Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2019, 08:50 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
My 25 GT twin arrives in Jan and taking my 450 GL to shop in LA recommended by Andy for hitch reinforcement. Buying shank from CanAm and dealer will follow Andy’s guide to install Eaz Lift 1000 with 2 sway bars. Two people and a dog and little gear is how we roll now in Sport 22, centerline WD
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
A 27 can of course be towed by a GL 450. The GL has attributes that make it much better than the half ton pickups that are often used to tow this size trailer. However the proper vehicle to tow this size trailer is a 3/4 ton pickup. I have towed my 28 with a half ton GMC and a MB ML 350 with WDH, and with a Ram 2500 without WDH and I can tell you there is no comparison in stability, power and the overall feeling of security.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #63
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
From an earlier post: "The GL450 has too short of a wheelbase for a 27' trailer."

This comment on wheel base is right-on. We bought our 30' Classic in Atlanta and towed it home to Houston with a Navigator. That vehicle was totally inappropriate with its short wheelbase. It was the tail wagging the dog all the way home. Common "mechanical" sense would tell us that longer wheelbase provides more control.

When I joined this forum almost 15 years ago, the most common thread then was "can I tow this with that...?"

If the TV/Trailer combo was pushing the limits, the most common answers were:
1. Yes you can, but stopping it or controlling it in an emergency situation is what counts.
2. You can but its not a good idea. Please let us know when you'll be on the road, and where, so we can avoid that route during that time.

I'll add another comment. Do you want to be standing in front of a judge, or a jury, or the family of someone you have killed or maimed (or their attack-dog ambulance-chasing lawyer) trying to explain why it was perfectly safe to go out on the highway with a rig that is barely adequate for normal driving and inadequate in an emergency. If you are reconfiguring your rig by moving batteries, propane bottles and spare tires, I think this will be a difficult argument to win - including with yourself standing in front of a mirror.

My F150 will tow my 8000 lb Classic pretty well, but I definitely know the trailer is back there. My F250 diesel often feels like there's no trailer attached. Overkill? Maybe. But going over Colorado passes, or across the Texas panhandle with 25mph cross winds and passing 18-wheelers, I have peace of mind. So does my copilot.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Diesel View Post

I'll add another comment. Do you want to be standing in front of a judge, or a jury, or the family of someone you have killed or maimed (or their attack-dog ambulance-chasing lawyer) trying to explain why it was perfectly safe to go out on the highway with a rig that is barely adequate for normal driving and inadequate in an emergency. If you are reconfiguring your rig by moving batteries, propane bottles and spare tires, I think this will be a difficult argument to win - including with yourself standing in front of a mirror.
You can not be serious. A MB GL 450 or Porsche Cayenne are barely adequate for normal driving and inadequate in an emergency. Compared to what, the supercar characteristics of a top heavy, poor braking and handling pickup truck?
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:12 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Amazing to read and watch on the roads, how proud the owners of trucks are.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Pride? I was proud of my Jaguar F-type, but not my truck. However, when I hitch up the truck and drive on down the road I feel like I have the right tool for the job, just like when I use my Dremel tool for some esoteric task. I have towed different trailers and boats with different TV's, but at this point in my life, I know I have the right vehicle for towing my Airstream.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
BruBen, welcome to the forums!

We had a similar situation starting with a 2016 VW Touareg TDI and a Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB. The diesel pulled like a champ and got 16 MPG towing. We loved the Airstream experience but decided we needed more room. That led us to the 27’ Globetrotter. Tongue weight and payload were not enough (770# hitch limit and 1168# payload on the Touareg).

We decided to upgrade to a 2019 Ram 1500 with 1840# payload (or so we thought). Actual on the door sticker was 1220# - ouch. Dealer and FCA finally made good and bought back the truck.

I did have time to go to the CAT scales and check the 1500’s axle limits before trading up to a Ram 2500 with 2940# payload. The 1500 was over the rear axle limit with a loaded Globetrotter. Actual measured tongue weight was 1100#.

Andy at Can-Am in Canada sets up Mercedes, BMW and VW/Porsches to handle the tongue weight but you’ll be short on payload. Lots of threads on the topic.

Here’s my story if you want to check it out: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-a-198633.html

Good luck with your decision - you will love the Globetrotter, we do!
I found your post interesting. My Ram 1500 has a 4100 Pound Rear Axle Rating. Was yours lower?
Old 11-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
McCall , Idaho
Go bigger.

It’s interesting to see the same question asked in about 40-50 versions. I suspect the person asking already knows the answer to their question. Yet maybe they can drum up enough free advice to make themselves fill better about ignoring their own common sense.

I’ve been towing things since I’ve been driving, personal and commercial. Size does matter when towing. Power is nice to get it all moving, but a good size engine is the best brake you have.

The first time your trailer gets squirrely, or It begins to push you around. A few quick prayers to never experience that again will help, but buying a proper tow rig will make towing a joy vs having a permanent pucker.

Takes the fun right out of it.
Duckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Given poor handling, poor brakes, primitive suspension, there need to be some kind of love chemicals in the truck exhaust fumes which explain the bond between the trucks and the owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Pride? I was proud of my Jaguar F-type, but not my truck. However, when I hitch up the truck and drive on down the road I feel like I have the right tool for the job, just like when I use my Dremel tool for some esoteric task. I have towed different trailers and boats with different TV's, but at this point in my life, I know I have the right vehicle for towing my Airstream.

