Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Used diesel

As has been mentioned earlier, if you’re buying a used diesel insist on the maintenance records. Maintenance seems a lot more critical on a diesel than gas. I generally buy used vehicles but our most recent purchase, 2019 F350 diesel, was the first new vehicle I purchased since my 96 Mustang.

You might be able to find a new diesel in a lower trim level that won’t break the bank, or run across a real clean used truck that’s been well maintained.

If all that fails, a big V8 gasser WILL do the job, just not with the aplomb of a diesel. In either case, you’ll have a great time with your new AS.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:31 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Just to provide some context, the Ford 6.0 and 6.4 engines were produced 10+ years ago. They were both jointly designed by Ford and Navistar. Those engines did have problems. There are folks who make their living today “bulletproofing” those old engines.

Ford designed the 6.7L Powerstoke completely in house and introduced it in 2011 and is still produced today, with some refinements. There are millions of the 6.7 Powerstrokes on the road today. This is a good engine with a good reputation.
You are correct KK4YZ, in the case of the 6.0l, its been close to 20 years now. At the time, '08ish, my mechanic wanted $8k+ to "bulletproof" the truck. For the record, I never did have the catastrophic EGR cooler to head gasket failure while I owned it. The oil cooler did blow up the day I drove it off the lot. Then 2 FICMs failed. Numerous other things. Those were under warranty. The check engine light was always on and the dealer said it was the EGR cooler (?) and a $800-$900 flush might fix it, but no refund if it didn't. Finally, out of warranty, the high pressure oil pump failed at 105,000 or so miles. A $2k repair. I said "uncle" after that.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy the Ford 6.7l now, its just that maybe Ford could have "bulletproofed" their own designs from the beginning.
Ginophiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:29 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
High Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginophiles View Post
in the case of the 6.0l, its been close to 20 years now.
Scary, for me, how close I came to buying one of those. I was sitting in the sales office and almost signed my fate away. I bought something else instead and have had many years and miles of almost trouble free service. My only trouble was a blown water pump that was completely my fault. I even had a new one in a box but was squeaking out a few more miles out of my old one. I ended up changing it out in a truck stop parking lot until the wee hours of the morning with the most basic of tools. Anyway, if I'd have ended up with the F 6.0 there's a good chance the problems would have ended my traveling days prematurely. I had some friends buy a Class A bus with a bad engine. A couple of years and many thousands of dollars later they gave up the travel dream. No matter how much thought and planning go into things, sometimes it's just a roll of the dice.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'd say, step back and look at the big picture.
1. Will this vehicle be exclusively used to tow the RV?
2. Will it be my daily driver?
3. Is it easy to maneuver, park, get in and out?
4. Will the additional cost, upkeep, and higher cost of fuel and DEF make sense?
5. How often do I need the additional torque a diesel offers?

There's lots of advice here, but you never know if someone buys a new tow vehicle every year and has unlimited resources.
If you drive it to the grocery every week, but cross the rockies once a year, then have you justified the cost?
Finally, there's the "I want" factor. That one I totally understand.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:02 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Piedmont , South Carolina
Contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYNMAN View Post
Henry - I would like to discuss the projected sale of your Duramax with you. Ray
You can call me at 864.430. 0951. Henry
Trailride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:01 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginophiles View Post

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy the Ford 6.7l now, its just that maybe Ford could have "bulletproofed" their own designs from the beginning.
Yeah, that one is on Ford. Most probably Ford trusted Navistar on a lot of these design decisions. They must have partnered with Navistar because of their (Ford’s) lack of diesel experience at the time. After the 6.4 Ford decided to go it alone with the 6.7l.

6.0 and 6.4 were a long time ago as was the failed GM 350 diesel. Remember that one?
Old 09-15-2020, 07:46 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
At least in the Dodge lineup the trim package makes a huge difference in price. The diesel might be about $8000 more than the gas. But the Larime and higher trim packages add maybe $20,000. Around here now lightly used nice trucks seem to sell for about the same as, ore sometimes even more, than new truck.
After spending a lot of time looking for and at used diesels, only to be surprised at the asking price, we decided to get a new one.

And yes a diesel is more expensive but most of the extra cost is recouped when selling it.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:44 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Yeah, that one is on Ford. Most probably Ford trusted Navistar on a lot of these design decisions. They must have partnered with Navistar because of their (Ford’s) lack of diesel experience at the time. After the 6.4 Ford decided to go it alone with the 6.7l.

6.0 and 6.4 were a long time ago as was the failed GM 350 diesel. Remember that one?
From what I understand it was the emission system that Ford added to the 6.0 engine that caused the problems. The Navistar version of this 6.0 engine used in many other applications did well.
My brother bought a new 2005 F250 with the infamous 6.0 and it was a very nice truck but became to expensive after awhile and it was traded off on a different brand diesel truck when it was dying a second time.
The two most expensive and troublesome issues with modern diesel trucks seem to be the exhaust after treatment system and the diesel injection pumps. Try an internet search on the problems with the Bosch CP4 injection pumps and it will make your head spin.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:05 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Stryk View Post
I am new to the forum and to Airstream so I have a million questions. We just picked up a new to us 2013 Airstream International Serenity 30RB. It was located in Colorado so we drove up there and brought it back to Texas. My current tow vehicle is a 2015 Chevy Silverardo 2500HD with the 6.0L gas engine.

This trailer is definitely heavier than our previous Forest River travel trailer.
While the truck did okay it definitely struggled in the mountains a little and I got killed on gas mileage even in the flat parts of Texas. I'm considering pulling the trigger on a diesel truck but definitely can't afford a new one so was looking at used options. I'm leaning towards another Chevy but I've driven Fords in the past so considering them as well. Dodge is a distant third but only because I've never owned one and don't know anyone that does in my family or group of friends/coworkers.

With that said curious if anyone can give me their thoughts on purchasing a used diesel. What should I look for or try to avoid? And how many miles is too many for a used one? Thanks in advance for your advice and I'm really looking forward to learning more and more about our Airstream and this great community.
Many good ones out there.., I bought a used ford 7.3..used it 14 years.bought a used ram 6.7...10 years..no problems...new ram in 17..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:35 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
From what I understand it was the emission system that Ford added to the 6.0 engine that caused the problems. The Navistar version of this 6.0 engine used in many other applications did well.
My brother bought a new 2005 F250 with the infamous 6.0 and it was a very nice truck but became to expensive after awhile and it was traded off on a different brand diesel truck when it was dying a second time.
The two most expensive and troublesome issues with modern diesel trucks seem to be the exhaust after treatment system and the diesel injection pumps. Try an internet search on the problems with the Bosch CP4 injection pumps and it will make your head spin.
I think one big problem with the 6.0 was insufficient strength and #of head bolts (or overall strength) resulting in head gasket failure. That’s a big part of the 6.0 bulletproofing (see Powerstrokehelp.com).

Until this year I believe Ford, GM and RAM used the CP4.X pump, with GM just moving to a Denso system this year. Major culprit with high pressure fuel pump failures is water in the fuel. I drain a quart of fuel out of the water separator each month or so to stay ahead of it. I also use a lubricity additive to the fuel to help protect the pump.

You don’t hear about the millions of Bosch fuel systems out there that don’t fail; just the ones that do...just like everything else.��
Old 09-15-2020, 06:19 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
High Springs , Florida
Quote:
Ford, GM and RAM used the CP4.X pump, with GM just moving to a Denso system this year.��
"A mainstay component aboard common-rail Cummins engines for 15 years (’03-‘18), the Bosch CP3..."
Old 09-15-2020, 06:26 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
"A mainstay component aboard common-rail Cummins engines for 15 years (’03-‘18), the Bosch CP3..."
I stand corrected. I was thought Cummins used the cp4.2. Does the cp3 use the diesel fuel as the pump lubricant?

What is Cummins using 2019+?
Old 09-15-2020, 07:06 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
High Springs , Florida
Quote:
I stand corrected. I was thought Cummins used the cp4.2. Does the cp3 use the diesel fuel as the pump lubricant?

What is Cummins using 2019+?

I don't know this off the top of my head but it's interesting to look it up. Apparently Cummins has moved to the CP4. Hopefully for those folks buying them it's an improved CP4. CP3 is fuel lubricated. I was only aware of the CP3 as I'm still on my original pump and injectors and have done my preliminary research in case I need to upgrade. That and the power steering system is about all I have left of the original supporting cast of the 5.9.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:07 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
I don't know this off the top of my head but it's interesting to look it up. Apparently Cummins has moved to the CP4. Hopefully for those folks buying them it's an improved CP4. CP3 is fuel lubricated. I was only aware of the CP3 as I'm still on my original pump and injectors and have done my preliminary research in case I need to upgrade. That and the power steering system is about all I have left of the original supporting cast of the 5.9.
I think the cp4.2 has improved in that they added some sort of coating to the internal components to reduce friction. Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel that we use today has low lubricity which makes it tough on these high pressure pumps. That’s why I hedge my bets and add stanadyne lubricity formula. Helps lube the fuel system and also has a de-emulsifier to improve the efficiency of the water separator. Cheap insurance.

Diesels are really high performance but also demand more attention to detail re: maintenance.