Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2019, 06:35 AM   #41
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Nice looking rig! It will do well for you!
wulfraat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustent View Post
Thank you,this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I picked up a CPO Yukon XL last Friday and am in love with it so far. It rides very nice and my family is in heaven with the added creature comforts. I’m really impressed with all the safety add-one that I never thought I’d need but am happy to have now.

I’ll be hooking it up with the ProPride in a couple weeks to test it out. I backed it up to see how the size looked compared to the 2500HD, it looks great and the color combo really matches nicely.
Nice rig!
I predict the love affair will continue. ;-)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #43
Lovin' the Mountains

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Yukon Denali as tow vehicle

I own a 2016 Yukon Denali with an 8 speed transmission and tow a 25' Airstream Flying Cloud. I live in the mountains of Colorado and often travel to Phoenix by way of I-17. If you have ever traveled this road, you will know the hills there are about as steep and curvy as they can get. The Denali is a powerful machine and I am rarely reduced to less than 60 mph. Also, I rarely if ever need to use the brakes when going downhill as shifting down to a lower gear always controls the speed.
tomsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Gresham , Oregon
TV payload

You might try upgrading the rear end ratio to increase towing capacity. My tow vehicle is 2 wheel drive so I only had to change read end ratio from 3.5 to 3.92 and picked up 1000 pound towing capacity in the process. Spent $800 for the change instead of spending $40,000 for a new truck.
skido23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Anytown , New Hampshire
Quote:
My current TV is a '15 2500HD with Duramax, arguably one of the best TVs on the market.

You could also argue a Ford F-250 Powerstroke or RAM 2500 Cummins is one of the best TVs on the market, but that's besides the point.

I cannot believe you find your 2500 to ride so poorly. The GM trucks with independent front suspension generally ride better than the Ford or RAM HD trucks with solid front axles. Your truck has torsion bar front suspension and these can be adjusted. It might be worth having your dealer see if the torsion bars can be cranked down for a softer ride. Some guys crank them up for carrying a snow plow, but I think from the factory they are set in the middle.

I would also suggest carrying more ballast in the bed. A decent amount (800-1000lbs) makes a world of difference.

As for the Yukon...it well have more room inside but will not be as good a towing vehicle. The difference between a half-ton and 3/4 ton vehicle is night and day, regardless of payload rating. You have to remember that 3/4 ton vehicles are "capped" at 10k GVWR, and the diesel engine is heavy and takes away from the payload difference. But regardless of what the payload sticker says, a 3/4 ton truck is built basically just like a one-ton, with a fully floating rear axle, a heavy-duty frame, and a heavy duty engine and transmission. Look at the rear axle and frame on a Silverado 1500 vs a 2500 and you'll see what I mean.

I like the GM 6.2L engine, but it is not a heavy duty engine. That's why it is not an option on a gas 3/4 or 1 ton GM truck for any price. It has an aluminum block and head. Powerful, but apparently not durable for heavy duty towing. If you only occasionally tow and are within spec it should be fine. High altitudes will cause this engine to lose power, which is why the turbocharged Fords frequently outperform the GM 6.2L in the mountains. At lower altitudes the difference in performance is removed. The 10-speed transmission in the Yukon is a Ford unit. I don't find it to be the smoothest-shifting transmission. Again, not a heavy duty transmission either. But probably adequate for occasional towing.

In the end, you'd probably enjoy driving the Yukon better than the truck when you aren't towing. But when you were towing, you'd probably be disappointed.
troverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Towing a 30'

My situation was not exactly the same, but here is my experience with a longer AS and TV. I owned a 3/4 ton Suburban when we purchased our first AS, a 28' International. We then decided to move to our current 30' Flying Cloud. My tow experience was like night and day. It was noticeable right away that the Suburban struggled a lot more hauling the longer/heavier AS, though we were within our tow capacities. It became very evident however, that the Suburban was not going to be able to handle the climbs we experience out here in the mountain west. I went to a Duramax 2500 HD and have not regretted it. While it does lack the cushy ride I would prefer, I'm willing to put up with that to have the tow capability we need. Good luck.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #47
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Oh my...the trials of toeing, will they never end? 😂
It was so much easier before the darkweb, how did we ever survive alive?🥴

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Olympia , Washington
Denali

We towed a 28í International with our Denali. Best mileage was 10 mpg. Towing was ok BUT it will eat your brakes. When not towing , it was wonderful. We traded for the 2500hd.
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
Carmel , California
I tow my 1989 limited 34' (8900GVWR) with a 2008 Toyota Sequoia (9100 Towing Rating which was de-rated after 2010 to 7200 lbs to meet SAE specs; which are really brutal!). I have a lot of confidence in the truck plus the independent rear suspension makes for a nice ride!
RedBearded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Livermore , California
Since 1998

Iíve towed my 1991 29 Excella with a 1999 3/4 ton Suburban since 1998. Great TV and great ute. Hate to get rid of it.
dennisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
towing with a Yukon Denali

I had the opposite situation. I had a 2016 Yukon XL Denali which towed our 22 Airstream well, but when we traded up to a 2018 Airstream 26U, it didn't work so well. We took the trailer from Austin TX to Orlando which is quite flat. There was power, although with the much heavier trailer it was harder to get going. What I did not like about it was that it felt like the front end was floating even though we had a new equalizer hitch installed by the local Airstream dealer. We changed that vehicle out for a 2018 Ford F250 King Ranch diesel. This tows the AS like it is not there, but without the trailer, it is quite comfortable as well. Still a truck, but it sounds better than what you describe. Not as soft as the Yukon, but very livable. The Yukon felt like it was right at the edge of what it would handle. Choose carefully. Good luck.
P and Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #52
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Toes like it's not there...exactly what you want in a TV. 👍🥴

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
Old 01-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by P and Y View Post
------snip-----
What I did not like about it was that it felt like the front end was floating even though we had a new equalizer hitch installed by the local Airstream dealer.
The "floating front end" described is a direct consequence of not enough WD to properly load the front axle. On my setup, its a symptom of the need to tighten up a bit on WD bar tension jacks. The "floating" sensation is also referred to as "porpoising" and is an indication that you have lost positive steering control because the front end of the tow vehicle is too light. A trip across a CAT scale would be very revealing...

I would suggest that the dealer did not set up the hitch and WD bars correctly, as others have had no issues with equalizer hitch systems.

I use a ProPride system, and can adjust the weight distribution in tiny increments if need be, by adjusting the WD jack height with a wrench (or my power jack project). If I feel any porpoising, I tighten up the jacks equally by about 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so and see how it feels on a quick drive test. When the porpoising completely vanishes, it's close enough.

First indication of trouble is DW getting carsick...and we know that's NOT a good situation.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #54
Dr Johnny B. Clark

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Merritt Island , Florida
Towing 30í Interntional with 3017 Yukon XL Denali

I have this exact setup with a 1400 Ibs ProPride hitch. My total tongue weight is 950 Ibs with the hitch. I live in Florida and have traveled around in Florida with zero issues. With the ProPride hitch it distributes the weight perfectly. There is no sway with the big freight trucks. It rides down the highway like a bullet and I sometimes forget I’m towing the AS. I have all the power that is required to stay within the speed limits plus as much power as needed to pass slow vehicles. When I’m not towing I have a beautiful vehicle to tour in or to use as a daily user. The 2017 Yukon Denili XL is perfect for road trips too. I love.the setup in Florida.
jbclak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Northern , Wisconsin
Towing 30' International with 2017 Yukon XL Denali

Sounds like I made the right choice!

For those of you that canít understand why Iím complaining about a rough ride - Id invite you to tour the northern Midwest of the US and enjoy our fantastic roads.

Never had an issue with the 2500HD in Texas or Colorado, but god help me if was going to drive in Wisconsin one more day with that stiff ride.

Also, having to carry around 1k lbs to soften the ride turns me into a 9k lb truck as a daily driver - no thanks.
dustent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Paradise Valley , Arizona
My thoughts are you may be just at the limit, maybe a bit over. There'll be a lot of yapping about "extra safety margin" and such, but the biggest variable is the skill of the driver.

I've been pulling a 27 Globetrotter with our Porsche Cayenne diesel and had no plrolems, including a meltdown of my aftermarket tow controller. So the Porshe had to do all the braking. Just slow down and if it's a long down hill, pull over periodically. I also did that on long mountain pass climbs. Pull over until the oil temp went below 215 or so.

If look seriously at a good weight distribution hitch to cut the tongue wt. I'm convinced that a large percentage of risk is driver skill. Obviously one way to read that is get twice the safety factor needed.
xisme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Your plan to switch to a Yukon isn't a good idea in my opinion. The Yukon can tow a smaller Airstream safely. The ultimate measure of towing prowess is the combined vehicle weight rating GCWR. Your Sierra is rated around 24,000 lbs. The Yukon is probably in the 15k range, I am guessing, since most 1/2 trucks are the 16-17k range. Your rig will be close to overweight most of the time. The Yukon doesn't even have a tow rating sufficient, considering the tow rating is with a driver only. Remember that GCWR reflects the braking capacity of the tow vehicle. Your Yukon will have not have the braking you are used to. If you converted to disk brakes on the Airstream, you would add some safety. Otherwise, you are going to overhead brakes on the truck and trailer often if you drive in the mountains and will have poor emergency braking. You will lose the exhaust brake and be using the service brakes much more. I have a 2012 GMC 2500 and the ride is fine empty. Your description of the unloaded ride worries me. Perhaps there is something wrong with your truck? Did you buy it new? Are the original shocks still on it? The previous pre-2011 GMC trucks road stiffly, but after 2011 the hydraulic body mounts really smoothed things out. (I am assuming no charges were made by GMC---I haven't heard of any other than the cab being a couple of inches longer). I don't care for the GMC around town only because of its size, not ride quality. Why not take a look at the new Ram 1500 trucks--Motor Trend Truck of the year. This truck is truly smooth on the highway with coil springs. The Hemi has equal power to the GM 6.2 so both will be sluggish compared with the Sierra. But, the truck will be up to the task of towing that weight safely and you will have a more pleasant ride around town. Good luck.
2012 GMC Denali HD Duramax
Pro Pride hitch
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:39 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Northern , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
Your plan to switch to a Yukon isn't a good idea in my opinion. The Yukon can tow a smaller Airstream safely. The ultimate measure of towing prowess is the combined vehicle weight rating GCWR. Your Sierra is rated around 24,000 lbs. The Yukon is probably in the 15k range, I am guessing, since most 1/2 trucks are the 16-17k range. Your rig will be close to overweight most of the time. The Yukon doesn't even have a tow rating sufficient, considering the tow rating is with a driver only. Remember that GCWR reflects the braking capacity of the tow vehicle. Your Yukon will have not have the braking you are used to. If you converted to disk brakes on the Airstream, you would add some safety. Otherwise, you are going to overhead brakes on the truck and trailer often if you drive in the mountains and will have poor emergency braking. You will lose the exhaust brake and be using the service brakes much more. I have a 2012 GMC 2500 and the ride is fine empty. Your description of the unloaded ride worries me. Perhaps there is something wrong with your truck? Did you buy it new? Are the original shocks still on it? The previous pre-2011 GMC trucks road stiffly, but after 2011 the hydraulic body mounts really smoothed things out. (I am assuming no charges were made by GMC---I haven't heard of any other than the cab being a couple of inches longer). I don't care for the GMC around town only because of its size, not ride quality. Why not take a look at the new Ram 1500 trucks--Motor Trend Truck of the year. This truck is truly smooth on the highway with coil springs. The Hemi has equal power to the GM 6.2 so both will be sluggish compared with the Sierra. But, the truck will be up to the task of towing that weight safely and you will have a more pleasant ride around town. Good luck.

I think you missed the part about needing more interior space. We are a family of 4 + dog and need more space for everyday things like strollers and grandparents. Itís hard to get 4 plus a dog comfortably in any pickup truck and the grandparents arenít keen on riding in the box.

Iíll post an update soon, weíre heading down to Florida for February and will have plenty of time to determine if this was a good move or a bad move!
dustent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:31 AM   #59
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
I think you missed the part about needing more interior space. We are a family of 4 + dog and need more space for everyday things like strollers and grandparents. Itís hard to get 4 plus a dog comfortably in any pickup truck and the grandparents arenít keen on riding in the box.

Iíll post an update soon, weíre heading down to Florida for February and will have plenty of time to determine if this was a good move or a bad move!
Don't worry, 🤯...just pay attention to axle and tire load ratings, get a quality WD, set it up properly, carefully load the AS and TV, enjoy. 👍
'Like it's not even there'... is not the goal, you want to know it's there...safely. 😏

Bob
🇺🇸
POI...We don't truck-it, we 'burb' it.😘 2500 8.1

Love for the Adirondacks

RLC
Old 01-11-2019, 07:03 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
My 2016Ram Laramie 2500 tows like a dream with a ride comparable to SUV. And the Cummins 6.7 TBD doesnít even know itís there. Maybe itís the Rams air suspension. I upgraded from a 1500 Ram because the payload was so low. Just saying there may be another truck option for you that is a safer tug.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote