Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Charlevoix , Michigan
New TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lip View Post
I am currently looking for a replacement tow vehicle for my 2011 F150 ecoboost. It has gotten to the point where a lot of repairs have been needed for the truck which is now roughly 100.000 miles. The new F150 have a good tiow payload but the truck was noisy. Perhaps it was the aluminum body, since mine is one of the last steel bodies. I tow a 27 flying cloud and was hoping to get better mileage by switching to a diesel. My problem is that the smaller diesels from Chewy have a 9300 lb capability and the Ram 1500 are around the same. Hence I have been looking at Ram 2500 with a Cummins diesel, probably overkill but I thought its better to have more power than not enough. As far as features we do happen to like sunroofs on a nice day and havenít experienced any leaks . ( knock on wood) I also want a tow appropriate rear axel like a 3.73 , blind spot detection. I am open to hear suggestions from the Streamer community. Thanks, Mike
We just got a 2020 Ram 2500 Cummins to tow our new 2021 FC 25' FBT(ETA December). It's a crew cab Laramie 6.5' bed 4x4 with the off road pkg and most options except snow plow prep, 5th wheel prep and air suspension. (we also like sunroofs. Payload is 1999 lbs. and towing cap is 15,980 lbs. Rear axle is 3.73. I ordered this vehicle because there was no lot inventory this year to choose from and being my 'last' TV I wanted to get everything I desired including the paint which is patriot blue. I have a ARE cap on order which should be here in a week or so. The tow specific features are many: class 5 receiver, integrated trailer brake control, blind spot monitoring, 360 degree cameras w/trailer reverse guidance, power adjustable and folding mirrors. I also like the exhaust brake with the diesel. The interior fit and finish are great, heated ventilated seats, premium sound, nice center console, full size rear seats. Just have about 3000 miles on it so far and it handles well and is quiet for a diesel. I have a Blue Ox Swaypro with 1000# bars waiting for installation when the AS arrives. The diesel option does reduce payload but I like the increased mpg, torque for mountain pulling and durability of a Cummins. Happy Streaming!
Yardbird54E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:28 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Shawnee , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bye View Post
I am going to order a 2021 GMC Yukon 3.1 diesel 4WD as a tow vehicle for my 2021 Airstream 25 foot globetrotter. Gross towing recommendation from GMC is 8100# Will this be a good tow vehicle as I want to have at least a 5 passenger vehicle. Chuck
One of our club members, instead of going the truck route, got a 3/4-ton van, could it be a Ford Transit? Holds all of his stuff, he can stand up in it, even hauls a small chest freezer for keeping food for rallies. Not sure if it would be 4 x 4. We went with a 3/4 T diesel Ram 6.7 Turbo Laramie Limited--had all the safety devices, lots of cameras, and extended mirrors over previous Bighorn. Heavier and not as fuel efficient though.
Vagabonds_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Thanks all. I have had backup cameras on tow vehicles for such a long time I have stopped thinking about the possibility of getting a TV without one. Definitely easier to hitch and back up with one. I also want easier access to both the seats and the truck bed. I have to slide out to the ground and wow, if both feet don't hit the ground at the same time, the left knee will sometimes hurt fiercely. If it were possible I'd like to have a two step running board or power steps..
For the truck bed too. I am fat... and knee surgery is a not happening until there is a really good vaccine for Covid-19. If the Airstream dual step could automatically retract and deploy, I'd look at using it with lust in my heart. I

The driver's seat is getting really worn, and I notice there are replacements for sale on the internet.... anyone done this replacement? Being short I have always had the seat raised as far as possible when driving. Is this difficult to replace by yourself? Looks like it shouldn't be a major deal, but a GMC dealer quoted me over $1400 - and even with heated and air conditioned seats, that seems high. Many businesses in Florida look at gray haired females and see only dollar signs. I don't expect a discount, but I frequently explain rather pointedly that I was born at night - but not last night.

Looking underneath the seat, the wires are all plastic snap together plugs. That part shouldn't be harder than plugging in a cell phone to the charger. Screwing the new seat into the tracks?
Old 10-26-2020, 06:02 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruBen View Post
Thoughts on a F350 with a Tremor package towing a GT 27FB? Is that too much 4x4? Itís rated to tow 15,000 lbs.
If diesel it's a great truck. If 7.3 get a F250.
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:05 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Thanks all. I have had backup cameras on tow vehicles for such a long time I have stopped thinking about the possibility of getting a TV without one. Definitely easier to hitch and back up with one. I also want easier access to both the seats and the truck bed. I have to slide out to the ground and wow, if both feet don't hit the ground at the same time, the left knee will sometimes hurt fiercely. If it were possible I'd like to have a two step running board or power steps..
For the truck bed too. I am fat... and knee surgery is a not happening until there is a really good vaccine for Covid-19. If the Airstream dual step could automatically retract and deploy, I'd look at using it with lust in my heart. I

The driver's seat is getting really worn, and I notice there are replacements for sale on the internet.... anyone done this replacement? Being short I have always had the seat raised as far as possible when driving. Is this difficult to replace by yourself? Looks like it shouldn't be a major deal, but a GMC dealer quoted me over $1400 - and even with heated and air conditioned seats, that seems high. Many businesses in Florida look at gray haired females and see only dollar signs. I don't expect a discount, but I frequently explain rather pointedly that I was born at night - but not last night.

Looking underneath the seat, the wires are all plastic snap together plugs. That part shouldn't be harder than plugging in a cell phone to the charger. Screwing the new seat into the tracks?
I have replaced my share of vehicle seat covers and foam. Like any mechanical project, the more you do the better you get at it.
Iíd be surprised if it is necessary to replace the entire seat though.
With side airbags being built into seats now, body shops have to deal with this all of the time.
You might ask the parts department for a parts quote of an entire seat and then the cover and support foam.
If you know a decent body shop, ask them for a quote for replacing the cover or ask them for a shop who does it.
The last seat cover I replaced personally was on my own 2010 F-150. I think I got the cover for about $400 and spent about an hour and a half replacing it.
Hope this helps...
Old 10-26-2020, 04:38 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
I have the same exact TV as Dr Brick. Love it. Be careful when talking about Differentials with salespeople. They're clueless and always wrong. Yeah the moon roof adds wight, but passengers love looking at the sky from the back seat.
Silverminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
I have found that whenever I buy a new vehicle, I know more about it than the sales person. This isn't just true for trucks; it includes high-end luxury cars and sports cars. Most sales people simply don't know as much about their product as they should, and they will do whatever they can to sell you a vehicle.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruBen View Post
Thoughts on a F350 with a Tremor package towing a GT 27FB? Is that too much 4x4? Itís rated to tow 15,000 lbs.
I will assume this is humour....
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement EZ-Lift WD with 2 Anti Sway Bars. previous tow vehicle 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 367,000Kms 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Love our white truck, we stay after it and keeping it clean has never been an issue. Both the wife and I have had sunroofs on a bunch of past and present vehicles. Never had an issue. Love them and the view they provide.
Saluda372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Dang it's hot in here

Look carefully at how easy it is to adjust the heating and cooling.

My husband has a Honda CRV and it is really hard to adjust. You have to get into a secondary screen to do it.

On my Tundra I have a nice big knob I can feel for and turn up or down.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Big gas tank would be a requirement for a gasser.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Look carefully at how easy it is to adjust the heating and cooling.

My husband has a Honda CRV and it is really hard to adjust. You have to get into a secondary screen to do it.

On my Tundra I have a nice big knob I can feel for and turn up or down.
I am amazed at how complicated some manufacturers make basic tasks... I remember looking at the Honda Ridgeline a few years ago and reading reviews about the touchscreen only radio controls. It drives people crazy!
Old 10-29-2020, 10:21 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
I want my next tow vehicle to.be my last. I do NOT want to repeat any past mistakes. Do have a wish list to get things that should be on tow vehicles but may be hard to find. I hope newbies and anyone shopping for a tow vehicle can benefit from these thinking points.

I actually took.several Salesmanship Classes which always assert "People buy emotionally, then back up that decision with logic." I Thought I was the exception to that rule, at least on major purchases, but then reality check... a Lexus called my name. After 6 months, most "new cars" that thrilled you turn into "transportation". The Lexus is good for 9 to 12 months.

PREPARE before you go shopping and have a firm list of "deal killers" so that even if you can "save" $3000 if you take the truck that is on the lot, you will simply say, no thanks, don't want to hate it 6 months from now.

New or used, buy only where they service your brand on site. Mega-dealers may sell 10 brands, but if their GMC showroom and maintenance facility is 30 miles away, free oil changes and even same day service is a nightmare.

AVOID - White or Black tow vehicles. They look beautiful all clean and new, but an hour of towing in bug season - yuck! You CAN spend big bucks putting a ceramic coating on and you can wash it every time you drive it and wax it 6 times a year... but many many other colors are much more dirt friendly, especially mid tones like silver, metallic light blues and greens. Washing a vehicle after a long day of towing is not fun.

AVOID sun roofs. Stupidest option ever invented. If you have one it, you will remember it only when it starts to leak. They are also prone to rusting out!

Television in the back seats - fine if you transport children, but with every kid having a computer now rather obsolete.

GPS - if you buy used make sure you get the latest release on maps. This can be surprisingly expensive.
TMS - trash management system. With a built in wet/dry vacuum and a small trash can that carries a roll of.trash bags. OK, slightly silly, but could really aid in keeping.messes from.growing into monster messes. Bag up the stir sticks, candy wrappers, kleenex, pine straw and grass clippings in a minute every other day and keep it neat.
Coin sorter. Less needed with electronic toll booths, but handy. Ashtray replacement module.

MUST HAVE - Tow Mirrors that can be electrically adjusted from the driver's seat, and electrically fold flat against the side of the car. Rear view needs change between interstates and curve back roads. When not towing parallel parking and parking garages are difficult if the mirrors protrude. Backing and parking is much easier/safer when the mirrors can be pointed at the trailer's tires. This expensive option will make you happy every time you drive your tow vehicle.

What is on your list?
I guess everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Iíve never been a fan of sun roofs (convertible, yes!) but have had them on many vehicles over the years, simply because thatís what it came with. Surprisingly enough I never had one leak or rust.

I do like a white truck, for the looks and the fact that white is less affected by the effects of the sun. I do live in the sun belt. I washed my white truck two or three weeks ago, went on the road to go camping...wet roads. Still looks good. You just have to keep a coat of wax on it!
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:

The seat cover and foam for your seat should be available either at a good upholstery shop, on-line shops or dealers. I have different brand truck than you but I recently replaced the foam in the drivers seat with a higher quality than the OEM for $110. This was a DIY project which took about two hours including getting the tools out and putting them away. The seat cover was available (2009 truck) for $160 but I didn't need it. A friend of mine taught me a long time ago how to properly enter and exit a tall vehicle to keep from wearing out the door hinges and edge of the driver seat. Never hang on a door, use grab handles and always use the step on the running board so you don't mash down the edge of the drivers seat. I have a bum knee too.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:47 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:
I want my next tow vehicle to.be my last. I do NOT want to repeat any past mistakes. Do have a wish list to get things that should be on tow vehicles but may be hard to find. I hope newbies and anyone shopping for a tow vehicle can benefit from these thinking points.

I actually took.several Salesmanship Classes which always assert "People buy emotionally, then back up that decision with logic." I Thought I was the exception to that rule, at least on major purchases, but then reality check... a Lexus called my name. After 6 months, most "new cars" that thrilled you turn into "transportation". The Lexus is good for 9 to 12 months.

PREPARE before you go shopping and have a firm list of "deal killers" so that even if you can "save" $3000 if you take the truck that is on the lot, you will simply say, no thanks, don't want to hate it 6 months from now.

New or used, buy only where they service your brand on site. Mega-dealers may sell 10 brands, but if their GMC showroom and maintenance facility is 30 miles away, free oil changes and even same day service is a nightmare.

AVOID - White or Black tow vehicles. They look beautiful all clean and new, but an hour of towing in bug season - yuck! You CAN spend big bucks putting a ceramic coating on and you can wash it every time you drive it and wax it 6 times a year... but many many other colors are much more dirt friendly, especially mid tones like silver, metallic light blues and greens. Washing a vehicle after a long day of towing is not fun.

AVOID sun roofs. Stupidest option ever invented. If you have one it, you will remember it only when it starts to leak. They are also prone to rusting out!

Television in the back seats - fine if you transport children, but with every kid having a computer now rather obsolete.

GPS - if you buy used make sure you get the latest release on maps. This can be surprisingly expensive.
TMS - trash management system. With a built in wet/dry vacuum and a small trash can that carries a roll of.trash bags. OK, slightly silly, but could really aid in keeping.messes from.growing into monster messes. Bag up the stir sticks, candy wrappers, kleenex, pine straw and grass clippings in a minute every other day and keep it neat.
Coin sorter. Less needed with electronic toll booths, but handy. Ashtray replacement module.

