Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 08:56 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
With those numbers, I would not try it, personally.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:56 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I started this thread with a question about my Tundra. Let me switch tow vehicles and ask for help interpreting these new weights.

TV- Yukon XL - ratings
Front axle 3600
Rear axle 4400
Max trailer towing 8000
Payload 1551
Curb weight 5775
GVWR 7500

Cat scale weights
Steer axle 3020
Drive axle 4940
Trailer axle 5920
Gross axle 13880

We just completed a 4100 mile trip to Colorado. The Yukon XL with Equalizer WD hitch performed well yet. I am interested in thoughts.
Thanks
Have you read the "three pass" method for determining your weights? Without it, interpreting your weights is just a guess.

-First pass on the scales, just the TV, completely loaded for your trip, no hitch.
-Second pass, TV and Trailer, no WD applied.
-Third pass, TV and trailer with WD applied.

Get those weights and provide the GVWRs of the TV and trailer, the front and rear GAWRs of the TV, and the GCWR of the TV. Then your weights can be interpreted. For instance, you may think your max trailer weight of 8000 lbs. is fine since your trailer axle is only 5920, but without your GCWR we can't say if the trailer weight plus your loaded TV weight is too heavy.

Right now your TV rear GAWR is significantly over, and that is considered one of the critical weight ratings you DO NOT want to exceed. You also appear to be over your GVWR of 7500 since your steer and drive axle add to 7960. You might be able to move some weight off the rear axle to the front and trailer axles, but you are going to have to be very precise and even then you will be maxed out on both TV axles.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:36 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
columbus , Georgia
I am surprised as to how easy it is to go over weight on the Yukon. Can I move gear from the TV to the AS since we are about 1000# under?
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:26 AM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
I am surprised as to how easy it is to go over weight on the Yukon. Can I move gear from the TV to the AS since we are about 1000# under?
'stuff' floating around in your trailer may not be a good idea. Maybe bring less stuff?

Also did you try adding more forward weight distribution with the hitch ?

Every bit of weight increases tounge weight which goes to back axles....
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:47 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
'stuff' floating around in your trailer may not be a good idea. Maybe bring less stuff?

Also did you try adding more forward weight distribution with the hitch ?

Every bit of weight increases tounge weight which goes to back axles....
Depends on what he wants to put in the trailer. A cooler with rubber feet can be placed over the axles. It’ll stay put and will have little effect on tongue weight. Load smart.

Also I’d be careful about messing with WD just to remedy a load capacity issue.
KK4YZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:26 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Put some more tension on the WDH. If that doesn’t work, the receiver might be twisting. Some older factory receivers are lightweight and require reinforcement, although that shouldn’t be an issue any more.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Depends on what he wants to put in the trailer. A cooler with rubber feet can be placed over the axles. It’ll stay put and will have little effect on tongue weight. Load smart.

Also I’d be careful about messing with WD just to remedy a load capacity issue.

I think as long as the gross weight is not being exceeded he can fix the problem with the hitch and put more weight on the front axle.

Though I'm still thinking hes a bit over weight on the tow vehicle . Being at or close to max is bad idea.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:11 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
You don't really know that you are 1000 lbs. under. From the weights you have provided you know your trailer axle weight, when hooked up to the TV with WD is roughly 6000 lbs.. But when the trailer is hooked up to the TV that doesn't include tongue weight which is probably up around 1000 lbs.. So you may already be closing in on your 7300 lb. GVWR for the trailer. Use the three pass method or get a tongue weight scale to determine your tongue weight.

Another thing to look at is the capacity of your tires. Tires spec'd for the vehicle may be close in capacity to the rear GAWR. If you are overweight on the rear axle you may also be pushing your tires beyond their capacity, or you may at least need to look at increasing psi to match the load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
I think as long as the gross weight is not being exceeded he can fix the problem with the hitch and put more weight on the front axle.

Though I'm still thinking hes a bit over weight on the tow vehicle . Being at or close to max is bad idea.
Already over by nearly 500 lbs. You could theoretically move the weight around to get both axles within their GAWR, but you would still be way over on GVWR.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #89
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
South of Austin , Texas
Right, I think we all agree he's too heavy.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Post #4 on this thread sums it up pretty well. You need to understand your TV specs (GVWR, GAWR, towing capacity, etc). You can get that from the vehicle mfg
Understanding the TV’s limitations will help you make a decision on what to do. Then confirm with a trip to the scales.
KK4YZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
columbus , Georgia
I think this experience confirms the importance of a trip to the scales. This was our first big trip, the vehicle towed well, and we thought we packed smart. Guess not.
I will try again with the Tundra, though I started looking at F250s and 2500s. But, that is another thread.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:42 PM   #92
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
I think this experience confirms the importance of a trip to the scales. This was our first big trip, the vehicle towed well, and we thought we packed smart. Guess not.
I will try again with the Tundra, though I started looking at F250s and 2500s. But, that is another thread.

I'm not saying the tundra can't do it. But it just seems either the distribution is off a bit and or theres a bit too much of a load overall on it.

Some of the tundras are rated at 9000LB if you like the brand.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #93
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
columbus , Georgia
I'm taking a break (re-think) from 3/4 ton shopping....sticker shock! More thoughts / questions follow...

I suspect that most consumer market truck owners do not think about payload. I did not prior to towing.
In regards to the Yukon XL- we could improve the WD by adding another washer or two to the Equalizer. But still, we are overweight. Will our WD change the measured trailer weight? I do not understand why if we brought so much stuff, the AS was so light and the Yukon was so heavy.

In regards to the Tundra- It has an even lower payload that the Yukon, 1465#. Either we diet, or leave someone home. With 4 adults at 600# and 25 gallons of gas, there is not much capacity left in the bed. For a real life application- one cubic yard of dirt weighs about 2000# depending on moisture content, a yard of gravel for landscaping can weigh 3000#. My point- overloading is common, and promulgated by beefy marketing.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #94
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
I'm taking a break (re-think) from 3/4 ton shopping....sticker shock! More thoughts / questions follow...

I suspect that most consumer market truck owners do not think about payload. I did not prior to towing.
In regards to the Yukon XL- we could improve the WD by adding another washer or two to the Equalizer. But still, we are overweight. Will our WD change the measured trailer weight? I do not understand why if we brought so much stuff, the AS was so light and the Yukon was so heavy.

In regards to the Tundra- It has an even lower payload that the Yukon, 1465#. Either we diet, or leave someone home. With 4 adults at 600# and 25 gallons of gas, there is not much capacity left in the bed. For a real life application- one cubic yard of dirt weighs about 2000# depending on moisture content, a yard of gravel for landscaping can weigh 3000#. My point- overloading is common, and promulgated by beefy marketing.

2500 series trucks are outrageous in cost. Used is the only way I would even consider it. And even those were way out of my price range or need for my little 19 foot trailer.

As you noticed, your vehicle did the job. But it was likely over loading the rear axle/tires/bearings/brakes and over time that will cause problems, negative handling etc.

I was mainly referring to the diesel PRO4 tundra. Even their Gas version is pretty beefy.

I have an F150 twin turbo for my trailer, but my trailer is a lot lighter. Even though mine would pull your traily without any trouble and rated to 11K with a WDH. I probably wouldn't use my truck to pull your length/weight trailer as a primary tow vehicle. On occasion, sure.

I still think you are in the 2500 series tow vehicle for your trailer. Ford, Chev, or GMC....
Old 07-22-2019, 02:41 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:

Adjusting WD will not change measured trailer weight. The goal is to balance the load on the tow vehicle and eliminate the overloaded rear axle. You will still be over GVWR, but more tension should result in more tongue weight/load being shifted to the trailer axles. This is all about optimizing your hitch setup for the best towing experience.

You can also re-examine what you are carrying. Do you need everything, or is it clutter?

Another note - a full fuel tank is part of curb weight, not payload.

Finally, all axles have a load capacity. This may be more than published GAWR. This may be how landscapers, etc. are getting away with carrying heavy loads. Also check actual tire capacity. Tires are generally not the weak point with contemporary vehicles.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:05 AM   #96
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
columbus , Georgia
The solution!- Wonder what the payload is

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ks/1794180001/
Old 07-23-2019, 09:46 AM   #97
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
South of Austin , Texas
If you only go 100 miles ....
Old 07-23-2019, 11:36 AM   #98
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
[QUOTE=AlbertF;2267249]Adjusting WD will not change measured trailer weight..[/QUOTE}

umm...it won't?

Bob
🇺🇸

W/O WD............................With WD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_f9d.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	347402  

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:05 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
[QUOTE=ROBERT CROSS;2267795]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
Adjusting WD will not change measured trailer weight..[/QUOTE}

umm...it won't?

Bob

W/O WD............................With WD

I was referring to the weight of the trailer. You are illustrating axle load with WDH.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #100
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
[;2267795]

I was referring to the weight of the trailer. You are illustrating axle load with WDH.
Oh...sorry I didn't realize that axle load isn't 'weight'😂

Side note...If you are using WD and your rear axle is over loaded when set properly...it's time for a new TV.

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote