Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #21
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Ed,

We have just upgraded from a 2000 F250 diesel, to a 2014 F350 diesel. The old 7.3 in our 2000 is a great engine, and I may keep the truck. I upgraded to the F350 Platinum because I wanted a crew cab, with a more modern and comfortable interior. I also often have a truck camper mounted in the bed when pulling the Airstream. The increase in torque and horsepower is going to be greatly appreciated.

Our first trip with the new truck and Airstream will be early next month, when we head to Death Valley to get out of the Oregon rain. What I've noticed so far is the incredible smoothness of the power and ride. The new transmission with tow haul is far superior to the transmission in the old truck. Being able to control descent speed without being continually braking is great. The new truck is very, very quiet when compared to the 7.3.

Just over 2000 miles on the F350, and we are seeing about 17.5 mpg at freeway speeds. I would expect to see that increase as we get more miles on the truck. BTW, after over 15 years with the old truck, our overall average, across all types of driving and loads, is 15.3 mpg. I would expect to see something near that with the new truck.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I agree with the suggestion of looking at the new F-150. FWIW, I'm not particularly a Ford fan but if I were buying today I would really take a serious look at the F-150.
Late summer we were camping in Steamboat Springs and a family with a F150 Eco Boost and 30' Bunk wound up next to us. The fellow came over the next day to discuss my pulling the 25' FB with the ML350. He said the new F150 Eco Boost was absolutely terrible and he was struggling with the hit he was going to take replace it, but replace it he was. He indicated that it struggled under load and was overheating on the long grades. I would personally go with a diesel or at least a V8 in one of the other brands for the 28'.
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Pulled our 28ft International one season with F150 Supercrew 4x4 5.4 V8 and while it pulled it ok the suspension and brakes left alot to be desired.It was maxed out.Going up steep grades the engine was taxed.Traded for a 2012 6.7 turbo diesel Ford Superduty crewcab F350 and the difference in handling was night and day.When it came time to trade the choice was easy 2015 F350 Platinum Supercrew 6.7 turbo diesel 4x4.I also use a Airsafe hitch.
Just got back from the maiden voyage and did 4500 miles all I can say is wow.When the Airstream is hooked up this truck rides like a luxury car much better than the F150 with maxed out suspension.Brakes are much better than 2012 and far surpass the F150.I like a 8ft box for my atv and misc but for alot of people it may be to much.I drive this truck every day and it is a pleasure
There are alot of people on this forum who will say a new 3/4 or 1 ton is over kill,but I would venture to say that none of them have ever pulled with a new technology Superduty.
When it came time to trade the 2012-2015 it cost the same to drive the F350 as it did when I traded F150's.Maintenance cost difference from gas to diesel is minimal.
.I don't drink the Koolaid with the light truck heavy trailer crowd as I have tried both and will not go back.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Ed,
Congratulations on your 2015 AS.
Now it looks like your first and major concern is safety reading your post. Followed by daily driving, then " costly mistake" from picking the wrong TV. A lot of great analysis by previous posts and all boils down to that subjective "Safety". The state of the mind dictates how safe we feel all the time and not the data posted on the equipment or in our head ( good or bad). Since you've already felt unsafe towing with the Q56 Infinity ( a great SUV by the way), you will in most probability feel the same in ML 350, F150 or any 1500 since they are all in roughly in the same payload / towing capacity . In my humble opinion, keep what you have and have a professional (Can-Am.RV.ca for example) diagnose / adjust your current setup to see if your "safety" level improves OR go with your 2500 instinct since that's what your subconscious part of the brain is considering as "safe".

IF YOU DECIDE ON 2500:

Gas or Diesel depends on how long you plan on keeping the TV and if exhaust brake and initial torque ( for descending and take off should you stop at an incline in traffic hold up respectively) appeal to you. A 2 wheel drive 2500 drive as comfortable as any 1500 due to less weight in the steering front axel, hence better turning radius. In Virginia per your avatar, you might need the 4x4 so it's a trade you have to settle with wifey's comfort driving.
I will also advise you go to a few dealers and test drive both 2 & 4 wheel drives and as soon as you narrow your choice down, tell them you need to test tow and you will be surprised that some of them will yield as long as they see you as willing and able to purchase .
Disclosure: I have no affiliation with Ca-Am but have visited their workshop to see and learn about various SUV modifications. I also have MB G55, F450 & 2500 as TVs plus Suburbans as past TVs.

Again, stick with your Q56 till you test drive 2500 and follow your instinct sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
My dad pulled his 31' AS for many years with Suburbans. He was not happy with the perfomance in the mountains, tho. He thought he should be able to cruise up any mountain effortlessly.

So, he bought a Ford one ton diesel van, and had it customised. He had a Banks turbocharger, and two speed gear box installed. He had a TOW TRUCK! A very fancy TT. I think he spent over $100,000 on that very fancy, powerful TT.

Me, I'm quite happy with my Chevy Quadrasteer with the 6 liter engine. Yes, on the really big hills, I'm in the truck lane with the big rigs. But, that's a small part of my travels, so it doesn't matter that much.

As a daily driver, it's fine. As a TV, it's fine. The only problem is, they don't make them anymore. So, when I have to replace it, I'll get a 1500 FWD with the big gas engine, the Allison transmission, and install a larger fuel tank.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #26
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Ford has some excellent trucks. Any version of the F150 will do just fine. With Ford you must be very specific with payload and towing capacities. A good truck salesmen can help you there. I believe with pulling an Airstream any diesel truck would be over kill and costly. Today's diesels are high level maintenance and of course the fuel is much more expensive. The Ford Echoboost engine will do the job quite well. I currently have a 2013 F150 with a 2015 on order. Sales people at several deanships talked me out of the diesel.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
There is no such thing as too much horsepower or money!!!!
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:51 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
As you can read there are very strong opinions here. Some done it one way and would never go back others opposite and would never go back. I too would suggest having your setup checked out. I would further suggest going through the hassle of towing with your other options before you decide. Try hookup, pulling grades, cruising flat, emergency braking, maneuvering in/out/around gas stations, malls, and parking into a tight spot. I did this when getting out of our big 3/4 diesel and going with the ML350. It was very much worth my time and insured I got the right overall vehicle for our family and trailer.
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Long Beach , California
Take a good look at the Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab - Diesel. Lots of tow power, great ride, nice interior, good mileage. Long or short bed up to you.
Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #30
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
As I sit here reading this post, outside of my side window sits an beautiful rig. It's a silver Infinity QX56 and a 30 foot Airstream that my winter neighbors in Florida have successfully traveled with for 10's of thousands of miles/months at a time all over the USA with no problems. If you're looking for suggestions, just keep what you have, the QX56 more then adequate to do the job and is the secret envy of any 2500 pickup owner that's bumping down the road when they are pulling or not. Just stomp down on the QX56 gas pedal and go. If your Infinity decides it doesn't like the workout in a really hot situation, just roll down the windows and put the heater on full blast for a while. The idea is to spend the bucks going places not dressing up the perfect rig to sit in the driveway at home. By the way, this advice will only cost you two cents so take it for what it's worth.
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:04 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Which TV for FC 28

This probably won't help but we bought a 2015 Tahoe to toe a new FC 25. However when I left the dealership I had ordered the FC 28 rear queen. Started worrying immediately about adequacy of Tahoe given added tounge weight of 28. I traded the Tahoe in with 4k miles (ouch) and now have Chevy 2500 HD with Duramax diesel, 4X4, exhaust brakes, Allison trans and Class 5 hitch. Just ordered a ProPride hitch last week. I'm sleeping better but pocketbook is sore!
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #32

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Westbank , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Brownfield View Post
My head is spinning, I can't figure out the best solution to what a problem that I did not expect. I am having a terrible time trying to decide on which truck to buy and I usually don't have a problem making decisions! What tow vehicle is best for towing a 2015 28 FC? l

We are new AS owners ; picked up our 2015 28 ft. FC in August. I thought that we would be fine towing the trailer with my Infiniti QX 56 (towing capacity of 8,900 Lbs). We bought a Hensley Hitch for weight distribution and sway control (safety is a very important to us). We have towed the trailer about 4,000 miles now and we are not comfortable towing this size/weight trailer with our SUV. We began looking at trucks and I have not been able to make a decision on what truck to purchase. This is not normal for me I usually study a problem gather information and then make a decision. Not so with this decision, it is a really tough with no clear right answer. We want to use whatever truck we purchase as a "daily drive around" vehicle replacing my Infiniti QX 56 so a comfortable ride and nice interior are important. We like the 1500 GMC Denali but the 1500 does not have the towing capacity of a 2500. The size of the 1500 and its maneuverability are appealing but not the towing capacity. The 2500 has the tow capacity but it is large and from what I have been told it is cumbersome for driving around town on a daily basis. Then factor in the decision of whether to buy a large gasoline engine or a diesel engine it makes my head spin. I can not seem to find a the right or even a good answer to my dilemma. Safety towing is a very important factor, and being able to stop quickly and maneuver quickly if need be are important. I would love to hear other seasoned AS owners thoughts and suggestions on what to do. I don't want to make a costly mistake!
Hi Ed:I drive a 2007 GMC Diesel 2500 Crew cab, pulling an older very heavy 28' trailer through the mountains. I would definitely recommend a diesel 2500 if finances allow. It's a dream to tow with, and I love driving it daily as well. The braking is excellent as is the power.
cantnotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:38 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
2017 23' International
Amersfoort , Utrecht
Send a message via Skype™ to koosdhr
Infiniti should be fine - I would adjust your set up

I am really surprised that you have problems with the Infiniti. The reasons can be many different things, but as far as the combination of this tow vehicle with this trailer is concerned, you should not have a problem at all.

I would start by checking whether or not the trailer is level. Make sure you find a very level spot of concrete or tarmac large enough for your rig. Hitch up and then measure if the trailer is level front to back. If it is not, I would suggest adjusting the height of the tow bar.

Next comes checking the weight distribution. Use the same level area that we just used. Do all four wheels of the car go down exact the same distance when you hitch up? You can measure the distance by taping pieces of masking tape to the body of the car right above each wheel, marking a horizontal line on each piece of tape and measuring the distance of that line to the ground before and after hitching up. If the front wheels go down too much, you have too much tension on the chains and they need to be a bit longer. If the rear wheels go down too much, you need to put more tension on the chains by shortening them. Usually left and right are not a big difference. If you are adjusting the chains and you find that one link is too much, you can put a bolt and nut between two links to shorten the chain by half a link.

If that does not do the trick, you could of course look at other things like the sway control or the settings on the brake. Another thing could be to look at how your trailer is loaded. Do you have heavy stuff all the way in the front and/or the back of the trailer? Or high up in the cupboards? The heaviest things should be as low as possible and as close to the axles as possible. That makes your trailer much more stable.

Good luck tweaking and I hope it works out.
koosdhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:58 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

I haven't read all the responses but I'll give you my 2 cents anyway :-) (That's about what it's worth).

We have a 2007 Classic with a Slide. I recently checked it's wt = 9750# ! (Fresh, black & grey tanks were mostly empty but otherwise it had all of our "stuff" in it).

We tow with a 2007 Chevy Silverado C2500 Diesel. (The C2500 is 2 wheel drive - there have been a few times I wish I had 4 wheel drive). We have the Pro Pride hitch.

Last summer we were on a long trip. While driving through mountains we lost our trailer brakes. First of all I didn't even notice until we stopped because I mostly use the diesel engine for going down hill - very rarely touch my brakes. When we stopped I could smell the brakes. We had 500 miles to go and were able to (carefully) get back without an issue.

I wouldn't even consider pulling one of the larger ASs without Diesel. Add to that the amazing torque - it's a no brainer for me.

If you have the resources, seriously consider a diesel.
rasjad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #35
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
THE BIGGER, THE BETTER. Short wheelbase, more wiggle, Longer Wheelbase, less wiggle. Bigger Motor, beefier tranny, easier pull. Smaller Motor has to work a bit harder. Diesels generally last longer, and produce more torque than the same displacement gasoline engine. Tough decision. They will all work to pull your AS safely.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
2017 23' International
Amersfoort , Utrecht
Send a message via Skype™ to koosdhr
I just realized that your Infiniti may have automatic leveling. In that case, you would have to turn that off when adjusting the weight distribution. I have no experience with automatic leveling, so I am not sure how to do it in that case. Maybe someone else knows...
koosdhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
F450Harley gives best advice

Welcome Ed!

F450Harley gives the best overall advice. There's nothing inherently wrong or unsafe with your Infiniti. If you are close to CanAm, Andy Thompson is "da man" for fine tuning tow balance for the best feeling and safest ride. We're too far away, or I would have had him tune our rig in a shot.

All the guys that are recommending bigger vehicles are right--that's the way to go if all you're concerned about is towing ability. But the other part of your dilemma is that you're looking for a vehicle that will do both well.

But it really comes down to what you and your wife feel is safe. A proper tune of your rig to get you the optimum will then let you know whether that works for you--or not.

When we bought our 2009 International 28' new, we already owned a 2000 Suburban 3/4 ton. Our dealer recommended the Equalizr, and we have liked it very much--the WD capabilities are fine, and the antisway works well--and it's one of the fastest and easiest to install, a major consideration for us. The Suburban with it's top end package and Bose stereo was very luxurious. We used it as a daily vehicle, and although longer than your Infiniti, it was quite manageable. It towed well, but its engine was a bit weak for more extreme situations--we couldn't accelerate to 80 going up a 70% slope, for example! (Not exactly a priority.) The transmission gauge let us know it was working very hard up extreme slopes in high heat environments, and we would behave accordingly. We felt that the leaf springs in the 3/4 ton were overkill, and they made for a very stiff ride unloaded, but otherwise had no complaints as a daily vehicle.

We considered replacing it with the same vehicle, but we decided a more powerful engine would be ideal. GM no longer offered a diesel, or we would have gone there, for sure. To get the more powerful gas engine, we would have had to go to the Denali (much more expensive, but very nice), and only the 1/2 ton had the engine, but that's where we were leaning. The only challenge for us is that we carry a large volume of lightweight windsurfing equipment, and it was already a squeeze to get it into the Suburban and the new bodies were even smaller in the rear opening--I just couldn't get the gear in anymore--an inch made the difference. My wife wouldn't consider a cargo van. So we researched and soul-searched and ended up with a 2013 Sprinter one-ton. This is NOT the right vehicle for you! But it's worked out very well for us. We are right at the top tow range (7300, and the top is 7500) which I don't like--in fact, we may change our four AGM batteries to lithium to save 200+ pounds. But the Sprinter little diesel pulls just fine, although now we might have to slow to 45 on those steep grades in a lot of heat. Even though we tow Texas, NM, AZ, CA to OR in summer and go over steep grades in lots of heat, the actual number of times we have to slow down might be six times in six months of towing. But you don't need or want the volume that we need.

And the diesel is less convenient than gas and more expensive for oil changes (and you can't use Mexico diesel in it if you want to go through Baja, for example) but it really is just not a problem.

By the way, no truck, no matter how inconveniently huge, had bed long enough for our gear. And the larger luxurious versions were just too big for daily use in our opinion. Depending upon what you're carrying with you, your first call is whether you want a truck or an SUV. If you'd prefer an SUV, again, I'd try tuning your current rig first. Otherwise, the 1/2 ton Denali (which comes with the larger engine) was the best in our opinion when we were looking. Only drawback was it gave up the larger 38gal tank standard in the 3/4 ton. We didn't look at Mercedes, BMW or any other manufacturer because they all were too limited in storage capacity. But for you, you could look at the whole field, including the Porsche Cayenne, and if you don't have a tremendous amount of gear, look at towing capacity, torque, horsepower (and cost) and then test drive anything that fits your needs.

But first, as Mr. Harley suggest, get your current rig tuned, and if it all possible, let Andy Thompson at CanAm do it!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If looking at Ford, go to a Ford dealer that specializes in trucks (lots of them on their lot). The typical car sales man only wants to sell the one on his lot and typically has less knowledge than the empty mail box out front on the true terminology relating to towing safely.

The bare F150 has a fairly decent payload. Dressing it up to a Platinum uses close to 500 pounds of payload for glitz and bells and whistles.

We went from a 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel that the weights did not workout to a 2012 Ram 2500HD 4x4 Cummins diesel crew cab with short bed. That solved all the towing and payload issues with the 25FB and now the 31' Classic with a 10,000 pound GVW. We load what we want and go and are not worrying whether the tube of toothpaste will overload the rig.

We had the Hensley hitch for the 25FB and went with the second generation of that design (the ProPride) for the Classic.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:05 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Deland , Florida
I also have a 28' trailer. I tow with a Ford F150 ecoboost. Haven't pulled in the mountains yet but on flat land seems fine. Will probably step up to a diesel for the added safety. This truck is a crew cab. Interior is huge and very nicely appointed. Very smooth, quiet ride. Have always been a Chevy guy but when I test drove this I was very impressed. I keep the transmission locked out of 6th gear when towing. Only complaint I have is trailer seems to push around the truck a bit more than I like. Haven't pulled my trailer with any other vehicle. My dad has a Chevy 2500HD with the diesel and Allison trans. Awesome tow vehicle. Almost double the cost though. The interior is smaller than the ford especially the back seat.
Nissan is suppose to have a 1/2 ton diesel coming out soon. Sounds interesting.
printman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
There is no such thing as too much horsepower or money!!!!

Hi, I totally disagree with you. I won't even get into the money part of it. Too much power can be as dangerous, or more, than not enough power. Too much power to compensate for lack of driver ability, or confidence, is not the answer. And if you can't feel that trailer behind you, you need to stop towing before someone seriously gets hurt.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags