Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wildwood , Missouri
Towing with a Ford Expedition Max

We are planning to buy a 28 International RB.
We bike quite a bit and want to keep our road bikes and tandem inside so we're limited to a SUV due to the length of the tandem.
The Ford Expedition Max will accommodate our bikes.
The Expedition Max with the tow package is rated at pulling 9,000 + lbs. with a tongue hitch weight of 900 lbs.
I don't see any of the Airstreams in the Air Forms being pulled by SUVs.
Am I missing them?
Will we be ok with the Expedition Max pulling a 28 International RB?
I sure would appreciate your input.
Thanks
Killerlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
There are many pulling with similar SUV's. It's not the best choice you can make, but it's not a fail either. We have a bed topper on our 3/4 ton and three bikes fit nicely along with more gear than we ever get around to using. Keep an open mind, there are many great ways to make it work.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
BIKES; Check the interior height. I HAVE 2 trikes that fold and have to put them in on their side. They barely fit. I say this because the trikes are smaller as described compared to a bike. Two bikes and a tandem ?, don't plan on anything else to be carried in MAX.
Power, should be plenty, but watch the weight.
mj
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:09 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
We are in the process of locating a 27 Flying cloud and have the same issue....I want to bring my mountain and road bike and my wife will bring her cruiser. No easy answer but we're leaning toward buying a TV that will act as storage for the bikes. I think we'll settle with a cap on the f250. Not a great option but the bikes gotta come long and need to be able to be locked and out of the weather. Enjoy and good luck with making it work.
914Next is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:25 PM   #5
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
We have two sport bikes, two adventure touring bikes with wider tires, two city bikes, and have now sold the tandem. We were looking for a way to take multiple bikes along. None of the bikes were well suited to a rear rack on the trailer. A pickups was a non starter. Apart from an Expedition (we used to have two) or a Ford Transit (which didn't serve the other needs) I sketched out modifications to a 30' FC Bunk. Remove the rear upper bunk and mattresses, and build a bike garage. Never did it, but thought about it for quite a while. Eventually decided we had to live with only two bikes per trip.

For the OP, I would go with the Expedition or Expedition Max. It will tow better than a pickup due to the independent rear suspension. Lots of power. You will need to watch how much stuff you bring along, but that is worth doing in any case.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
We have many customers who tow with Expeditions as long as the hitch system is configured properly it will work very nicely. The 2021 Suburban finally has independent rear suspension so you could consider it as well. Get the 20” wheels on either.
If you like send me an email and I can send you information on how to do the hitch correctly. andy@canamrv.ca

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I tow a 25' FC with an Expedition (not max) I carry two dog crates (medium and small) and two bikes (wheels removed). Tows great.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:19 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
2023 30' International
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Watch your payload and Max Tongue weight

We used to tow our FC 27FB with a 2018 Ford Expedition, It only had a 9200 lb max tow capacity total and 920 lb max tongue weight. It only had 1521 Payload. Our FC 27FB when loaded with a Propride hitch had a tongue weight over 1150 lbs. I didn't want to chance going over payload or max tongue weight. We sold the Expedition and now tow with a Ford SuperDuty and feel much safer and our overall experience has greatly improved.
wilsodf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsodf View Post
We used to tow our FC 27FB with a 2018 Ford Expedition, It only had a 9200 lb max tow capacity total and 920 lb max tongue weight. It only had 1521 Payload. Our FC 27FB when loaded with a Propride hitch had a tongue weight over 1150 lbs. I didn't want to chance going over payload or max tongue weight. We sold the Expedition and now tow with a Ford SuperDuty and feel much safer and our overall experience has greatly improved.
Wilsodf makes great, important, point! The 28' also has heavy tongue weight, actually heavier then 30'! Our 28' weighed in at 1100lbs on the scales... You surely can "tow" with the Expedition (or most any TV), but if you want to carry any additional cargo (generator, bbq, fire pit, propane, camp gear) you need to be aware of the actual payload on the sticker in the door jamb...not the specs from Ford (or any of the smart sales folks).

As for carrying bikes, the Fiama has worked for us and many others here on the Forum, for many years and many Airstreams...other option is store inside the AS; or as many do with pickups as TV, if you get a 3/4T-1T pickup, should have enough payload (2000lbs+) to carry all your gear plus! Believe me, towing with a larger TV is the way to go...relax and enjoy the ride!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Need for bike space in tow vehicle

Take a look at a Nissan NV3500 SL passenger van. Rated to tow 8700 LBS and it has a 2500 LB cargo capacity. Remove the 2 back rows of seats (still have seating for 5 after seat removal) and I bet you can put you bikes in with room and lots of cargo capacity remaining. The seats that you remove will weigh about 400 LBS so you now have 2900 LBS of cargo capacity. The NV3500 is a tow horse and does not drive like a 1 ton rated vehicle. You owe it to yourself to go test drive one. They are priced very well. You can get a new one completely loaded for just over $40k!!!! a heck of a bargain for the amount of vehicle you get. My good friend just scored one to pull his Lance trailer. Very nice!
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:28 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Asheville , North Carolina
We have a 2019 Ford Expedition Platinum Max and toe a 2014 Flying Cloud 30’. We have a Pro Pride hitch set up. 2 adults 2 dogs, 2 bicycles on the rear of the AS. 4 plastic containers inside the rear of the Expedition with cooking equipment. We are 100% level. The expedition toes like a dream and we’ve never had a single issue. Towed from East Coast to West Coast and lots of in between.
John Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Asheville , North Carolina
We have a 2019 Ford Expedition Platinum Max and tow a 2014 Flying Cloud 30’. We have a Pro Pride hitch set up. 2 adults 2 dogs, 2 bicycles on the rear of the AS. 4 plastic containers inside the rear of the Expedition with cooking equipment. We are 100% level. The expedition toes like a dream and we’ve never had a single issue. Towed from East Coast to West Coast and lots of in between.
John Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Jefferson City , Missouri
Our Experience

We have a 2019 Expedition Max with the HD towing package and 3.73 rear axle. The TV did a commendable job towing our 2019 FS 25FBT trailer. No issues to speak of and we were most likely maxed out on the tongue weight. Your trailer has different specs but hopefully our experience helps. I would not increase the tongue weight though.
Jsailmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #14

2021 25' Flying Cloud
SF Bayarea , California
We have a 2020 Ford Expedition 4x4 (regular not max) with the HD tow package and it tows our FC 25 just fine. As others have noted across many threads, tongue weight needs to be a serious consideration. We also have 2 pretty lightweight road/gravel bikes and are debating putting them in the back of the SUV or investing in the Fiamma rear bike rack for the AS. Not crazy about someone drilling into the AS for a bike rack so they will likely end up inside.
MikeCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Mesa , Arizona
The tongue weight is probably going to be the problem with the 28ft international. On my 28ft international the tongue weight of a loaded ready to go trailer is 1160. I have checked it both on a sherline scale and at the cat scale. As others have said the tongue weight is much higher than Airstream publishes.
kdfulsome54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:49 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
2023 30' International
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Max Tongue would be an issue

We experienced the same thing, with our tongue weight at 1150 lbs, we were 230 lbs over the max tongue weight, with 1521 lbs of payload, that only left us 371 lbs left for my wife and I and cargo. We also had the HD tow package. We didn't feel comfortable towing over max capacity tongue weight and over payload. Yes our Expedition towed great, but knowing that we were over our capacity, my mind kept telling me I was pushing it. I also read from someone on this forum, if you are over your limits and get into an accident, there is a possibility that if insurance figured that out, they wouldn't cover. Not sure of that is true, I just read it an number of times on other threads.
wilsodf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Mine is a 2013 Max (well, it was called the EL back then) and 4x4 with tow package. so tow rating is 8900lbs trailer/890lbs tongue weight with weight distribution.

Payload is ~1400lbs, tongue weight of my 2015 FC25RB is between 825-900lbs depending on how we are loaded (I sue a shoreline scale).

FYI: We moved the batteries off the tongue and under the driver side couch so that lightens he tongue weight compared to others. Oh, and they are Lithium now too.

We have a pro pride hitch but ran in to the issue below with our old Equal-i-zer too:

The issue is the Rear GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) which is 4200lbs on my Expedition. We are always +- 50lbs on the rear axle.

Other than that no problems. Really like the Expy. Great SUV. Might get a new one next year.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsodf View Post
We experienced the same thing, with our tongue weight at 1150 lbs, we were 230 lbs over the max tongue weight, with 1521 lbs of payload, that only left us 371 lbs left for my wife and I and cargo. We also had the HD tow package. We didn't feel comfortable towing over max capacity tongue weight and over payload. Yes our Expedition towed great, but knowing that we were over our capacity, my mind kept telling me I was pushing it. I also read from someone on this forum, if you are over your limits and get into an accident, there is a possibility that if insurance figured that out, they wouldn't cover. Not sure of that is true, I just read it an number of times on other threads.
I have posted about "payload" a few times here. My son was in a rollover accident while on a ski trip while in collage many years ago in our Expedition, caused by wind and weather conditions in Colorado. This was during the time when Ford had the Firestone tire issues also. One of the 6 passengers was injured and her father sued us and Ford. Ford insurance guys gathered all the information on passengers weight, roof top luggage, and other gear on board, for the litigation. Our insurance and Ford ended up paying. I am cautious about being in spec on my TV due to that experience.

Payload was never something I was concerned about early on with my first 25' AS and I actually went from a Tahoe to an F150 Platinum 4x4 without looking at the actual doorjamb sticker.. Sales guy had told me the payload on all the Fords would handle the 25' AS no problem. Heck, it's a pickup, right??...2 years later, I discovered it was only 1039lbs on the door jamb sticker...what a shocker! I had been driving around overloaded most trips and did not know...The F150 had plenty power, and room to carry lots of gear...but I never weighed it first couple years, thinking all was well...it was reading the Forum that helped me understand importance of being within your vehicle specs; at least for me, this is pretty important.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 10-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Point , Oregon
Expy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerlumber View Post
We are planning to buy a 28 International RB.
We bike quite a bit and want to keep our road bikes and tandem inside so we're limited to a SUV due to the length of the tandem.
The Ford Expedition Max will accommodate our bikes.
The Expedition Max with the tow package is rated at pulling 9,000 + lbs. with a tongue hitch weight of 900 lbs.
I don't see any of the Airstreams in the Air Forms being pulled by SUVs.
Am I missing them?
Will we be ok with the Expedition Max pulling a 28 International RB?
I sure would appreciate your input.
Thanks
I tow a 23CB Flying Cloud with my 2019 Expedition Max Platinum with Tow Package. It’s a beast. You’d have to check the weight of your trailer and add for stuff in it while towing. I added a hitch to the back of my Airstream so I can add a bike rack. That way you can easily access the bikes while towing—it’s be hard to get them out of the SUV trunk while towing.

Here’s the Beast on the Continental Divide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E709E29-BAEB-4478-9F57-1CD27BC6DE11.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	382077   Click image for larger version

Name:	BA687E53-4CD8-4800-BFB1-9119DC31B416.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	382078  

A.S. Beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.S. Beauty View Post
I tow a 23CB Flying Cloud with my 2019 Expedition Max Platinum with Tow Package. It’s a beast. You’d have to check the weight of your trailer and add for stuff in it while towing. I added a hitch to the back of my Airstream so I can add a bike rack. That way you can easily access the bikes while towing—it’s be hard to get them out of the SUV trunk while towing.

Here’s the Beast on the Continental Divide.
Not sure if you have gotten any feedback on how that bike "wags" when driving, but I would be concerned if your using just a "hitch" type rack which it looks like? My friend just had his "hitch" type rack on his Lance removed because of all the side to side movement when loaded with his bikes, and those were not electric... I know some folks here do have a hitch type carriers but I also know AS does not recommend.. maybe not an issue with your 23'?