Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2004, 07:51 AM   #1
Craftsman

Question Towing mirrors for suburban?

Any advise on the towing mirrors that I should buy for a 2001 Suburban before I pick up my Sovereign. Also is the Prodigy brake controller easy to install?
Thanks for the help.
Jack
Old 07-28-2004, 08:16 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
Mckesh

We are very pleased with the Mckesh mirrors.
Our prodogy was installed by the dealer as well as the Hensley, so I can't comment on how easy it was to install, it works very nicely.
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Towing mirrors for suburban

Greetings Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Any advise on the towing mirrors that I should buy for a 2001 Suburban before I pick up my Sovereign. Also is the Prodigy brake controller easy to install?
Thanks for the help.
Jack
I have tried several different versions of clamp-on mirrors that attach in some way to the factory mirrors and have been dissappointed with each of them - - they just didn't have the reach to adequately see around even my Vintage Overlander with either my '95 K1500 Club Cab pickup or my '99 Suburban. Upon recommendations from friends in the WBCCI, I purchased a set of McKesh mirrors with convex spot mirrors - - they have been absolutely fantastic and have been in use for almost five years. The wear parts are readily available from the manufacturer at a reasonable cost (webbing and pad kit). You can learn more about the McKesh mirrors at:

McKesh Towing Mirrors

Another alternative that I looked into for my Suburban is the Power Vision mirror, but at the time (1998), they were only available with flat, unheated glass. Today, they are available with all of the features found on the factory mirrors, but they are somewhat more costly than the McKesh mirrors - - they are now also a factory option for new Suburban and pickups. You can learn more about the Power Vision mirrors at:

Power Vision Rear View Mirrors

Good luck with your search for the ideal trailer towing mirror set!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
My Suburban (old body 88) is a little wider then the newer ones. It also has larger mirrors. I can see right down the sides of the camper. Passengerside factory convex mirror has been fine. On the driverside the PO gave me a Cipa (sp) and it helps some but not a huge improvement.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:47 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
North Branford , Connecticut
I've got a set of McKesh FS

My new Excursion came with excellent towing mirrors.

Consequently... The 4 (wide angle) mirror set is for sale. $100 anywhere in contiguous US.

stephen.s1@comcast.net
stephen.s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
...Also is the Prodigy brake controller easy to install?
Thanks for the help.
The only controller, and I do not remember the brand name, that may be a bit more difficult than average to install is the one that has a mechanical cable going to the brake pedal. Most controllers do not this cable.

Your tow vehicle, I believe, will require an under-dash wiring harness adapter in order to hook any controller up. Hopefully, someone else on the forum can provide more detail.

Ton
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:01 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Mirrors, Prodigy

For my 1998 Chevrolet Suburban I use clamp on mirrors from Camping World. The design is excellent, matching the Suburban stock mirrors, and they slip over the stock mirror with one hand tightening bolt and one shim/clip to hold the mirror in place.

The Prodigy is very easy to install by owner. Newer Suburbans have a built in electrical connection for the Prodigy cable. I am very satisfied with Prodigy.

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:51 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
mirrors

Ditto on the McKesh.

If you really want to try the slip on mirrors, I might have a pair lying around that I replaced with the McKesh.

Btw, I've got the same tow vehicle as you.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Just purchased a Prodigy for our 2001 Suburban. You will need to purchase an extra wiring harness for your Suburban ($8 or so) that is made by the same company (also forgot the name....starts with a T) plugs directly into the Prodigy - do not use what comes in the box.

The purchased harness will run from the back of the Prodigy to the box on the firewall by your left foot. You will also eventually want to add a 30 amp fuse under the hood to run the aux. power back to the Sovereign.

You will want to take two small bolts and nuts. You will find two pre-drilled holes to mount the Prodigy directly under your steering wheel on the dash lip. The holes won't line up perfectly, but I was able to use bolts that match the holes in the Prodigy mount that worked well.

The connection work is simple and will take 5 mins if you have the right parts.

We had to build a wiring harness that would connect between the 7 pin on the Suburban and the 7 round pin on the '72 Sovereign we purchased. Something else to think about.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
We had to build a wiring harness that would connect between the 7 pin on the Suburban and the 7 round pin on the '72 Sovereign we purchased. Something else to think about.
Got so wrapped up in telling about our experience in bringing home our Sovereign, failed to remember that you probably already know/thought about any harness issues.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:51 PM   #11
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
I purchased a set of Power Vision mirrors a couple of years ago for my 2002 Avalanche (I think the mirrors are the same as the Suburban). They were fairly easy to install -- took about 2 hours, and the people at Power Vision were very helpful with questions. The mirrors work great for towing and retract nicely for the rest of the time. I did add a Convex mirror above the Power Vission mirrors because that wasn't available at the time. However, my mirrors are heated.
grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:15 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Jack,
We are towing a 31' Sovereign with a Suburban and use the slip on towing mirrors. My husband says they are fine and he can see to the end of the trailer with them. (We had the brake controller installed so I can't help you there!)
Old 07-28-2004, 08:19 PM   #13
Craftsman

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going with the Mc Kesh, there're on sale.
Jack
Old 07-28-2004, 09:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Prodigy Brake controller is very simple to install. Not a problem.

I use the slip on mirrors onmy PU which are the same mirrors as the suburban has. I have not had a single problem with them. They are easy on and easy off and don't hurt your factory mirror at all. I do use a small bungie on them near the end where the screw is to mke them just a bit more stable. They don't vibrate any that way. Once set you can see the rear end of your trailer very well. The mirror is a bit small about 4 inches square, but as I said I can see the end of the trailer very well so that's no biggie.

I Hope you are happy with whatever mirror you choose, and good luck on your towing adventure.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote