Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #21
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
I believe the faulty GL/ML hitch was replaced in 2010. The new hitch has a different design, and the receiver to tube welding goes all around the tube.
So when I go to look at the cars what specifically can I look for? A full weld bead where the north/south receiver meets the east/west support?

Also, any idea on whether a non-factory hitch is superior to the Mercedes hitch? Some of the vehicles I've looked at on the internet come without hitches so I'd either have to add an OEM hitch or aftermarket. Maybe an aftermarket is better?
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
So when I go to look at the cars what specifically can I look for? A full weld bead where the north/south receiver meets the east/west support?

Also, any idea on whether a non-factory hitch is superior to the Mercedes hitch? Some of the vehicles I've looked at on the internet come without hitches so I'd either have to add an OEM hitch or aftermarket. Maybe an aftermarket is better?
I am attaching 2 photos. One is the faulty hitch, the other is the hitch that replaced it. The newer hitch is still rated at 600#.

I don't believe there is an after market option for GL/ML. There is ExecuHitch, but I don't think it supports WDH.
Attached Images

rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:56 AM   #23
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Just to follow up on this saga, I went to test drive an ML350 Bluetec the other day. Loved it. Was about to sign the papers when I figured I should check the actual payload capacity on the vehicle rather than going by the published Mercedes specs.

Guess what -- 948 lbs on the door sticker!

I will be traveling light but probably not that light. Per Airstream, hitch weight on the 23D with LP but otherwise unloaded is 720 lbs. If I move to a 25 I'm looking at over 800 and close to 900 lbs.

Back to thinking about a truck...
Old 06-18-2014, 05:25 AM   #24
3202 Ellie

1975 Argosy 24
milan , Michigan
I tow with a 2013 f 150 5.0 crew cab 3.55 gear I am towing a 24 double I love it there are no tow problems with it and even the mileage isn't bad 12.8 on the low end.
It shifts a bit in long hills but so far no lack of power.
boliversr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:28 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Just to follow up on this saga, I went to test drive an ML350 Bluetec the other day. Loved it. Was about to sign the papers when I figured I should check the actual payload capacity on the vehicle rather than going by the published Mercedes specs.

Guess what -- 948 lbs on the door sticker!

I will be traveling light but probably not that light. Per Airstream, hitch weight on the 23D with LP but otherwise unloaded is 720 lbs. If I move to a 25 I'm looking at over 800 and close to 900 lbs.

Back to thinking about a truck...

ScottinNJ. If you are serious about getting a MB SUV to pull your rig I would encourage you to contact Rich Luhr of Airstream Life as he owns one (not sure which model) and pulls a 30 footer with it. Also, you should speak with Andy Thomson of CanAm RV in London Ontario, he is quite the towing expert. You can get the contact information for both of these individuals by "Googling" them and/or their respective companies.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #26
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
ScottinNJ. If you are serious about getting a MB SUV to pull your rig I would encourage you to contact Rich Luhr of Airstream Life as he owns one (not sure which model) and pulls a 30 footer with it. Also, you should speak with Andy Thomson of CanAm RV in London Ontario, he is quite the towing expert. You can get the contact information for both of these individuals by "Googling" them and/or their respective companies.
Thanks. I have spoken with the folks at Can Am. Seems they would have me tow with my 2013 Honda Odyssey over the ML350. Truth told, it has a much greater payload capacity than the ML350. It's over 1200 lbs if I recall correctly. Handles great as well.

I'm just not willing to double the 3,500 tow rating...
Old 06-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
short bed crew cab trucks are the way to go!
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
If I am not mistaken, Rich Luhr tows with a Benz GL, which has at least 200# more of payload when compared to Benz ML -- its also heavier and has a longer wheelbase.

I don't think anyone can magically increase a vehicle's payload. If you think the manufacturer specs like payload do NOT matter (as some forum members think), then I guess you have a larger selection of TV's to choose from.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
If you are considering the minivan approach, I would encourage you to contact another member of this forum (MrUKToad.) He lives in southern Ontario (relatively flat) and tows a 25 or 27 with his minivan and is quite happy with it. I have a heavy 27 footer and plan to be on the road a lot and go out west (think Rockies) so I would not consider a minivan, but since you are going to be a weekend warrior and have a relatively lighter unit (the 23) this might work for you. I'm sure there are limitations with a minivan-based setup (such as hill climbing) but MrUKToad can probably help you think this through.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
If you are considering the minivan approach, I would encourage you to contact another member of this forum (MrUKToad.)
I haven't contributed to this thread as the OP said that he was after a truck. If the original idea has shifted then yes, I can speak about my experiences with the 2011 Toyota Sienna minivan and our 2011 28' International Serenity.

First off, our TV has had the Can Am treatment with a beefed up hitch, WD, sway control and the works. Also, the TV suits our needs; it's our daily drive and is quite easy on the juice when not towing. We're largely weekenders and do travel very light, even with the kids and don't haul a generator or canoes or firewood or bikes.

AABob is quite right to point out that we're in flat southern Ontario but I don't fear for the Sienna's pulling power; as others have shown, it'll go up just about any hill, albeit that it's not going to win any races doing so. We've towed through the hills in New Hampshire and Tennessee without issue.

I've not weighed our setup when fully loaded but I know that it has a high tongue weight, which gobbles up a big chunk of the payload. That said, apart from people, we don't haul much stuff in the van so even if we're close to the limit, or even slightly over it, it's not caused us any problems.

The Toyota published tow limit is, in my view, a red herring. When set up and loaded we sit level, pull and stop comfortably and handle as well as anything else towing a few tons of trailer. The Sienna is low slung, wide and handles well, even when braking. Over three and half seasons we've had no mechanical issues with the TV and reports from my local Toyota dealer don't highlight any abnormal wear during the service schedule.

The issue as I see it is not with the numbers but your use of the TV. If you're going to haul those heavy and dirty items like a generator or firewood, then a minivan won't be for you. If you do travel light and you want a TV that is reasonably economical when not towing, then maybe a minivan will suit your needs.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #31
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
MrUKToad, Thanks for contributing. A while back I read a fair amount of your blog (old and new) and that was one of the reasons I had considered the Honda in the first place.

Taking everything into consideration, I pulled the trigger on a 2012 F-150 5.0 V8 with the 7350 GVWR package (over 1600 lbs of load capacity) and an integrated brake controller. Only thing I would have liked would have been the 3.73 rear instead of the 3.55, but I think the 3.55 will do.

Took the truck home today.

Now I need something to tow!!
Old 06-20-2014, 05:23 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
That's a good pick. Seems the 5.0 V8 will get you roughly the same MPG as an EcoBoost engine, yet the engine is not turbo, and hence with fewer components should be more reliable (Good idea to stay away from the cutting edge technology until the glitches are fixed). You also have more payload that a minivan (and a longer wheelbase), and less of an operational cost than ML350.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #33
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
That's a good pick. Seems the 5.0 V8 will get you roughly the same MPG as an EcoBoost engine, yet the engine is not turbo, and hence with fewer components should be more reliable (Good idea to stay away from the cutting edge technology until the glitches are fixed). You also have more payload that a minivan (and a longer wheelbase), and less of an operational cost than ML350.
Yes. I hope so!

The 5.0 is a pretty proven engine from what I read. Plus it's a 6-speed tranny which may very well prove to be one of the last repairable transmissions. I understand that the newer 8 speed+ transmissions cannot be rebuilt. They go, so does a huge chunk of change.

Excuse the poor cellphone picture, but here she is. Beauty if you ask me.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Looks great. Congrats!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #35
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
You'll do fine with the 3.55, after lots of reading there are plenty of folks who don't see much of a slow down. It's a very mild difference between 3.73 & 3.55, not the same as 3.55 vs 4.10.

Nice choice of truck there, with the payload you should be good to go.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
You can never go wrong with a Ford truck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	214556  
Old 06-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #37
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
You can never go wrong with a Ford truck!
Haha. Yours is like the big brother of my truck.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #38
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Except for when it's Found On Road Dead. Just make sure you Fix Or Repair Daily.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #39
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekey View Post
Except for when it's Found On Road Dead. Just make sure you Fix Or Repair Daily.

I hope you aren't speaking from experience...
Old 09-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #40
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Reporting back, we just finished our first trip with the new Airstream (25' Flying Cloud) and the F-150. 2,500 miles from New Jersey to Arkansas and back.

The 5.0 did admirably. Could I have used more power on some of the roads, particularly in the Asheville, NC to Knoxville, TN area - yes. But who wouldn't say that?

Returned 12.5 MPG for the trip. Pretty consistent too. Highest I saw was the run from Hershey Park in PA back to Jersey, 13.2 MPG. Favorable tailwinds I suppose.