Larry
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #70

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckwheat View Post
It’s interesting to see the same question asked in about 40-50 versions. I suspect the person asking already knows the answer to their question. Yet maybe they can drum up enough free advice to make themselves fill better about ignoring their own common sense.

I’ve been towing things since I’ve been driving, personal and commercial. Size does matter when towing. Power is nice to get it all moving, but a good size engine is the best brake you have.

The first time your trailer gets squirrely, or It begins to push you around. A few quick prayers to never experience that again will help, but buying a proper tow rig will make towing a joy vs having a permanent pucker.

Takes the fun right out of it.

[emoji106]
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:35 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by cru-in View Post
I found your post interesting. My Ram 1500 has a 4100 Pound Rear Axle Rating. Was yours lower?
Your Ram has a 4100 lb rear axle rating, but what is your actual payload capacity? They are 2 different things.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:17 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
Your Ram has a 4100 lb rear axle rating, but what is your actual payload capacity? They are 2 different things.
I am well aware they are two different things.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:38 AM   #73
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
As I write this I am sitting in Florida. On the way here I passed 62 RV Trailers, I was running 70 MPH so obviously I only passed those going slower. Of the 62 I saw one trailer with a properly dialed in hitch system, 2 ProPrides and one Hensley.

Therefore 58 of those people have no idea how well their combination could handle if it was connected properly. However most of them likely think the answer is not their hitch system configuration, they likely feel they need a bigger truck. After all the car makers spend millions telling you that solves all problems. Ironically the bigger truck still connected wrong is likely less safe than their current combinations, it is a false sense of security.

In the video linked below we were testing a great electronic trailer sway control system for trailers. The trailer is far less stable than any Airstream and far more likely to roll over. You can slide an Airstream sideways on pavement and it will stay on its wheels, this one won't. Since we had to push this trailer very hard to get the Video I wanted a tow vehicle that was extremely stable connected to it and that would have handling capability well beyond the trailer. So we used a Mercedes GL.

If you have any doubts about the GL's handling capability watch this video.

Andy

https://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/videos/

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:48 AM   #74
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Just to give you an idea a still picture from the video above, someone clicked the camera at just the right time.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	on two wheels smaller.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	356887  

Old 11-27-2019, 06:09 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cru-in View Post
Hi Cru-in,

My 2019 Ram 1500 had a 4100 pound rear axle rating as well. I could get it just under the max with the Blue Ox connected but didn't want to be that close to the edge. The truck's Hemi had enough power (was equipped with 3.92 axle) but the 2500 is much more relaxing to drive. It's also over 1000 pounds heavier than the 1500.

Cheers!
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:39 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
My 25 GT twin arrives in Jan and taking my 450 GL to shop in LA recommended by Andy for hitch reinforcement. Buying shank from CanAm and dealer will follow Andy’s guide to install Eaz Lift 1000 with 2 sway bars. Two people and a dog and little gear is how we roll now in Sport 22, centerline WD

And there is the answer we are looking for!!!!!!!!
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:17 AM   #77
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
I towed a 30 ft 6000 lb race car trailer with an MB G500 with less horsepower than your MB. But the G is more like a truck than a family SUV.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:23 AM   #78
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Hi Cru-in,

My 2019 Ram 1500 had a 4100 pound rear axle rating as well. I could get it just under the max with the Blue Ox connected but didn't want to be that close to the edge. The truck's Hemi had enough power (was equipped with 3.92 axle) but the 2500 is much more relaxing to drive. It's also over 1000 pounds heavier than the 1500.

Cheers!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I’ve never been able to get adequate weight transfer with a BO hitch. Also the ball is too far behind the bumper. This is why you were 4100 on your rear axle.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:35 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
[emoji106]
Spent 40 years in my own infrastructure construction business. Once it matured I was running 25 semis daily running materials in and out in addition 3 lowboys hauling equipment some weighing 146 I lbs.
My very existence depended on getting weights and loading right.
When I purchased our first AS a 2012 28' International I happened to read an article in the AS magazine by CanAm how smaller vehicles work well and that they were towing trailers with Chrysler minivans. I was intreaged.
I sent if a question regarding how the compensate for payload. I have yet to receive an answer.
I decided to go with a F-150.
When we upgraded to a 30' I immediately realized the under certain conditions the trailer was bullying the truck.
I upgraded to an F-250 diesel problem solved.
Not trusting the so called experts I also educated myself about hitches. I do my own installations and set up. Don't want anyone messing with it.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
As I write this I am sitting in Florida. On the way here I passed 62 RV Trailers, I was running 70 MPH so obviously I only passed those going slower. Of the 62 I saw one trailer with a properly dialed in hitch system, 2 ProPrides and one Hensley.

Therefore 58 of those people have no idea how well their combination could handle if it was connected properly. However most of them likely think the answer is not their hitch system configuration, they likely feel they need a bigger truck. After all the car makers spend millions telling you that solves all problems. Ironically the bigger truck still connected wrong is likely less safe than their current combinations, it is a false sense of security.

In the video linked below we were testing a great electronic trailer sway control system for trailers. The trailer is far less stable than any Airstream and far more likely to roll over. You can slide an Airstream sideways on pavement and it will stay on its wheels, this one won't. Since we had to push this trailer very hard to get the Video I wanted a tow vehicle that was extremely stable connected to it and that would have handling capability well beyond the trailer. So we used a Mercedes GL.

If you have any doubts about the GL's handling capability watch this video.

Andy

https://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/videos/

How did you determine that 61 or 58 were not configured correctly?
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote