Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2003, 07:04 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You just reminded me, I still have to submit my $200 "donation" to Racince County.

15 over they will suspend your license? I know I'm an out of stater, but I was going 16mph over and just got real nice propaganda about how they care, blah, blah, blah and pay speeding tax of $200.

BTW, the cop that yanked me said,"Well you in Illinois have tolls, that's why our fines hare higer, because we don't have tolls."

At any rate here in Illinois, for regular cars, it's 30 mph and your are a felony speeder.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 07:16 AM   #22
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
don't want to be hasseled by the man...

eric

the 15 over rules apply to c.d.l. license holders only, you regulars can go faster.

and you don't need to provide urine samples either!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 07:20 AM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I see, so even if you are driving your regular car, but have the CDL endorsement, grab your ankles... I mis read your post.

OUCH! Glad I don't have a CDL.

BTW, at that tax level, I think they want blood, not urine.

No wonder you drive a bike, easier to make your getaway!

Eric
Old 05-12-2003, 04:10 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Silvertwinkie

On the '96, I have the tow package and believe it or not, it came with 2.93s. I am looking to (hopefully soon) get my PCM reprogrammed at pcmforless.com after I get the 3.73s installed.

Interesting. I have 3.23 and it makes a big difference. On my truck, I have 4.10 and it makes a *huge* difference, in conjuction with that 7.5L engine. So much torque instantly trown at the back wheels. I don't think I ever floored either vehicle.

I am not a gear expert but I think these low gears allow you higher RPMS, being easier on transmission as the end result.

With 3.73, I don't think it is going to be a great daily driver, but then I have no personal experience with it. I suppose you should expect a drop in mileage. I notice mpg difference vs. stock 2.73 rear end, probably 1 or 2 mpg difference.

jcanavera,

Tthere is no strong correlation (well, there is correlation but it is not a causative relationship) between speed and safety per se. The safest speed is the general speed of traffic. These speed limits we have are a result of 70's gas crises. In WWII, for example, there was a nation wide speed limit of 45 mph to conserve fuel. You get way better mpg at these speeds.

I drive real slow (usually under the speed limit) but not because it has anyting to do with safety, but because I want to get the best mpg and it works.
Funny, because after driving my truck for a while, I tend to drive slower with everything else, too. The best mileage you get is right after your tranny shifts into 4th (if you have one).
Old 05-12-2003, 06:23 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I was thinking of getting the 3.42s, but I also have the Impala SS 17" rims I am going to install. The larger the diameter, the more it lowers the RPM. I have ridden in an SS with the same 3.73s I'd like to get and the manners seem reasonable. Also heard the ATR quads on the same car. Nice combo!

The larger the gear the faster the RPM. The smaller tire also increases RPM. Adding larger gears and larger tires help keep it within reason. The lower gears as they are with my current 15" create a low RPM, but the 2.93 are crap for towing and crap for having a little fun around town.

The lowest I would consider would be the 3.42s, however, I've talked with several folks and they tell me the manners (when not towing) are pretty close. I do expect a few MPG loss (esp when towing) but on the hwy, with overdrive, I like you don't think it will be more than one or two at the worst. If I went with the 3.42s, I'd be a bunch closer to the 1mpg loss, but when I consider the trucks that have 4.10 gears and what mpg they get with the 15 or 16" tires, I still consider my MPG a gift with 3.73s and 17" rims!

BTW IPSO, I just bought the ATR quads for mine this evening. 2.5" mandrel bent. The description says:

Dual 2½" stainless steel exhaust system for 1994-96 Impala SS!

NOTHING FLOWS BETTER!* Mandrel bent for smooth, full diameter bends throughout.* Big 2½" T304 stainless tubing...The Best!* Big 'H' Pipe for low end torque and sound, yet quiet enough to still hear the tires sing.*

Pit BullTM mufflers flow within 99.99% of a straight pipe!* Soft 600" Big Block sound at wide-open-throttle.* 4 stainless mufflers +9 stainless steel clamps.*

Direct bolt-on replacement.

I also just put on some Global West rear lower control arms....a major differnce. The rear end seems a bit more civilized and responsive. I pick them up for $160.00. Compared to stock it is a night and day difference. Much more control due to the old ones flexing so much because of the cheesy bushings GM built into it.

I always enjoy our tow/car chats!

Eric
Old 05-12-2003, 06:29 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

what transmisssion you got?....it could become the weakest link...
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 06:34 PM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
4L60E. Most on the car forums, including myself find it to be a fairly good trans. So far my exp with it has been excellent.

What do you think of the 4L60E?

Eric
Old 05-12-2003, 06:36 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
GM must think the 4L60E is a tough enough transmission, if they put it behind a 6.0 L V8 in the H2 Hummer
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 06:41 PM   #29
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think it's got some guts. However, if you take the car beyond the 400hp range, it's time for either some mechanical upgrades or a straight swap to a different trans.

The 4L60E is found on several GM trucks. I know the 2000 Silverado had it on a few different engines. I shamelessly added the deeper trans pan from the GM parts bin to my 4L60E to get a few more quarts of fluid to make it harder to flash heat.

Eric
Old 05-12-2003, 07:01 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

What I think isn't important.....what works consistantly is what is important...any comparison between 4L60's must include any optional parts/assemblies that are added on to fit the application....E's are known for being the hot item for a lot of vehs-because of adaptability....not necessarly being bullet proof....watch for the weakest link...generally speaking-OVERHEATING- that is quick death ot the transmission....geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:24 PM   #31

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
jcanavera,

Tthere is no strong correlation (well, there is correlation but it is not a causative relationship) between speed and safety per se. The safest speed is the general speed of traffic.
I don't believe an 18 wheeler doing 80 mph is safe. Especially when you get passed by a convoy of 6 all doing the same speed. There just comes a point where you have to back off because its just not safe to stay up with this type of crowd.

I live near I44 and once it turns wet it becomes common fare to end up with a jack knifed or overturned 18 wheeler. Maybe the 4 wheelers are the cause but when you are driving a rig as big, you have to consider that you aren't going to be the best handling vehicle if you need to make a sudden move. That's a lot why I normally stay around 60 when towing.

AAA of Missouri does an annual survey of its membership and usually within the top 4 items of concern is the speed of the 18 wheelers on Missouri Interstates.

Bottom line if you get involved with an 18 wheeler in some type of accident, you lose.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote