Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2019, 07:54 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
If you lived in northern states that freeze you would only use park brake one time as it can and will freeze then you are no go, but ok in warm weather. I use tow haul every time hooked to any trailer, trans temp stays cooler plus all things others have posted
Until November 1 of last year I lived in New York all of my 56 years. I know freezing weather. And I used my parking brake Every. Single. Time I parked my vehicles. Iím not saying it canít happen, but having my parking brake freeze never happened to me.

And even if youíve had it happen, I would argue that if you only do it while hitching/unhitching, youíre increasing safety with zero chance of freezing your parking brake in the 15 minutes or so it takes to hitch/unhitch.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:28 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Denver , Colorado
Engine brake

I use the tow/haul when towing(Ď18 F-250 diesel). I am still confused as to when to use the engine brake (on or auto) and cannot be used in conjunction with tow/haul?
RChrisClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:05 AM   #63
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

At least on my F-250 tow haul can be engaged at any time. It is "mild mannered" and does not do any alarming things. Engine braking works with or without tow haul engaged. That's all on a 2017 gas engine truck. No idea what years it also applies to.

Gas milage wise, *towing* cuts my gas milage. The setting on the button has zero measurable impact if I'm pulling the trailer. Milage varies more than a little when I'm in the mountains vs on a flat straight drive. It also seems to get worse when I drive faster .... how weird ....

Indeed the full up F-250 is a bit of overkill for a 30' trailer. That's just fine with me. Things do not overheat if I forget the button. I also do not struggle going up or down hills with or without it. It's a nice feature and unless I forget it, it's on whenever I'm towing. Pushing the button is a *lot* cheaper than rebuilding the drive train at 100K miles

Not quite sure what tow haul does when you are in 4 wheel low for 20 miles. I sort of forgot to check if it was still engaged during that particular towing adventure. Seems I was a bit distracted by the driving conditions .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #64
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver , Washington
More to tow haul

Our 2017 Ram 1500 eco diesel has the tow haul. I have found that it tows great without using the feature. I do however engage when in the mtns and mostly for the downgrade transmission braking. It donít see the need to run all day in 7 th gear at higher rpm when 8 th gear is there and another at least 2 mpg. I watch my engine and trans temps and pressures at all times and there is not a hint of difference in or out if tow haul. The beauty of ram is to have all these gauges. The shift mapping for modern trucks will put you and keep you in the gear optimal for the performance of the situation. Logially back off the accellerator and the trans will up shift thinking you do not need power. Pushing the accelleratorr and you will down shift and stay there until the engine realizes you again are backing off like topping angrade or hill. My understanding is that if you are really towing a big load and your performance is lacking and or your transmission is ďhuntingĒ and shifting often you will benefit from the tow haulís programing. Again everyone has their own way and that is all fine
Marko Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #65
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
The problem is, you not getting a FORD

I always push TOW/HAUL when I am TOWING something and leave it be.

KISS
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:33 AM   #66

Rincon , Georgia
I have a 2006 Ram 3500 with 210,00 miles with the same set up. I always tow in the "Tow/Haul" mode and routinely switch back and forth in normal driving just to exercise the valve bodies in the transmission.

Cummins Power simply cannot be beat. But please, don't take my word for it, ask somebody who builds heavy duty commercial trucks ... FORD, maybe?

Just to show you what FORD thinks of their own engines, GOOGLE "Did Ford ever put a Cummins in their trucks?"
"Yes Ford did at one time own a piece of Cummins. During the mid 1990s all the way up through 2015 you could indeed get a Ford with a Cummins Engine. ... Cummins engines were installed in Ford's heavy duty F650/F750 line of trucks."
Herk1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
From what I understand the Tow/Haul button in my 2016 RAM also tells the engine control unit to downshift on grades while towing and activate the anti-sway features, among other things.

This is my experience with my 2017 Ram 1500. It is particularly noticeable on long steep grades. I wish it were the default when the trailer is connected, as I have engage it after every fuel or rest stop. Iíve found no problem with engaging it on the fly.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:42 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko Polo View Post
Our 2017 Ram 1500 eco diesel has the tow haul. I have found that it tows great without using the feature. I do however engage when in the mtns and mostly for the downgrade transmission braking. It donít see the need to run all day in 7 th gear at higher rpm when 8 th gear is there and another at least 2 mpg. I watch my engine and trans temps and pressures at all times and there is not a hint of difference in or out if tow haul. The beauty of ram is to have all these gauges. The shift mapping for modern trucks will put you and keep you in the gear optimal for the performance of the situation. Logially back off the accellerator and the trans will up shift thinking you do not need power. Pushing the accelleratorr and you will down shift and stay there until the engine realizes you again are backing off like topping angrade or hill. My understanding is that if you are really towing a big load and your performance is lacking and or your transmission is ďhuntingĒ and shifting often you will benefit from the tow haulís programing. Again everyone has their own way and that is all fine

My 2017 RAM 1500 Hemi towing 6000 lbs does indeed use 8th gear in Tow/Haul and will also go into Eco mode on flats with wind astern.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Denver , Colorado
Hi Bob,

I always appreciate your knowledge. Can you tell me if pushing the engine exhaust brake whether, on or auto is something to also use with tow/haul or should that be a separately used item?
RChrisClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:54 AM   #70
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RChrisClark View Post
Hi Bob,

I always appreciate your knowledge. Can you tell me if pushing the engine exhaust brake whether, on or auto is something to also use with tow/haul or should that be a separately used item?
Hi

If your truck is set up with engine braking, it's better to use it than wear out the normal brakes. That's true towing or not towing. Is it always best? Well that's a different question.

If you are going fast enough down a steep enough hill, slamming on just the truck brakes is not a real good idea. You want the trailer to slow down as well (and stay behind you). If things start to feel wobbly, use the regular brakes (or give the brake controller paddles a *light* squeeze).

Another case where one might pause and think is conditions that have overheated the transmission and or engine. In that case "pull over and cool off" is the best advice. Tossing engine breaking in on top of overheat ... not a real good idea.

Lots of fun !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:56 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
[QUOTE=Steven62;2257402]So you are able to tow a 27FB with a RAM 1500?
Why would you be surprised? It is within a couple hundred pounds of your 25 and has a lighter tongue weight than the 25.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:22 PM   #72
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Monterey , California
best question Iíve seen in awhile. The first question they asked me after i lunched my tranny was ďdo you use the tow/haul mode when dragging that Airstream around?Ē One thing it does is keeps the internals from hardshifting up and down when going up long grades while towing. The trannies are bare minimum from the factory and can take some load, but not a lot for long periods of hard driving. Replaced it with a Jasper and very happy. Expensive, but a worthwhile upgrade for me. Save your tranny and use the tow button. Yes, the gas mileage will suffer a bit.
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Tow haul

Quote:
Originally Posted by etojeo View Post
Okay, here we go newbie stupid question #2...
I have a 2019 Ram 2500 (4x4 Crew Cab) with a 6.4 L Hemi towing a 25 foot Flying Cloud. I know the Tow Haul button changes the shift points (holds them longer?) but once I get rolling and up to speed, does that really matter?
Should I push it in and just leave it in for the entire duration of the tow or just when accelerating to speed?
Advice and knowledge is welcome! Thanks
If you got that rig, I would be more concerned with jerking the running gear out of that airstream. Leave it off run overdrive flat out. If your not on a fairly steep long grade you want need it. When climbing a long grade you can shift to 5 th before you start to loose power then when you top go back to overdrive. A Jake break would be good for down shifting. Slowing it down go down steep grade or just saving the breaks. Not sure if your rig is diesel. Mine is. If not use tow haul in a high gear to shift to a more aggressive stop. I hate tow haul never use it. I don't like the way it treats the tranny. Hope this helps you. You got plenty of truck for pulling anywhere. I pull a 31' airstream with a 6.7 diesel Jake break.
Okiegent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:30 PM   #74
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegent View Post
If you got that rig, I would be more concerned with jerking the running gear out of that airstream. Leave it off run overdrive flat out. If your not on a fairly steep long grade you want need it. When climbing a long grade you can shift to 5 th before you start to loose power then when you top go back to overdrive. A Jake break would be good for down shifting. Slowing it down go down steep grade or just saving the breaks. Not sure if your rig is diesel. Mine is. If not use tow haul in a high gear to shift to a more aggressive stop. I hate tow haul never use it. I don't like the way it treats the tranny. Hope this helps you. You got plenty of truck for pulling anywhere. I pull a 31' airstream with a 6.7 diesel Jake break.
A 6.4 Hemi is a gasoline engine.

No Jake brakes available on pickups, but some have exhaust brakes.

The tow haul mode is designed to extend the life of the transmission.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:31 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
We have tow/haul on our F-250 gas and use it most for downhill brake assist. Once in a while used for uphill (I-81 through PA), but the engine is screaming when it upshifts, so we use it sparingly. We tow a 31' Excella @7450lbs loaded. Also, tow/haul is flakey for us when using it with cruise control in semi-hilly areas due to the shift point rpms to maintain set speed. But again, for brake assist, it's helpful!!
im
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:48 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
A 6.4 Hemi is a gasoline engine.

No Jake brakes available on pickups, but some have exhaust brakes.

The tow haul mode is designed to extend the life of the transmission.
Works the same. Designed to slow a truck down diesel big rig or pickup. My tow haul on with Jake brake on will slow you down quick. Shifting is to aggressive for me. As for saving your tranny. I have pulled mine with this 2008 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7 diesel for a long time all over. All up through Colorado . Tow haul would have been a mess up in Brekenridge.Jake break or exhaust brake to slow down. Run flat out with overdrive. I have seen eighty year old men that’s been pulling airstreams 30 years pull them with small block V8’s and 6cylinder engines as long as you stay away from the continental divide. It don’t take much vehicel to pull a airstream and be safe. It takes a good driver with common sense that’s about it. I see fellows buy a big truck to pull them. All you really need is to be able to stop the push of the trailer.The pulling part is easy. You will always find a variety of answers to your questions here. It will be up to you to figure out what to do with them. Getting out there and pulling will answer them quicker than anything. Be safe and have fun.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
My 2016 Ford F350 Power Stroke will slow the downhill speed with engine compression and auto downshifting in Tow/Haul mode, but if speed continues to build, engaging the exhaust brake slows speed further. The higher the engine RPMs the more back pressure with the exhaust brake engaged.
In all cases, going downhill, the engine and tranny temperatures will go down.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #78
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Covington , Ohio
I wouldn’t think of towing and not engaging tow/haul mode. Our newer tow vehicles are engineering marvels that keep us safer and make driving easier. Tow/haul mode more efficiently utilizes our engines, transmissions and brakes. We just started towing with a new Ford Expedition with the 3.5 Ecoboost with twin turbos and the 10 speed transmission. It is a major upgrade from our 2013 F150 with a 5.0 V8 with a 6 speed transmission. I find I am more relaxed while driving as the technology seems to be doing more of the work, up hill and downhill. I definitely feel safer.
donrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegent View Post
Works the same. Designed to slow a truck down diesel big rig or pickup. My tow haul on with Jake brake on will slow you down quick. Shifting is to aggressive for me. As for saving your tranny. I have pulled mine with this 2008 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7 diesel for a long time all over. All up through Colorado . Tow haul would have been a mess up in Brekenridge.Jake break or exhaust brake to slow down. Run flat out with overdrive. I have seen eighty year old men that’s been pulling airstreams 30 years pull them with small block V8’s and 6cylinder engines as long as you stay away from the continental divide. It don’t take much vehicel to pull a airstream and be safe. It takes a good driver with common sense that’s about it. I see fellows buy a big truck to pull them. All you really need is to be able to stop the push of the trailer.The pulling part is easy. You will always find a variety of answers to your questions here. It will be up to you to figure out what to do with them. Getting out there and pulling will answer them quicker than anything. Be safe and have fun.
And that my friends, is the statement of the year! Question not answered is how will your TV control, slow, and stop you safely when your going down that 8% grade in MT or CO with that 7K+ AS attached to your TV?? Be safe, or as Clint would say...."do you feel lucky"? I prefer to error on the side of safety after 20+ years pulling/driving RV's and TT's...My F250 diesel, pulling my 28'AS works fine, in Tow Haul, with Auto Engine brake and cruise control on, driving at highway speeds of 60-65...no white knuckles and wife feels safe. "The pulling part is easy." is an understatement...it's the safety of slowing and controlling that we need to keep in mind....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Tow Haul mode...just drove over the pass from Lincoln to Helena in heavy rain...steep grade up and down...20mph in some places, and 45-50 in others...I selected Tow/Haul half way up and immediately felt the downshift into 4th at 45mph, and RPM increase to comfortable speed overall...prior to selecting, it was lumbering in 6th gear...just saying the T/H feature helps when not towing also...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote