Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Towing 2011 Classic 34 With Chev Duramax

Hi folks... wanted to know how you are enjoying towing a 34' tri-axle with a 3/4 ton Duramax crew / extended cab 4x4?

Also, we have owned a TT in the past that I equipped with the Hensley Arrow.

Haven't towed an AS as yet but is the Arrow a good investment for towing a 34'?

Appreciate your feedback!

Tony
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
RvDoctor .....

I am sure you will get lots of opinions posted. I can share with you that my wife and I took a five week trip last year pulling our 30' Classic with our Chevy Duramax and it performed great. I am very pleased.

I also have a Hensley hitch and once I figured out the "secret" about unhitching and hitching it was quite easy to use. I pulled the trailer 5500 miles and between the truck and the hitch it really was effortless and easy. I know there are some members who have had good luck with the ProPride hitch as well. Regardless of the manufacturer the principles are the same and when you are towing with gusty side winds that hitch is worth it.

I am very happy with my set up.
TSchleff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
From all the comments I have seen regarding a Hensley and the propride I would say you can't go wrong. I have a Hensley but never towed with another setup so I can't comment on whether it is better or not; just that it works flawlessly for me.
But since you've used one before you already know that.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
I can't comment on the Hensley or Propride since I've not used either. Prior to the AS we towed a 27' fifth wheel. When we bought our AS the dealer did not have Hensley in stock so we bought a Blue Ox. We've towed from Mich to AL and from AL to Yellowstone. I've not had any problems towing our Classic 31. Wyoming has a lot of cross winds and the AS towed almost as easily as the fifth wheel under similar conditions. We towed both trailers with the same F250 Powerstroke Crew Cab.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I can't speak for the Duramax, but I am in the process of shopping for one right now.

As to the Hensley, I can attest that it works as advertised. We have pulled Lucy (2005 Safari 25FB - 7400#) 70,000 miles without the slightest sway or anxious moment of any kind. The performance has been worth the expense.

That being said, you should also take a serious look at the ProPride Hitch. From what I have read, it performs like a Hensley. It is only slightly less expensive, but has a big advantage. The ProPride has a height-adjustable hitch bar that also angles for hook-up. There is a Propride thread here on the Forums that you should take a look at.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
My dad has 2 duramax trucks, both crew cab duallys, both with the allison transmission.

one is an 03, the other an 08.

He also has a 34' toy hauler 5th wheel he pulls with it.

The truck does fine, but it gets about 8mpg with the big RV on the back, I suspect you would do signifigantly better with an airstream in tow.

On that note a good friend of mine has a Cummins 24 valve, it is getting 12-14 mpg with the same size 5th wheel.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
So far 46500 miles with a '06 Chevy towing a tri axle 34. Never an issue with the combo. The diesel has more than enough power We have a airsafe and a reese round bar hitch with 600 lb bars, have not felt a need for anything else. Rock steady and smooth with the long wheelbase truck. Reccomend the crew cab, we had a '01 club cab and a '03 quad and it was just not at all as convenient. the extra access and inside storage make a big difference for the inevitable passengers and other season uses.
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Doctor View Post
Hi folks... wanted to know how you are enjoying towing a 34' tri-axle with a 3/4 ton Duramax crew / extended cab 4x4?

Also, we have owned a TT in the past that I equipped with the Hensley Arrow.

Haven't towed an AS as yet but is the Arrow a good investment for towing a 34'?

Appreciate your feedback!

Tony
Tony,

Interesting screen name! Are you a real Doctor, a real RV Doctor (as in RV Tech), did you play one on TV or did you stay in a Holiday Inn last night???
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Just call me Francis Marion, wading into this swamp full of Hensley-toting Red Coats. Experts advised me that with a 31-foot Airstream and a ¾-ton truck, a Hensley or ProPride wasn’t necessary for safe and controlled towing. In my first year of towing 10,000 miles through very mountainous terrain, and some swamps, I haven’t experienced any handling issues, despite 40 MPH crosswinds, and driving rains. So I’d say my dealer’s advice was good. A good match of truck and trailer with a good hitch, set up correctly, is a safe and sound way of towing, as witnessed by millions of miles traveled by thousands of owners over many decades.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
Just call me Francis Marion, wading into this swamp full of Hensley-toting Red Coats. Experts advised me that with a 31-foot Airstream and a ¾-ton truck, a Hensley or ProPride wasn’t necessary for safe and controlled towing. In my first year of towing 10,000 miles through very mountainous terrain, and some swamps, I haven’t experienced any handling issues, despite 40 MPH crosswinds, and driving rains. So I’d say my dealer’s advice was good. A good match of truck and trailer with a good hitch, set up correctly, is a safe and sound way of towing, as witnessed by millions of miles traveled by thousands of owners over many decades.
Here here! You said it better than me and I totally agree.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic S/O
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We got back in early February from our maiden voyage. 07.5 LMM Duramax crew cab long bed pulling a 30' classic with the heavy slide out for just about 5000 miles. We've got a Reese Dual Cam that the dealer setup - they advised that the HAHA or PP was not necessary with our rig.

We drove all sorts of terrain in all sorts of weather and the towing was flawless. From mountains to 40 MPH crosswinds, most the time we hardly knew it was back there. Trailer loaded to 9000 lbs. and truck full of gear we averaged 13 MPG, hand calculated. Would like to get a wee bit more mpg, but the modern emissions controls (DPF) seem to have a negative impact in this regard.

-DK
Old 03-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #12
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
My dealer advised me that an Airstream wasn't necessary for camping shelter. He said that many people sleep in tents and get plenty of shelter. He also tried to tell me that a box trailer was the same thing as an Airstream. Of course, he doesn't sell Airstreams or has he ever used one.

Just something to consider when researching what you want to use to connect your tow vehicle to your trailer. My examples are the exact same thought process, in a very similar context, that is used with tow vehicle to trailer connections. I find it an interesting study in thinking.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
My dealer advised me that an Airstream wasn't necessary for camping shelter. He said that many people sleep in tents and get plenty of shelter. He also tried to tell me that a box trailer was the same thing as an Airstream. Of course, he doesn't sell Airstreams or has he ever used one.

Just something to consider when researching what you want to use to connect your tow vehicle to your trailer. My examples are the exact same thought process, in a very similar context, that is used with tow vehicle to trailer connections. I find it an interesting study in thinking.

X2

Bias-ply tires and drum brakes are adequate for safety (following the line above), as are carburetors and points ignition for reliability. If one wants inferior equipment one is welcome to it. Go for the hand-cranked windshield wipers, too.

Sway-resisting and sway-eliminating hitches are worlds apart.

To my chagrin the ProPride came out only a few months after I bought the H/A. The PP is, IMO, the better choice for the tilt-adjusting head: better leverage on the TV when needed (as mine does). There are other improvements but that one alone makes it worthwhile.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Just some info about the Chevy Duramax.

Chevy Silverado HD2HD | Pickup Truck Comparison | Chevrolet.com
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote