Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason P M View Post
It’s a digital temp gauge on the lcd driver info display right in front of steering wheel. I assume it replaced the analog gauge. It’s not an “idiot” light. It gives the actual temp. I was driving around without any load today and it was registering 150-160.
What was the external temperature when you were reading those temps?

Sounds about right for normal driving in mid 80's temperature.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:57 PM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,071
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason P M View Post
It’s a digital temp gauge on the lcd driver info display right in front of steering wheel. I assume it replaced the analog gauge. It’s not an “idiot” light. It gives the actual temp. I was driving around without any load today and it was registering 150-160.

Thats exactly where ours is w/o the AS.

Bob
🇺🇸
__________________
Tahawus

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar
 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason P M View Post
I don’t disagree in principle. What makes me think it would be fine is that the only difference between the 2018 suburban with the “regular” towing package rated at 6000 max trailer and 12000 GCWR, and the suburban with the “max” trailering package rated at 8000 max trailer and 14000 GCWR, is the rear end. Regular towing package has stock 3.08 rear. Max towing package is 3.42 rear. Everything else is identical - frame, engine, springs (mine does have air springs).
That being the case, it could work, but is not optimum. Even with the max tow rated at 14,000, the total of the two GVWRs is 14,800. Could be done with careful attention to what is loaded. A friend of mine at work, also a system engineer, once said when referring to design of hardware for his sailboat, "...overkill is just about right."
__________________
“You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"
Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO WBCCI 1322
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8,884
Towing 25ft GT with 2018 Suburban

Love that quote. I’m an alumni of Macgyver University and the Department head of the local Department of Overkill Engineering.
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
Dennis C's Avatar
 
2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 1,140
GM is very squirrelly with their definitions of various tow packages. I have a 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 tow vehicle. It has an integrated trailer brake controller and a 3.42 rear end, but it does not have the Max trailering package. It has the trailering equipment package, listed on the window sticker. There is also an option called the enhanced towing package. GM doesn’t release details on any of these packages. When I look at the door jamb sticker on my truck, the capacities fall in line with the standard capacities, not any of the enhanced packages. It’s very difficult to determine exactly what GM trucks can do without extensive research. I asked my GMC service advisor about this when I went in for my last oil change, and it was like I was speaking a foreign language. He had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:56 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member
 
2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
What was the external temperature when you were reading those temps?

Sounds about right for normal driving in mid 80's temperature.
Yes about 85 outside.
Jason P M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:57 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member
 
2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Thats exactly where ours is w/o the AS.

Bob
🇺🇸
Thanks Bob.
Jason P M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:10 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member
 
2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
That being the case, it could work, but is not optimum. Even with the max tow rated at 14,000, the total of the two GVWRs is 14,800. Could be done with careful attention to what is loaded. A friend of mine at work, also a system engineer, once said when referring to design of hardware for his sailboat, "...overkill is just about right."
I generally fall into that camp too. At some point in the next couple years I would probably trade my 2018 suburban in for the new model and get the 6.2L with the 3.23 gears. Trying to avoid biting that bullet today. I took my 2003 suburban to Baja and left it there. Might have to bring it back. That truck has 7100 tow capacity with a base engine and 3.73 gears. Fuel economy wasn’t the primary factor on that truck.
Jason P M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:14 AM   #29
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,071
Images: 1
We are at JC now. Yesterdays towing, 87 ambient, thru the hills towing... 190 max.

Bob
🇺🇸
__________________
Tahawus

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #30
Rivet Master
 
2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
We are at JC now. Yesterdays towing, 87 ambient, thru the hills towing... 190 max.

Bob
🇺🇸
Who is working on your trailer?

We had Steve on our last trip and Brandon on our 1st trip.

Just axles or other stuff too?

What is the wait room like, anyone hanging around?
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:58 AM   #31
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,071
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Who is working on your trailer?

We had Steve on our last trip and Brandon on our 1st trip.

Just axles or other stuff too?

What is the wait room like, anyone hanging around?

Matt is doing the axles. DW wanted him to look at the broken storage drawer slides but the drawer works just fine sliding on the floor and the latch still holds it closed ...plus it's just my stuff in there anyway.

Folks come and go in the waiting room, they take your temp once when the RO is written and if in a small group inside most all will mask up...all in all pretty darn good.

They are pumping them out in the new building down the road but it's not open to the public yet....it's unbelaivwblr

I'll post some pic's when we get home.

POI...not only was I waring out one new tire, but Matt said both axles were worn and the axle was NOT bent at all, just worn out.
Some folks here know how I have babied them since realizing the axle rating vs GVWR descripency .(off the ground every winter since new). My takeaway....the trailer really should have had a higher rated axle right from the start.

Bob...live from the AS Service Center
🇺🇸
__________________
Tahawus

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Matt is doing the axles. DW wanted him to look at the broken storage drawer slides but the drawer works just fine sliding on the floor and the latch still holds it closed ...plus it's just my stuff in there anyway.

Folks come and go in the waiting room, they take your temp once when the RO is written and if in a small group inside most all will mask up...all in all pretty darn good.

They are pumping them out in the new building down the road but it's not open to the public yet....it's unbelaivwblr

I'll post some pic's when we get home.

POI...not only was I waring out one new tire, but Matt said both axles were worn and the axle was NOT bent at all, just worn out.
Some folks here know how I have babied them since realizing the axle rating vs GVWR descripency .(off the ground every winter since new). My takeaway....the trailer really should have had a higher rated axle right from the start.

Bob...live from the AS Service Center
🇺🇸
Sounds exactly like what we had when we were there.

Good to see they are getting it all resolved.

Live from Rhode Island....Chris
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:12 PM   #33
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,071
Images: 1
Back from JC

A few pic's....The new building is up and running but not open to the public.
The Service side is swamped...There must have been over a hundred tagged trailers waiting in the lot.

New SWAG from the money sponge shop.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4FCED4D1-D206-4891-AB53-983B492D0E6F_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	377199   Click image for larger version

Name:	99D9A712-43A3-4583-BE94-40C6C1E90CF4_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	377200  

Click image for larger version

Name:	D1FDEDC4-4247-45AD-872F-CB556F9806D1_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	377201   Click image for larger version

Name:	234ABAD6-7D63-495B-AD62-A4962518B395_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	377202  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAE47E38-2915-4476-81D6-7F04DC328804_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	377203   Click image for larger version

Name:	08512024-1B47-469E-A09A-66DD84AD2CE4.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	377206  

Click image for larger version

Name:	8959B8A8-A28A-4037-9B12-05E289253F2B_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	377207   Click image for larger version

Name:	08F5842D-7E8B-4437-922D-849695F80F6D_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	377209  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CE59921B-B8CF-4736-87E3-B809EF62D5C9_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	377210  
__________________
Tahawus

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:32 PM   #34
Rivet Master
 
2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
A few pic's....The new building is up and running but not open to the public.
The Service side is swamped...There must have been over a hundred tagged trailers waiting in the lot.

New SWAG from the money sponge shop.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Thanks for the pics.....looks like they got you all sorted......safe journeys home.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:58 PM   #35
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,071
Images: 1
We were slowed down by "Laura's" 50mph horizontal rain.
100mi at 30-40mph to finally get out of it. Good roads and light traffic and towing an Airstream made outrunning doable. Once out we rested overnight 70mi from home.

The Service side was 5 stars as usual, Matt was outstanding and had everything done in one shift.
The TerraPort was full, with at least 100 tagged units in the back lot waiting for completion.

The new facility is HUGE, couldn't get inside but they are pumping them out, hope it's not too fast though.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC1D9D3A-D2D8-41DB-BE90-891E55174056_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	377215  
__________________
Tahawus

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #36
New Member
 
Currently Looking...
Newland , North Carolina
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason P M View Post
Hi I have a 2018 Suburban Premier. I am considering purchasing a 25FB Globetrotter. Anyone have experience pulling a late model 25ft with a late model Suburban?

We towed a 23 foot Flying Cloud with a Yukon Denali from North Carolina to San Diego and back with many side trips along the way.
The check engine light never came on. Yeah!
7Newland7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:00 PM   #37
New Member
 
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason P M View Post
Hi I have a 2018 Suburban Premier. I am considering purchasing a 25FB Globetrotter. Anyone have experience pulling a late model 25ft with a late model Suburban?
I am pulling a 27FB Tommy Bahama with a 2018 Chevy Tahoe RST with towing package and 6.2 liter V8. It works well but I understand the longer Suburbans have a 500 lb less tow rating than the shorter Tahoe. I believe my rating is 8500 lbs with a 7,700 lb fully loaded trailer - pretty close to max. I assume the 25 weighs less.
Stellablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:11 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member
 
2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellablue View Post
I am pulling a 27FB Tommy Bahama with a 2018 Chevy Tahoe RST with towing package and 6.2 liter V8. It works well but I understand the longer Suburbans have a 500 lb less tow rating than the shorter Tahoe. I believe my rating is 8500 lbs with a 7,700 lb fully loaded trailer - pretty close to max. I assume the 25 weighs less.
Thank you! Yes the suburban towing capacity is about 400 less than the Tahoe. The other difference between your Tahoe and my Suburban is mine has the 5.3L engine. The Suburban with the 6.2L would have 8000 lb trailering capacity.
Jason P M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:09 PM   #39
New Member
 
Currently Looking...
Grassy Creek , Kentucky
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 2
Wanting to Tow a 25ft RB with a 2016 Suburban LT

Hey, Everyone!
I know that this as more than likely been asked and answered, however, this is merely to calm my fears. I'm looking to buy Flying Cloud 25ft RB in the very near future and I'll be towing it with a 2016 Chevy Suburban LT. I intend to have a Hensley anti-sway bar installed on my SUV but I'm curious if my vehicle will make the cut. HALP!!
OldJumper71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:40 PM   #40
Rivet Master
 
StreamNTyme's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 813
Images: 27
If you really want an SUV you need a Ford Expedition w extra long wheel base, heavy duty tow package, 3.5 turbo engine, 4 wheel drive rated at 9300 lbs. We tow our 25' FBSE with this Expedition SUV and a Propride hitch. Just returned from the nearly vertical steep hairpin turns in the Utah mtns, SUV did not even sweat..it just went straight up the mountains with no strain. Felt very safe on some really terrorizing roads. Super control on the steep downhill hairpin curves. We towed through a 40/50 mi. hr. blowing snow blizzard in 4 wheel drive; lots of trucks and cars in the ditches, we had no problem, no sway. This is our 3rd Expedition, its very comfortable and safe, the SUV just gets better and better.
Safe Travels.
__________________
StreamNTyme
StreamNTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing 25ft airstream with 2018 Suburban Jason P M Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 14 09-23-2020 09:42 PM
Towing a 25ft Airstream down Hwy 1 Maggiefoss On The Road... 27 03-30-2013 10:39 PM
2005 Airstream Safari 25WB 25Ft Travel Trailer S2005 Airstream Safari 25WB 25Ft Trave eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 04-10-2012 02:10 PM
Nice 2007 airstream safari 25ft travel trailer snice 2007 airstream safari 25ft trav eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 3 12-31-2011 02:09 PM
Nice 2007 airstream safari 25ft travel trailer snice 2007 airstream safari 25ft trav eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 09-07-2011 08:50 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.