Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Tow Vehicle Woes

OK, ordering my 2015 FC 25 Twin in two weeks. Own a 2015 Tahoe V-8 with max towing package. Folks on here are close to convincing me that I have the wrong (underpowered) TV.
I want assurances that this rig configuration will work safely and efficiently. Should I keep what I have OR trade to a pickup (which I hate). If trade, what recommendations do you have for me ( brand, model and power plant)?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Your Tahoe with max towing, and a decent weight distribution hitch, should be perfectly capable of towing your new FC safely, IMHO. I have the 5.3 engine in my 2014 Sierra, and have been very happy with it's power and fuel economy.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Go to Can-Am RV Centre | #1 Airstream Dealer in Customer Satisfaction Worldwide | Your Full-Service RV Dealer and click on towing. You will be amazed.
You could also post your question to Andy Thomson at that same site.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
You are going to be fine with the 2015 Tahoe. You have plenty of torque (383 ft.lbs.) to move a 25 foot Airstream up just about any hill.

Just make sure you use a weight distributing/anti sway hitch that is properly set up. Get an expert to help you with this in person with your TV and AS, don't try and do it yourself or rely solely on advice you get here or anywhere else online.

Also, keep an eye on your hitch weight in relationship to the total cargo capacity of the Tahoe. Depending on the specific model and options, your total cargo capacity is about 1,700 lbs. The hitch weight on the trailer is about 835 lbs leaving you with about 865 lbs. for driver, passenger and cargo in the Tahoe. You might be able to increase that a bit with some beefier tires on the Tahoe (again, consult an expert such as Andy Thompson at CanAM for this.)

I would not trade in the Tahoe right now. Get it set up properly, mind your cargo capacity and try it for awhile. I would not go up or down Tioga Pass on my first trip, but with some real world experience you will know whether or not the Tahoe will work for you.

Some people on this forum will insist that you need a 3/4 ton pickup to tow a 25 foot AS, but I know people who use Explorers, Jeep Grand Cherokees and the like so just take it easy the first few times out and get used to the rig.

Have fun!!!

Old 10-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Your tow vehicle is fine. The hitch and it's setup is the tricky part. As has been stated, get someone experienced in your area to help with the setup, and do NOT trust the dealer to get it right, they just want your money and you off the lot.

Contact a WBCCI unit in your area, and I'm sure they will have a member that is experienced and more than willing to help you.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Your Tahoe is going to do a great job for you. Like other's have said, get the right WD hitch and get it set up properly. Think about passengers and cargo and plan your loading to suit the two vehicles' capacities.
When you get the trailer go to the Cat Scale and weigh the whole rig LOADED TO CAMP, with weight distribution, then without. Then weigh tow vehicle separately. This will give you all the weight information you need to know.
It's inexpensive, $10 for the first weight, then $2 for as many additional weighs as you want during the next 24 hours. So, if you need to tweak the hitch setup or move weight from the TV into the trailer to adjust tongue weight, allow time for a couple extra weighs while you are there.
While you are waiting for your trailer, it is a good time to search in this forum about how to weigh.
And, I say it's best to install your hitch yourself. This way you will be educated in how it works and know that it is installed correctly. Read the instructions, read the instructions, read the instruction, and understand them before you install. Get help for the installation if you do not feel confident, but still take part in the install.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
No problem... the folks at Cam Am may have some tips to make it better but get the connection right and hit the road. Enjoy!
Old 10-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Your fine, as the posters above are recommending. Don't listen to morons.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You have the power needed to tow your Airstream but use the transmission by selecting the gear as needed for climbing/descending grades. That's what it's there for, use it and you will be fine.

The 116" wheelbase will require a skilled hitch setup or a sway elimination hitch (Hensley or ProPride) for effortless, comfortable towing under all road, traffic, and weather conditions.

It will have similar payload limits to a 1/2 truck. That means light loads in the Tahoe when the Airstream is attached.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
You will be happy with the Tahoe.

Tow vehicle and hitch threads bring out the absolute worst behavior on this forum.

I like a Reese dual cam hitch.

I don't want to sound like the old grump that walked up hill to school both directions with 2 feet of snow everyday, but I grew up on a ranch have pulled trailers most of my life.

If that is true for you, you will probably be happy with any good weight distributing hitch with some form of anti-sway device.

If you have less towing experience, a Pro Pride or Hensley may add a level of comfort.

I have never towed with one, but those that have them seem to like them.

They are certainly not required to have a safe, stable rig.

Enjoy your beautiful new trailer, and go to a rally!

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I guess he's referring to me. My apologies for bad behavior, but I also grew up in rural America helping my dad with his farm trucking business. And do have a Hensley/ProPride hitch, you will like it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #12
Builder of Diesel Jeeps

2014 28' International
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
OK, ordering my 2015 FC 25 Twin in two weeks. Own a 2015 Tahoe V-8 with max towing package. Folks on here are close to convincing me that I have the wrong (underpowered) TV.
I want assurances that this rig configuration will work safely and efficiently. Should I keep what I have OR trade to a pickup (which I hate). If trade, what recommendations do you have for me ( brand, model and power plant)?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Great TV. Capable and balanced.
westernjeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
My comments were pointed at no one in particular.

I am glad you like your setup.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:01 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
Towing is more than power to move forward. BRAKES are a more important issue, Can your tow vehicle stop itself and your trailer if the trailer brakes fail?? This does happen for the stranges reasons. Lots of people over tow their vehicles braking capacity, but not the motors ability to pull the trailer down the road. 3/4 - 1 ton vehicles have the same engines availible in 1/2 ton vehicles (diesels not included), but what a 3/4 and 1 ton have that a 1/2 ton does not is MUCH larges brakes and heavier frames. A longer wheel base helps too. That being said if you understand any possible short comings and tow approprietly your vehicle will tow safely. I personally prefer atleast 20% cushion on the capacity of my vehicle and the trailer I tow. I currently tow with a 2009 Dodge SD2500 Cummins mega cab.

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Your fine, as the posters above are recommending. Don't listen to morons.

LOL, brilliant.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Tow Vehicle Woes

More than capable for the task, brakes are more than good enough too.

Period.

Trailer brakes are pretty reliable, a simple rule regarding them is to test them every time you start driving, and if they don't work, stop and fix them.

Even so, I haven't seen a vehicle made in the last few decades that was not capable of locking every tire down under any condition. If you were to lose trailer brakes, the limiting factor is not going to be lack of brakes, but lack of traction.

In this regard your Tahoe is as good as any 3/4 ton truck and many one ton trucks.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:13 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
enjoy - no worries

Plenty of truck!

I tow a 25' FB with a old 1/2 ton. It has a 4.2L V6 which requires use of 3rd gear in the mountains.

It was a stock truck when we bought the Airstream. I put on a good brake controller then towed for a while to see how it did. Ended up adding larger diameter load E range tires. Then changed the rear axle gear to 4.30 and put on Monroe sense-matic shocks.

The rear gear change was a huge improvement.

It runs Redline synthetic lubricants.

I also tow it with a 3/4 ton truck which has a bigger motor but is definitely a bit more truck than the Airstream needs.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote