Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Montezuma , Iowa
I will add to the confusion. I just pulled a 31' AS from Fort Myers Fla. to Iowa with a Ram 1500, with the Hemi engine. It also has the eco feature. The only thing I need to do is possibly add air shocks to the back. It seems to have all the power we need. Running without the AS, we average about 21 or 22 MPG. Pulling the AS we varied between 10.6 into the wind to 12.5 without a headwind. I previously drove a 3500 Ram with the High Output Cummins. That had all the power you would ever need and then some, but it really rode rough, and it to 20 acres to turn it around. The 1500 rides nice, and the backup camera is nice and big. Good Truck.
toverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:53 PM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Toverman, go for full FALR versus air shocks. If then truck sits a couple of inches low with dead level trailer you are good. Air shocks and overloads on 1/2T work against you. Bilstein shocks are a good upgrade, though, 2014 new or not.

You can work the hitch adjustments using a certified scale. Same Steer Axle weight solo and hitched with WD tensioned. Same tire pressure in front and to door placard number on rear if at max.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:01 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Ed-
you didn't ever tell us what you don't like with the QX ...... but for an extra margin of safety, you can't beat a 3/4 T ...... if you will be driving a lot in the mountains and don't want to slow down too much (undefined), then consider the extra torque of a diesel ... but also realize that the operating costs for the diesel are higher than for gas.

Why not visit your dealer and ask if they have a unit (new or even used) that you may test drive with your AS attached ... can't hurt to ask and may save you thousands of $$. My dealer was very agreeable and that is just why we did not purchase a Touareg. YMMV
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:06 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Ran diesels for years,,, as I got older and the price of the diesel option got higher along with the endless smog items bolted to the diesels that seemed to raise the visits to a dealer my last pu is a gas Ram Hemi HD 1/2 ton.. With the 4.10 gears its rated at 10,000 lb GVW..
Yes it was a little weaker in Colo high country than what I was use to,, but seeing the $1 a gallon difference in fuel price helped heal that gap real fast over the past 2 years..
Empty,, our hemi can touch 20 mpg running solo,, and real happy with that being its a 4x4.. I am a little breathless with this new generation of small cube engines with turbos with such high tow ratings..
Remember there is no other way to make lasting long life power than cubic inches. Just how this 60 year old sees it anyway
Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #45

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Brownfield View Post
My head is spinning, I can't figure out the best solution to what a problem that I did not expect. I am having a terrible time trying to decide on which truck to buy and I usually don't have a problem making decisions! What tow vehicle is best for towing a 2015 28 FC? l

We are new AS owners ; picked up our 2015 28 ft. FC in August. I thought that we would be fine towing the trailer with my Infiniti QX 56 (towing capacity of 8,900 Lbs). We bought a Hensley Hitch for weight distribution and sway control (safety is a very important to us). We have towed the trailer about 4,000 miles now and we are not comfortable towing this size/weight trailer with our SUV. We began looking at trucks and I have not been able to make a decision on what truck to purchase. This is not normal for me I usually study a problem gather information and then make a decision. Not so with this decision, it is a really tough with no clear right answer. We want to use whatever truck we purchase as a "daily drive around" vehicle replacing my Infiniti QX 56 so a comfortable ride and nice interior are important. We like the 1500 GMC Denali but the 1500 does not have the towing capacity of a 2500. The size of the 1500 and its maneuverability are appealing but not the towing capacity. The 2500 has the tow capacity but it is large and from what I have been told it is cumbersome for driving around town on a daily basis. Then factor in the decision of whether to buy a large gasoline engine or a diesel engine it makes my head spin. I can not seem to find a the right or even a good answer to my dilemma. Safety towing is a very important factor, and being able to stop quickly and maneuver quickly if need be are important. I would love to hear other seasoned AS owners thoughts and suggestions on what to do. I don't want to make a costly mistake!

Ed , I run CNG and gasoline in my F-250 , 4x4 and I cross back and forth the Continental Divide from Eastern Rockies to Salt Lake City ALL THE TIME PULLING MY 30FT fc ! Sweet ride and pull . CNG sells any where from $1.05 -01.55 -1.79 TO AS HIGH AS $2.30 A gallon even when gasoline is at $3.50 A gallon . No difference in mpg between the two ! But I'm based out of Oklahoma which is an energy state !
bh119130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #46
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Toverman, go for full FALR versus air shocks. If then truck sits a couple of inches low with dead level trailer you are good. Air shocks and overloads on 1/2T work against you. Bilstein shocks are a good upgrade, though, 2014 new or not.

You can work the hitch adjustments using a certified scale. Same Steer Axle weight solo and hitched with WD tensioned. Same tire pressure in front and to door placard number on rear if at max.
Just curious, what does "full FALR" mean?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #47
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Tow Vehicle Advice 1500, 2500, diesel, gas???

Sorry. A recent term. Front Axle Load Restoration. Percentages from 50-100 cited nowadays depending on manufacturers and their guidelines. 100 and even more is what was used for a few decades.

I'd want to avoid air shocks or other crutches. Try 100% and don't sweat being down a couple of measured inches at the rear once hitched.

Level TT matters, level TV doesn't.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:25 PM   #48
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I will always recommend a 3/4 ton diesel. If your wallet doesn't want a new truck, be patient and wait for a good deal to surface on a lightly-used truck like I did. I found a 1995 Ford F250 PowerStroke that only had 70K miles on it, paid $6850 for it. Shows you what possibilities are out there. If you can do your own oil changes and fuel filter changes, you can lessen the cost of keeping up with a diesel truck. (As a note to other diesel owners: I have found that Tractor Supply's 15W-40 Traveller oil is a very good oil. A 5-gallon bucket is around $50, and Blackstone Lab tests have resulted in confirmation of a very good oil that is cheaper than big-name brands that have to support race teams and fancy, glossy advertising.) The longevity you can get out of a diesel engine is a big plus for me.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:34 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
I would get your setup looked at by a professional.

If you must change TV How about a nice used Audi Q7 ? The VW TDI V6 diesel engine is very good, and there's 20 years experience behind it. 240HP/400+lbs

If you are carrying dogs in the back, how about a Grand Caravan ? Up here when you buy a 25'+ Airstream new they throw one in for the sales tax on your Airstream. 280HP/270lbs/ft
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:10 AM   #50
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
On any air ride system turn off the pump before you raise the load leveler bars. Then pump up the system. If you do not do it in this order you will get little weight transfer to the front TV or the TT wheels. I have verified this on the CAT Scales at a truck stop. I have full air ride on my 3/4 ton DuraMax and 35' Classic SOD. It really work well and rides great. For years, I also used air boost shocks to level Travellalls and Suburbans when towing my boat. In the later case be sure you do not over gross the rear axle. If I did, I never had any damage.
On two Travelalls, two Suburbans, and two DuraMaxs, I have never had any knd of a suspension problem or needed an alignment. I drove all these vehicles any where from 100 to 150,000 miles each, including a trip to Alaska and back. If you can afford the expense of full airride, Kedleman or Talon are two I know about. They run about $6,000 installed.
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:16 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Delray Beach , Florida
Planning stages here no truck or AS yet. Cannot decide between GMC or RAM or Tundra and AS will be 28' or longer. Will travel the USA and Canada full time as Workampers.

Help, drowning in information and even more confused after attending the Tampa RV Supershow.
hudstur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:24 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Pulled our 28ft International one season with F150 Supercrew 4x4 5.4 V8 and while it pulled it ok the suspension and brakes left alot to be desired.It was maxed out.Going up steep grades the engine was taxed.Traded for a 2012 6.7 turbo diesel Ford Superduty crewcab F350 and the difference in handling was night and day.When it came time to trade the choice was easy 2015 F350 Platinum Supercrew 6.7 turbo diesel 4x4.I also use a Airsafe hitch.
Just got back from the maiden voyage and did 4500 miles all I can say is wow.When the Airstream is hooked up this truck rides like a luxury car much better than the F150 with maxed out suspension.Brakes are much better than 2012 and far surpass the F150.I like a 8ft box for my atv and misc but for alot of people it may be to much.I drive this truck every day and it is a pleasure
There are alot of people on this forum who will say a new 3/4 or 1 ton is over kill,but I would venture to say that none of them have ever pulled with a new technology Superduty.
When it came time to trade the 2012-2015 it cost the same to drive the F350 as it did when I traded F150's.Maintenance cost difference from gas to diesel is minimal.
.I don't drink the Koolaid with the light truck heavy trailer crowd as I have tried both and will not go back.
Amen, driven and towed with all of them - for ME the F350 is tops. And as I stated earlier I use the F350 Diesel every day to do home checks and deliver dogs for our new dog rescue - 50 dogs in now with 8 leaving this week, busy week.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:13 AM   #53
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
I will always recommend a 3/4 ton diesel. If your wallet doesn't want a new truck, be patient and wait for a good deal to surface on a lightly-used truck like I did. I found a 1995 Ford F250 PowerStroke that only had 70K miles on it, paid $6850 for it. Shows you what possibilities are out there. If you can do your own oil changes and fuel filter changes, you can lessen the cost of keeping up with a diesel truck. (As a note to other diesel owners: I have found that Tractor Supply's 15W-40 Traveller oil is a very good oil. A 5-gallon bucket is around $50, and Blackstone Lab tests have resulted in confirmation of a very good oil that is cheaper than big-name brands that have to support race teams and fancy, glossy advertising.) The longevity you can get out of a diesel engine is a big plus for me.
Bingo. A good used Ford Powerstroke is relatively easy to find and will do almost anything you ask it to. 4WD and the King Ranch option is very nice. I was getting 16mpg avg. They were very easy to maintain. I really have a hard time spending 50-70 thousand on a new truck. I am running the Traveler 15/40 oil in my 89 FSuperduty/460. BTW, I saw your post about fuel prices up in Harrison. Have you heard anything about Dogpatch being reopened?
Clayton
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
how about a Grand Caravan ? Up here when you buy a 25'+ Airstream new they throw one in for the sales tax on your Airstream. 280HP/270lbs/ft

I hope you are aware of this: The OP is unhappy with a 400HP/400 lb-ft of Torque tow vehicle
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:19 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
On the way home in the 2012 Dodge 2500HD Cummins to Phoenix from the dealership in Indiana, I stopped by Kelderman in Oskaloosa, IA and had them install a complete level ride airbag suspension system with on board compressor. They set the truck to ride level. A dump switch for the rear airbags lowers the tailgate over 4" so as a short person I can more easily load stuff into the truck.

The rear air bags are rated 10,000 pounds. The weak link in the load chain is the 6,010 pound rated rear axle. The factory installed Michelin tires are rated 6,010 pounds at 70 psi. I run 80 psi when towing. The front axle is rated 5,500 pounds.

Running with no trailer and very little in the back of the truck, I saw close to 20 mpg driving downhill (South) in Texas on their narrow two lane roads with posted speeds of 70 to 75 mph.

This truck is not my daily driver, so it will last a long time and should be the last truck I need to buy.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I tow with a 1/2 ton pickup. It is still a very large, long, wide, gas consuming beast that my wife refuses to drive. I like my truck for towing, but not for anything else except extreme passenger room. Weather permitting I use a motorcycle for my daily driver. If we ever get another car, I will use the Nissan Pathfinder as my daily driver. It is still not an ideal vehicle, but is is dependable and economical. It is actually too small.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
I would go for a GMC Denali 4 door short bed (6-1/2 foot) 2500. I have the same thing except a 3500 and love it my second one, I tow all kinds of trailers and I am getting a 31 foot Classic in a month or so. I have had Tahoe's and Suburban's and the Tahoe was just too short of a wheel base and that is probably the problem you have with the Infiniti.

buy a diesel in my opinion and they don't need ran hard, that is and old fashioned idea, the new diesels don't smoke. plenty of power plus you get an exhaust brake which is very nice when going down long steep grades.

ford is recalling some of the new 6.7 power stroke diesels for shutting of

GMC and Chevy diesels have a 36 gallon fuel tank..

Make your own decision as some on here seem to try and tow big trailers with tiny cars and small SUV like a X5 BMW what are an unsafe practice in my opinion. read the owners and never exceed the maximum towing capacity there is a reason for these ratings!!!

what ever you choose----

weigh the trailer loaded with water, propane and all the interior goodies and your Hensley then you can calculate the true loaded weight.

you only have one life and I believe in living safely not pushing the envelope by using toys to tow trailers.

My comments were not made to stir the pot just my experience from owning a truck and trailer repair shop and a towing business.... and towing all size and weight trailers with many different tow vehicles.

have fun and be safe. plus if it tows nice the wife will drive

who wants to run 55 on a 70 MPH expressway to tow with a tiny TV

not me as this is an accident waiting for a place to happen.
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
I hope you are aware of this: The OP is unhappy with a 400HP/400 lb-ft of Torque tow vehicle
I was aware, but did not care. The original poster was being sketchy on details.

But just to be argumentative, with the Q7 he keeps the torque, loses 500lbs in curb weight, upgrades the suspension, lowers the center of gravity, shortens the tail overhang I think. HP doesn't get you up and going.

Once upon a time they would have called such a vehicle a station wagon.

The Nissan SUV seems to be modeled on a raised brick. To each their own though.The Q7 seats 7 but actually is a little constricted inside, but is very pretty and much nicer for city driving.

As for the Grand Caravan(which would work) I admit I was just baiting. I actually think the original poster should try to fix his current setup rather than trade money for a different set of issues on the F250/350 Ram 2500 or whatever it's called.

* oh the Q7 has torque vectoring Audi AWD, that could be useful also
Old 01-19-2015, 10:03 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I was considering a F250 until I learned the shortest one made is 3 feet longer than my Expedition. I need a larger garage. Also, not sure how a really large truck = safety (other than collision with small car). Large trucks are not as nimble and so on. Their solid front and rear axles are the least grippy suspension types. It's a dillema I'll be facing to as I consider replacing my old tow vehicle in a couple years.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
I would go for a GMC Denali 4 door short bed (6-1/2 foot) 2500. I have the same thing except a 3500 and love it my second one, I tow all kinds of trailers and I am getting a 31 foot Classic in a month or so. I have had Tahoe's and Suburban's and the Tahoe was just too short of a wheel base and that is probably the problem you have with the Infiniti.

buy a diesel in my opinion and they don't need ran hard, that is and old fashioned idea, the new diesels don't smoke. plenty of power plus you get an exhaust brake which is very nice when going down long steep grades.

ford is recalling some of the new 6.7 power stroke diesels for shutting of

GMC and Chevy diesels have a 36 gallon fuel tank..

Make your own decision as some on here seem to try and tow big trailers with tiny cars and small SUV like a X5 BMW what are an unsafe practice in my opinion. read the owners and never exceed the maximum towing capacity there is a reason for these ratings!!!

what ever you choose----

weigh the trailer loaded with water, propane and all the interior goodies and your Hensley then you can calculate the true loaded weight.

you only have one life and I believe in living safely not pushing the envelope by using toys to tow trailers.

My comments were not made to stir the pot just my experience from owning a truck and trailer repair shop and a towing business.... and towing all size and weight trailers with many different tow vehicles.

have fun and be safe. plus if it tows nice the wife will drive

who wants to run 55 on a 70 MPH expressway to tow with a tiny TV

not me as this is an accident waiting for a place to happen.
Agreed. Pickup Trucks are real vehicles, everything else is a toy that can only run at 55MPH without passengers or fuel. Get as big a truck as possible, and jack it up as high as you can with as big tires as they make. I recommend a trip to the CAT dealer.

Tags