Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Tow Mirrors - Needed on a Tundra?

We’re picking up our new-to-us Flying Cloud 25FBQ next month and we’re trying to sort out things we do/don’t need. Right now, my research topic is tow mirrors. I’ve pulled boats and some small cargo trailers before but have never pulled any sort of TT. I have a 2016 Tundra with the standard mirrors which seem to be pretty large, especially compared to the standard options on other brands. I know there are a bunch of tow mirror options ranging from slide/clip on all the way up to new OEM. It seems clear that any sort of tow mirror will provide increased visibility – but how much of a difference do they make vs standard Tundra mirrors? Do any of you fellow Tundra owners just use the standard mirrors?

I’m not trying to be cheap, just haven’t seen another thread on the subject and am curious about experiences from the group. Thanks in advance!
McStreamy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I used "Cipa" slip on mirrors on my Lincoln Navigator for ten years. They work and are better than nothing. I now tow with an F-150 with factory tow mirrors. I would never use slip-ons on a vehicle in which factory tow mirrors are available.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Depending on your state, tow mirrors are actually required legally. I didn’t know this and towed for a year with my F150 with standard mirrors and felt fine about it. We have a backup camera, though. I have since replaced my mirrors with aftermarket towing mirrors. The slide on ones are another option though I found my brain didn’t process that view as well as I would like.

This thread has much more detail. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...rs-189876.html
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:31 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Pleasant City , Ohio
I use them on our tundra - a big improvement in my opinion. I swapped the standard mirrors for oem tow mirrors.
KCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Ford does NOT offer tow mirrors on their Expedition series, eve with q tow package, per dealer, Cipa does not offer them.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStreamy_ View Post
. . .
. . . just haven’t seen another thread on the subject and am curious about experiences from the group.
. . .
Welcome to the forum! Good link in this earlier post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
. . .
This thread has much more detail. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...rs-189876.html
FYI -- using the desktop version of this site, the new search function in the blue box above works great.

"tow mirrors" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=tow+...com&gws_rd=ssl

Apparently the search function using the App is not so hot.

IMO any increase in driver visibility, especially behind the trailer, is worth the cost/effort. Tow mirrors are further apart laterally than your OEM mirrors . . . a good thing.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Get a review camera. Combined with our regular mirrors you will have absolutely no blind spot.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:09 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Remember that your trailer is the maximum width permitted on U.S. highways by the DOT. I also have one, and it's tough to see what's happening back there. In my opinion, extended mirrors are a must and, as others stated, are required by several/many states.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:39 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
I tow with a Tundra also. When I bought my A/S used, the previous owner gave me a set of Milenco mirrors. They are now called Aero I believe. They have performed very well and I recommend them if you do not want to spend the money on factory tow mirror replacements.

They are required by state law here in Pa.

Safe Travels!
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:21 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
we have a 2016 Tundra pulling a 2005 25 Safari. Both bought gently used. The truck came with the standard mirrors. I could not see anything down the sides of the coach nor anything in the rear so I purchased replacement pull out tow mirrors hoping for a better result.

I still cannot see down the sides as I did pulling our 74 Tradewind, nor can I see behind. I think this is due to the Safari being 8'6" wide. I can see traffic in the side lanes much better. The only way I can see down the sides or to the rear is when I enter a slight bend in the road. I still would recommend the tow mirrors because you can see side traffic much better.

As far as seeing whats behind I installed a rear view camera on the coach wired to the center running light on the back. That means we have to tow with the headlights on which I did before anyway.

You could do a little better If you used an additional mirror such as the McKesh mirrors but then the truck and mirrors would be so wide that may cause other issues.

Hope this helps.
Flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The first day I was so excited I forgot the mirrors and was surprised how well I could still see.
However I bought the Tundra specific mirrors by CIPA. Amazon has them for about $35. They fit well (once you figure out the insert thingy.) They don't vibrate, and they look good.
My only criticism is the passenger side magnifies. That's good for seeing far behind you, but it makes vehicles appear to be closer than they really are. It also makes it very, very difficult to adjust by yourself since a tiny move makes a huge difference.
But, I'd buy them again.
Wow! New $55.....but I just looked at the Amazon Warehouse and they have a set for $18!!! Everything I've bought from Amazon Warehouse has been perfect. I guess it's returns and damaged packaging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81TxhHXPfWL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	343613  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I am towing a 25FB with my Tundra and am a fan of the factory mirrors. Years ago I towed an SOB with a 4Runner and used an add on mirror, CIPA I believe. I really did not like all the hassle with an add on. I do believe they are better these days but mine wasn't so dependable. I purchased a new Tundra in 2008 and with the tow package the tow mirrors were standard. I now have upgraded (?) to a 2017 and I had to pay extra for the tow mirrors. I would never tow without them or something like them. Granted, they do not give you a straight line of sight down the sides but any mirror that would do that would have to be way out there for the wider Airstreams. With the lower wide optical mirror, I can see the lanes of traffic both left and right. This is a huge thing for me. Changing lanes on the freeway is much more safe for us now.

I would look into the factory tow mirrors. They are heated and adjustable like your current ones are.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Just read Mollysdad's post. I had CIPA mirrors but mine were much older and were held on by straps. These look much easier but mine did share something in common with his. Adjusting them was not an easy thing. Each time I put them on I had to dial them in. And, mine would shake loose when traveling down the road. Loose enough to have to restrap them and readjust the mirrors. For $50 they sound like quite the deal. This might be a way to go if you don't want to do factory ones.

He mentioned the "objects look farther" issue with the right hand side. This drove me crazy. Factory mirrors have a large top half with true reflection. The lower half is for blind spot views but these smaller mirrors do have to be adjusted by hand. They don't shake loose though so once a season is just about all it takes.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:27 AM   #14
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
When i first got my trailer I towed the first season with a 2008 4runner ....I used add on mirror that had a suction cup .... they worked ok but one would occasionally come loose (they had a safety strap...LOL). In 2015 I bought a 2010 Tundra Limited at the time I wondered as you are wether I needed extensions.... my tundra had a the tow package but for some reason didn't have the factory extendable mirrors. I mounted the suction extendables on the 4rnnr and opened the windows ...I then measured how wide the mirrors were from side to side . I then opened the windows and measured the Tundra standard side to side and found that the Tundra was actually wider the the 4rnnr with extendables!
I have towed the airstream without extensions ever since with no hassles. I can see traffic etc fine. I dont have any rear cameras. Not sure about the width of your trailer compared to mine ....any extra width would change the issue.
If I changed to another Tundra (which I love) I would get the factory extendables though.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #15
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
Tow/see fine with my 2018 oem Tundra mirrors.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
1958 18' "Footer"
Fort Worth , TX
We tow our 25' FC with a 2011 Tundra. Bought these on Amazon ($158 for both mirrors) and they are great! Easy to install yourself and look factory. I didn't like the look of the "attachment" extensions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
madmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
I think it depends on how often you intend on towing. For occasional use you can get away with the add on type such as Cipa. If you plan on more extended use get the extendable tow mirrors.

If you go to the extendable, you can get them at websites such as E-Trailer for less than the Toyota mirrors, but you may need to give up some options.
Flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

I used strap on tow mirrors with my 2001 Tundra Ltd (like an extended cab) to pull our 2012 FC23FB. They really made a difference IMO.
Then, we needed more interior room in the truck, so I traded for a 2016 Tundra Crewcab. The strap on mirrors didn't fit. I considered replacing with OEM tow mirrors, but I'd lose the blind spot monitor, because the mirrors need the power to extend and collapse.
To my surprise, the standard mirrors on the '16 gave me better vis than the '01 w/tow mirrors.
We added a rear observation camera (ROC) last year, and I enjoy the comfort of that little extra piece is information. But, when I experienced trailer light issues recently, and could only get turn signals without head or running lights, I was okay towing without the camera, which gets power from the trailer tail lights.
My too sense.
Rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Dayton , Tennessee
Angry Tundra

My Tundra has the large 9"x9" OEM tow mirrors that extend, and visibility is
very good. I have tried the smaller OEM mirror and found that backing up
was much more difficult using this mirror on another Tundra.
sbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
McStreamy

Thanks for the post. I am in the same situation. I have looked at the Trail Ridge tow mirrors from 1A Auto. They seem to have good reviews and are about 1/3 the price of OEM. If anybody has tried this brand please chime in here and give a brief review.

THX
MC
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote