Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2021, 07:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
popka , Florida
Tow vehicle

I have read every thread on tow vehicles but am particularly interested in those towing with a Ford F-150 Eco Boost engine, max tow package. I currently have a 2012 Flying Cloud 25FB. I am currently towing with a 2004 Ford F-350 diesel. My wife is disabled and getting on an out of the beast has become a real issue. I am considering an F-150 because of its lower ride height.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
Chrishall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Chris,
I have the FC 23FB towing with a 2019 F150 V8 (non turbo is just my preference).
It does fine. We were tempted by the 25'er with the rear dinette, but decided the tongue weight and extra 700 pounds total weight would exceed my comfort range (admittedly conservative).
If you go into the mountains with a 25' trailer behind an F150, you may wish you had gone bigger. There are a lot of forum members who sing the praises of the larger trucks, and you are probably used to all the advantages of the diesel. Others will tell you you can tow with an Audi SUV.
Have you considered a truck with the power step option?
Happy Camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Well get ready because you are going to get a lot of opinions on this.
I had an F150 3.5eco, with max tow. I felt that it towed our 25’ International RB ok. No issues really as far as power or sway, maybe a little light on the braking but that’s about it. The disclaimer would be that I never towed over any mountains with it, so that to me would have been the real test. Others are going to tell you, and I will too, that the issue you will have is payload. I had the Lariat and my payload was 1683. You may can get more than that if you go with XLT and Heavy Duty Payload. We liked the features of the Lariat. For us, the 1683# was going to be just too marginal. After deducting tongue weight, hitch, my wife, dog, & cab cargo, we were not left with a whole lot for heavier items in the truck bed. Grills, firewood, generators, and the like add up weight quick. You would really need to watch it with your trailer being a FB as those tongue weights can be close to 1000#. For all of these reasons I switched to a F250 diesel, but that’s me and my situation. Yours may be different. I had a 2006 F250 btw. Kept it almost 14 years. 6.0 bulletproofed. Strong as an OX. Only reason I let it go was really to upgrade to newer technology, safety & convenience features , etc. Good Luck in whatever you decide!
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Haubstadt , Indiana
Help getting in truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishall View Post
I have read every thread on tow vehicles but am particularly interested in those towing with a Ford F-150 Eco Boost engine, max tow package. I currently have a 2012 Flying Cloud 25FB. I am currently towing with a 2004 Ford F-350 diesel. My wife is disabled and getting on an out of the beast has become a real issue. I am considering an F-150 because of its lower ride height.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
You may consider these running boards. My Mom, Dad and Mother in law all have very good results getting in and out of my Tundra. They provide a lower and wider platform than fixed running boards, are very reliable and strong and best of all, they retract out of sight 3 sec after you close the door.
https://www.amp-research.com/
Ron Glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Engine and Transmission

We tow a FC 25RB with a SUV with a 3.5 EB. While no diesel, I have been very impressed with the engine and 10 speed transmission. Lots of torque low in the rev range. When the truck is in tow mode, the transmission automatically downshifts while slowing.

I agree with the other comments about payload being the limiting factor. We cannot put a whole lot in the truck, but we prefer that limitation to getting a bigger truck.

Our truck has the electric running boards. They come out farther, go lower, and are wider than fixed running boards. They could help.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:07 AM   #6
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Glow View Post
You may consider these running boards. My Mom, Dad and Mother in law all have very good results getting in and out of my Tundra. They provide a lower and wider platform than fixed running boards, are very reliable and strong and best of all, they retract out of sight 3 sec after you close the door.
https://www.amp-research.com/
Had those on my last GMC and I miss them...
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:54 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Trophy Club , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
I am running amp research retracting running boards. Specifically installed to support two elderly mothers with significant limitations. They did the job very well
Ch47d1sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Here's another vote for the Tundra.
Although mine has running boards that do not retract. 2015.
The passenger side has a grab handle to assist getting in.
With the 5.7 engine and tow package it would tow a 25' with no issues (I have a 26')
If I wanted to nit pick, I'd say the payload is a bit light, and the gas mileage is nothing to get excited about. (I get 11.9 towing)
I have the double cab ST, 6.5' bed to maximize payload.
If I sold the Tundra, I'd buy another.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:33 AM   #9

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
Quote:
And I noticed now they have them to drop another 3".

On order!

The running boards which came on the Denali are not optimal with the height of the truck, so after 2K miles I will be selling mine...
Old 02-27-2021, 10:40 AM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Lower your existing truck, if you are otherwise happy with it. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I have the double cab ST, 6.5' bed to maximize payload.
What is the ST? I'm thinking you mean SR but possibly it's something else.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Might consider a Nissan XD. It has more payload. Kind of between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton.

I have an 2020 F150 with 3.5 Max Payload and tow my 28’ just fine. I just carry the bulky light stuff in the back of the pickup. Also I’ve gone down some pretty steep roads. I just let the engine break and it’s really not a problem.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch47d1sg View Post
I am running amp research retracting running boards. Specifically installed to support two elderly mothers with significant limitations. They did the job very well
I contacted Amp Research a couple of weeks ago asking how far down the running boards extend and haven’t yet received an answer. One would think they could answer a basic question like that, especially since that’s the problem their product is supposed to solve.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
What is the ST? I'm thinking you mean SR but possibly it's something else.
Nah, you're right. I must have had tires on the brain!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:57 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Chris,

We have a 2018 F-150 with max tow, heavy duty payload package, and the 3.5 eco boost. My payload is ~2300. Without HDPP the F-150 is a bit light on payload as others have noted. We love this truck. Have taken it through the mountains of CA, WA, OR, UT, and AZ with no issues. I'm never wanting for power. Would a heavy duty diesel pull better? Absolutely. That doesn't mean the F-150 is in any way inadequate for our purposes. YMMV.
McStreamy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
I contacted Amp Research a couple of weeks ago asking how far down the running boards extend and haven’t yet received an answer. One would think they could answer a basic question like that, especially since that’s the problem their product is supposed to solve.
Can any of you guys using the Amp Research running boards comment on how far down they drop?
Old 03-07-2021, 05:37 AM   #17

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Their regular ones came down around 8-9 inches (measuring in my mind) which on my 2014 GMC Sierra was almost exactly halfway between the ground and the cab floor. The fit was the same betwween most trucks I have seen them on.

My new GMC 2500 is quite a lot higher so I went with the XL series which comes down 3" lower.

The big thing on boards is trying to hit the halfway mark. The standard GM boards which came with my new truck are WAY too close to the cab. Getting in is OK but getting out is tough on the knees with the step down. Also, as they are non-folding, ice and mud make things interesting. The power steps are fantastic. Out of the way when not down for clearance and staying out of the goop but there when you need them.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
This is a topic of great debate. I have your trailer. I now tow with a 3/4 ton truck, which was a life changer for towing. I will never go back to a 1/2 ton truck for towing a trailer my size and weight. I like the retractable running board solution.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Their regular ones came down around 8-9 inches (measuring in my mind) which on my 2014 GMC Sierra was almost exactly halfway between the ground and the cab floor. The fit was the same betwween most trucks I have seen them on.

My new GMC 2500 is quite a lot higher so I went with the XL series which comes down 3" lower.

The big thing on boards is trying to hit the halfway mark. The standard GM boards which came with my new truck are WAY too close to the cab. Getting in is OK but getting out is tough on the knees with the step down. Also, as they are non-folding, ice and mud make things interesting. The power steps are fantastic. Out of the way when not down for clearance and staying out of the goop but there when you need them.
Thanks, Renderit. That helps a lot. We’ve had our 2019 F350 for about 18 months and can cope ok with the running boards as is. But I see the day coming when the extendable will be very useful, especially for my 5’2” wife.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:24 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
2007 25' International CCD FB
2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Chris, as others have said, the F-150 EcoBoost is a great tow vehicle. We have a model 28 and the F-150 does a great job in the mountains etc. The turbos make going thru the mountains a breeze. While someone posted that braking is 'wanting', I have never had that issue. I believe the trailer is meant to stop itself. If it is not, you either have failing brakes or the controller is not set up correctly.
I am considering a new TV for 2022 and the F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid is looking real good to me.
Good luck
DonDiego is offline   Reply With Quote