Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2022, 02:30 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetstreamAS View Post
Hey now crazy, what are you talking about!?!?

I didn’t say you couldn’t do what you say you do, I was only pointing out (like the first quote) the wide spread of what people think about and do with a MB tow vehicle.

You need to calm down and actually read what is written before you go nuts on someone. SMH.
I wasn't going nuts on someone. I'm sorry you felt that way. My offer still stands if anyone thinks this vehicle is not capable.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:42 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

South Tahoe , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
I wasn't going nuts on someone. I'm sorry you felt that way. My offer still stands if anyone thinks this vehicle is not capable.
No need to apologize at all, but you should carefully read what you wrote again and think about it. At the very best, it’s embarrassing for you.
JetstreamAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:11 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Tacoma , Washington
Send a message via Skype™ to AirGT65
A couple quick thoughts:
1. Our 2016 M.B. 300d pulls our 20' , 4,300 lb. 1966 Airstream Globetrotter beautifully. Up, down and around hills. No problems. 20 MPG.

2. I wouldn't pull a larger or longer trailer, Airstream or otherwise, with our car.
Period.
AirGT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:33 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
Correct about the airbags, they can interfere with the WDH.

His max is 7700 pounds as he stated. He'll have no issues at all with a 23'.

CanAm doesn't "enhance" the capabilities, they add a brace to the receiver to eliminate any flex caused by the WDH. The "capabilities" remain the same.
"Nit" here? I would consider "adding a brace to the receiver", an "enhancement", according to dictionary. Capabilities are "enhanced" adding strength for towing. But, call it what you want; just be sure your within limits.

En·hance·ment
/inˈhansm(ə)nt/
noun

1. an increase or improvement in quality, value, or extent:
"the enhancement of civic amenities"
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:54 PM   #85
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Lacombe , Alberta
One last Pic of MB tow vehicles

A nice setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1163.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	425760  
cloud camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:51 PM   #86
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Orlando , Florida
The picture above is the day we picked up the AS. Now 16 months later and over 10k miles of towing the setup still works. The only improvement is switching from the BlueOx SwayPro to ProPride.
Having the 3L diesel makes pulling 6000lbs pretty effortless. We have averaged 15mpg while towing. I have been very happy with the ML350 as a TV.
Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:02 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
Correct about the airbags, they can interfere with the WDH.

His max is 7700 pounds as he stated. He'll have no issues at all with a 23'.

CanAm doesn't "enhance" the capabilities, they add a brace to the receiver to eliminate any flex caused by the WDH. The "capabilities" remain the same.
I have had 2 MB set up by CanAm for towing my 25FB. 2014 ML 3.0 Diesel and a 2020 GLS580 V8 gas, both with Airmatic. Both performed exceptionally well with Eaz-lift WDH. They set them up with the Airmatic system off to maintain level - I think you just keep the driver door open. I confirmed setups by going over weight scales and have leftover capacity on both axles. I tow in Sport mode for a stiffer suspension setting and the system knows when a trailer is connnected so the correct height is maintained regardless of the setting. Only reason for ditching the diesel was due to endless emission electronics issues so wanted to go V8 gas. Airmatic is an integrated air suspension system - not a simple "Air bag", I had those too on other vehicles and they can be a problem. Airmatic can be expensive to repair but if you are out of warranty you can get less costly replacements outside the MB Dealer network. I would not go without Airmatic option.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:25 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPPPIN View Post
I have had 2 MB set up by CanAm for towing my 25FB. 2014 ML 3.0 Diesel and a 2020 GLS580 V8 gas, both with Airmatic. Both performed exceptionally well with Eaz-lift WDH. They set them up with the Airmatic system off to maintain level - I think you just keep the driver door open. I confirmed setups by going over weight scales and have leftover capacity on both axles. I tow in Sport mode for a stiffer suspension setting and the system knows when a trailer is connnected so the correct height is maintained regardless of the setting. Only reason for ditching the diesel was due to endless emission electronics issues so wanted to go V8 gas. Airmatic is an integrated air suspension system - not a simple "Air bag", I had those too on other vehicles and they can be a problem. Airmatic can be expensive to repair but if you are out of warranty you can get less costly replacements outside the MB Dealer network. I would not go without Airmatic option.
Thanks, agreed. The air suspension interferes with setup, it has to be turned off first. Once set, you're good to go. We had a similar system on our previous BMW.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote