Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Harrison , Arkansas
Intrigued by the F150 ecoburst, wondering if there are year models to avoid?
Bhowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowl View Post
Thanks Tuco, educating myself on integrated exhaust brake now. So would your choice be strictly diesel?
I apologize for starting this out on the wrong foot. These threads get out of control very rapidly as others have already mentioned. I am a full timer so my needs probably won't match what you need at this time. Diesels with integrated exhaust brakes these days are 3/4 ton or larger trucks not an SUV. There are a lot of good people on here that have already started the questioning process and you need to decide what you are going to do with this trailer and SUV (or whatever you decide on). gypsydad, pki and mollysdad are asking you the right questions. You need to have answers to these things to make a good choice (for you) and guide this thread. I have no experience with SUV's so I cant help there, but as you can see others are more knowledgeable. Take your time and do thread searches because this question has been asked a few dozen times by now. I will help as I can. GL
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:56 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Harrison , Arkansas
Thanks Tuco, absolutely no reason to apologize . I picked up on the humor, and I did learn about the integrated exhaust brakes. If we can’t have a little creative fun, what’s the point, right?
Bhowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #24
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Since it is a poll, for an SUV I would go with a BMW X5 (not the three row one) as long as it had sufficient interior space. It also makes a good daily driver. I would have picked the Porsche, for even better handling, but the X5 is close, and more reasonably priced IMO.

My second option would be a Ford Expedition, with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I had two Expeditions, both prior to the Ecoboost debut. They were great vehicles, and handle better than pickups. Lots of room inside.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Determine trailer tongue weight and gross trailer weight.

Your tow vehicle should be rated to tow/handle those weights.

A properly equipped F150, since you mentioned it, would likely be sufficient. I had a 2015 crew cab with the 3.5 ecoboost and it did fine towing our 25 foot.

The sticker that was posted earlier in this thread is extremely important. That 'combined weight of occupants and cargo' number is one to be aware of. People around here call it the cargo capacity, or PAYLOAD.

Say your trailer has a 1,000 pound tongue weight. You'd subtract that from your payload. You'd also subtract the weight of occupants you are hauling, AND stuff like lawn chairs, grills, firewood, etc.

Then, your vehicle manufacturer will post a 'towing capcity'. That is the maximum weight of trailer the truck/suv is rated to tow. So, if you have a trailer that has a gross weight of 8,500 pounds, an F150 rated to tow 10,000 pounds will do it, though you MUST be aware of that sticker, that Cargo Capacity.

Only other thing I'd maybe consider in buying a tow vehicle is, will there be a time in the near future where I'd wind up with a heavier trailer, and not be able to tow it because my tow vehicle isn't equipped to do so, thereby forcing the purchase of another tow vehicle.

my thoughts on the matter
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:30 PM   #26
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
That is boost, as in forced induction, not burst, as in catastrophic failure.

They have gained power over the years. All are fine IMO. They have been a solid engine. Later models will have transmissions with more gears, which is a plus.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I would add that having a tow vehicle with a 'tow package' is helpful. Things like a trailer brake control, transmission cooler, etc.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Look at the new 2019 Ram with 3.92 gears for that weight
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
If I were getting an SUV I would consider the Ford Expedition. I asked Andy at CAN AM and he suggested it would be a good TV. I’ve done some research on them and they would do well with my AS. Not sure about yours. They are very expensive new. The biggest thing is having a max towing package. That might be hard to find used. Not sure. I know that when properly equipped that have a tow rating of around 9,000lbs. Not sure what their payload numbers would look like.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Payload sticker on our '18 Expy states 1577 lbs. I agree that it makes a great TV for those who, for whatever reason, don't want to use a pickup as a TV.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
I had 130K miles on my 2012 F150EB model, but I got it new and changed oil every 4k; I loved that truck with my 25' AS's.. My good friend has a 2015 F150EBmodel he got used, for around $22k; he got a Lariat...nothing fancy...but has the tow package; he loves it...lots of payload, great truck to drive around town, and pulls like a dream.

There were some concerns by folks on the pre 2017 models of EB with buildup around the valves, I believe, (?) which was fixed in the 2017 models..plus the 2017 models have even more HP and Torque...also they have the 10 speed trany...remember to check payload numbers if your looking at any of these used vehicles...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Greenfield , Indiana
A wonderful source of information youíre looking for is available on-line in the 2019 Good Sam Guide to Towing. Google it! It provides all tow ratings for vehicles ny manufacture, model, engine size, drive train etc. I recently used it when looking for a mid sized SUV to tow my utility trl w/atv. Narrowed the search! Things to consider: weight of trl loaded (dry weight and conservatively add 2K to that for all the extras), weight of tow veh (to include all family members & cmping equip). You may find a SUV may not be the best fit. Look at a crew cab P/U tk with a diesel. More cost up front, more value at the end.
Hyo Slvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyo Slvr View Post
A wonderful source of information youíre looking for is available on-line in the 2019 Good Sam Guide to Towing. Google it! It provides all tow ratings for vehicles ny manufacture, model, engine size, drive train etc. I recently used it when looking for a mid sized SUV to tow my utility trl w/atv. Narrowed the search! Things to consider: weight of trl loaded (dry weight and conservatively add 2K to that for all the extras), weight of tow veh (to include all family members & cmping equip). You may find a SUV may not be the best fit. Look at a crew cab P/U tk with a diesel. More cost up front, more value at the end.
But I have found the specific information is not able to include payloads since each TV is different...good to keep that in mind...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:46 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
What do you prefer to drive? A wide range of vehicles can be set up to work well. However, I would personally avoid ĺ and 1 ton pickups. Itís an old trailer, and thereís no point in beating it up while towing. At the very least, consider using tapered torsion bars to allow a decent amount of flex for the sake of the rivers.

I would tow with a car, but the Expedition with independent rear suspension would no doubt be a fine choice.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote