Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #21

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I think thay I would weight that 27FB, ready to roll. I'll bet she goes
+/- 8,500#. That a good ways out of my comfort zone teamed with a half ton truck. The escalade has the engine juice to do the job, but doesn't have the brakes, wheels/tires, suspension, or frame.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
...and what happens when he fills it up?

My point is that the issue is bigger as he moves forward. Is he always going to tow it empty?
I gave the suggestion of tow/haul for his empty tow, but when he fills it, he is for sure going to go beyond the rated specs, without question which is ill advised by GM.
Agreed - he should not add on more than 1 ton of gear, fluids and people. And make sure that it is distributed according to the both the CCD's and Caddy's GVWR.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by evsjr
I was bringing my brand new 27 FB Classic home with low milage 2007 Escalade ESV. Rig was empty and well within 14,000 lb. total weight rating of Escalade. When pulling long uphill at 91 degree temp., transmission temp passed 200 deg F. I pulled over for cooldown. Is this normal and any suggestions on how to acieve better transmission cooling? There is a factory installed trans cooler but does not look very robust. Thanks for any help. evsjr
Hi, I wouldn't worry about the 200 degrees trans temperature. Was that temp in the red on your gauge? What does your owner's manual say about your trans temp gauge? [safe zone] I would be more concerned about going over the limits of your Escalade. Some of us don't carry enough stuff to max out our trailer's GVWR, but other than bringing your new trailer home, I don't think you or anyone else out there tows with an empty, bone dry trailer; Not to mention an unloaded tow vehicle.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:36 PM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
IMHO, 200 degrees is really the max I would want to see. Also, I re-read this thread and there is a significant difference between fully synthetic and blended synthetic motor oil. I have tried to go fully synthetic where I can and have used Amsoil (and no I don't work for them). In that case, the oil might take more abuse, but the plates, and such in the trans beyond a say 225 degrees won't for long. I basically do it because I think there is a benefit, particularly in shock heat....then I look at my old 1980 Oldsmobeater Delta 88 that I changed fluids in regularly with conventional oils and at 170k, burned no oil and ran like a top......and though it never towed more than 3000lbs, it did tow regularly....of course I replaced the trans at 80k, and starters a number of times.......and water pumps.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
1983 34' Excella
Naples , Florida
More escalade issues with a '27?

Hello EVSJR,

I too have a 2007 Escalade esv & am curious regarding your towing experience. Having towed small trailers with the towing mode, I know this greatly influences the drive & makes decelerating and braking that much easier. It seems as though this combo is on the borderline, from what I read in the posts. Were you driving with the tow mode? Did you have any issues with braking? Have you towed much since your home drive?

We are a family of 6 (4 small girls) & we need the largest possible trailer. We would love a newer '27 classic, yet am looking at refurbishing a 1980s model to get to the '30 range as well. We plan on front twins & adding bunks. I will also be towing just occasionally & mainly in Florida -nice & flat. In terms of travelling light, it is absolutely impossible, for I seem to travel at all times with at least one ton of baby wipes!

I know that TVs come & go -as I was reminded on the forum here, yet for everyday use, I really love my escalade & for lots of children, it can't be beat!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you, Helen
Hhthorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
My .02 cents.
I just had an auxillary tranny cooler and gauge installed.
My transmission mechanic(who runs his own shop) suggests getting the largest tranny cooler possible. He also suggested to keep the tranny temps below 200.

I went with a 20,000 btu cooler and a digital tranny temp gauge. It lowered the tranny temp by about 30-40 degrees. Temps now run about 140-150 without trailer.
I'm anxious to try it out now that camping season is about here.
Don
nymphfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Most of the heat in a tranny is going to come from the torque converter. Having the temp between 150 and 185 is IMHO the sweet spot. You can put synthetic oils in all day long and if you get well beyond 200 degrees, the oil, though still good, won't matter too much cause the trans internals will start to warp and degrade. At the very least trans life will be diminished. In GM land, newer trucks that go over 200 degrees, not sure what the actual cutoff is, the computer will put the truck into "limp mode" until the trans temp drops to a safer temp. The key though is not to allow it to get that high if at all possible.

I would guess that my current trans cooler in my 04 3/4 ton burb is the same or around the same as what is found in the Caddy being talked about here.

Again, using tow/haul mode, locks the torque converters sooner than later and adjust shift point and slows the transmission from hunting gears freq.

I just go back from a trip from the Louisville area where there is a very steep grade that is about a mile long. I had the truck in tow/haul and kept it in 2nd gear as well. I noticed that my trans temp went up about 25 degrees in the uphill tow. Still well below 200, I would guess that if you plan heavy mountain towing that a larger trans cooler or an additional trans cooler, is not a bad idea, regardless if you have a 1/2 ton or larger. Much over 200 degrees is not a good place to be for a trans.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote