Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2003, 08:08 AM   #1

Towing 22 foot International CCD with a Jeep?

My husband and I are considering purchasing the 22foot CCD, and we are not sure if our current vehicle can handle it. The trailer is rated at 5300lbs fully loaded, 4000lbs dry and our Jeep Cherokee Sport is capable of towing 5000lbs, according to the specs. Is this cutting it too close? We've towed a 1962 Bambi with it and had no problems, but that is a MUCH lighter trailer. Thanks!
kitsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 08:40 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Trouble

IMHO, this is cutting it way too close. I tow the 22' AS with a 5.3L Silverado rated at over 7000# and try to keep the AS at about 5000#. I feel that the towing performance is just adequate for this combination.

It is best to keep the trailer at 75% or less of the tow rating.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 08:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The "tow rating" is the most that a particular model can PULL, with a paticular engine and axle ratio, with one lightweight driver, no gas in the tank, no other passengers, no cargo, AND no options on the vehicle.

It is derived by subtracting that vehicle weight from the vehicle's Gross Combined Weight Rating. If the vehicle has options, if you fill the gas tank, and if you add passengers and cargo, you have to take their weights out of the so-called "tow rating." A vehicle rated 5000 lbs may only have 4000-4500 lbs left after this, and various rule's of thumb, such as using only 80% of tow rating help account for that.

But your vehicle has to do more than pull the load, it has to CARRY part of it, as well as carry the weight of the hitch. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is the maximum your vehicle can weigh, with options, fuel, people, cargo, hitch, and trailer tongue weight.

The only accurate way to know what you have left for a load is to fuel the vehicle up, load it with all the passengers and cargo that will be in it when you tow, and take it to a scale, such as a CAT scale.

This will give you your tow vehicle's actual weight by axle, which will also show you how much reserve capacity your vehicle has for towing not only compared to total capacity, but to axle capacity as well.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:49 AM   #4

So I think that we are going to have to get a different vehicle to tow the 22 foot CCD. Does anyone have a recommendation? We are planning to full time in it for a year or so with two small children. Thanks!
kitsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 12:14 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Hi Kitsullivan,

we're new members also and basically in your same situation. A married couple with 2 younger ones...(dogs) planning a 6 month live in and having to change our vehicle.

You can check our thread under: forums, model/year (2003 International CCD) "best tow vehicle for 22'CCD".

After various investigations, numerous suggestions and great reccomendations from the experts here at the forums we are currently looking at Diesel engines for durability & gas mileage.
Specifically at:
Ford Excursion - Chevrolet 2500 Suburban & Ford F250 extended cab with cap.

We have test driven and reviewed most vehicles out there (used & new) and we believe the best value for our needs are the three mentioned above.

In our area diesels are very hard to come by but because of all the advantages they offer, they're definetly the best choice for long term towing. We'll keep on searching.

Good luck!
Kimili

KIMILI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 05:05 PM   #6
Contributing Member

Hi Kitsullivan,

Your intention to full time for a year in a 22' CCD really raised the hairs on the back of my neck. Much as I admire the 22' Internationals, I'll venture the opinion that it would be a total disaster.

The CCD has almost no storage, a very small wardrobe, and a miniscule refrigerator. The dinette would have to be made up nightly for the children and bedding for that would take up much of the limited under-dinette space (look under there, the space is half taken up by the huge wheel well cover). Where do all the other things go? Medicines, clothing, toys, TV, etc. In a trailer this small, even dealing with your laundry and shoes is a challenge.

The International AS is a lot more liveable than the CCD, but, even with it, I wouldn't ever advise what you propose. My wife and I, fairly experienced RVers, consider that the AS is good for 2 people for 2 to 3 week trips and no more than that. The two of us fill the AS wardrobe with summer clothes for a one-week rally. I consider the CCD to be a fine long weekender for a couple and little more.

Of the current Airstream line, even the 25' would be too small for the amount of time and people you propose. Better to buy an older, larger unit and put the difference into th tow vehicle.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-22-2003, 07:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Agree with what John said. A wide-body 25' is fine for one person full-timing. You have no idea how tight even a 34' is for two people full-timing with no kids... we're having to make a lot of adjustments.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
80% rule

maurice, most interesting..according to a spec sheet in trailer life, my e-350 turbo with a 3.55 rear end will tow 9500 lbs. using your rule nixs the 31ft classic(8300lbs), 28ft safari s/o (9300lbs!!) i was tinkin' bout'. 80% of 9500=7600lbs. guess i have to start all over again....i was gonna buy that classic...but safety is impotent...it looks like a 28ft safari (7300lbs) now....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The 80% rule isn't mine. Fuel your van up, load it with people and cargo the way it will tow, and take it to the scales. Subtract the actual truck weight from the GVWR and GCWR, and then you'll know what you have to work with.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:49 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Interesting thread. My Sierra is rated for load carring capacity assuming 6 - 150 pound passengers because it has six seat belts. At least that's what the factory says.

It would be a bad thing to buy a truck and find it's too heavy to pull the load.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:04 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Limits

GVWR and GCWR are hard imits regardless of whether the vehicle contains people or gold ingots. The tow rating may assume some number of passengers, but for GVWR and GCWR, contents are immaterial.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-26-2003, 05:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
What John said is correct. The GVWR is the maximum the vehicle can weigh, period.

You may have a slide-in camper max weight specification that's calculated as GVWR minus curb weight of truck, minus weight of options, minus weight of a tank of fuel, minus 150 lbs X number of seatbelts. "Payload" ratings don't included all seating positions.

The GCWR is the maximum the wet and loaded truck AND the wet and loaded trailer can weigh.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:38 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

That's what I was refering to the load carring capability in the bed. It's primarly for campers, placarded in the glove box on GMC pickup trucks. I was unable to get that figure for a new order vehicle. No question about the various ratings being fixed. It's hard to get the rating for load in the bed until you buy the vehicle. At least it was for me. I agree with your point, but you can't weigh the vehicle until you get it.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Ford has spec books for truck body builders that, amongst many other things, list the front axle and total weight of every model, and most every option you can get on them. I'd bet GM has something similar.

It's also possible to test drive a model similar to the one you'd like to order, and make a trip to the scales part of the test drive. You can estimate how much more it would weigh with a full tank, and people and cargo. If you want, you can also make measurements from an axle center, to calculate how much each addition will add to the axle weights.

Hope this helps,