Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Miami , Florida
Towing a Basecamp with a car

Is it possible to safely tow a Basecamp with a 2016 BMW M3 manual trans. There is a hitch made by Invisa-hitch that has a GVRW of 3500 lbs. Information on this is very scarce., Thank you for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110446.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	280493  
harveyd396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:59 PM   #2
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Can you do it? Probably. There are a few issues to work through, though.

First, BMW don't support towing with this vehicle. They don't publish a tow rating. That isn't to say that it can't tow, just that they don't offer a hitch so they don't publish a tow rating. The most likely reason they don't offer a hitch is the special M series exhaust system, and the fact that not many owners likely want to tow, so they didn't invest in developing a hitch.

The M3 (F80 chassis) is based on the 3 series platform. I don't know the latest 3 series F30 platform as well as I do the earlier ones, but it is rated to tow 4000 lbs by BMW in Europe. BMW North America don't offer a hitch for it at all, so no tow rating at all in North America. The Euro tow rating suggests that the chassis is plenty strong enough, and with 425 hp and massive brakes, you are well set up there. In Europe, there are even BMW tow mirrors available.

Now the issues.

Your tow vehicle payload is around 1200 lbs, better than some 1/2 ton trucks. Check your door sticker to see what it is on your specific vehicle, it can vary with options and tire choices. The Basecamp has a relatively heavy tongue weight for it's gross vehicle weight (GVW) and it could be higher depending on how you load it. That tongue weight comes out of your tow vehicle payload.

The BMW Euro hitch is designed for a very low tongue weight, less than the Basecamp by quite a bit. So although you will be able to manage the tongue weight if you have a reasonable actual payload, you will want to use weight distribution equipment to balance the load front to rear, in addition to not loading up the vehicle with lots of extra cargo.

There is no BMW hitch available specific to the M3, and the Execuhitch (which is what I believe you are referring to) doesn't list the receiver capacity/rating on their site. Other hitch manufacturers don't list the M model at all, and only list a 2000 lb hitch for the 3 series. Execuhitch do list multiple 3 series hitches, but not the M3, and I expect your exhaust system (like all M3 models) is different enough to obstruct the 3 series hitch. They specific the F30 chassis, with no mention of the F80. But maybe they have done it. Ask them.

When you contact Execuhitch, you want to know about their experience with the M3/F80, and not only the rating of the hitch, but whether it can handle a small WD hitch. That means it needs a 2" square receiver. They typically offer a swan neck hitch ball. That won't be enough. When they do offer a receiver, it is typically for a bike rack, and it isn't necessarily rated for a WD hitch. Ask them.

You will need a brake controller, and wiring installed. BMW sell an interface model for electrical connections (other than trailer brakes) for other models, but I suspect not for the M3. That means you need to ask Execuhitch how they are doing it on other installations.

My current BMW is an X3, previous generation, built on the E46 platform (3 series from the early 2000's). It is rated to tow 3500 lbs, and does it very well. My X5 was rated to 6000 lbs, and also towed very well, but not as quickly as it used the M54 engine and so only had 225 hp. The X3 does better, it has more hp (260 hp) and is lighter. So tow ratings don't always relate to inherent capabilities of the vehicle.

If you had the DCT, I would say don't try it. With the manual transmission, I would consider it, but would first satisfy myself that Execuhitch know and have designed for the M3 with the F80 chassis (which is based on, but slightly different than the F30 chassis), that they can provide a receiver for weight distributing equipment, that electrical wiring can be handled, and that I was willing to manage tow vehicle cargo so as not to overload the tow vehicle.

Let me know if there is anything more specific. Good luck, it's an interesting project.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
We towed our 23' with an Infiniti G35 and there are many accounts of cars towing a variety of different sizes of Airstreams in this forum. Most have been set up by forum member Andrew T [Can AM]. Suggest you get in touch with him for some advice.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
The hitch weight of 410 lbs is the hard part
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Unless you plan to tow at 45mph like they do over the big water, no.

If you lease, no.
If you pay other folks to do stuff, no.
If you worry about warranty issues, no.
If you are a gear head and can assimilate technical issues, maybe.

Talk to Base Camp owners that tow with small vehicles and establish it's tow characteristics. Does the rounded nose mitigate bow wave impact on directional stability. Does the axle position positively impact directional stability like a boat trailer axle position does. There are not many out there, so you are likely a pioneer. Take extreme care.

Does the 3 series platform still have chassis cracking issues at the rear axle carrier attachment points? They should not, but verify with the real racer crowd.

Note the Invisihitch receiver attachment does not accommodate WDH towing. Putting 450lbs on your rear cross member attachment points is going to move some weight off the front axle. Loading the car forward would help, but the standard solution in to use weight distribution and sway control solutions. If you choose to use any hitch, understand how it is constructed and how it fits. You need a brake module and there may not be one - research this before proceeding.

I think the basic answer is, you could, but you have a very tall learning curve that when compared to other solutions is not a wise path.

Read what JCL said again and again.

Research, research and then think again. Good luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Does the 3 series platform still have chassis cracking issues at the rear axle carrier attachment points? They should not, but verify with the real racer crowd.
No. That was the E36 chassis, and to some extent the E46. Many years ago, and a very different rear suspension design. The E90 came next, then the F30. This is an F80, the M version. M chassis are also typically seam welded instead of spot welded, so quite a bit stronger.

Reading about it, I see the F80 is using solid rear subframe mounts as well.

No concerns with chassis strength. Just with sourcing a suitable hitch given the laterally mounted M exhaust system.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
I have nothing to contribute re this question other than wanting to complement and express admiration for one of the most thorough technical responses in Jeff's initial retort. A person can ask for no better. It doesn't get better than this. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Miami , Florida
Thank you JCL for your words of wisdom. I am very impressed with this forum as I am a newbie here. When I posted this enquire on the Bimmerpost forum I got flamed in the worst way. I ordered my 2016 M3 and picked it up at Welt about a year ago. At that time I had no intentions of towing anything. It is an amazing car with the 6spd trans and I did some mods, pushing almost 600hp.

I got the idea of the basecamp only recently, if I had this idea a year ago maybe I would have bought a X3 or X6, but they are not available with a manual trans. 12 years ago I did tow a Yamaha LS2000 20ft jet boat on a steel trailer, 3,500lbs, with a Volvo V70R, never had a problem with a class 1 hitch. Pulled the boat on a 5,000 mi trip to Montreal from Miami.

My M3 is not leased and I am a gearhead, do it yourselfer. Execuhitch has confirmed their hitch can handle 3,500 lbs, not sure if it's class I or II. I investigated a wireless brake controller would be a necessity. I am planning a cross country trip this summer with my wife- Miami, Salt Lake, Dawson AK, Vancouver, LA, Vegas, Miami. I hope to take back roads, no dirt, remote places. The Base camp would be great for that, More fun than cheap flea bitten motels.

I've been researching euro websites due to the lack of data in US. These are quite informative and funny.

Thank you for your help
Old 02-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #9
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
It is very common for BMW enthusiast forums to be unaccepting of towing with BMW vehicles. You will usually be told to go buy a pickup truck. Interestingly, the same sentiment is expressed in other forums (like this one) from time to time. Related topic, that was the reason that x5World was created (now called XOutpost), simply because Roadfly and Bimmerfest were populated by those who saw BMW SUVs as not being true to the brand. That included towing. When we all left Bimmerfest en mass to form X5World we were known as the refugees.

Understand the manual transmission issue. Our current X3 (3.0si, 260 hp) has a six speed manual. One reason we still have it is that we can't buy a similar vehicle any longer, and my wife isn't interested in an automatic at all. We special ordered this one over the objections of the dealer. Never regretted it. She had the X3 while I had the E60 535 M Sport, also a manual. I had an SMG in a Z4, but never liked it as much as a real manual.

If the Execuhitch product can handle 3500 lbs, that is one thing, but can it handle weight distribution? You will have over 400 lbs carried out behind the rear bumper, and WD equipment would be a good idea (a small, light, WD hitch, not a big heavy one).

The standard approach to a custom hitch (see CanAm RV for examples) is to spread out the attachment points to handle weight distribution loads. That means a strut up to the rear axle carrier in many cases. The issues with your application will be the exhaust system in the way, and the fact that that type of hitch is permanently mounted, with reduced ground clearance. I understand the attraction of the Execuhitch product, but it is not usually suitable for WD equipment. You may want to contact Andy at CanAm and ask if they have done anything on an M3, either the current or previous generation.

Good thread here, which you may have seen, on an M3 forum. I understand yours is a later chassis, but the principles are similar. As is the reaction to towing with a BMW.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=349258

Sounds like an interesting road trip. Does Dawson AK mean Dawson Creek BC or Dawson City Yukon?

Yes, go with a wireless brake controller.

Any questions, ask away.

Cheers

Jeff
Old 02-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The Invisihitch will not support WD or Sway control. They have adopted the BMW OEM hitch specs. Their original posts suggested their receiver could be used to tow, but subsequently pulled back and rejected that use. However, their parts and coding might be of value depending on what you design. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Miami , Florida
That's Dawson City Yukon. I did call CanAm this afternoon, They seem very well educated on how to make this work. They also assured me that the M3 will do a great job of pulling the Basecamp. If they were close by here I would definately buy everything from them, Unfortunately they are outside of Toronto. I am located in Miami, FL. Although I am originally from Montreal, Canook eh.

Question, I see this everywhere, what does WD mean?
Does this product make any sense for this application?
https://hensleymfg.com/

I also contacted invisihitch today, they are confident that their hitch will do the job for my M3. So as of now I'm still confused as which way to go.
Thank you for your help.

BTW,I love Vancouver, my favorite city in Canada, My sister lives in Richman, I've been there many times. 5 years ago I rode up there on my motorcycle from Miami, went as far as Kamloops.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:44 PM   #12
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
WD means weight distributing. While it doesn't change the actual tongue weight, it applies a torque or moment arm to the hitch receiver that works to lift the rear axle of the tow vehicle, while transferring that load to the front axle of the tow vehicle and to the trailer axle. Essentially, it means that the approx 400 lbs of tongue load won't be behind the rear bumper, but rather further forward, to the rear axle of the tow vehicle or just ahead of it. Without WD, the tongue weight applies x more than 400 lbs to the rear axle due to leverage, while lifting the front axle by the same quantity x.

The receiver needs to be striping enough to handle this torque without flexing.

A Hensley Cub makes sense for a light trailer such as this.

Ask CanAm if they would tow without WD equipment. Ask Execuhitch if they can work with a light WD hitch.

Jeff
Old 03-02-2017, 05:49 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Miami , Florida
Thank you for all the info and advice. Will keep up to date on how I proceed with this project. It is a little complicated