Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tow Mirrors - Needed on a Tundra?

I have a set of the flip-up ones on my Tacoma. Work well for towing and I got the ones with turn signals and heaters just to add to the install fun.

The convex spot is set up so I can see the edge of the trailer well and the flat part let’s me see quite far behind the trailer sides.

That said, I am adding a set of hard-wired rear and side cameras to the Airstream to cover the rear view and turn clearances better. These cameras are powered from the monitor in the truck, so they don’t depend on the standard umbilical. It has its own.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucos View Post
...I then measured how wide the mirrors were from side to side . I then opened the windows and measured the Tundra standard side to side and found that the Tundra was actually wider the the 4rnnr with extendables!
I have to be careful going through things like drive-thru ATM's because the extra mirrors won't clear.
They look so normal I forget to take them off. As a matter of fact, I've been back for more than a week and the hitch and mirrors are still on the Tundra. I have a large mesh bag that I store the mirrors in the garage hanging from a hook. They don't seem to need much adjustment from trip to trip.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Ditto

I use the same on my Tundra. I highly recommend extension mirrors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The first day I was so excited I forgot the mirrors and was surprised how well I could still see.
However I bought the Tundra specific mirrors by CIPA. Amazon has them for about $35. They fit well (once you figure out the insert thingy.) They don't vibrate, and they look good.
My only criticism is the passenger side magnifies. That's good for seeing far behind you, but it makes vehicles appear to be closer than they really are. It also makes it very, very difficult to adjust by yourself since a tiny move makes a huge difference.
But, I'd buy them again.
Wow! New $55.....but I just looked at the Amazon Warehouse and they have a set for $18!!! Everything I've bought from Amazon Warehouse has been perfect. I guess it's returns and damaged packaging.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #24
Peter D

2019 27' Globetrotter
San Luis Obispo , California
Towing Mirrors

This will not address Tundra-specific applications but I have to give a shout out to the utility of my Dodge Tow mirrors (2002 Ram Cummins 3/4 Ton Pickup) which just slip over the OEM models and extend the width by about 6" and allow for the driver to "see around" the trailer. I also have a backup camera for my 27FB.

This "style" of slip on looks factory-correct; has a twist tight butterfly screw tightener and takes seconds to attach and looks stock except is quite wide. My wife and passenger has voiced protest over the blockage of views of the landscape going by, as you look out the window...
MetalMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamDog View Post
Tow/see fine with my 2018 oem Tundra mirrors.
ditto...

Towed a 2006 23 foot Safari... with a 2006 Tundra and a 2008 and a 2012 and factory mirrors did fine.

Towed a 2014 25 foot International which is 6 inches wider than the 23 foot with the 2012 Tundra and factory mirrors did fine.

Towed the 2014 25 foot International with the 2012 Tundra and the weight fully loaded was riding on flat leaf springs and the factory mirrors were fine. Traded in the 2012 Tundra on a 2016 Ford F350 diesel to handle the 25 foot better. The Ford had the extended mirrors, so could do as I wanted. My wife in the passenger seat liked me to extend the mirrors so SHE could see better... Make sure you bring them back in, if anyone has the extended electric mirrors, so you do not hit things when parking without the trailer.

I always adjusted my Tundra mirrors where I could move my head to see the side of the trailer on both sides, but I wanted to see who was driving in the passing lane or when returning back into the lane I left. Backing up you can watch your sides and a second person in the back watching the rear...

The clip on mirrors vibrate so you cannot see well, anyways. Was suckered into buying them, they did me no good and I returned them back to the dealer within one hour.

At first you are not sure one way or the other, like myself. Selling you a rear camera and attaching mirrors are just good $$$ add ons for the dealer.

Move your head to get side views and lane views. It becomes second nature. Some towing trailers are lousy drivers and worse towing. If you fall among this group... do whatever makes you feel good. Many get their Airstream smacked up from poor judgment... not mirrors.

To see somewhat behind your trailer... you quickly tweak the steering wheel when moving, the trailer moves a few inches where you can see further behind while on the road.

You can get the mirrors. You can replace the factory large mirrors with some that extend for your mental comfort, but for 13 years with traveling narrow mountain one lane roads and on Interstate Highways... you will get by with the mirrors you now have.

Those who do not have someone helping to back into a RV Park site... need a camera, but a tree branch above your trailer will get you first, mirrors or not.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
This is what I got, they we’re easy. https://youtu.be/X6rCgtQ-IGA
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
austin , Texas
I i
ejami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:53 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
austin , Texas
I really loved the tow mirrors on my F-250 so without batting an eye, I ordered tow mirrors when buying my 2019 Tundra from the dealer (supposedly at dealer's cost plus labor). They're not as tall as the F-250 tow mirrors but they can extend which the F-250 mirrors could not. I can see all the way down the sides of the AS so now I just need the rearview camera. You do lose functions when transitioning to the tow mirrors such as blind spot alert but the tow mirrors did come with the defroster.
ejami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1986 32' Limited
Florence , Kentucky
Tundra tow mirrors

I used the standard Tundra mirrors in our 68 25 foot tradewind, and did fine. Until recently we acquired an 86 32 foot limited, and I saw the need to have longer sight line while doing gradual turns to the right and left. I bought the slide ons and they are efficient.
Streamin68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #30
Coast to Coast

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Way better with after market

We too have a 2016 Tundra pulling a 2016 26U, of course they have the wider body. We tried several clip on mirrors and eventually installed after market mirrors that pull out to provide complete view of side of trailer and road. Toyota wouldn’t even talk with us about a mirror change so we went to a place that installed after markets. A little pricey but well worth it. Can buy and install yourself. They adjust from inside but do not heat.
Two Peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
McStreamy

Thanks for the post. I am in the same situation. I have looked at the Trail Ridge tow mirrors from 1A Auto. They seem to have good reviews and are about 1/3 the price of OEM. If anybody has tried this brand please chime in here and give a brief review.

THX
MC
I got the Trail Ridge mirrors after a lot of research when I wanted to upgrade the stock mirrors on my F150. They’re high quality and was only a 30 minute job with good on-line directions/videos.

Unless you want to go to a lot of trouble running wires in doors and drilling holes in the trim, don’t waste your money on a version with more features than your current mirrors, at least on a F150. I was hoping Ford would have installed the wires for more fully capable mirrors but they don’t.

A1 sells these in a lot of flavors all the way up to those that have motorized folding. To make that work, though, you are doing a fair amount of work running new wires and installing new switches.

These tow mirrors ARE big, just like the Ford towing mirrors, so there will be times you’ll want to fold them in for tight parking spaces.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
North Lauderdale , Florida
I have a 2014 Tundra and tow a 23FB with back up camera on the trailer and standard mirrors on the tundra. I’ve never run into any visibility issues. That said, because I haven’t used larger mirrors doesn’t mean they are not better. I just haven’t felt the need for them.
Lag323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lag323 View Post
I have a 2014 Tundra and tow a 23FB with back up camera on the trailer and standard mirrors on the tundra. I’ve never run into any visibility issues. That said, because I haven’t used larger mirrors doesn’t mean they are not better. I just haven’t felt the need for them.
I, too, didn’t NEED them. It was more I didn’t want to have to worry as we travel from state to state that we’d be out of compliance of some kind obscure regulation.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Those who do not have someone helping to back into a RV Park site... need a camera, but a tree branch above your trailer will get you first, mirrors or not.
I added the Garmin BC-30 rear camera to my GPS (RV770). It shows everything behind you, you definitely see traffic.
Although it's handy for backing, it's not as handy as I hoped. It's hard to tell an odd shaped shadow from a bush or rock.
I still find there's no substitute for getting out to look.
I always appreciate fellow campers volunteering to spot for me, and I always say, "Just don't let me back into anything."

As far as the tow mirrors, they let me see cars coming up from a 100 yards back, without the extra mirrors I can see along the side of the trailer.
If I full timed I'd convert to the factory extendable mirrors. For my trips, the CIPA's do great.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:49 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Our Chevy has pull out mirrors and the Airstream has a back view camera. The truck also has a back up camera and we've decided we will never be without one again!

The pull out mirrors mean a slight delay if you forget, either to pull them out or push them in. Far better than our olden days where one set of clip on tow mirrors were apparently left in a camp spot and not missed for about 75 miles. They might actually have been stolen as no one remembered seeing them as we left our camp...but the driver didn't really notice he couldn't see until later.

The Airstream back camera lets us see whatever is behind us clearly. Today it was another Airesteam with the same type of tow vehicle...kinda fun, although we would have loved to stop and chat that's pretty hard to do when you are on the highway.

And, the back up camera on the truck? That one literally saved our marriage. My husband can now back into the hitch without having to rely on my coaching, which was pretty vague as I am left/right handicapped and he was apparently unable to determing what 2" meant. All I have to do is be sure the trailer hitch is high enough to clear the ball -no right/left stuff or muddled communications. And bless the strainger who took me aside and said "try passenger side/ driver side" it might be clearer.

And the point of all this? Try stuff out and if there is a lot of yelling or problems, do something else. You might be able to borrow tow mirrors or try a short tow with a vehicle that has them. We are all different and we generally work until we solve the problem.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I cannot stress how awesome the McKesh strap on tow mirrors are.
My husband who does all the driving says he loves them and would not tow without them.

You can purchase them on the hensley hitch website.

Once you get the hang of it, it only takes about 90 seconds to get them on the truck.

We have a 2014 Tundra short bed crew cab max.

When we had a 22 sport we used the cipa mirrors that went onto the OEM mirrors. They didn't give enough field of vision for the wider 25 we got after that.

Now we have a new 27 that came with a rear view camera. We love the rear view camera, but we still want the McKesh mirrors and the convex spots for seeing traffic as it is merging from on-ramps or other lanes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0289.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	343656   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4053.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	343657  

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
When I had a Tundra to tow my 25 and then 30 footer, I installed these https://www.1aauto.com/2007-19-toyot...UaAnM-EALw_wcB
they definitely were worth it. very easy to install
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:22 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Wow! Thank you to everyone for the responses. Lots of great experiences and suggestions. You've given me lots to think about. I always heard that the Airstream community was awesome and you all did not disappoint!
McStreamy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:15 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
I cannot stress how awesome the McKesh strap on tow mirrors are.
. . .
Now we have a new 27 that came with a rear view camera. We love the rear view camera, but we still want the McKesh mirrors and the convex spots for seeing traffic as it is merging from on-ramps or other lanes.
Exactly!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Thanks for the response. Did you have any vibration or shaking with the new tow mirrors?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote