Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Here is a clue... get a small car to drive around in.. and keep the TV for towing... you don't have to use it every day... that way you have the best of both worlds... that is what we do.. and take the TV out every week to exercise it.. by going and getting things... etc... its false economy to think that your going to get mileage.. and still be able to tow a 8000 lb trailer down the road... let alone the new laws that are in the works... where the TV has to be able to do the job... as too many were trying to tow with a mini vehicle... and ended up in the ditch... or killed... so now they are making laws to protect the ones that are dumber than a box of rocks... and we also agree... seen way too many RVs turtle.. that didn't have to be.. only because the owners wanted to get that MPG...instead of safety... Most dealers will tell you that you can pull a airstream with a bike... indeed you can.. but how many can get it to stop... on a bike... is the other half of the equasion...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I think you should keep what you have. Gas is pretty cheap and apparently will be for a while. I can not see saving enough on fuel costs to offset a trade.
Gas ain't 'cheap' no more!
Thanks to Hurricane Harvey, gas in Ontario went from $1.03.9 Litre to $123.9, and is expected to climb quite a bit higher.

That's almost $ 5.00 gal. for you guys.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #23
Retired paddler

1993 29' Excella
Brighton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naper View Post
This "whats the best tow vehicle" debate has ben going on forever. There is no correct answer. It all comes down to what makes you feel the most comfortable. Some enjoy working the crap of a VW Golf pulling a 30' Classic. others need a F350 Powerstroke Diesel for a Bambi.
4mer Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #24
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagehillwest View Post
I have a 2500 GMC Sierra gas guzzler and am considering downsizing to a half ton Sierra SLT with tow package. We have a 30ft AS and haul a lot at altitude in CO.
I know... many say bigger is always better. Am I nuts to consider more fuel efficiency (when not hauling) as a factor in downsizing? On paper, the 1/2 ton has ample towing capacity. I'd welcome anyone's opinion. Thanks, Eric
I'm in Colorado, I tow all over Colorado I got rid of the truck you're looking at and got the truck you're driving..
Love it every time I get in the truck and start to tow

You know what mileage you're getting now, and the mileage they tell you you will get is probably blue sky. Even with that mileage how long will it take you to make up the cost difference between buying another truck and the cost to operate the one you have

My 2cents

Good luck

Lynnsr
lynnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Gas is cheap. Living or traveling in Canada is expensive. I am glad we have the diesel and get better mileage when I go there.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:34 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Ellicott City , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Airstream View Post
Here is a clue... get a small car to drive around in.. and keep the TV for towing... you don't have to use it every day... that way you have the best of both worlds... that is what we do.. and take the TV out every week to exercise it.. by going and getting things... etc... its false economy to think that your going to get mileage.. and still be able to tow a 8000 lb trailer down the road... let alone the new laws that are in the works... where the TV has to be able to do the job... as too many were trying to tow with a mini vehicle... and ended up in the ditch... or killed... so now they are making laws to protect the ones that are dumber than a box of rocks... and we also agree... seen way too many RVs turtle.. that didn't have to be.. only because the owners wanted to get that MPG...instead of safety... Most dealers will tell you that you can pull a airstream with a bike... indeed you can.. but how many can get it to stop... on a bike... is the other half of the equasion...
Can you site the law?
ExStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #27
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
There are several truths that you can't get around.
One: Diesel fuel has 40% more BTU's than gasoline, therefore it is 40% more efficient. It is also cheaper to refine than gasoline. And, so is propane. In fact propane is a by-product of refinement, and its excess use to be vented or flared off during the refining process before the gas became a popular fuel. An RV dealer friend of mine, when diesel prices originally jumped ahead of gasoline, told me, "It is the trucking industry that is driving up diesel prices due to rapidly increasing demand." Until "Harvey," the prices have been that way for years. Maybe the frozen price differential has been broken. Noteworthy is the fact that Diesel powered trains are four (4) more efficient hauling a pound of cargo rather than a tractor trailer.
Two: Diesel engine, due to high compression, have to be designed much stronger than gasoline engines. Thus, they are more durable.
Three: though not directly related to engines, aluminum pound for is stronger than steel, and 90% recyclable. This is the truck metal of the future as Ford has proven. That will reduce weight while increasing pay load.
Three: The longer and heavier the TT the larger and more robust TV is needed for over all safety and durability.
Four: Turbo charged engines are more efficient, powerful, and durable, but also more costly. "You get what you pay for" and, "You can pay me now or pay me later."
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:07 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
One: Diesel fuel has 40% more BTU's than gasoline, therefore it is 40% more efficient. It is also cheaper to refine than gasoline. And, so is propane. In fact propane is a by-product of refinement, and its excess use to be vented or flared off during the refining process before the gas became a popular fuel. An RV dealer friend of mine, when diesel prices originally jumped ahead of gasoline, told me, "It is the trucking industry that is driving up diesel prices due to rapidly increasing demand." Until "Harvey," the prices have been that way for years. Maybe the frozen price differential has been broken. Noteworthy is the fact that Diesel powered trains are four (4) more efficient hauling a pound of cargo rather than a tractor trailer.
Two: Diesel engine, due to high compression, have to be designed much stronger than gasoline engines. Thus, they are more durable.
Three: though not directly related to engines, aluminum pound for is stronger than steel, and 90% recyclable. This is the truck metal of the future as Ford has proven. That will reduce weight while increasing pay load.
Three: The longer and heavier the TT the larger and more robust TV is needed for over all safety and durability.
Four: Turbo charged engines are more efficient, powerful, and durable, but also more costly. "You get what you pay for" and, "You can pay me now or pay me later."
guskmg
Hi

The price of fuel is some amount related to refining, some amount related to oil price, and a variety of taxes imposed by a very long line of people. In some states, they tax diesel much more than they do gasoline. The net effect is that in those states, there is no (or very little) "dollars per mile" benefit to a diesel.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:33 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Uncle bob,Ford has not proven that aluminum is the metal of the future, I have owned lots of Fords, and I switched to Ram ,with the cummins, you won't find aluminum in any or the big truck heads, because they warp with heat.....it was tough enough with cast....not sold on it
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Palm Springs , California
Thanks for all your comments. Great advice and I think I will stick with the 2500!
Sagehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I pull a FC 30 with a 2016 F250 gasser. Just returned home from a trip through thevRockies (WY & CO). I have Leer cap and carried two bikes, chairs, tools, etc. I went ove 9,000 and 10,000+ ft. passes. The truck did fine, to my way of thinking. I can't imagine dropping to a half-ton truck of any make, especially to save money. My guess is you could buy a lot of gasoline for the difference in your trade.

Now if you just want another truck, that's different. Go buy whatever you want, but don't rationalize it based on mpg.��

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #32
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
One: Diesel fuel has 40% more BTU's than gasoline, therefore it is 40% more efficient. ....
Not even close. Diesel has 5% more energy on a volumetric basis.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Yes, keep the 2500.

I started pulling with an '05 Suburban 3/4 ton. It was fine for the midwest. We moved to Phoenix and going up and down I17 was taxing for it. I always enjoyed tow mode where it went from guzzle to binge.

Bought a 3/4 ton Silverado diesel and it's day and night. It's just plain better. Really enjoy the exhaust brake.

I have friends who tow their 30' with a Ford 150 and are quite comfortable with it. It's also easier to get around in a city.

It really is your decision on how comfortable you feel driving your rig.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Diesel engines are more effecient at getting work from the fuel because of the high combustion ratio. There is about 30 cents a gallon cost added on to diesel for the refineries to recover the cost of equipment add to produce ultra low sulphur fuel when that was required in 2007. I get about 40 percent better mpg towing my trailer with the diesel than I did with a gas 150. And I go a lot faster uphill.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #35
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Diesel engines are more effecient at getting work from the fuel because of the high combustion ratio. There is about 30 cents a gallon cost added on to diesel for the refineries to recover the cost of equipment add to produce ultra low sulphur fuel when that was required in 2007. I get about 40 percent better mpg towing my trailer with the diesel than I did with a gas 150. And I go a lot faster uphill.
Compression ratio.

Also, the lack of throttling losses, for older gasoline engines that have some sort of throttle butterfly restricting airflow.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
We've done about 30,000 miles all over the west with our FC 27, pulled by a Sierra 1500 with the 6.2 engine (420 hp), and max trailer tow package. Our payload, per the door sticker, is 1940 lbs. Our towing mpg varied from 11-14 mpg (premium gas!) at 60-65 mph (Never Higher!). Empty mpg on the highway is 21-23+ depending on speed (up to 80, posted limit in Wyoming and some other western states). IMHO, the only reasons to trade your truck on a half ton (assuming you can live with the reduced payload) are: (1) a half ton is a more livable daily driver, (2) you want a more powerful truck (when I test drive a Chevy 2500 with the gas engine, it felt like it could barely get out of its own exhaust; both the Ford Ecoboost 3.5 and the 6.2 in a half ton are much faster) and (3) you're tired of all the racket your engine makes developing enough power to pull your rig uphill.
Although you will save fuel (your truck alone weighs at least 1,000 pounds more than a half ton), that wouldn't be enough for me to make the trade (both the 6.2 and the Ecoboost need premium fuel to do their best, although they will run ok on mid grade.)
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Spruce Grove , Alberta
Gmc 1500

i have a 2015 GMC crew cab with max tow package, 6.2 engine, 8 speed trans. I tow an airstream 34 everywhere. I live within sight of the Rocky Mountains and have no fear up or down. When I break over the top my truck maintains the same speed on the way down. If I'm going to fast I brake and slow the rig down. I load up the trailer with what I want and the box with the same. I have husky weight distribution hitch and a friction sway control. I'm not sure where some of these guys get their info but I'm shocked by the advice. My truck is rated for 12000lb tow and 1900lbs in the box. Maybe Ford owners need a larger truck, the f150 doesn't have the capacity and the 250 is rated about the same as mine.
wvollans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:52 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
About home from Alaska towing a 27FB with a 2017 F150 with the 3.5 liter ecoboost gas engine, almost 9,000 miles. Have averaged 12.6 MPG for the trip. It will pull 80+ mph up a 9% grade if I let it. No, I don't carry a Harley in the bed because that would overload the truck, it's a F150.

That said 12.6 mpg is better than 10 mpg, what most V8's probably get yet the break even point is probably in the high mileage range. Unless you drive a lot then keep what you have.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:13 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Don't take my advice, but .. as more & more vehicles go electric / hybrid and even 100% gas powered cars get 30-40 mpg, demand and price for petrol will decrease. My BMW 3 series with 240hp, gets close to 40 on the highway ! It's the way of the future... & a good thing
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:25 PM   #40
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvollans View Post
My truck is rated for 12000lb tow and 1900lbs in the box.
Likely not at the same time.