MUST HAVE - Tow Mirrors that can be electrically adjusted from the driver's seat, and electrically fold flat against the side of the car. Rear view needs change between interstates and curve back roads. When not towing parallel parking and parking garages are difficult if the mirrors protrude. Backing and parking is much easier/safer when the mirrors can be pointed at the trailer's tires. This expensive option will make you happy every time you drive your tow vehicle.

What is on your list?
"Re: I actually took.several Salesmanship Classes which always assert "People buy emotionally, then back up that decision with logic."

This issue was explained by Festinger in his Theory of Cognitive Dissonance.

It is also which enables a salesperson to move from selling (say) Fords for many years - and then to (say) Toyotas.

In the RV area, it can be seen as 'I bought that 2000 lb vehicle to tow my 3000 lb travel trailer - and I'm no fool'.

As an Australian, I make no comment on how this enables seemingly sane people to vote for a politician who comes to mind.

Collyn
Old 11-01-2020, 03:44 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
The fundamentals

Since you have a 25' trailer, you may go with a 1/2 ton truck.
If you had a 27-28' and above, after careful study and now experience, I would definitely go with 3/4 ton truck, with a diesel engine if you plan to travel on hilly or mountain roads, not necessarily for the towing power (although that is of a certain importance), but for breaking and keeping your fully loaded rig under complete control going downhill on long, steep, curvy mountain roads. Believe me, it is the antidote to white knuckle driving.

Beyond the engine and drive train, the rest changes with every year and trim kit and there will always be newer whizbang technology coming along, which you can always add or retrofit when the time comes if necessary; you can't retrofit your engine, drive train or basic load capacity (axels, etc.).

I am happy as a lark and plan to keep my truck for 20 years or more.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:59 AM   #37

2010 23' Flying Cloud
Monterey , California
Dodge Durango is ALMOST our perfect Towing Beast

Dodge has come so close to creating the perfect towing beast in their Durango line up. Our Citadel has the juice to easily tow our 23 foot Flying Cloud with an 8 cylinder hemi, while remaining perfectly serviceable as an everyday vehicle using only the 4, 6 or 8 cylinders necessary. As a mid-size SUV, it navigates the small streets and microscopic parking spaces of our home town and itís low profile means I donít need a ladder to climb in or out. Meanwhile, the back easily folds to fit our generator, blow up kayak, jogger for our 16 year old pug and ample tools with room to spare while converting to seat seven when we are home.

While considering moving up to a 28 foot Flying Cloud, Dodge has a competent horsepower option in their SRT...or of course you could go ridiculous with the limited addition Hellcat.

For some reason, Dodge refuses to commit to towing by NOT offering extending mirrors. Clip on aftermarket mirrors are not made, so you have to rely on the elastic strap ons. Come on Dodge!!!
Twinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Manchester , New Hampshire
Adaptive Cruise Control

Adaptive Cruise Control is the one feature I donít have but wish I had. The heel of my foot can start to hurt on a long day of driving. It totally unnecessary but would be nice to have.
Steven62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:26 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven62 View Post
Adaptive Cruise Control is the one feature I donít have but wish I had. The heel of my foot can start to hurt on a long day of driving. It totally unnecessary but would be nice to have.
I will tow with cruise on, But I don't think I would use adaptive cruise with a 30 ft
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement EZ-Lift WD with 2 Anti Sway Bars. previous tow vehicle 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 367,000Kms 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:57 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraclassic View Post
I will tow with cruise on, But I don't think I would use adaptive cruise with a 30 ft
Ultraclassic, any particular reason why you wouldn’t use the adaptive cruise with a 30’?

I’ve used it for almost 10K miles with our 27’ GT (really 28’) and found it superior to standard cruise because it constantly maintains the gap between vehicles in front of me. This makes for a safer, more comfortable driving experience.

Plus, you get the advantage or autonomous braking in the event it detects a change in the vehicle slowing/stopping in front of you. It works just like you pressed on the brake pedal so trailer brakes and lights all work like normal. At 65 MPH that’s 95 feet in one second which is huge when towing...

Give it a try and you’ll see how it really helps.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote