Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richfield , Ohio
There is no question about Michelin, Bridgestone, and Firestone all making very good tires but you should check out Cooper tires before making a decision. Cooper tires are an AMERICAN owned company based in Findlay, Ohio which is about 60 miles from the mothership. The tires are also made in the USA. When I was ready for new tires on my tv, I looked at all the major brands and compared all the specs. Based on the info I found, I purchased Cooper's. Also the best part was the price, they were much lower in cost than any other major brand. I deliver material to the Cooper plant now, did not when I purchased the tires, and I asked how their tires can cost so much less than the other brands. The answer was "We do not support any major racing events or series and we spend very little on advertising"
Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Another vote for the Michelin LTX tires - but with one caveat --- make sure you rotate them every 6,000 miles. My GMC dually will eat front tires. I've gone through 3 sets of fronts, while never rotating. Finally, at around 80,000 plus miles on the duallies, I installed a whole new set of Michelin LTX tires and, ever since, I've been rotating faithfully at 6,000 miles. The last time around I also re-balanced as I could feel a slight vibration from the front tires. I can still see a slight irregular wear pattern on the fronts before rotating - but hopefully I'll be able to keep the overall wear fairly consistant. All of the alignment parameters have been checked more than once.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Cracker, I had a truck that would not stay aligned until I took it to another place. Then it was fine. Some trucks are hard to do and need better mechanics.

You might try Centramatics on the truck.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
I tow with a 1500 Silverado 2wd crew cab. The odometer is at 56,000 miles on the original tires (Goodyear Eagles). I'm headed to replace them next week and will replace with Goodyear Eagles . Maybe not as many miles as Michelin but not as expensive.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #25
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yes, Gene, I know that is the rule, but I have always carried 65 PSI in the front tires, and either 75 or 80 PSI in the rear tires. ( the manufacturer calls for 60/72) Don't know the width, but I'm thinking the wheels may be a tad too wide the the tire (265/70)
I go max pressure all the way around? 80 PSI.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #26

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I currently HAVE the Michelin LTX tires - I haven't rotated them as I should have and the back ones are seriously worn. Shame on me. The front ones could probably do another 10-20K except that the little old lady who recently decided to share a turn lane with my truck got up close and person with the front tire's sidewall. Worse than just a scuff but I missed it on inspection. Also knocked it a bit out of alignment too. So I'm just gonna replace all four...

and set reminders to have the tires ROTATED.

Paula
make sure nothing is bent. I had to have to replace my front left after the police cruiser hit me. I could see chord.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #27

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
The LTX is a good road tire for a pickup. I went a little more agressive due to mud and snow.