Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Towing 25ft GT with 2018 Suburban

Hi I have a 2018 Suburban Premier. I am considering purchasing a 25FB Globetrotter. Anyone have experience pulling a late model 25ft with a late model Suburban?
Jason P M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason P M View Post
Hi I have a 2018 Suburban Premier. I am considering purchasing a 25FB Globetrotter. Anyone have experience pulling a late model 25ft with a late model Suburban?
I am using a 2016 Yukon XL to pull a 25RB Serenity International.....5.3L with max tow package....been to Ohio from Rhode Island twice...and multiple trips around Rhode Island and Massachusetts campgrounds.

Plenty of power and handles well using a Trekker (Camco) hitch.

Regards,
Chris
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
I am using a 2016 Yukon XL to pull a 25RB Serenity International.....5.3L with max tow package....been to Ohio from Rhode Island twice...and multiple trips around Rhode Island and Massachusetts campgrounds.

Plenty of power and handles well using a Trekker (Camco) hitch.

Regards,
Chris
Thank you. My truck has the “regular” tow package not the max. I believe the main difference is the rear end gears. Is that correct? Wondering if I can have the gear changed to the 3.42 and add the trailer brake control. Was your “max” package factory installed?
Old 08-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
If you're not going out west much, you'll find your stock configuration will pull competently. I suspect it will do okay on the steeper longer mountain passes also but if you're concerned get a cheap infrared thermal scanner and shoot the differential and transmission pan a few times You want the transmission pan below 210 and the differential below 240. Seven to ten or so minutes after you stop will be most accurate. If the temperatures are on the high side, consider a gear change.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Thank you. My truck has the “regular” tow package not the max. I believe the main difference is the rear end gears. Is that correct? Wondering if I can have the gear changed to the 3.42 and add the trailer brake control. Was your “max” package factory installed?
Yes, came from day one with 3.42 gears and controller built in...
Old 08-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
If you're not going out west much, you'll find your stock configuration will pull competently. I suspect it will do okay on the steeper longer mountain passes also but if you're concerned get a cheap infrared thermal scanner and shoot the differential and transmission pan a few times You want the transmission pan below 210 and the differential below 240. Seven to ten or so minutes after you stop will be most accurate. If the temperatures are on the high side, consider a gear change.
His truck should have a temp sensor to do the readings no?
Old 08-23-2020, 07:04 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
It has a lot of stock sensors. I will check. I know it does have a trans cooler. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2020, 06:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
It has a lot of stock sensors. I will check. I know it does have a trans cooler. Thanks!
The transcooler will be a big help especially when traversing hills and city traffic with start/stop.

Our runs between 192F and 198F when we traveled between Rhode Island and Ohio. There were some long up hill grades and the engine would tach around 2500 RPM i.e. one gear above overdrive and the temp would follow accordingly.....but never seen anything over 199 with an outside temp of 90F when I seen it @199.

Your truck being so new, should be pretty close to this model......the temp sensor should be in the scrolling menus in the "info" panel....where you see panels like 4WD, TRIP A, TRIP B..etc.

If you DON'T see transmission temperature, go to the panel settings area and "check" the option for it to be displayed....for me, I turned all the info panels on and removed the "blank" page so I always have all the panels scrollable because I'm a technical nosy person.

Give that a go.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
That's great to hear kittmaster, having transmission temperature available while towing at slower speeds and or grades is very important. My 210 reading is reduced by about 25 degrees to adjust for heat transfer through the steel pan. You start getting concerned about transmission temp at about 230-235 for most transmissions/fluid, high performance transmissions are designed to run a bit warmer and have fluids more tolerant of heat so 250-260 for them.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Aiken , South Carolina
I tow our 2007 Safari 25FB with our 2014 Suburban. Handles and tows adequately. My next TV will be the same configuration except with the Max Towing Package. In researching a possible TV replacement last year, I found that the 5.3L with the max tow package has a greater load & tow capacity than the 6.2, and greater than the 4WD model. Go figure
awkirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #11
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Jason PM - a lot of other threads address this topic of TV match to AS, and folks are towing 34 footers with Nissan NV’s and 30 footers with Tundras. Not sure why there is any doubt about a Suburban towing a shorter AS? I am guessing the suburban is on the 1/2 ton truck chassis? Union does like the Honda Ridgelines are doing it. Not sure why anyone would say you cannot tow your AS with a Suburban? Our friends from Land Yacht Harbor have been towing their 34 footer with GM version of the Suburban for years! Most people on these threads say 1/2 ton pickups and SUV’s are able to tow an AS of any length. We just observed at a recent rally, a 23 footer being towed by a Ford Explorer. Andy Thompson in Canada has setup Subaru WRX’s to tow shorter AS’s, as well as other AS’s with remarkably smaller SUV’s.

My joke is that since I am a Toyota fan, I will take my Camry up to Canada to have it setup to tow my 26 foot AS, without regard for payload, rear axle rate, or towing limits! The Camry is a maneuverable vehicle and reliable and durable vehicle, so who needs a Tundra?

Questions that come with an enclosed “bed” on an SUV, become where are you going to put smelly products like a generator, gas can, BBQ, etc.?

For the number crunchers - what is your payload on your Suburban, Rear Axle rating, Towing number is always the most “friendly” of our calculations?

Join the WBCCI organization, attend rallies and caravans and meet great people on the road!
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by awkirch View Post
I tow our 2007 Safari 25FB with our 2014 Suburban. Handles and tows adequately. My next TV will be the same configuration except with the Max Towing Package. In researching a possible TV replacement last year, I found that the 5.3L with the max tow package has a greater load & tow capacity than the 6.2, and greater than the 4WD model. Go figure
Thank you! What’s the gross weight on that trailer? The 25FB GT that I am looking at is 7300.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:07 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by superChop View Post
Jason PM - a lot of other threads address this topic of TV match to AS, and folks are towing 34 footers with Nissan NV’s and 30 footers with Tundras. Not sure why there is any doubt about a Suburban towing a shorter AS? I am guessing the suburban is on the 1/2 ton truck chassis? Union does like the Honda Ridgelines are doing it. Not sure why anyone would say you cannot tow your AS with a Suburban? Our friends from Land Yacht Harbor have been towing their 34 footer with GM version of the Suburban for years! Most people on these threads say 1/2 ton pickups and SUV’s are able to tow an AS of any length. We just observed at a recent rally, a 23 footer being towed by a Ford Explorer. Andy Thompson in Canada has setup Subaru WRX’s to tow shorter AS’s, as well as other AS’s with remarkably smaller SUV’s.

My joke is that since I am a Toyota fan, I will take my Camry up to Canada to have it setup to tow my 26 foot AS, without regard for payload, rear axle rate, or towing limits! The Camry is a maneuverable vehicle and reliable and durable vehicle, so who needs a Tundra?

Questions that come with an enclosed “bed” on an SUV, become where are you going to put smelly products like a generator, gas can, BBQ, etc.?

For the number crunchers - what is your payload on your Suburban, Rear Axle rating, Towing number is always the most “friendly” of our calculations?

Join the WBCCI organization, attend rallies and caravans and meet great people on the road!
Thank you superChop. The curb weight for the suburban is 5800 with a GVWR of 7500. The door sticker says not to exceed 1500 payload. Rear axle rating is 4200. Base weight for the 25FB is 6074 and gross is 7300. GCWR for the suburban is 12000.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:33 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Rockaway , New Jersey
Jason PM
I am your neighbor in Denville NJ, with a 27' which I had no issue towing with a 2009 F150 with similiar payload to your suburban. I now have a 250 and payload difference does make life less stressful, as I carry bikes, firewood, generator, grills, kyacks, etc...
I guess the difference is that with a bigger vehicle, you just don't feel that the stream is even back there. But, take your time, watch your payload and you should be fine.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomfeury View Post
Jason PM
I am your neighbor in Denville NJ, with a 27' which I had no issue towing with a 2009 F150 with similiar payload to your suburban. I now have a 250 and payload difference does make life less stressful, as I carry bikes, firewood, generator, grills, kyacks, etc...
I guess the difference is that with a bigger vehicle, you just don't feel that the stream is even back there. But, take your time, watch your payload and you should be fine.
Thank you Tom!
Old 08-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
The transcooler will be a big help especially when traversing hills and city traffic with start/stop.

Our runs between 192F and 198F when we traveled between Rhode Island and Ohio. There were some long up hill grades and the engine would tach around 2500 RPM i.e. one gear above overdrive and the temp would follow accordingly.....but never seen anything over 199 with an outside temp of 90F when I seen it @199.

Your truck being so new, should be pretty close to this model......the temp sensor should be in the scrolling menus in the "info" panel....where you see panels like 4WD, TRIP A, TRIP B..etc.

If you DON'T see transmission temperature, go to the panel settings area and "check" the option for it to be displayed....for me, I turned all the info panels on and removed the "blank" page so I always have all the panels scrollable because I'm a technical nosy person.

Give that a go.
I checked my 2018 suburban. It does have a trans fluid temperature gauge in the driver info center. Thanks. I didn’t know that was there.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Thank you superChop. The curb weight for the suburban is 5800 with a GVWR of 7500. The door sticker says not to exceed 1500 payload. Rear axle rating is 4200. Base weight for the 25FB is 6074 and gross is 7300. GCWR for the suburban is 12000.
Simple math - Curb weight of the two is 5800+6074 = 11874. You have only 126# left for driver, passengers, cargo in the truck and gear, water, food and clothing in the trailer and that is if the TV has had nothing added since it left the factory.

I wouldn't tow like that. I don't worry too much if the loaded trailer and truck are a 100-200 pounds over the ratings but I don''t see how you could get there unless you travel alone and buy most of what you need at your destination.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:03 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Does it have a trans temp gauge on the dash?
GM loves sensors...if the tranny gets too hot it will go into 'limp mode'. 30mph in lower gear. Same for engine cooling.

Bob
🇺🇸
Limp mode for our Burb is 260-300
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	344504C7-B55B-44C4-8C3F-C01DBE3773EB_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	614.5 KB
ID:	376920  
Old 08-25-2020, 05:32 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Does it have a trans temp gauge on the dash?
GM loves sensors...if the tranny gets too hot it will go into 'limp mode'. 30mph in lower gear. Same for engine cooling.

Bob
🇺🇸
Limp mode for our Burb is 260-300
It’s a digital temp gauge on the lcd driver info display right in front of steering wheel. I assume it replaced the analog gauge. It’s not an “idiot” light. It gives the actual temp. I was driving around without any load today and it was registering 150-160.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:48 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Simple math - Curb weight of the two is 5800+6074 = 11874. You have only 126# left for driver, passengers, cargo in the truck and gear, water, food and clothing in the trailer and that is if the TV has had nothing added since it left the factory.

I wouldn't tow like that. I don't worry too much if the loaded trailer and truck are a 100-200 pounds over the ratings but I don''t see how you could get there unless you travel alone and buy most of what you need at your destination.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.
I don’t disagree in principle. What makes me think it would be fine is that the only difference between the 2018 suburban with the “regular” towing package rated at 6000 max trailer and 12000 GCWR, and the suburban with the “max” trailering package rated at 8000 max trailer and 14000 GCWR, is the rear end. Regular towing package has stock 3.08 rear. Max towing package is 3.42 rear. Everything else is identical - frame, engine, springs (mine does have air springs).