Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2004, 05:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Jim

Yes I used the worksheet you provided and yes our rig is over gross towing capacity according to the manufacturer specifications for towing. I am taking into account the gross vehicle tow rating. It is not the Airstream that is over gross, it is the tow vehicle. The tow vehicle with the 3.55 differential is the limiting factor at 16,000 pounds. If I had purchased the 4.10 rear end I would be well within the specifications 20,000 pounds for towing the heavy Airstream.
The worksheet is fine to figure out your weight and it is because of it that I found that my tow vehicle has the wrong differential. I should point out that I have not had any trouble towing our Airstream but am now aware that I am putting a strain on the drive train which may shorten it’s life. When I ordered our van I mentioned to the dealer very clearly the weight I was planning to tow. The dealer could care less what I was towing he just wanted to make a sale. Same with the Airstream dealer. I could have pulled up in a Pinto ant they would have attached a hitch to it and waved good by as I pulled the 31 foot AS from the lot as they shoved my money into their pockets. If that is the only error I made in my purchasing calculations than I didn’t do to bad. So folks, a big rear end, “It’s a good thing”. Thanks again for the worksheet, it has been very helpful.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote