Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South Lake Tahoe , California
tow package question for 2002 V-6 Chevy Silverado

hi, i am completely new to all of this but have loved airstremes since i was a kid. i am looking to purchaswe a 2004 international ccd 22' and had a question as to what type of tow package i will need to put on my truck. i have a single cab 2002 chevy silverado, v6 standard transmission. i was told i wouldnt have a problem towing the 22' trailer with this vehicle. any information would be greatly appreciated!
ryan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm not familiar with the V-6 Silverado, but I am pretty sure that it would be under powered for even a 22' International. If it were a Safari, it might be different because they are lighter than the Internationals. But I think you will soon find that you will want more power. Yes, the truck will pull the trailer but you won't be as comfortable as you would with a V-8. I would recommend a bigger engine. Of course, I've been told I have too much truck for my trailer...I disagree.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Ryan -- Welcome to the Forums! A V6 might be able to handle a 16' but would it work with a 19'? I really can't speak from experience but it would be very underpowered. And you are at Lake Tahoe too! That's so much more than mere hills out there. Member silverback had a V8 Tundra for a 22' CCD and here is his story: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...esel-6818.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
I think that they gave you bad information. Check the towing capacity specs in the owner's manual. Compare the towing capacity to the GVW of the trailer. Remember that anything you have in the truck, including passengers, must be subtracted from towing capacity. I doubt that you will be even close.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
I believe the official towing recommendation for your truck is 5200 lbs. The recommendation is the same for the 4.8 V8, but 7600 lbs for the 5.3, and 8300 for the 5.3 4WD.

GVWR for the 22' CCD is 5600 lbs. So unless you travel very light, you will be over GM's recommendation.

From a torque standpoint, your truck would get the job done. Level highways would be no problem. You would need to have patience on more significant hills, since grades above 5% or so would put you in 2nd gear - 45 mph at 4300 rpm with 3.73:1 rear gearing is my estimate, assuming you have stock tires. Many people might find this unacceptable, but it's very much a function of how you expect your tow vehicle to perform (and how much you want to spend on a truck).

You might consider a 19' Safari, which would put you within all technical parameters, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 22' with the tandem axle would tow better, and you probably wouldn't notice the extra weight. The strain on the vehicle during 90% of driving (level highway cruising) would be equal, since aerodynamic drag would not differ between the two trailers. (They're both 8' wide.)

There's no legal issue here, simply what you're comfortable with. Of course, this all presumes properly set up hitch equipment with sway control.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan b
hi, i am completely new to all of this but have loved airstremes since i was a kid. i am looking to purchaswe a 2004 international ccd 22' and had a question as to what type of tow package i will need to put on my truck. i have a single cab 2002 chevy silverado, v6 standard transmission. i was told i wouldnt have a problem towing the 22' trailer with this vehicle. any information would be greatly appreciated!
By "standard transmission" do you mean a manual one with a clutch? If you have an automatic, you will need a transmission fluid cooler. This is a small radiator added to the cooling lines for the transmission. Next a brake controller with the appopriate wiring to a 7 conductor connector next to the hitch. Finally, a class IV receiver hitch. Any "hitch shop" can set you up with all of these. I would recommend extensions for your side mirrors.

On the trailer, you will need a weight distributing hitch. This attaches to the receiver on the truck. There are many brands and opinions. Pricing ranges from $300 to $3500.

Good luck!
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
My previous post in no way suggests that you'll need a diesel's pulling power & better high altitude performance to pull a 22' CCD. That was just one member's solution -- and he since has moved on to a 28' Airstream that certainly is in diesel domain. The biggest gas engines can pull a 28-er but are lucky to get 9mpg while towing. New Airstreams are often 1000# heavier than similar lengths of 25-30 years ago.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:32 PM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Sander17 pretty much covered the basics and all bases for towing equipment. For tow vehicle, a 1/2 ton should do it if there is sufficient torque and horsepower; no need for 3/4 ton as CanoeStream clarified. Again, it is a matter of comfort level and expectations as to whether you will need to upgrade your tow vehicle and how soon.

If you plan to take short weekend trips only or only one or two one week trips per year that involve driving directly to your destination and stopping for a week and driving home, you could probably get by with your V-6 for a couple of years. But if you are planning to full-time or take cross country trips every summer or lots of long trips that involve driving long distances, you will soon want to upgrade to more horsepower and torque so you will have a more relaxed and less tiring drive to get to your camping experiences. You don't want to decide you don't like camping when it's actually the driving you don't like and it's the camping you do like. You'd hate to invest in an Airstream and all the gear to go with it and then decide you don't enjoy it, get rid of it all, and discover you actually liked camping and got out of camping just because you had the wrong tow vehicle.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We towed several SOB's as well as a car trailer with various cars on it that were very heavy using an Astrovan and 4.3L V6, automatic with a trans cooler, without issue. We weren't in a particular hurry to get to our destinations but we also kept to 55 without issue. We live in the mountains and there were some hills that we did not stay up with the majority of the crowd, but we also were not the slowest on the road either. The van was 7 years old when we sold it and had 140,000 miles on it and a lot of those were with a trailer on the back. It is still running around although I can't say what the new owners have done to it during their ownership but I have seen it several times with a 24' boat on a trailer behind.

I'm just not of the view that bigger is always better - I know that will ruffle feathers, but you should consider trying it and if it works great. If not, then you can look at upgrading your TV. There are a lot of V6 vehicles in use today towing significant commercial loads without issue. One possibility is to rent a trailer for a couple of days, make/model doesn't really matter, but with weight and size approximate to or larger than the Airstream you are looking at. Maybe a friend has an SOB you can try as another option. Tow it around and see how comfortable you are with your TV's capability. An investment of a few hundred dollars in rental will give you an idea pretty quickly.

No one is wrong here - we each have our own comfort zone for what's acceptable to us and thus those we provide coaching to, based on our own experiences. My experience is V6's have a lot more capability than a lot of folks realize.

Good luck with your pursuit.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the forums. We're glad to ahve you with us.

The V-6 Silverado may be underpowered for the 22' Intl CCD. I'm afraid that this towing combination would be outside my towing comfort zone.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
A quick comment about TV power. My old TV was a ‘’77 Dodge ¾ ton Tradesman (no side windows or back seats) van. It had a 318 and a two-barrel with aftermarket dual exhaust. It was a very good TV, but I bent the gas pedal holding it to the floor. A step up to a four barrel improved things immensely. My towing gas mileage actually went up.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:22 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South Lake Tahoe , California
Thank You!

Thank You Everybody For All The Feed Back! I Really Appreciate It! This Issue Is Obviously Something I Need To Research More To Decide Which Model I Can Get. If Anyone Out There Is Using A V6 To Tow Please Let Me Know Your Story.
Thanks Again!
ryan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Listen

Hey Ryan
Listen to these guys...they know what they're talking about!
Our dealer told us we could tow our 25 footer with our Saab 97!
After purchasing we found this sight.
In a rush we bought a brand new 97 GMC YukonXL.....WRONG
We now tow with a Ford F250! A very costly mistake.
Do your reasearch here and don't listen to a salesman wanting to make a sale.
Good luck!
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #14
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
With the weight of the Airstream you're interested in and the tow limit of the V6 Chevy, you'll do fine... on a long, flat road to no-where... If you decide to go anywhere where there's any topography at all, you'll have some fumin' folks behind you not anywhere as interested in the scenery as they'll think you are (not to mention the wear & tear on the engine/transmission). And some folks can be downright rude when passing on a hill...

Also, think about entering highways, getting on with the flow of traffic and so on. Think also about wet ground/mud... rain sometimes happens when camping and always when you're breaking down camp and taking off. Need traction and power to pull on sometimes slippery ground.

If you decide to keep the Chevy, then get a smaller, lighter Airstream. If "smaller, lighter" isn't good for y'all, then get a bigger truck. We've had both worlds and being undepowered is NOT a good time and sometimes, is dangerous. Best to have what you need when you need it, because that's when it counts.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
Hey Ryan
Listen to these guys...they know what they're talking about!
Our dealer told us we could tow our 25 footer with our Saab 97!
After purchasing we found this sight.
In a rush we bought a brand new 97 GMC YukonXL.....WRONG
We now tow with a Ford F250! A very costly mistake.
Do your reasearch here and don't listen to a salesman wanting to make a sale.
Good luck!
Just out of curiosity how did the Saab do when you first towed the 25??
Old 08-14-2007, 09:41 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
FWIW: I just returned from a two week trip cross-country... Went across Iowa and Nebraska... Anyone think that's FLAT??? NOT! Don't kid yourself. The terrain we all attribute to being the "flat" lands out there are still "hilly". Even the interstate has rolling hills that eat up your speed. If you're under powered you're going to be "shifting" continually all the way across the country. No problem if you have the patience and time to relax and take your time, but if you have any sense of time constraint (actual or percieved) you might find the experience just a bit too frustrating.

Something to consider... If you do have the patience and are NOT on a schedule... Vehicles are expensive and unless you're a full-timer, let's face it... we don't tow enough to really justify the cost. This really boils down to this... Do you really have time issues/patience which require a new vehicle? - or - Are you willing to make the investment regardless? You can probably tow with just about anything close to your truck, it just comes down to if it's important to you to keep up with traffic. To me... it is. I love my F-350 Diesel! 13-14 MPG at 70MPH while towing my 19'. Don't even have to think about how hard I am pushing the truck... it just doesn't care... You've no doubt thought of all of this already... Just some additional pointless advise.
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:07 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Hey Road Ruler
We actually had the good sense not to even try towing with the Saab. Realized how ridiculous it was to believe the dealer and went out and bought the Yukon. After taking the Binki2 out a couple of times and up some steep climbs traded the Yukon in for the F250. Now we LOVE camping!
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I agree with most of what has been said. I note that you live in a mountainous area. You'll quickly sour on towing if you go with your combo. Having too little TV can also scare the daylights out of you and might intimidate you from continuing with your Airstream life. That would be sad!

Gene
Old 08-22-2007, 07:56 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
I am towing the 19 ft Bambi with a 4.0 liter V-6 rated at 207 horsepower (Ford Ranger 4x4) with 5-speed automatic transmission and 4.11 rear ends. Factory spec says 5,600 lbs towing capacity for this combo.

With the 19 ft, plus all my junk, 2 people, and the topper on the truck (that alone is 250 lbs) I figure I am right around 5,000 lbs when I hit the road. On the level it is just fine and here on the East coast there is really no problem with the "mountains" around here because they are only 3,000 feet high.

But last year we made a run out to Colorado/Wyoming and the problem comes in once you get up to 5 or 6,000 feet altitude and the horsepower starts to drop in the engine. That is where I started to notice (and wish) that I had some more ponies under the hood. Yes we made it up all the Interstate hills just fine, but there were times we were over in the slow lane with the flashers on at 40 mph when I would have normally been running 60 with the rest of the traffic.

I have been on the highway from Sacramento up to Tahoe (not with the Airstream though) and that is a pretty steep run and not one I would enjoy pulling my 19 footer up. It would do it, but it wouldn't be a pleasant, enjoyable trip.

I do like my Ranger, but once it has passed its prime the replacement tow vehicle will be 3/4 ton with either a whopper V-8 or a diesel.

best regards.
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:07 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Hi again, one other thought I had this morning was that if your tow vehicle is just a 2-wheel drive then there are times when there might be more of an issue than just horsepower.

Case in point is last summer I was at a National Park here in Maryland (Catoctin Mountain - which I know would just be a small hill out west) but anyway, they call it a mountain out here. It has windy roads thru the park with numberous tight switch-backs, so tight in fact that they have signs limiting park entry to a max trailer length of 22 feet (but I have seen some 30's in there).

Anyway, I was heading thru there for a weekend of camping, towing my 19 ft with full fresh water tank and normal stuff so I had a good 5,000+ lb boat anchor on the back of my 3,500 pound Ranger. The problem came in as I was rounding one of the tight switch-backs at about 10 mph and then had to immediately go up a steep grade -- I guess 10~15+ percent grade for maybe 200 yards or so. I stepped down on the gas but with the trailer weight, the grade and the lite weight of the rear end of a mid-size pickup truck what happened was the tires just broke loose and started spinning (this was on blacktop with some leaves and loose gravel etc on top). So I ended up coming to a stop and then starting back out, but I could not get started out in two wheel drive because the tires would break loose and spin before I could get the trailer to start rolling. So, luckily my truck is a 4x4 so by engaging 4-wheel drive so the front axle of the pickup was also pulling I had enough traction to get back going again. If I would have only had two wheel drive I might still be there.

I guess that is a little rambly, but my point is in additional to just the horsepower issue there are times when the lighter weight of a small/mid-size truck can also be a dissadvantage especially if just 2-wheel drive.

regards, Dave.
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote