers were bulged way out but it did the job. Raising the ball one hole on the stinger made all the difference in the world and then I could go back to the 4 turns recommended.
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:25 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
Cannon, you asked for experts and I'm not one but:
I have a 19' and towed it with a Highlander and now a F-150 over the past seven years for 25 - 30,000 so some similar experience to you. The dealer originally recommended a Blue Ox hitch and that is what we've always used.
I have never had any towing problems - swaying, bouncing etc. And that has including a fair amount of mountain travel in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, British Columbia and Montana. I also recall high winds in Wyoming, Washington and Montana. It has included more interstate travel (i.e. semi-truck gusts) than I like to admit to. I am an experienced tower (horse trailers, boat trailers etc) but don't believe my expertise has much to do with my good luck and am unsure if the Blue Ox is the answer either - but the results seem good.
I do feel my tongue weight is a bit much, but have not weighed it recently, but have not tinkered with the propane tanks, though I do try to keep the water tank (which as you know is far forward) as empty as possible when on the road.
In summary - no problems, the Blue Ox is a minor pain to hook up (very minor) but for me it all works.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:21 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
LBelle - Good to hear someone pulling a 19' with a WD hitch with good success! Can you tell me which Blue Ox hitch you have? Which spring bars? There seems to be quite a few different models with a variety of spring bar weights. A bit overwhelming for me with so little experience with WD hitches. I'll do some more research on Blue Ox. Hopefully I can get this nailed down pretty soon.
CanonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:50 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
Canon: We have the BO "SwayPro", with the 550# bars and the 5 hole hitch (it looks that like that is no longer an option and the 7 would be more than enough - it was handy when I had to adjust the height going from the Highlander to the F-150.)
I do vouch for the Blue Ox because "it works well" but will admit it is a minor pain to hook-up/unhook, is a bit heavy (but it is sturdy!) and like all/most weight distribution systems a bother when the trainer is unhooked and the hitch is on the truck (protruding, dirty etc.)
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:52 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
LBelle - thank you for your reply. I'll take a look at the SwayPro and try to determine which bars I might need. I'm sure the 7-hole hitch would work fine for me. Then, I guess, I have to decide on BO or Andersen. A lot of research and decisions to make.

Thank to all of you for your comments, suggestions, and overall input.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:57 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I tow a 26' with a Tundra 5.7.
Airstream claims the tongue weight is 903 but on the Sherline scale mine is 1125 (!) Surprising because I don't have much stored up front.
I've always used the Equalizer hitch with 1000 pound bars and I'm at the upper end of adjustment, I'm using seven washers and could go more. The Tundra is softly sprung, so sag in the rear is common, especially with a generator.
I may go to an Equalizer with 1200# bars, although currently I'm cleaning up a Blue Ox Sway Pro with the 1500# tapered bars.
I hate to make drastic changes because the rig tows like a dream now. If it weren't for a photograph, I'd be totally happy.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:34 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Toyota Tundra 5.7L as TOW

We use a 2019 Toyota Tundra 5.7L double-cab with tow package, John’s favorite vehicle ever, and he built/remodeled houses for 37 years, so lots of trucks.

We own a 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB, at 30’-11”, the longest, heaviest FC.
John, acquired truck first, figuring on purchasing the 28-foot Flying Cloud, a reasonably good balancing act, TOW and trailer.

We’ve got 28,000+ miles on the rig, up-hill down-dell with our share of potholes and frost cracks.

Our biggest challenges along the way, no question, are steep downgrades. Anything under 6%, it’s a free ride, foot off the gas and only occasional use of breaks and tranny. 6% and above, it’s a different story, a very different story. John’s already discussed the two 10-percenters passing east-to-west through Death Valley’s Furnace Creek. Another edgy run was the downhill from Eisenhower Tunnel into Summit County, CO, and that because of the heavies in the slow lane . . . same-same, southbound on California’s Grapevine.

We’ve made the miles in good shape, but John advises against the match-up. Maybe the 28-footer or 27-footer, but NOT the 31-footer. The Tundra 5.7L has the pull power but is light on breaking with that much weight behind. (There are ways to get about the country with grades 6% and lower, but it does require some map study.)
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:13 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Metairie , Louisiana
Tundra light on payload

The original question seemed to be if anyone else has payload issues with the Tundra.
I have a ‘14 Tundra double cab 4x4 with a payload on the door sticker of 1400#. I pull a 23D with an actual tongue weight of 725# with full propane and 1/2 water. Hitch is a Blue Ox with 1000# bars. It pulls smooth and secure, stops well with the controller properly adjusted. MPG is about 11 unless in the hills.
With me and the wife, and gear in the bed, usually chairs, portable grill, etc I am constantly bumping the payload number. On the CAT scale, front and rear axle numbers are fine, but the total gets very close to the GVWR of 7100#.
To help the numbers, I no longer put any weight in the storage spaces forward of the trailer axles. I don’t try to tweak the numbers by holding less propane, I would rather have the fuel.
So, the Tundra is only limited in its trailering ability by the payload. Most half ton trucks have the same problem, if the user checks the numbers carefully. There are a lot of rigs out there severely over the payload limit because manufactures advertise pulling limits and not payload and we fall for the advertising without checking payload. BTW, the new Tundra is no better, from what I see, when you check the door sticker.
avonroemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:32 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avonroemer View Post
BTW, the new Tundra is no better, from what I see, when you check the door sticker.

Not any better and worse since they eliminated the leaf springs in favor of coil springs! Not a good idea in my opinion. Looks like I'll be looking at other brands when I finally have to replace mine.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:45 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I tow a 26' with a Tundra 5.7.
Airstream claims the tongue weight is 903 but on the Sherline scale mine is 1125 (!)
What does the sticker on your Tundra's door pillar say the payload rating is?
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:37 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
What does the sticker on your Tundra's door pillar say the payload rating is?
I think (if I recall correctly) it's 1550. I'm sure I'm over the official payload since I carry a generator and have a hard tonneau.
Do I want to trade my flawless Tundra that pulls like a dream for a F-250 that rides like a tractor and is not as reliable so I can have a sticker that sounds good?
No thanks.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote