Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
lbg

milwaukee , Wisconsin
towing Airstream 2012 16' sport with Honda Odyssey?

We are replacing our aging van with a 2012 Honda Odyssey with the towing package. It's rated to pull 3500 lbs.

We are also taking a serious look at the new 2012 Airstream 16' Sport for long weekends (2x/month) about 130 miles away. Since the Odyssey's GVWR is also 3500# and both the Honda dealer and Airstream dealer said it should not be a problem I'd like to think it's "ok".

However, since the 3500# ratings for both are so close, I'd like to get another opinion. I've searched for days trying to find something definitive online with little success except for some great stories.

Then I spotted this forum and, well, I'd appreciate any help. Can anyone tell me if my concern about pulling this trailer with this van is valid?
-Larry
lbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I'm not a towing expert but this guy is. Lots of Hondas out there towing and the MDX is on the same platform I think, its rated for 4500 lbs. Give Andy a call or email.

Can-Am is a #1 Airstream Dealer
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Good day ibg. There are a number of Honda Oddy forum members towing Airstreams but none are as small as the 16. That may answer your primary question.

Tom is quite the technical guy... Airstream Forums - View Profile: mutcth

You may want to give him a PM and have a talk.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Hi lbg, welcome to the Forum. I use a Toyota Sienna 3.5L V6 to successfully tow a 28' International, albeit with a modified set up. The van, hitch, weight distribution and sway control were all set up by Can-Am RV of London, Ontario (mentioned above). Obviously it goes way beyond the tow rating set by Toyota (3,500lb) but a chat with the good people at Can-Am will put your mind at rest regarding the validity of that rating. PM me if you'd like some details of how my combination is set up and how it works.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #5

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad
Hi lbg, welcome to the Forum. I use a Toyota Sienna 3.5L V6 to successfully tow a 28' International, albeit with a modified set up. The van, hitch, weight distribution and sway control were all set up by Can-Am RV of London, Ontario (mentioned above). Obviously it goes way beyond the tow rating set by Toyota (3,500lb) but a chat with the good people at Can-Am will put your mind at rest regarding the validity of that rating. PM me if you'd like some details of how my combination is set up and how it works.
I want to meet you! I've heard great things about you, are you going to the international in Springfield MO?
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
I want to meet you! I've heard great things about you, are you going to the international in Springfield MO?
I know who you've been talking to!

We won't be at the International, primarily because we'll be in the UK then, but WBCCI events don't really do it for us so I doubt we'd have gone anyway (hope that's not too radical ). That said, I've heard a lot about you so we'll definitely have to meet up somewhere; Zlee is threatening a "You Can't Tow It With That Rally" at some point and you'll be on the organising committee if she has anything to do with it.

Either that or our wanderings will bring us to your neck of the woods....

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Zlee is threatening a "You Can't Tow It With That Rally"
Sounds like fun!
Old 03-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Elora , Ontario
Yes, you can

We tow a 1993 30' Excella with our 2010 Odyssey - we took it 6,000 miles last summer, all the way from Ontario to the West Coast, through the Badlands, the Black Hills, Yellowstone and then the Rockies in southern BC on the way back. The Odyssey is a fantastic tow vehicle for our family.

Definitely talk to the pro's at Can AM - they installed a custom hitch receiver, a heavy duty transmission cooler and brake controller for us, and our trailer has a Hensley - all necessities when towing with a smaller vehicle.
Geobie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
lbg

milwaukee , Wisconsin
Odyssey pulling 16' sport as?

Thanks for the info. I called Can-Am Friday but they were closed. I'll try back next week. I'll take the details to the Honda dealer and see what they can do; I also need to know if any modifications beyond Honda's tow package affects the warranty.

It's t-shirt weather today in Milwaukee and I can't stop thinking about the AS and getting on the road.

Thanks for your help!
-Larry
lbg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16' sport