Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Towing a 27' Overlander with a Jeep Liberty

Hello,
There is a man buying our 1972 Overlander and he plans on towing it with a Jeep Liberty. I am not familiar with the Jeep, but I am thinking that it is not a good idea. Can somebody give me some info to give to this guy? He thinks because it has a 5000 lb towing capacity that it will be suitable to tow the Overlander.

Thanks
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Thumbs up Hi

As far as I am conserned anything will pull the trailer. The only problem is contorl of the trailer. It will be pushing the jeep around. I can pull my AS with a 1952 jeep but towing it or controling ir is another story. What is he going to do up hill or worse going down hill.
Regards from Russell in sunny Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Towing a 27' Overlander with a Jeep Liberty

I own a truck and a Jeep Liberty. I would never consider towing my A/S with the Jeep though. It has enough power to pull the trailer, but, if there was a situation where we would need to stop quickly or if we were coming downhill etc....I would not feel safe. The trailer would be "pushing" the Liberty and we could lose control easily.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

Just my opinion.

Steve
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Not safe

Here's my reasoning why it's a bad idea:
  • Liberty wheelbase is only 104 inches. Very short and unstable.
  • Liberty weight is around 4000 lbs. Doesn't the Overlander weigh more? Talk about the cart bossing the horse.
  • Probably has the 3.7 L engine with automatic transmission. Does the truck really have the cooling capacity for the load?
  • Look at this link on the Jeep website. Jeep - 2008 Liberty - Capability - Performance - SUV - Sport Utility Vehicle Click on the towing link. What do they show? A basecamp, not a 27' trailer.
Show him some photos of what happens when well-matched vehicles and trailers get into extreme situations. Mention how he will be in an extreme situation before he ever starts moving with that combination. Perhaps you could allow him to drive your vehicle a short distance to understand the difference between a Suburban and a Liberty.

If you do sell, I would not let him tow the vehicle off my property with the Liberty. Exchange at a neutral site and walk away.

Just my thoughts.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
Full-timer

1971 27' Overlander
Pumpkintown , South Carolina
I agree that a Liberty is overmatched in trying to safely handle a 27' trailer. I tow my 27-footer with an old full-size body-on-frame Wagoneer. While it's heavily modified for strength, power, braking & handling to deal with even larger loads, it still has a 'mere" 109-inch wheelbase and weighs "only" 5,000 lb, and that means I have to be on my toes at all times.

He could probably get the trailer home at 30 MPH if he lives very close by, but that rig should not be considered for highway use. Did you by chance catch that e-bay item where the guy flipped a 27-footer while trying to tow with an ExTerra? Sounds like a repeat performance in the works here. I missed that auction, so I'd appreciate it if you tell the guy that, if he does crash it, I'll give him 500 bucks for it.

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
Foureagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Click on this link for a relevant and interesting thread.

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Towing with our 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (turbodiesel)
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Thanks for all the great replies. I am going to talk with the guy today, I will let you know what he decides!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I've got a friend who tows a large popup with a similar size 6-cylinder Toyota Highlander. He hate hills, wind and so much more. He feels his Highlander struggle and think's he's at the max of what it can handle. And guess what? It has a 5000 tow capacity too!

Tow capacity is the most Madison Avenue spec on any TV. It's usually quite inflated, very subjective --- and on top of all that, good safe towing occurs in a range where you don't exceed 80-85% of any spec: payload (load) capacity, tow capacity, GCWR.

This was mentioned before: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ost-36080.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foureagles

He could probably get the trailer home at 30 MPH if he lives very close by, but that rig should not be considered for highway use. Did you by chance catch that e-bay item where the guy flipped a 27-footer while trying to tow with an ExTerra? Sounds like a repeat performance in the works here. I missed that auction, so I'd appreciate it if you tell the guy that, if he does crash it, I'll give him 500 bucks for it.
If I recall the thread on that flipped rig, it was not a TV issue, the guy was towing at interstate speeds with only one sway/WD arm (the other had snapped).

It is certainly possible with a good driver and properly set up WD/swaybars - but there are too many variables to get a consensus on this Forum for the guy towing a 27' with the Liberty.

It is quite possible however that your question has all the elements needed to start another long lively TV debate. And The Answer issssssssssssss - get a 3/4 ton diesel.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
AlbertF.. The link you provided is an eye opener.

It goes to show that that there is a lot more to the "science of towing" and "tow vehicle analysis", than the tow rating, the wheel base, and dated rule of thumb number crunching.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Ok, I talked to the guy. I let him know about all the info, and my concerns. He and his son are now going to pick up the camper in his son's dodge 3500 to take it home. He will use this til he finds a more suitable tow vehicle. Again thanks to all for the great advice and information.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down Is He Kidding!!

[quote=Silver Threads]Hello,
There is a man buying our 1972 Overlander and he plans on towing it with a Jeep Liberty. I am not familiar with the Jeep, but I am thinking that it is not a good idea. Can somebody give me some info to give to this guy? He thinks because it has a 5000 lb towing capacity that it will be suitable to tow the Overlander.

Thanks[/quote

HAVE HIM SIGN A RELEASE.....get it notorized
Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
I own a Jeep Liberty(Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport A as it's called over here - running on LPG) I have towed a Overlander with it but it was stripped out ready for conversion. That said, it still took great care. I would describe the problem as "jittery yaw"
The overhang on longer trailers means sway is increased and the short wheelbase of the Liberty(which I adore, btw) can't handle the sheer forces as the tail wags the dog!
If you want a white knuckle ride try a UK caravan as I did a couple of weeks ago. It was 22ft and just over a ton but, in keeping with Euro rules, has a hitch weight of about 100lb. It jumped all over the road in the lightest wind! It had a twin axle with 11" wheels that seemed to have their own route to get to their destination - a complete (expletive deleted) nightmare!!
Even on tiny, winding British roads, I can throw my Caravel into a corner and change down heading for the next straight.
Ps, I hear that, because lighter tow vehicles(Euro/Japanese) are becoming more popular in the US, Airstream are considering drastically reducing their hitch weights. Be aware that stability will suffer as a result!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Check with some of the folks with Touregs, MLs, or Porsches ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Since this thread is five years old, I daresay the situation has been long resolved, one way or another.