Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2005, 10:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Angry Tow Vehicle for 25' or 28' Safari

We are looking at new 25' and 28' Safari's. Would anyone out there care to share what TV they use for this size of trailer? I currently have an '05 1/2 ton 4WD Suburban, 295hp 5.3 litre, 3.42 rear end. I am pretty sure this will be okay in not too hilly terrain, but I am wondering if I should make plans to upgrade to a 3/4 ton 6.0 litre Suburban or a Duramax Crewcab.........
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeagle313
We are looking at new 25' and 28' Safari's. Would anyone out there care to share what TV they use for this size of trailer? I currently have an '05 1/2 ton 4WD Suburban, 295hp 5.3 litre, 3.42 rear end. I am pretty sure this will be okay in not too hilly terrain, but I am wondering if I should make plans to upgrade to a 3/4 ton 6.0 litre Suburban or a Duramax Crewcab.........
OK. Personal opinion. I use a F250, 6.0 liter diesel for our tow vehicle. I used a Excursion with a 6.8 V10 gas before that. The diesel is SOOO much better. On one of the WBCCI covers one time I saw people using Expeditions (5.4L max) to tow 31 ft. Airstreams. Sorry but that is not for me. I like to have a little extra buffer. The max wet weight for my trailer is around 6300 lb. The truck is rated at 12000. A perfect ratio for me.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by caadoptees
OK. Personal opinion. I use a F250, 6.0 liter diesel for our tow vehicle. I used a Excursion with a 6.8 V10 gas before that. The diesel is SOOO much better. On one of the WBCCI covers one time I saw people using Expeditions (5.4L max) to tow 31 ft. Airstreams. Sorry but that is not for me. I like to have a little extra buffer. The max wet weight for my trailer is around 6300 lb. The truck is rated at 12000. A perfect ratio for me.
That is kind of my thought process too, because if you are at the top of the range, you are working your vehicle very hard. The max weight for the '05 Safari is around 7000 lbs and the 1/2 ton 5.3 litre Suburban has a max towing capacity of 7400 lbs. The 6.0 litre 3/4 ton has about a 9000 lb towing limit, and the Duramax (crew cab p/up, not available in the Suburban) is 12,000, same as your Powerstroke 6.0.

There was a thread on Openroads Forum today, asking Expedition owners what they towed, and there were folks with 5.4's towing 28 footers......

Thanks for your input (on both of my posts)
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have a 3/4 Suburban with the 6.0L. Safari in 2004 has a GVWR of 6300lbs. 2005 from the rumors I've heard have upgraded axles to support more NCC getting it to 7300lbs, but I have not personally verified this.

Before we towed with the Suburban, we towed with a sedan that was somewhat equiv to a 1/2 ton. I think that if you stick with less stuff packed in a Safari, and remain closer to the 6300lb mark, a 1/2 could do it. 3/4 would for sure and it has a better rear gear and trans. 1500HD could do it no problem since it really is a 3/4 ton in 1/2 clothing.

If you go to a 28' you are really well within the 3/4 ton sandbox.

Diesel of course has better MPG, more power which can come in handy when towing at grade. But the cost of the engine combos make it pricey for those that want it, but don't really need it. The payback period in the last 6 months where diesel has cost more than gas extends that payback period longer should prices of fuels contiune at the current levels. Of course buying pre-owned can have an advantage here, it also has proportional advantages in the gassers as well.....

In the end, I'd suggest a 3/4 either way. The ride, power and feel of our 6.0L 3/4 Burb is just too good to describe...it's as if the 25' Safari isn't even back there.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:13 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
While I can only speak from the van perspective, the cost increment from the 1500 to 2500 series is so minimal, it really becomes a no brainer if you are going to purchase a new tow vehicle. You will get by with your existing vehicle, but aside from the engine side, the bigger wheels, brakes, beefed up suspension, and heavier duty transmission make the entire towing experience much better.

I pulled my 27' Safari with a 5.7 liter 3.73 axle half ton Chevy van. When I switched to the 3/4 ton with 6.0 liter and 4.10 axle, the difference was astounding.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I am a fan of a crew cab pickup truck with camper shell over an SUV any day. They have a longer wheelbase for one thing. You're safer with heavy or flammable things like a generator or two and the fuel for them, or an extra bottle of propane, for dry-camping, not being in the passenger compartment, especially in an accident. That probably also goes for the nasty tote-tank. I'd rather put the sometimes muddy patio rug, parking chocks and blocks, electrical extension cord and water hoses in a truck bed when breaking camp. Those are my reasons. You also can't get a Suburban with a diesel.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Diesel Sub is now back to 07 and maybe further according to factory rep at auto show for what it's worth. So figure it will be sometime after the new diesel / electric power on demand military style engine is ready for us regular folks, 2010? So I could get a DuraMax 2500HD and just trade it in almost new in 5 years. Hate to only get it broken in and give it up.
Look at the Infinit QX65. Tows 8900, 4WD Hi, LO, All Wheel Drive, and features right off the star ship. This thing pre loads the brake system if the rate of closure to the car in front increases, like you get cut off, just to be ready to brake. Backup camera and sensors, roof air bags, dynamic power system like the BMW sedans, Nav, ect ect ect for 51000.
OH... 390 ftlbs from 315 hp with tow setting.
Save 10000 by getting the Nissan version.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That's a shame. I mean even Ford has diesels in their soon to be extinct Excursion. A diesel Burb would be a nice vehicle. Until then, my 6.0L will just have to do.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Until you finally trade up to a 34
Old 02-08-2005, 04:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
THANKS for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe
I am a fan of a crew cab pickup truck with camper shell over an SUV any day. They have a longer wheelbase for one thing. You're safer with heavy or flammable things like a generator or two and the fuel for them, or an extra bottle of propane, for dry-camping, not being in the passenger compartment, especially in an accident. That probably also goes for the nasty tote-tank. I'd rather put the sometimes muddy patio rug, parking chocks and blocks, electrical extension cord and water hoses in a truck bed when breaking camp. Those are my reasons. You also can't get a Suburban with a diesel.
And I was all set to buy a Suburban. You make some good points about hoses, chocks, etc. Is theft a greater problem with a camper shell? Or do you just make it look like the back is full of crap? What Chevy or Ford pickups would you recomend?

Paula & Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 04:53 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe
Until you finally trade up to a 34
LOL!

Well, at the rate we're going, should hit just around the time the ol Burb gets the diesel.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Paula, the first thing I'd ask is whether you're sure you won't be trading up to a much larger Airstream. The 5,000 lb GVWR of your 22 is getting pretty close to the max I'd tow with a 1/2 ton truck with cargo in the bed. There ARE advantages to the 1/2 ton when it comes to truck weight, and thus gas mileage when not towing. Pretty much even the shortest truck (standard cab & short bed) will have enough wheelbase length for the 22... and even up to a 25.

The second question would be how much seating you really need, i.e. whether you need a full back seat. That adds wheelbase to the truck, making it more stable when towing, but also increases the turning radius, which can be inconvenient in some parking lots when you get much beyond 140". Looking at it another way, additional room for seating also reduces bed length, for the same wheelbase. Having an extended cab or supercab is nice to carry things dry and locked up if you don't want to put them in the bed, IF you aren't going to be carrying adults in the back seat for very far. In our case (158"), it gives us a longer bed for the Harleys compared to the crew cab/short bed, but for others, it's a way to have a shorter wheelbase (140") with a 6'+ short bed.

I've owned both Ford and GM vehicles over the years, and both were good, but I had a little better luck with Ford. Either would be fine, depending on how it suits you and the deal you can get.

Every now and then a good camper shell gets broken into just like a window gets broken out in a car. I don't even use a shell and just keep stuff under a soft tonneau cover. The tailgate locks and the cover is too tight to be lifted far enough to see much. There are also hard tonneau covers. The camper shell is nice for getting inside in the rain to get stuff stored near the front of the bed, and it can keep larger stuff covered.

That's a start anyway.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Exclamation

Ahhhh... I remember the day when Silvertwinkie was advocating the strength of the AMC Gremlin. (or was it Chevelle?)

redeagle -- believe the answers you are getting about more beef! IMHO the later 25' trailers are at the limit of 1/2-ton trucks to begin with. (all qualifications apply -- truck + fuel + 2 humans + hitch weight are nearly at the tow vehicle's GVWR limit, not applying to -HD configurations, prices higher in Hawaii and Alaska)

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote