Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by loislane View Post
Hi All - so today I put a deposit down on a 23ft FB specifically because I can tow it with my current tow vehicle ( I own a 19ft 2008 Int'l with a 2006 4Runner v8 TV). I think I really want a 25 ft eventually but can't get over moving into a larger tow vehicle. This thread is helping me rethink that. I LOVE the 4Runner though - so I'm out here trying to decide if I should get my deposit back or not.
You might want to get some professional assistance with setting the 4Runner up, though; you can't just hang a trailer on the back of these things without doing some modification work. Have a chat with Can Am, they'll put you on the right track.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by A/S Squared View Post
I was just reading an article in the latest Airstream Life magazine written by Andy Thomson with Can-Am RV. He talked about towing a 30' A/S with a Taurus SHO. I was wondering how a car like this with a 1,000 lb. tow rating could safely tow a trailer weighing in at approx. 7-8,000 lbs? I went over the Siskyou mountains in 2006 with my '07 30' Classic. My TV was a '05 GMC 2500HD diesel. It was over 100 degrees outside and my tranny temp gauge was reading 210. How well would that Taurus tranny survive under conditions like that not to mention the brakes themselves trying to hold back all that weight going downhill?
Forgot to say that Andy's piece was to demonstrate how little raw power is actually needed to keep an Airstream rolling, given it's superior towing characteristics. It made fascinating reading and (might) make you realise that big HP, or even torque, numbers are not the be all and end all.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMSHIP View Post
Yes but this under sized vehicle issue still makes the hair on the back of neck stand up.
"Under sized" is subjective, it depends on your needs. As Doug says, choose your Airstream, then the tow vehicle that best suits your own requirements for solo driving and how your towing needs.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #44
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Use a DinkyToyTow'r..... if your what else matters.

WADR Toad I know dinky when I see it.

TETO....

ASLife
Great features:

Bob
Old 03-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Hey RussH, get all the advice you can as you are doing but one thing not mentioned so far and a factor I had not considered until after we made our purchase are the tires on the tow vehicle. Make sure those tires can handle the extra load, both front and rear as your equalizer hitch will put weight on the front as well as rear. If you order a tow vehicle with a tow package sometimes even the manufacturers don't put the correct tire on it, ie the Ford 150 EcoBoost Platinum with tow package. Again an expensive experience for us.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Hey RussH, get all the advice you can as you are doing but one thing not mentioned so far and a factor I had not considered until after we made our purchase are the tires on the tow vehicle. Make sure those tires can handle the extra load, both front and rear as your equalizer hitch will put weight on the front as well as rear. If you order a tow vehicle with a tow package sometimes even the manufacturers don't put the correct tire on it, ie the Ford 150 EcoBoost Platinum with tow package. Again an expensive experience for us.
Ditto!

By the way, what tires did you go to on your Platinum?
Just curious,
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

Elmsford , New York
No, but not far away, in New Jersey.
RussH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #48
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussH View Post
No, but not far away, in New Jersey.
I did the google and found this.

The only map that came up showed an empty field next to the Airport.

Our selling dealer closed in 2004 so if there's one there it's about time.

Bob
Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Minden , Nevada
I'm sure on flat terrain a Taurus SHO could tow a 30' AS. But I would like to see how long a vehicle like that would last towing under high outside temps pulling a trailer up a mountain pass.BTW the Ford website states that the 2013 SHO with the 3.5 V6 Ecoboost engine is not rated to tow a trailer.
A/S Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by A/S Squared View Post
I'm sure on flat terrain a Taurus SHO could tow a 30' AS. But I would like to see how long a vehicle like that would last towing under high outside temps pulling a trailer up a mountain pass.BTW the Ford website states that the 2013 SHO with the 3.5 V6 Ecoboost engine is not rated to tow a trailer.
This is not an endorsement, just a question, isn't that the same engine used in the Ecoboost pickup, but in a lighter but stiffer body? Should hold up pretty well.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
BrudeB, a very long and involved story with many calls to Ford, Ford Headquarters et al. But simply, we sold the F150 Platinum to our neighbor for exactly what we paid for it a year earlier and we purchased an F250 Diesel. I've worked with the dealership for years both personal and business and they allowed me to "trade" the truck in to them, they did all the paperwork and sold it to our neighbor for what he and I agreed to plus $250 for all the paperwork and hassle.

The F250 solved the tire issue as well as the payload issue and more than enough to move a 30' AS Flying Cloud anyplace we decide to wander.

Bud
Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
I have a quick question about towing with, lets say, Taurus. If this vehicle is modified for towing and you're in an accident while towing, will your insurance company pay if you are towing something over the manufacturers recommended limit?? Anyone had this experience?
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsgone View Post
I have a quick question about towing with, lets say, Taurus. If this vehicle is modified for towing and you're in an accident while towing, will your insurance company pay if you are towing something over the manufacturers recommended limit?? Anyone had this experience?
Andi
I've not heard of anyone having such issues, and I speak as one who uses one of these modified tow vehicles. I feel sure that were there any problems then we'd hear about them.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The folks recommending these smaller vehicles that may in fact be overloaded in terms of axle ratings, GVW, tire ratings or factory recommended maximum towed vehicle weight will not be in the court room with the driver if there is an accident and the vehicle was overloaded in any manner.

Knowingly being over the limits of the tow vehicle is indefensible and leaves the driver possibly exposed to both civil and criminal charges depending on the case circumstances.

YMMV

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Tow Ratings Schmo Ratings ! We don't need no ratings ! What do the manufactures Know !

We tow with what we want to tow with !!!!!

After all penny wise pound foolish is our moto, eh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Metro&Casita4.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	180259   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 PT & Casita.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	180260  

Name:	DSCF0533.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	180261  

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Seriously, DO NOT EXCEED the manufactures Tow Rating.

You can add stuff to the TV to give it some help BUT it won't increase the tow rating.

Call your insurance companies claims department and ask them if they will pay a claim if you knowingly exceed the Mfg. tow rating.

Here in the USA we are sue happy.

So use common sense ! Not some opinion from outside the USA !

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
I've only seen this once, it was on RT22 between Ebensburg, PA and Crescent MT, PA in case anyone knows the area. I witnessed a local LEO with a stopped couple in an Airstream being pulled by a Ford Explorer, about a 2010 model. The AS looked to be 25'. The LEO was looking at the side plate on the trailer, I was going in the opposite direction and I pulled over and stopped, then he walked to the drivers side door and was clearly looking at the door sticker listing information including tire limits.

This is what got me looking into tires on our F150 Platinum and found out our payload could handle me, by wife, our dog and the hitch weight of our trailer and that was about it. No one at Ford dealership had any intelligent input, Ford engineers knew all about it. The F150 equipped with all kinds of towing equipment from the factory can handle the trailer easily, but the tires cannot and you cannot order the correct tires D or E rated from Ford, at least at the time

My point is this, safety first - not economy. Second, if a local cop in nowhere land PA is checking when other cops figure this out what an easy way to pick up much needed revenue for the township, county or state. I travel for business every day and have 10 trucks on the road every day and neither I nor any of my drivers have ever seen this before or since, but I believe it is going to start.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I've only seen this once, it was on RT22 between Ebensburg, PA and Crescent MT, PA in case anyone knows the area. I witnessed a local LEO with a stopped couple in an Airstream being pulled by a Ford Explorer, about a 2010 model. The AS looked to be 25'. The LEO was looking at the side plate on the trailer, I was going in the opposite direction and I pulled over and stopped, then he walked to the drivers side door and was clearly looking at the door sticker listing information including tire limits.

This is what got me looking into tires on our F150 Platinum and found out our payload could handle me, by wife, our dog and the hitch weight of our trailer and that was about it. No one at Ford dealership had any intelligent input, Ford engineers knew all about it. The F150 equipped with all kinds of towing equipment from the factory can handle the trailer easily, but the tires cannot and you cannot order the correct tires D or E rated from Ford, at least at the time

My point is this, safety first - not economy. Second, if a local cop in nowhere land PA is checking when other cops figure this out what an easy way to pick up much needed revenue for the township, county or state. I travel for business every day and have 10 trucks on the road every day and neither I nor any of my drivers have ever seen this before or since, but I believe it is going to start.
I am over weight when really loaded for the tires on our Platinum too.
I do see that there are tires available one aspect range higher that will fit our rims or I can just replace both wheels and tires with the 18" wheels Ford tends to use on other F150's. Interesting though, isn't it? I suspect it is a "style" thing...

I really love my F150 And we will keep it but we will be upgrading the tires this spring.

Makes me wonder exactly what people do for towing with smaller vehicles....

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I am over weight when really loaded for the tires on our Platinum too.

Makes me wonder exactly what people do for towing with smaller vehicles....

Bruce
Our 23' is larger than your 16' and our mid sized sedan is smaller than your F150. Our 17" performance tires are well within the load limits.

When comparing, the disadvantage of the F150 is the high curb weight which eats up a lot of the tire load capacity.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Itires g 35 MG_521655r.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	180265  
Old 08-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Another Roadside Tow Vehicle Attraction question

Hi, I'm Nell and this is my third post. I've been reading around about tow vehicles and thought I'd dive into the controversy--I mean, ask for advice.

We are looking for a tow vehicle for our newly acquired 1970 27' Overlander twin. What we'd like in an ideal world:

• Decent gas mileage considering the load
• older vehicle
• perhaps diesel
• easy-to-access cargo
• comfortable front seats (hub has bad back)
• sunroof (a girl can dream).

Other uses for this tow vehicle would be

• practical for use on a property for hauling stuff, incl.
• large garden supplies and sh*t (literally)
• construction materials
• workshop products, custom furniture and trim
• Adaptable into a compact camper vehicle.

As you can see, the primary use of this tow vehicle will be the uses I mention above. The secondary use will be to tow this trailer x-country.

An SUV is not practical, we aren't carrying our kids or others. A truck with a cap is not ideal, as cargo is not simple to access. A cargo van might be good. A Sprinter is too big, I think, and too expensive. I'm agnostic regarding tow limits and the talents of Andy at CanAm. Open to an unconventional solution, but have use for a van.

I'm not used to looking at the market as this trailer kind of dropped into our path unexpectedly, and I appreciate suggestions and experience.

It's been fun and informative reading along in these forums and I plan on hanging around a lot. Thanks in advance!
perri is offline   Reply With Quote