Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2020, 07:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Just an aside re CA...pulled into Jalama Beach ( not an easy approach) i CA and parked next to Cayenne pulling a new 28 Int...all set up by Andy @ CA. many more andy @CA comments on fofums. BTW, so much for the argument against shorter wheelbase TV's! Interestingly...they had just traded their fc20 for the new int 28.
B

BTW, this is pro CA comment. Agree wuth others of the buru being shy of capacity for a 20 which is our TT.
Just because you find light short wheelbase SUVs pulling trailers 25-40% heavier than their SUV from time to time does not make it a safe set-up and does not mean they will make to their next destination. There is no end to blissful ignorance. In California, towing speed limits are 55mph and perhaps this person stays in California and follows the limits to a tee. If so, great because that set-up can have significant stability issues in Nevada, Oregon or Montana with strong variable crosswinds at 65 mph. Is it safe at 45? for sure. At 55mph? most likely. 65? no, 70 hell no.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Hey Brian, can't say i disagree. A 28 is a pretty big mainsail.

I'm what some would consider a shorter wheelbase, but my TV does weigh more than my TT and has been rock solid outside of Spokane, and la grande, lower san Joaquin valley as well TX, Ok etc. IMO, wheelbase is a factor but so is weight, suspension and WD setup.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:06 AM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
( BTW, so much for the argument against shorter wheelbase TV's!
B
The shorter the WB, the less the payload...Not for us 👎.
Where would we put the boat?🚣🏾*♂️
TETO

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_66.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	366558  
Old 05-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
We started out with our Beetle and pulled this around for about 4 years.

We did a lot of work to the car to make it stop and also to make it go. Our little Camplite served us well at only 2,200 GVW with a dry weight of 1,620 lbs.

We played with the idea of pulling a Bambi 16 with the car but the little Bambi was nearly twice the dry weight of the Camplite.

The Camplite has been replaced with a 2019 Sport 22FB and the Beetle has been replaced with a 2019 Ridgeline AWD. We really like the way the RL pulls the Sport up and down the hills in our province.

I am looking forward to may years of use with our new setup.

I know Canamrv does a great job with their hitch configurations and are worth a look if a Subaru or Jetta is your choice for tow vehicle.

Please make sure that you don't go overboard with the capabilities of your tow vehicle. Just consider how your combo will stop from 60 mph going down a 10% grade!
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote