Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2008, 06:40 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
My caution is that expressed by my insurance agent. In the event of accident, if I'm exceeding the tow capacity of my vehicle, it could end up being my problem. Jack
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
The only problem with Cummins is the chassis in which they are mounted. Swiss cheese frames weak steering boxes less then capeable tranny and transfer case. This was all documented by chrysler. If they are parked on a not level surface with a load complaints have come in of steering alignment problems due to frame twist. Ya Cummins builds 1 hell of an engine. They all have been horribly detuned for there chassis. I don know that the Duraturd is any better, lord knows powerstroke (international) has had there issues. I hope the new breed of deisels is better but the added maintenance of deisel isnt hardly worth it.(oil capacity) ect... I wouldnt own one because deisel is so close to heating oil in refineing, that is why the price is so volital.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:05 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
2005 16' International CCD
2012 27' FB International
Salt Lake City , Utah
We just bought a 25ft. 1991 Excella, we agonized over what to pull it with and thought we would try the vehicle we currently had, a 2003 Lincoln Aviator... man were we wrong!! We quickly took it back off the interstate and cancelled our trip. As they say, the tail was wagging the dog big time!! We then tried to figure out what would do the best pulling this trailer safetly and after looking at several 1/2 ton trucks and considering that we live up in the mountains and do a lot of pulling up steep grades, we settled on a 3/4 Ton F-250 desiel. The truck pulls the trailer very nicely and even when large semi's pass by, we don't feel a thing. If a feeling of confidence and safety are important, we would definately suggest this size of vehicle. You can certainly pull a trailer this size with a 1/2 ton truck and I would only suggest it if you aren't going to use your trialer very much.
Utahgoldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #24
Raj Mahal

1990 29' Excella
lethbridge , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
The only problem with Cummins is the chassis in which they are mounted. Swiss cheese frames weak steering boxes less then capeable tranny and transfer case. This was all documented by chrysler. If they are parked on a not level surface with a load complaints have come in of steering alignment problems due to frame twist. Ya Cummins builds 1 hell of an engine. They all have been horribly detuned for there chassis. I don know that the Duraturd is any better, lord knows powerstroke (international) has had there issues. I hope the new breed of deisels is better but the added maintenance of deisel isnt hardly worth it.(oil capacity) ect... I wouldnt own one because deisel is so close to heating oil in refineing, that is why the price is so volital.
I guess you didn't read my post too closely.

This truck has travelled backroad Mexico,mountains of Northern BC and the endless expanses of the badlands and prairies--never stumbled once!

Swiss cheese frame is an unwarranted exaggeration.You buy what you want and I will buy another Dodge 250 Cummins without hesitation--if I ever wear this one out!!
ShikariJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #25
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
I have talked to a few people that were pulling Airstream from 25-27 ft with a Nissan titan and they had pretty good things to say. One couple was a elderly couple that had been fulltiming it for 6mths, and are probably still full timing it. the other guy complained more about his window not working correctly and some other stuff then the towing capability.
that being said if your looking for a titan My cousin's husband just went and bought a new 4x4 4door at a dealership in Joplin Mo they are selling them from 25 to 45% of sticker i know he got a hell of a deal on his.
on a personal note i pull a 29ft er with a 2000 Z71 5.3liter Chevy it is really under powered if am pulling up a real step grad or hilly country but i plan on ether upgrading to ether a 6.0 liter gm or duramax have yet to decide
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Longview , Washington
Tundra

The 2008 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 4X4 has a rated capacity of 10,100 pounds for towing. My new Safari 25 SS/SE has a weight of about 5500 dry weight. Even fully loaded, I'm still going to come in under the recommended 80%. The 28 foot International CCD has a GVWR of 7300 pounds. It sounds perfectly reasonable to me to be towing with this truck. I've spent a lot of time researching on Tundra Solutions forums, and there are lots of reports of people towing much larger fifth wheels than this. I haven't yet made a purchase, but I've found that a lot of people are basing their decisions on personal experience, rather than published data (which is understandable). I've decided to research my decision, rather than use a lot of anecdotal reports of "the right way" to do it.
msmst25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
As many have pointed out, it's not the towing capacity of the Tundra, it is the fact that with only a 1560 lb. PAYLOAD limit, by the time you put-on 700 to 800 lbs. of hitch weight, then add fuel, people, propane, and some extra junk in the bed, your over the limit. The tow capacity is based on an empty vehicle, with 1 (one) 150lb. person in vehicle, and NOTHING else.
Horsepower is not the issue, weight of vehicle for stability, and payload capacity are. Many of the older simi-trucks of the past had only 200 to 250 HP, but had chassis weight, and carrying capacity to haul to the licencing limits of govt. agencys.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikariJones View Post
I guess you didn't read my post too closely.

This truck has travelled backroad Mexico,mountains of Northern BC and the endless expanses of the badlands and prairies--never stumbled once!

Swiss cheese frame is an unwarranted exaggeration.You buy what you want and I will buy another Dodge 250 Cummins without hesitation--if I ever wear this one out!!
I repeat Cummins is a great motor, The Dodge issues are just that and documented by Dodge. Hopefully they have or will correct them. Also can you tell I like Ford dont worry I get my fair share at the track from the chevy guys.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
DuBois , Pennsylvania
Ah yes...Religion, politics and what brand of truck to buy. Guaranteed fight starters everytime!!

I pull an 06 31' Classic. I tow it with an 05 Dodge 3/4 with the Cummins and a 6-spd(also added the engine brake and a Hensley Hitch).
Without the trailer, the truck has returned up to 22.5 mpg and with the trailer attached about 14.5.

For every person that tells you to get a 3/4 ton, there will be an equal number that will say that a 1/2 ton is fine.

I sold a Boss mustang that I owned to a guy from NC(I live in PA). He shows up at my door with a Nissan and a 16 ft landscape trailer(and no trailer brake).No way I would have attempted it with that rig...I would have borrowed a 20' car trailer and a 3/4 or 1ton diesel. He hauled it home with no problems.....

My point is, everyone has a different way. From the rig I assembled, you can figure out the route I selected.
I should let it alone...but I can't. I am a big FORD guy but I ordered a Dodge after I did my research. Figure that Ford shouldn't let the owners find the problems with the 6.0 engine. Maybe the 6.7 twin will be OK.
I wish you the best...
Streamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Last year I bought a F150, never really expecting to actually own an Airstream. We bought our 63 Ambassador and assumed it would pull behind the Ford just fine. Unfortunately, I am now wishing I had bought an F250 Powerstroke. On the flat lands the F150 does fine but on the hills, slows to a crawl. So now I am looking at taking a major hit on the F150 just to get rid of it so I can get a larger truck. I want the confidence of having plenty of power and the ability to trade up on trailers if I decide to.

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
I like big trucks. I was pulling my 34' with a 3/4 ton Powerstroke (7.3 liter) and a Hensley which did fine (14 mpg loaded). I upgraded to a 1 ton dually Powerstroke (7.3liter) with Hensley and now forget the trailer is back their. Better to ere on the bigger side in my humble opinion.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:06 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
I'd go with a Yugo if it were me, one with the snazzy fold back sun roof.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:32 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I had a neighbor with a Yugo. The front seat in total would tilt forward to access the back seat, Carefully because if you slammed the seat forward it would contact the windshield and knock it out. So he said.. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 AM   #34
Raj Mahal

1990 29' Excella
lethbridge , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmst25 View Post
The 2008 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 4X4 has a rated capacity of 10,100 pounds for towing. My new Safari 25 SS/SE has a weight of about 5500 dry weight. Even fully loaded, I'm still going to come in under the recommended 80%. The 28 foot International CCD has a GVWR of 7300 pounds. It sounds perfectly reasonable to me to be towing with this truck. I've spent a lot of time researching on Tundra Solutions forums, and there are lots of reports of people towing much larger fifth wheels than this. I haven't yet made a purchase, but I've found that a lot of people are basing their decisions on personal experience, rather than published data (which is understandable). I've decided to research my decision, rather than use a lot of anecdotal reports of "the right way" to do it.
Thats cool but if you are not interested in the anecdotal reports of some pretty savvy people on this site--why bother coming here?
ShikariJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikariJones View Post
Thats cool but if you are not interested in the anecdotal reports of some pretty savvy people on this site--why bother coming here?

What they said.
The personal experience of others is a great teacher.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
My, oh my, oh my, I still must be living in the good ole days when the Nissan and Toyota were just 1/4 ton. I know i've heard the stories that a Tundra would tow a 27' unit but I still have a hard time believing it. My first AS was a 71 27' International and I could pull it O.K. with my 1/2 ton Suburban. However when I moved up to the 28' Excella the weight increased and I really would be afraid to pull it with the 1/2 ton. I now have an older F250 with the 460 and granted, I gave up on mileage but I have the comfort that I will not have any problems in the mountains. Where we live if we go anywhere we have to cross as high as 11,000 feet so I want something that has the umph to get over the hill.

Good luck in your decision.
Bob
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
It is my opinion that folks should buy the truck they want, as long as it serves their needs, and of course, is safe doing it.

However, I also know from personal experience the 1/2 ton trucks of today, are much different than from just a few years ago. In the past I towed all sorts of trailers with 1/2, and 3/4 ton trucks, and all were with small block engines (350 Chevys and 360 Dodges). While they got the job done, they were stuggling with a 24' Argosy because they had a whopping 210 horsepower.

The engine in my current truck, an 07 GMC 1/2 ton, a 5.3 Liter and even smaller displacement than the old trucks I had, has 315 HP, and pulls like no 1/2 ton truck I've ever had. Yes, you have to gear down and let it turn up the RPM at times on the long hills, but that's what it's built for, and believe me, it pulls. Aditionally, the trucks suspension, frame, and brakes makes the old truck's look like toys.

We pulled our Airstream (23' at the time) 11,000 miles this summer to Alaska and back. In retrospect, we did it too fast (28 days), but the point is, we went over every mountain pass between here and Alaska, and most in Alaska, and never once did I wish for more power. Some days we drove over 500 miles, so we were not letting the grass grow under our wheels. All this, and we averaged 12.1 MPG for the entire 11,000 miles. On the trip, I talked with many Diesel owners that were not getting any better mileage. I am more than satisfied with my 1/2 ton.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
Quote:
I am looking to purchase a airstream in the 25 to 30 ft size and want to get the right tow vehicle prior to purchasing the trailor. I am looking at the Nissan Titan with 5.6L gas V8 with the tow pkg. Anyone have any expiernce with this vehicle or recommendations for alternatives?
Any feedback would be most appreciated.
I tow my Classic 25 with a Titan (tow pkg.) with no problems. Unlike a diesel, you need to keep the revs up when going uphill as you need to make horsepower - but the engine is designed for it. Would I tow a larger trailer with the Titan? No way, but it is just fine for what I have.

Quote:
The Titan will get about 16 mpg not towing, and around 9 towing
No way! The worst I have gotten was 10 mpg towing at 65 through the Adirondack Mountains. Now I travel at 55 - 60 and get anywhere between 12 - 14 depending on conditions/terrain.
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Interesting point on the Titan. It is true that trucks now are far more than they have ever been. Makes for a tough decision.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #40
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
The 2008 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 4X4 has a rated capacity of 10,100 pounds for towing. It sounds perfectly reasonable to me to be towing with this truck.
Sounds like you've already made up your mind I pretty much did the same thing with my Ford diesel but that was after had towed my 30' Classic with my "old" truck, an F250 V-10 gasser. The difference was amazing with the diesel. However, I probably would of argued otherwise had I not experienced the difference... anecdotally... IMHO...

Quote:
I spent a lot of time researching on Tundra Solutions forums...
By golly and I'll bet their reports were glowing as to their virtues...! They're cool looking trucks. 'Course, Fords' website said the same thing... as did Chevy, Dodge, Nissan, etc., etc...

Quote:
I haven't yet made a purchase, but I've found that a lot of people are basing their decisions on personal experience, rather than published data (which is understandable). I've decided to research my decision, rather than use a lot of anecdotal reports of "the right way" to do it.
Research includes many different sources of data, including 'anecdotal' (which by the way, is the source of a large amount of published "data" where the 'postulate' is tested). I'd suggest looking for consistency in folks "personal experience" with each model/make - there's a boat-load of tow vehicle threads/information here, so buckle down, do the research. Sometimes, if enough people are saying the same thing about the same thing, chances are they're on to something... that's what recalls are made up of.

Unless of course they're talking about UFO's...

Options! Choice! That's what makes this country great. And capitalism work. Rangebowdrie below makes a good point regarding payload limit... but what the hay, Toyota makes a good vehicle. Good luck with both of you're purchases!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote