Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Elmsford , New York
Tow vehicle for Airstream travel trailer

As a complete novice, newbe is an understatement, I am lost about what I will require to safely tow a new Airstream in my upcoming retirement. I am not comfortable driving a truck -- no way will I consider that alternative driving alone throughout the country; I have sought out info in the 2012 Trailer Towing Guide and learned that the Toyota Land Cruiser has a towing capacity of 8,000 lbs. Although not far removed from being a truck, it is a little more comfortable to drive. Can anyone suggest which is the largest model 2013 Airstream Travel trailers I can buy to match with an SUV (so far the Land Cruiser has the largest towing capacity I could find and has a trailer towing package available)?

I realize the Airstream weight cannot equal maximum towing weight of the SUV. I have a feeling my plans to travel the USA are all but caput, with a safe and manageable set up (including the best trailer hitch for the weight, towing vehicle and Airstream trailer). I need a decent size model with all amenities, including bath, kitchen, A/C, solar charging and inverter, etc. The Classic Ltd. are not possible due to weight, but I can have a smaller unit customized, if not by Airstream, elsewhere. Any advice would be much appreciated. Anyone believes that towing with an SUV is not wise, no matter the size?

Thank you.
RussH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I'm towing a 27FB with a SUV, a Ford Expedition. However I gather from your note you seem a bit unconfortable with a larger rig. I suggest sticking to the 19', 20', or 23FB. The rest of the trailers have heavy hitch weights that start to need higher capacity tow vehicles.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
We use an Infiniti QX56 2006 towing a 25 Classic. The new QX's I believe have a towing capacity of 8,500 lbs. This combination has been very good for us with no problems. Power is very good, but gas milage sucks, averaging about 10 mpg I do have a lead foot though.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think a 25' Airstream, a Propride hitch, and a newly-announced 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with diesel engine and eight-speed auto transmission would be a dream setup for you, and probably many retirees like us.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
There are many Mid sized vehicles including SUV's that will habdle the Airstream that you desire. Realize the tow rating is not an accurate performance indicator and does not always relate to towing prowess.

Research the forums for much info.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Airstream Forums - View Profile: Andrew T

Talk to Andy Thomson at Can-Am RV in London, Ontario.

He can set you up with a custom hitch for a Chrysler 300 or other fullsize sedan of your choice and you can pull any Airstream you want.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Actually, the tow rating is probably the least important factor. Hitch weight rating and vehicle payload limits are almost always are reached prior to tow rating.

Bottom line: Stick to the smaller trailers (23 and under). Their lighter weight allows a greater variety of tow vehicle options. The medium trailers (25 & 27's) can be towed by some of the largest SUV's, but larger trailers start needing full size trucks.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Elmsford , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I'm towing a 27FB with a SUV, a Ford Expedition. However I gather from your note you seem a bit unconfortable with a larger rig. I suggest sticking to the 19', 20', or 23FB. The rest of the trailers have heavy hitch weights that start to need higher capacity tow vehicles.
I was told by the Airstream a dealer in my area that the classic limited 27 FB can be towed by a large SUV such as the Land Cruiser or Lincoln navigator. If true, that is good news.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Elmsford , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
We use an Infiniti QX56 2006 towing a 25 Classic. The new QX's I believe have a towing capacity of 8,500 lbs. This combination has been very good for us with no problems. Power is very good, but gas milage sucks, averaging about 10 mpg I do have a lead foot though.
The local Airstream dealer in the area advised that the Classic Limited 27 FB can be towed with a large SUV such as a Land Cruiser or Lincoln navigator both of which have towing packages available. If true, that is really good news. I think I might be able to handle that.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Elmsford , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Actually, the tow rating is probably the least important factor. Hitch weight rating and vehicle payload limits are almost always are reached prior to tow rating.

Bottom line: Stick to the smaller trailers (23 and under). Their lighter weight allows a greater variety of tow vehicle options. The medium trailers (25 & 27's) can be towed by some of the largest SUV's, but larger trailers start needing full size trucks.
The local airstream dealer has advised that the Classic Limited 27 FB can be towed with a large SUV, such as the Land Cruiser or Lincoln navigator, both of which have special tow packages available. If true that is really good news. I think I could handle that.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Payload and hitch weight are important. Our 2007 Durango has more load capacity than many Dodge Ram 1500 trucks.

We have been happy with the performance of our Durango - it has a 5.7 Hemi and a heavy duty tow package. We have used it for the last 6 years with our 2006 25 Safari. We have been Rving for the last 20 years and the Durango has been the best (light truck) tow vehicle we have ever had.

We have purchased a new trailer - a 2013 27 Classic. We plan on using our 2007 Durango for another 5 years or so. It is rated at 8950 lbs towing capacity and 900 lb hitch weight with a WD hitch. The 2007 is the last of the Durangos on a truck frame. The Durango weighs in at 4619 lbs and has a GVW OF 6399 lbs. And a max payload of 1780 lbs.

The New diesel Jeep may be able to pull a mid sized Airstream, but I am not sure if payload or hitch weight would be adequate.

I am very interested in the new Dodge 1500 diesel and believe it could be properly configured to safely do the job.

I don't want to stir things up here but the Ontario crowd that thinks it is safe to pull an Airstream with a passenger car, van or small SUV with a 3000 - 5000 capacity are putting the lives of others at risk.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhigley View Post
The local airstream dealer has advised that the Classic Limited 27 FB can be towed with a large SUV, such as the Land Cruiser or Lincoln navigator, both of which have special tow packages available. If true that is really good news. I think I could handle that.
The land cruiser would work, the navigator would be another good choice. The Chevy Suburban has a 2500 configuration that is an option as well.

Good luck hunting and hope to see you down the road.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
rhigley,

This is a nightmare topic if you're new to it and you'll get a ton of conflicting views. It is perfectly feasible to tow pretty much any Airstream with an SUV or mid-range sedan, so long as it's set up properly. Have a look at the videos on the following site, just to prove that your choice of tow vehicle is wider than you think.

Can-Am RV Centre | #1 Airstream Dealer in Customer Satisfaction Worldwide | Your Full-Service RV Dealer

Call Andy at Can Am and he'll be happy to provide you with professional advice.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhigley View Post
As a complete novice, newbe is an understatement, I am lost about what I will require to safely tow a new Airstream in my upcoming retirement. I am not comfortable driving a truck -- no way will I consider that alternative driving alone throughout the country; I have sought out info in the 2012 Trailer Towing Guide and learned that the Toyota Land Cruiser has a towing capacity of 8,000 lbs. Although not far removed from being a truck, it is a little more comfortable to drive. Can anyone suggest which is the largest model 2013 Airstream Travel trailers I can buy to match with an SUV (so far the Land Cruiser has the largest towing capacity I could find and has a trailer towing package available)?

I realize the Airstream weight cannot equal maximum towing weight of the SUV. I have a feeling my plans to travel the USA are all but caput, with a safe and manageable set up (including the best trailer hitch for the weight, towing vehicle and Airstream trailer). I need a decent size model with all amenities, including bath, kitchen, A/C, solar charging and inverter, etc. The Classic Ltd. are not possible due to weight, but I can have a smaller unit customized, if not by Airstream, elsewhere. Any advice would be much appreciated. Anyone believes that towing with an SUV is not wise, no matter the size?

Thank you.
Reading the post I kind of got mixed signals on what you want or feel you need in the total package. Are you saying your not 'comfortable" with a truck based on ride quality or size? If ride quality ok, if your intimidated a little by the size you won't notice much difference with the Navigator, a std navigator with a 27FB is over 46 feet long when you figure in a hitch and the L model is pushing 48 feet. Also you're looking at rig that is right about 13,000 lbs empty weight before you pack anything for the trip.

Also your comment about needing all the amenities, bath, kitchen, A/C solar and inverter, these are either standard or optional on pretty much all Airstreams regardless of the series. Your don't need large and classic for those.

I'm not being critical just pointing out a couple things you may or may not have all ready considered.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

My Expedition has a tongue weight rating of 890 lbs. This is higher than most other vehicles (except most trucks) yet is just barely enough for my 27FB. According to Airstream the 27FB tongue weight is 770 lbs. Add to that the Andersen weight distribution hitch of 60 lbs and I'm getting uncomfortably close to the upper limit. I'm well under tow vehicle payload and way way under its towing capacity.

I think this hitch tongue weight could well be the most overlooked and most likely to be overloaded item.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Why not just get comfortable driving a truck?
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Are the 2013 Ford Explorer's able to tow a 25' International 2007?
jjboone101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

No on the 2013 Explorer towing 2007 25 footer. It only has a class 3 hitch. Max 5,000 lb towing, 500 lb hitch weight. It might just rip the hitch right of the rear of Explorer.

This said, there are some who subscribe to this guy in Canada who, by making frame modifications, profess's to use economy cars and minivans to pull 30 footers. There is a link in an earlier post in this thread. Though some will question the logic and travelling safety of such arrangements.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
rhigley,

This is a nightmare topic if you're new to it and you'll get a ton of conflicting views. It is perfectly feasible to tow pretty much any Airstream with an SUV or mid-range sedan, so long as it's set up properly. Have a look at the videos on the following site, just to prove that your choice of tow vehicle is wider than you think.

Can-Am RV Centre | #1 Airstream Dealer in Customer Satisfaction Worldwide | Your Full-Service RV Dealer

Call Andy at Can Am and he'll be happy to provide you with professional advice.
Mid-Range sedan? Camry, Accord, Altima???
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Mid-Range sedan? Camry, Accord, Altima???
Well, I've seen Jettas and Golfs and tow vehicles, even a mini!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote