Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Colo Spgs , Colorado
Hola Mr Ohio

I do not know where to start.

Since you have the GM rear axle with the 3.08 gears, you have an non-towing ratio. The original ratio ( 4.11/3.91's or the like ) would be fine to match the max torque of the 1949 engine at 1200 RPM's .

The GM rear axle also means you have two wheels which match the front size and two wheels which match the rear size. Which one gets to have a spare to be carried in the spare tire space ???

The three one barrel carb's sound neat. How are they for an load ???

I do like the idea of the late eighties four spd transmission from the S-10 in your Plymouth. It gives you the chance to "walk" up to hwy spd while towing.

In your statement, are you saying that you have switched from six volts Pos Ground to 12 volts neg grd ???

Please look under the rear frame section and start thinking ... how am I going to fasten a full frame reciever ( hitch ) to this ? Up until the late seventies metal shops fab'd hitches to the vehicles to most heavy trailer needs.

The load ability of the 60 or 70 series tire is good for the lawn mower trailer. Un-less you have cut half your car apart, the 195 x 75 x 15 tire is about correct for the Pymouth. I use 75's but at a differant size due to the larger car.

For the Trailer Brake Controler I use the Keyly-Hayes unit that has the "T" off of the master brake reserve and the built in resistor. I wanted the ole tyme look, not something digital.

I have an 1947 De Soto and I have gone through all of this. Eleven years ago when I got the De Soto, there seemed to be no one to aid me.

As you know, any vehicle can/should stop in a shorter distance with an trailer than w/out.

If I am able to influence you, I would say go no larger than AS's shortest dual axle trailer for lenght. I picked a 1970 AS since it seemed to have the look and lower weight of the older trailer's, while having some of the newer item's.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Rodger with a D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Juel
That's a neat pic Thanks. I bet that Ford will pull it.
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote