Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
i am not a fan of having 2 skylights, which means that much more heating or cooling issues.

u may really WANT a 2nd ac in a 34, especially liv'n in the south.
I had to come back to this with an update.

I agree, I am not crazy about the one skylight I have in my 25 much less the prospect of two of them in the new one (additional light waking up the kids at the crack of dawn, and the heating & cooling considerations).

I am working to finalize an order for a 30 this week, and asked the dealer to request it be built with no skylights. Their AS rep came back with a response that included the expected $500 deviation fee and added that they could not guarantee that it wouldn't come off the production line without the skylights since they have one worker whose only function is to cut the skylights out - if he forgets the special order request - too bad! That response just sort of shocked me...
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #22
_

. , .
the hallway skylight is functional, in that it lights the windowless hall nicely.

but the lounge skylight is simply a heat/cold gap and eventual leak.

it also takes up space that might better go toward solar panels some day.

the vista views provide plenty of indirect light in the lounge and are glass, not plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms4140 View Post
...Their AS rep came back with a response that included the expected $500 deviation fee and added that they could not guarantee that it wouldn't come off the production line without the skylights since they have one worker whose only function is to cut the skylights out - if he forgets the special order request - too bad...
it's silly enough that one must pay extra to leave OUT stuff like holes or carpet...

but my response to this would be...

"and if it shows up with things NOT on the order, find another buyer"

send an email to b. wheeler (prez) and d. schumann (customer relations) about this issue now, or write a paper letter to them.

if they can't guarantee basic construction issues like holes or LACK there of, it's time for a change at the plant.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Open Road , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms4140 View Post
asked the dealer to request it be built with no skylights. Their AS rep came back with a response that included the expected $500 deviation fee
Ha, what a joke!

If I were in that position, I'd just order them with fans and then install the black FanMate or similar covers over them. Probably cost about the same amount, allow you to vent while staying dry and hopefully that black cover will help cut out some of the light too.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
What I learned today...
Not only is it a "too bad" type situation (you are not getting exactly what you want on your special order), but also AS will not issue a credit to the dealer for the $500 deviation fees. So, in my case, the trade difference $amount includes consideration for these $500 hits. Therefore, the dealer (who seems to have a good reputation per this forum) says they will not be issuing a credit to me if it comes back with carpet and sky lights. That risk is passed down from AS to the dealer then to me.

...seems unacceptable to me. I plan to call AS tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #25
_

. , .
an ordered trailer is just an order.

it's NOT yours until you sign the purchase order.

like closing on a house or buying a car ALL of the pre purchase stuff is just that PRE.

while they might ask for a deposit, you should have that deposit specified as REFUNDABLE pending the final purchase acceptance.

do NOT buying this unit, until AFTER it arrives.

for example, there might be construction issues, major defects or other things that only become obvious AFTER it arrives.

don't buy blindly and don't agree to the final purchase before inspecting the unit.

they might apply pressure to sign a purchase agreement early (like now) but that isn't required and need not happen.

yes the dealer takes some risk this way, but every trailer they buy comes with the risks of selling it.
_________

for example, image that a/s had a construction delay of months, or your financial status or health change...

would you still be on the hook for it?

imagine it's damaged in transit or the wrong color, or some other gotcha...

suppose you damage the trade in unit BEFORE the new unit arrives...

would the dealer still give you the same $$ trade value?

of course not.
_________

so 2 restate this again...

it's not your unit until you sign the final purchase agreement,

and don't do that until after it arrives, has been inspected and so on.

everything signed NOW should be "pre" liminary and written with the phrase...

"subject to final approval/acceptance by the customer"

don't be bullied into some other arrangement.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
i am not a fan of having 2 skylights, which means that much more heating or cooling issues.

I don't think I've ever disagreed with 2air, however I have 2 skylights and like them. Just depends on your individual taste. Maybe it cost a bit more to cool or heat, but most of the time I'm using the outside fresh air anyway. And the small difference in cost is more than offset I think by the aesthetic value. Everthing can't be measure in $.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #27
_

. , .
disagreement is good!

absolutely some folks like 2 skylights...

some folks might want the entire roof translucent!

and in some mild parts of the country there is no heating/cooling penalty from solar penetration.

many of the 34 SLIDE units do not have vista view windows on both sides in the lounge area,

so the lounge sky light is then a nice feature.

also most 34 slides have 2 air conditioners.

does yours have 2 a/c and no vista views up front?

i know a couple that like total darkness in the bedroom,

so they blocked all the windows and the skylight and the vent/fan with black laminate vinyl.

many wayz to cut cheese.

cheers
2air'

Old 01-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Upsize from 25ft to 34ft

If all goes well we will be up sizing from a 2004 25 ft Safari to 2005 34 Classic next week. The TV will also be upgraded from a 2004 Yukon Denali to a 2004 Dodge 2500 CumminTurboD, 2WD (24K miles) with a HA. Never towed with a diesel before or any trailer that long. Any words of wisdom with do's and dont's is appreciated.

Best,

Titu

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
I wouldn't take it through the Burger King drive-through, but I don't believe you'll have any issues. I actually miss our 34'; I never had a problem towing or backing it. The diesel will only make it seem easier - you'll forget you have a trailer behind you.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHog View Post
Never towed with a diesel before or any trailer that long. Any words of wisdom with do's and dont's is appreciated.
See post #17 above for some good pointers.

The only reason I passed on a 34 was because of concern that I couldn't get that long of a trailer backed in to my driveway when we wanted to clean it, load and unload it, etc.

-Chris
Old 01-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Airhog:

Congratulatons on your new 34 and truck.

We have a 34' and pull with a 2005 Dodge Cummins turbo diesel 2wd and love it. We also use a Hensley. Just remember to make wide turns. This is our first diesel truck. Prior to the 34 we pulled a 30. If we were going to be doing a lot of traveling throught he rockies I would get an exhaust brake.

Last year we pulled it from the Chicago area to Acadia National Park in Maine via route 80 in Pennsylvania returning by way of the White Mountains in New Hampshire. No problems pulling. I had some problems with my disc brakes but that is a different issue.

The 2005 34 should have a 11,500 gvwr and disc brakes. We do like having disc brakes.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #32
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Congrats, Titu and Gail! Sounds like a sweet rig.

You'll enjoy the space; when we moved from a 25 to a 31, we haven't yet found a use for all the storage space available.

You'll also enjoy the diesel and ha. Perhaps we can find a way to join up with you guys again.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
If all goes well we will be up sizing from a 2004 25 ft Safari to 2005 34 Classic next week. The TV will also be upgraded from a 2004 Yukon Denali to a 2004 Dodge 2500 CumminTurboD, 2WD (24K miles) with a HA. Never towed with a diesel before or any trailer that long. Any words of wisdom with do's and dont's is appreciated.

Best,

Titu
Congratulations Titu and Gail. You will enjoy this combo and by the way, 2 A/C or 1 on the tripple axle ?. I'm sure you did your home work on the Trailer brake controller and the max towing / tongue wt capacity of the TV. You might want to post pictures so that you can recieve more specific feedback from this forum prior to purchase. Also check to see if all recalls allready performed (brake actuator on 2005 -2009 classics - Hydraulic brake controller by active technologies I think)
Best wishes and happy streaming.
Joshua
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Titu & Gail,
Do you have to extend your new garrage or the "34" will ride in without modification/s. Just so happy for you both. Enjoy it.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Charlottetown , Canada
TiTu and GaIl....

yopu remeber our TV dont you.... no need for a huge truck.... just ask Andrew Thompson...........
WBCCI9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #36
_

. , .
only '05 trailers produced after ~ jan/feb of 05 (mid production year) have disc brakes.

IF it was built during/after this time, the disc brake actuator is V.1 from actibrake,

and V. 1 is NOT subject to the recall.

of course the previous owner may have installed a different unit,

if built earlier in the year it will have standard drum brakes, unless added later by the owner.

the HEIGHT of the segment protectors is a clue,

since TALLER protectors were incorporated at ~ the same time as discs.

the early / late '05 also had a msrp differential of 4,000$-9,000$.

again production date matters.

cheers
2air'

Old 01-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:

Best,

Titu
I have the same truck (305/555 motor with manual) to tow our 34' Silver Streak. Trailer was at 7,350lbs for full-timing. Saw the same fuel mileage as others with this truck and an aero trailer: 13-16 mpg with the truck between 7,500 and max gross. The truck needs no tuners or other kiddie toys. Stay with the BALDWIN F7977 fuel filter and the new MOPAR air filter, too.

I posted my "adventures" with setting up the HA according to scale weights on a thread entitled " . . Cat Scale". Hope you're more successful with weight transfer. I will change from the factory receiver to a TORKLIFT or similar, as I believe that was part of "the problem".

A '34 is one nice sized trailer. Any longer would be too long (I was at 63' end-to-end), and any smaller would have lost storage and room for the fulltiming we did in a 100F Texas summer. We look forward to another one with a different floorplan.

Good luck.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
2004 RAM Pickup Payload and Towing Charts

Not sure which of the 2500 Cummins you plan to purchase but above link might be helpfull.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Good Evening,

Thanks for all the kind words and wisdom. It is an early 34 footer and we have confirmed via vin # with Jackson Center that it was not part of the recall. The truck just came as a package deal and we could not refuse. We are flying down next week, and if everything is a go, we will be bee lining back to RI. If not we have return airline tickets . It will fit in our garage as it is approx. 40 ft deep and 26 ft wide. We will certainly post picture if she is ours. I must have lost our mind, 2 AS, 2 Harleys, 2 John Deere tractors, 2 Trucks, 2 daughter and alas only one wife

Titu

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
One is more than enough. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote