Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
imo,wouldnt be without 4wd.was in georgia going to fla,stopped at a campground overnight.the next morning due to all the torrential rain overnight the campground was a sea of mud.without 4wd i would of needed a tow like many a motorhome that day.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #22
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier View Post
I question whether Ford has an interest in Cummins.
That is repeated over and over and over in the truck forums from the Ford fans.

Ford owned a minority share of stock many years ago. They sold it long ago to pay the bills when they where taking huge loses. Ford doesn't have an option to put them in the F250/F350/F450 trucks. Chrysler & Cummins recently extended that agreement.

http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content.j...4&langId=1033&

A CMI stockholder report should list all parties that own at least 5% of the stock.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
That is repeated over and over and over in the truck forums from the Ford fans.

Ford owned a minority share of stock many years ago. They sold it long ago to pay the bills when they where taking huge loses. Ford doesn't have an option to put them in the F250/F350/F450 trucks. Chrysler & Cummins recently extended that agreement.

http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content.j...4&langId=1033&

A CMI stockholder report should list all parties that own at least 5% of the stock.
Thanks newroswell. I had heard that also several years ago and checked at that time with the local Dodge dealer who said that was not correct.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
2006 MegaCab 2wd

I love mine! I have not needed 4wd ... not to say that it might come in handy some time...but I find it much more comfortable to slide easily into my cab than into a 4wd cab...and for the few times that it "might" be convenient, its just not worth it to me...

the mega cab is great., too...plenty of room...14mpg towing...21 hwy empty
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
danville , California
IMHO I would never buy a truck that isnt 4wd, mybe thats cause I do alot of backroad camping. But I drive in 2wd 99% of the time but that 1% makes it worth it.
gmwelder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Check out the Dodge Cummins diesel forum Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum Ever thing you ever wanted to know. Like you'll be able to get all your engine codes by turning the key switch 3 times, you don't need to buy a code reader. Impressive site.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #27
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_john View Post
I'm really, really close to buying this one...it just doesn't have 4 wheel drive.

Will I regret it???!!!!

Great price for a sub 100k Cummins.

Help me Forum!!!

Cars for Sale: 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Truck 2WD Quad Cab in Sugar Hill, GA 30518: Truck Details - 267759606 - AutoTrader.com
We bought a 2003 just this last Oct. Its a 3500, 4x4, dually, had 88k miles on it. Its red just like the one n the picture. We love it, no regrets!

Good luck

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Questions on chips etc for diesel engines!

I am hearing different scenarios relative to adding performance equipment. I have had the Smarty Junior recommended for $500 and a complete Banks sytem including chip, exhaust systems and a digital monitor for $3000.
My truck tows my trailer just fine, but I primarily am interested in improving mileage. But I've been warned about adding a chip am not adding the additional exhaust and monitoring systems.
I'm interested in some information from experienced owners.
WBCCI #4358
Old 03-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
tslanier,

I think one of your better bets would be to check out some of the Dodge Diesel websites, I know that two have been mentioned here already. I cannot quote any trailer towing mileage numbers, and this is a topic that parralels discussions about tires and WD hitches on our forum. I personally have a Banks 6 Gun on my truck, it produces additional power not doubt. One guy that I spoke with at my work said the Ottomind from Banks was more of a towing tuner. Might be worth a call to Banks and get their opinion. NOTE: In the hard core Dodge arena, Banks is not carrying the same reputation as several of the other tuning companies, but Banks has a method to their madness and it works for me.

You can add a simple gage to the engine and monitor the Exhaust Gas Temp EGT and Turbo Boost, simple installation. I didn't notice what year your truck is, but drilling the exhaust manifold for the EGT probe and tapping it is easier than you think and if you have a HPCR, you tap into the manifold with a special thru bolt and boom, you are monitoring Boost.

The Banks 6 Gun, someones exaust and air intake are a nice saturday project if you are handy or can buy some lunch for your busted knuckles buddy. The 6 Gun includes a (at least mine does) Palm PDA for your gage display, it downloads engine fault codes and is easily customized for monitored functions.

I have no proof that my 6 Gun improves mileage in towing, ain't towed it yet other than bringing my AS home.

I recommend www.tdr1.com for a website.
GCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
John,
You'll love it! I own a 2003 Dodge/Cummins, High Performance 2500, 6speed manual tranny, 2 wheel drive. As far as I'm concerned 4 wd is a waste of money, and you usually get about 100 feet further before you get stuck.
I pull a 2003 AS Excella, depending on the terrain and wind, I've been getting 12 to 15 mpg. I added an exhaust brake (U.S. Gear), and a 115 gallon auxillary fuel tank.
Best truck I've ever owned, and yes, I would buy another one...
Good luck
Larry C

=big_john;822429]I'm really, really close to buying this one...it just doesn't have 4 wheel drive.

Will I regret it???!!!!

Help me Forum!!!

Cars for Sale: 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Truck 2WD Quad Cab in Sugar Hill, GA 30518: Truck Details - 267759606 - AutoTrader.com[/QUOTE]
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier View Post
I am hearing different scenarios relative to adding performance equipment. I have had the Smarty Junior recommended for $500 and a complete Banks sytem including chip, exhaust systems and a digital monitor for $3000. My truck tows my trailer just fine, but I primarily am interested in improving mileage. But I've been warned about adding a chip am not adding the additional exhaust and monitoring systems. I'm interested in some information from experienced owners.

It would be a waste of money. No one can substantiate fuel mileage increases, AND none will or would prove that you are doing other shortening the life of the engine because you are . . . . . THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH!

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...g-t264698.html

A Powerstroke, a Duramax, has lost 2/3 of engine life at 165,000 miles, a CTD is less than halfway at that point. (Industry average MTBO [mean time between overhauls] not "wisdom of the Internet"). They are NOT all the same . . PS & DM are MTBO'd at 250k, in a CTD you have the best at 350k. Just learn to use it well. (The "competition" can huff and puff . . the Cummins is the only genuine medium-duty rated engine in a light-duty application. The H&P crowd is the same that sells/trades every few years . . . . ) A 700,000-mile PS or DM is flashed across the Internet in 44-point headlines . . the guy can sell autographs. A CTD with that many is commonplace.

The CTD needs nothing except a driver willing to educate himself. As a truck driver one learns to let the engine TELL you what it wants. If you listen -- and adapt -- you'll love it.

2WD means an independent front suspension and rack & pinion steering. You will avoid not only the increased wear and tear of a 4WD (balljoints, u-joints, fluids, etc) but see better highway manners and ride. Steering is wonderful.

If you want to spend money, then upgrade the fuel pump/filtration system (AIRDOG or FASS), stick with DONALDSON, FLEETGUARD or BALDWIN filters, and change ALL fluids often. I waited until recently to replace ujoints and re-balance driveshaft. Next time will only go 100,000 miles. Same with valve adjustment, do it earlier than 150,000. Get some BILSTEIN shocks, replace rubber bushings on anti-roll bar with polyurethane and install one on rear (HELWIG).

The one big ticket item I'd like to have would be an exhaust brake. PACBRAKE or BD look good.

It is also a commonplace on CTD's that brakes and tires will last beyond 100,000. 80,000 for the lazy. Stick with MICHELIN highway rib tires and MOPAR oem brake pads/rotors.

Springs are stiff. Where a PS/DM is dragging tail going down the road a CTD will not. But, unloaded, you pay for it as all of them are designed to carry a 1,000-lb load. If you want to change, then here's an upgrade:

Deaver Suspension

Full Progressive Leaf Spring Pack for Dodge Ram Suspension Systems
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #32
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
=big_john;822429]I'm really, really close to buying this one...it just doesn't have 4 wheel drive.

Will I regret it???!!!!

Help me Forum!!!

Cars for Sale: 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Truck 2WD Quad Cab in Sugar Hill, GA 30518: Truck Details - 267759606 - AutoTrader.com[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

At 97,000-miles annually over [7] years it would be about 14,000 per annum, thus slightly below average. As it appears to be the top trim level (Laramie) -- unusually, it is tow hooks installed on a 2WD -- I would guess it has had one owner, who, judging by the fifth wheel bracket in the bed and what I am guessing is a Trans Temp gauge in the ashtray bought it for the purpose of extended travel. Still, the bed liner looks awfully new, so I'd get up under it. The second owner may have been the one to do the additions.

As it was bought at auction -- and the price reduced since the original listing -- you are fortunate that you are STILL in a position to bargain. People are foolish when it comes to trucks. This one has the nicest trim, the exterior appears great, the "history" has some external clues (but lose the cheap tires pronto) AND 2WD outlasts 4WD considerably . . . and "customers" walk past them continuously.

Evidence of abuse are trans-shifting problems, "tuners" under the hood or once mounted on velcro/screws inside; fancy & worthless parts under hood, etc. As well as gooseneck hitches, airbags or overload springs, etc, where trailer pin weight was too high, look for other evidence of wire tampering. Same with brakes. It should be on originals or a set of replacement pads on turned-once rotors.

Expect to replace ALL fluids, serpentine belt, tires, shocks; get a valve adjustment and go ahead and redo driveshaft u-joints early. Other than this stick with BALDWIN FP7977 fuel filter (in-tank fuel pump TSB done?) Lesser problems include a TSB for improved door seal; and HVAC doors sometimes quit early (search "Heatertreater"). Other factory HVAC improvements can be made for pre-2005 models.

GOERENDS and others sell aftermarket custom transmission rebuilds (do a search; maybe DTT as well), the trans will make it or not to about 140,000-miles. IMO, the usual fifth wheeler has a thing about buying cheap and abusing, so expect the trans may have been overheated at least once and the PO got cold feet. On the other hand, it may have been beautifully cared for, and he traded it for new . . the dealer wholesaled it due to, first, 2WD, and second, age.

It it has had a "chip" (tuner) installed, expect that injector life has been compromised and that other engine-installed components (turbocharger) may not last the full OEM specification. Carefully inspect frame, spring mounts, body bushings, etc. All of these trucks weigh in excess of 7,000-lbs, and abuse will take a toll all over the place.

The 2003-2004 engines (250HP and 305HP; see valve cover sticker; rear gear info should be in glovebox door) have the best combination of power and economy. I have owned mine just short of three years, and, for ALL miles traveled since purchase am just above 20-mpg (nor am I alone in this). You won't find that with Ferd or Chubby. With a sharp transmission convertor the mileage will be excellent. 1,750-rpm is the sweetest of sweet spots for highway travel.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Great advice Rednax! I had reached that conclusion not long after I posted regarding performance upgrades to my Cummins.

With reference to 4WD, I have it and would get it again. I don't use it often but there are times it has been handy backing my trailer upgrade when the ground was soft. Also, driving on the beach at the Outer Banks and parking next to the ocean with your chairs, umbrellas, cooler etc for the day is quite a plus!
WBCCI #4358
Old 03-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Sweet Ride

Just what the doctor ordered. After due diligence if it passes buy it.
2 wheel drive because staying away from ice and snow is smart. Off roading is for Jeeps.
Economy, reliability and style in one package.
My diesel Jeep Liberty is going. I think 4 cyl is enough but no Cummings travel in my circles that have 4 cyl.
As soon as the Jeep is gone I will be shopping for a diesel replacement.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote