Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2020, 07:29 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Saint Louis , MO
"Nicely done" haha. Lexus & Raptor FTW.
JeffRadford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
I am working on setting my new to me 06 tundra up as the primary tow vehicle. The old 3rd gen 4runner has been a champ but towing across KS is a drag. Offroad the 3rd gen 4runner with the locker is pretty much unstoppable on any access roads. We have a TJ when we want to go get some pinstripes.

With that said I am replacing the 2wd monroe struts up front with some bilstein 6112 and the 6150s in the back like a previous poster on this thread. The monroe struts are just scary. They bottom out on anything and bob and wave on anything but the smoothest highway. The previous owner just threw these on to get it sold I am sure.

Anyways I will set about an inch and a half higher in the front and I should have room for 31 or 32" tires. Stock are 30's I assume most of you have went up in size. I would like some advice here. I don't want this truck to turn into a dog, I need to tow up some steep grades.

265/70/17
275/70/17

255/75/17 is also an option. I will probably replace the spare with this size if I do go with 32s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	signal-2020-11-28-175516.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	357.6 KB
ID:	385098  
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:48 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Thanks for sharing Peter417 and bringing this back.

With COVID lockdowns and lots of working and staying at home, I took the opportunity to further tweak and modify my Lexus Land Cruiser with off-roaders holy grail of 35" diameter tires, aka 35s. For more off-road capability to tackle difficult rated jeep trails, while preserving all the towing goodness. It's a slippery slope of modifications, but to that end, I've recently done the following:

- 35x12.5" Toyo AT tires (up from 33x12.5")
- Re-gear front and rear axles to 4.3s (from 3.9s)
- Big 14" brakes
- Rear locker

It's probably more a hobby versus need, as truthfully, the LX already had a great ability to tackle most difficult trails. With 35s, a mild 1" lift, and the ability to further hydraulically lift 3" on on demand, there's now clearance galore with 6" of total lift at the body.

Maiden journey with the new setup out to Death Valley over Thanksgiving week as we isolated from family. What better place than the expanses of practically no-where.

Happy to report, with all the modification, she still tows exceptionally well. Still maintaining splendid on road ride comfort and stability. While enabling another level of off-road capability. Used the Airstream as our basecamp as we normally do, but also went a couple hundred miles into remote areas to see some incredible sights including the Racetrack Playa and some technical off-roading at Lippincott mine. 35s aired down to 15PSI, with plush suspension, makes corrugations ride like butter.

Name:	LXASDV.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	385105

Name:	lxdv1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	385106

Name:	lxdv3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	385107

Name:	lxdv4.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	385108
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:57 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Tell me more about that lift? Is this something new on the market? Or is this that thing where you trick the system into thinking it is lower than it is? Do you have any rubbing issues?
Old 12-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #45
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Happy to. The AHC suspension system is unique to the Land Cruiser, and only existed in the previous Land Cruiser and LX470 100-series, and now specifically in the LX570 200-series (at least in the U.S.). The system has provisions to adjust the neutral height by sensors or software. To keep it as stable as possible for towing, I only adjusted it for a 1" lift.

It's not an air suspension that's commonly used by manufacturers, nor does it share the common weaknesses attributed to those types of suspensions. It's a computer controlled hydraulic pneumatic system, with remote variable damping and multi-stage spring rates. It allows for the broadest competencies across a dichotomy of uses - Lexus plush for ride and off-road articulation, while tightly controlled for handling and load. 3" lift for clearance, with 2" drop for ingress/egress. Rides as good unladen or with 2000lbs payload. All while keeping with Toyota's commitment to reliability and durability as the AHC system has been known to go 250k+ miles of continuous like new performance, with only fluid flushes as maintenance. Little known, but the stock flex capabilities of the suspension are only second to the most extreme versions of the Unlimited Rubicon Wrangler.

The technology is now Toyota owned, but hails from Tenneco Kinetic Dynamic Suspension developments which not available in the aftermarket because of the level of integration. Applications of the technology have been used in World Rally Championship, where successful wins and advantages also quickly got it outlawed. Simpler cross-linking aspects of the technology are also seen in other Toyota products marketed as KDSS and X-REAS.

No rubbing but it did take some modification to the front wheel well plastic liners and clearancing the body mount. It stuffs the tire fully while turned without a problem.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:50 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
I have read a good bit on the ahc for both the lx470 570. I have test driven both also. The ahc in the 470 was pretty much dead and that seems common.

I had no idea you could get that large of a tire on a stock lx. I have read a bit about that lift. There is no cost right? Pretty cool. I hope to have a 200 series in the next 5 years or so.

One final question how common is the adaptive cruise control in 08-11 lx?
Old 12-19-2020, 10:29 AM   #47
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter417 View Post
I have read a good bit on the ahc for both the lx470 570. I have test driven both also. The ahc in the 470 was pretty much dead and that seems common.

I had no idea you could get that large of a tire on a stock lx. I have read a bit about that lift. There is no cost right? Pretty cool. I hope to have a 200 series in the next 5 years or so.

One final question how common is the adaptive cruise control in 08-11 lx?
With most 100-series now 15+ years old, I wouldn't be surprised their suspensions need some attention, just as any vehicle would. The AHC system is maintainable with new globes and hydraulic struts, for comparable prices to traditional systems.

The LX is actually able to fit larger tires more easily than its sister Land Cruiser platform due to clearance without the KDSS bar that's fitted to the LC. Most will stop at 34" tires as it's an easier fitment without having to deal with cutting and welding the body mount. Though BMCs are a pretty common modification to all Toyota's fitting big tires.

The trick is to have all this off-road capability while keeping towing safe and stable. IMO, AHC is what allows for that duality.

This reference may help on steps necessary to fit 35s
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fit...an-lx.1227030/

Separately, I'm secretly waiting for someone to pair a Ram TRX with an Airstream to join our thread. That would be a sight to see.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:41 AM   #48
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Another great 2k mile trip out to the CA,AZ, and UT regions. Lake Powell is just incredible with its expansive scenery.

I love nothing more than to enjoy and relax in the airstream, while using it as a basecamp to explore the back country. This is where the TVs capabilities come in as I want to be able to explore the backcountry, with capability and comfort, but more importantly reliability, so I can always get back home.

So much endless backcountry in that region.

Name:	LXAS10.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	392753

Old 04-08-2021, 12:06 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
That is some really great footage. We don't have anything that remote but we do make it off the pavement on many of our adventures. Having a capable TV adds functionality to our camping trips.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2021-04-08_13-05.png
Views:	8
Size:	574.0 KB
ID:	392755   Click image for larger version

Name:	signal-2021-04-02-174727.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	392756