Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Towing MPG thread

For those that pull a 30' AS I would like to know what you tow with ( 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton Ford, Chevy, Ram Toyota), what size engine (5.0, 5.7, 6.0 or 6.4 gas or 6.0, 6.4, 6.6 or 6.7 diesel), what is the rear end ratio, what speed do you tow at and what is your average fuel mileage?

I do not care about payload, which brand you think is better, etc.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWN306 View Post
For those that pull a 30' AS I would like to know what you tow with ( 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton Ford, Chevy, Ram Toyota), what size engine (5.0, 5.7, 6.0 or 6.4 gas or 6.0, 6.4, 6.6 or 6.7 diesel), what is the rear end ratio, what speed do you tow at and what is your average fuel mileage?

I do not care about payload, which brand you think is better, etc.
I pull with a 3/4 ton GMC passenger van. I'm pulling a 30' Classic Slide Out. Engine was the biggest available at the time 6.0 liter V8 and I opted for the 4.10 axle. Rated towing capacity of the van is 9,900 lbs. I tow between 55 and 60 mph, probably closer to 60. Mileage is interesting since it is about 12-13 mpg city and about 12 towing.

What's interesting is that my previous tow vehicle was a 5.7 liter, 3.73 axle half ton Chevy Express passenger van. At that time I was pulling a 27' Safari which was about 2,000 lbs lighter than my current Classic. Gas mileage in the city was about 15 mpg. Highway towing however was 12 mpg. Big difference between the two was that GM recommended towing in 3rd gear on the Chevy. The GMC allows OD towing. My GMC has tow/haul mode, the Chevy did not.

One of the benefits I got by going to 3/4 ton was larger wheels, tires, brakes and a heavy duty transmission that wasn't available on the half ton version. I also found that the heavier suspension handled the Classic better when encountering dips in roads where the nose of the trailer pitches down and then up.

So whatever vehicle you consider, ask the dealer or the manufacturer for their vehicle towing guides. Not all dealers carry these. You will get information about equipping your vehicle for towing and the options available. You will understand if OD towing is allowed for your particular engine/axle combination.

Vehicles in many cases are provided engines. transmissions and axles that maximize mileage rather than towing. Do your homework and understand that most salespeople I have encountered know nothing about towing and are ill prepared to give you advice or answer your questions. Do your research on the front end. Also understand that bigger is not always better and that many 3/4 ton vehicles may have better towing ratings than one ton vehicles. The reasoning in many cases lies in the frame construction which adds weight to the vehicle, thus decreasing towing capacity since many axles, transmission, and engine components are virtually identical when used in a 3/4 or one ton vehicle.

If you do consider vans, realize that custom vans tend to have a lower towing capacity than passenger vans, since after market components used in the customizing process will reduce towing capacity. Typically those types of vans will display a different vehicle weight sticker that notes the capacity of the vehicle after modifications.

I chose the van over an SUV mainly because of price and the additional cargo space that a van provides. I looked and drove a Ford E350 passenger van and the GMC. I settled on the GMC based on a much nicer ride when not towing and the fact that GM will build you a van and deliver it within 2-3 weeks of your order. Ordering allowed me to add things like dual air conditioner/heater, custom seats, custom door types and placements, and the axle drive train combinations.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I tow a 1986 31' Sovereign with a 2016 Nissan Titan XD 5.0 liter diesel. Towing averages 13, around and about solo 17, highway 21 or so.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote