Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2020, 09:59 AM   #21
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I bought my 2004 Duramax Silverado new and loved how it pulled my 25, 31 and 30 rigs 235,000 miles with ease. I recently sold it and bought a 2011 Duramax (a Denali this time) and am looking forward to the same satisfaction.

Pulling, about 12mpg, 18 or so on its own.

And my new one has the engine brake. Haven't tried it out yet, but believe it will be wonderful, compared to not having it.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Conroe , Texas
heresy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Before you pull that trigger, figure out how many gallons of $2.20 a gallon gas you can be buy for what it will cost you to upgrade. A gas truck will also have a larger payload so you can carry more fun stuff.

In fairness, I tow with a diesel and I get 30% better mileage than I did with my last gas truck. This is certainly understandable given the higher energy density of diesel. I do have to add DEF now and then and an oil change is twice as pricey, even though I do them myself. I am definitely in the minority in that, if I had to replace my truck tomorrow, I’d buy the same thing with a gasser. Cheap fuel everywhere, far more likely to find someone who can fix it if it breaks, lower routine maintenance...

I won’t lie, the big torque is nice on those long climbs, though, and considering where you live, it may well be the best choice.

Shop carefully, enjoy the journey with your new Airstream!
After my 2006 Duramax LTZ got totalled (along with my 25 ft AS...), I was thinking that prices for used Duramax vehicles were inflated (If I only knew....) and settled for a Dodge 5.7L Hemi Megacab with an old tech 3 speed auto.

Fast forward, I can't say that I've missed the diesel and its issues although I do miss the auxilliary fuel tank. If I was worried about power, I would consider the big Ford gasser also. Of course, much depends on your useage. If I was going to be towing heavy in the mountains a lot, then I'd lean more toward the diesel. For me, 95% of my driving is not towing and most of it is on the flat so the purchase and operating cost numbers outweigh the few times I feel like I "need" the diesel.
wrhnco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #23
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Have owned F250 Superduty diesels since 1999. I have logged close to 1 million miles on diesels alone. The Ford Diesel was great with with the 7.3 reliability wise, hp and mileage not so much. Fast forward to the new 6.7 circa 2011, it is a proven powerhouse and very good mpg towing my 2010 25' INTERNATIONAL. I GET 14MPG towing and 18 city/highway.

Look for a 2011+ F250/F350 with under 90K miles. Solid trucks. I have owned the Ford in years 1999,2007,2011,2017 and another 2017 King Ranch.
Best rucks out there with minimal issues, IMO.

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
2021 30' Flying Cloud
Lady Lake , Florida
New 7.3 Gas

Ford has a new 7.3 pushrod engine. It’s like they went back to a refined old school design. I bought the diesel however I would give this new truck a test drive. A good high torque gas engine vs a high mileage used Diesel could be a trade off.

Although I bought the Diesel because of better used trade value. The 7.3 was not
available at the time we were looking.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:45 AM   #25
1980 Excella II

1980 31' Excella II
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Old but good

I have a 2004 8.0 liter (about 500 cu in) 2500 HD with 100,000 miles. I tow a 31 foot AS.

Below 3000' elevation I have no issues. Climbing out of Phoenix on I-17 does not cause problems. Going over Loveland pass on I-70 the engine is sluggish but gets me there. For the price of easy maintenance, ready repair knowledge, less noise and smoke, I am satisfied with the combination.

I seriously doubt you can find an 8.0 liter 2500 HD in reasonable shape. I will keep mine until I stop traveling. I have never seen a Dodge diesel that did not sound like a trash can rolling down the road. I am a GM person so would not buy a Ford and I know little about them.

The gas engines available in newer trucks seem rather small in comparison to 8.0. I would never consider them for pulling anything over 5000 lbs. wet. Ford has a new gas engine which may have the power to pull something larger. They used to have a 10 cylinder engine with about the same displacement as the new engine. The fact companies are developing gas engines tells me something is not right with diesel.

I have been stuck a few times out on a lonely road with a clogged diesel fuel filter and/or injectors. That was the overriding reason I would shy away from them.
glh101282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:12 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
North East , Maryland
Mileage and good used trucks

Too bad you are not closer to me (MD). I know of a 2015 Dodge Ram Tradesman diesel that has 20K miles on it. The owner just passed away and his widow is going to sell. This is a base Ram; but the truck is pristine. You can always add the extra amenities you need...just a thought...

We've been towing 7000 lb. to 12000 lb. trailers for the past 20 years.
Originally all our tow vehicles were Dodge half ton, Hemi and 4x4. However; after getting routed through mountains and getting 7 mpg, we realized how underpowered we were for our load. The next truck was (and still is) a 2012 Ford F250 diesel. We've put over 100K miles on it and it is still running strong. Will not go back to gas for towing and we are pulling an older AS 28.

Note: if looking for used, watch the model year. All engines (gas or diesel) get changed over time and you want one that is known for durability and repairability.
Ladyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:46 PM   #27

West chester , Pennsylvania
Any chance that Dodge is a crew cab?
Boerboelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
High Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by glh101282 View Post
I have been stuck a few times out on a lonely road with a clogged diesel fuel filter and/or injectors.
So is that because diesels are inherently bad or lack of proper maintenance?
Old 09-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
So is that because diesels are inherently bad or lack of proper maintenance?

Anytime I hear about clogged filter etc. = bad maintenance

I’ve run thousands of hours on marine diesels and never had an issue. why clean fuel and good maintenance. Yet I hear horror stories about clogged filters etc... hmmm

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:17 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

BALLWIN , Missouri
Almost everything has been said. with that information remember what you have, the expense new and used , maintenance needed constantly, and the unending worry about DEF additive. KISS Keep It Simple ______! stay with gas.
robertbrenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:26 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
Just to throw 2 more cents into the pot:

Having done both, I wouldn't tow over 5K# without a diesel again. It's just so much easier. All that torque to get you going and take you over the hills without it sounding like a piston is about to come flying out the hood. With the modern exhaust break, I can come down Donner summit fully loaded and hardly touch the break peddle. Once turned on, you just lift your foot off the gas (diesel?) and the exhaust break engages and begins to slow the rig and will keep slowing you until you stop or touch the gas again and the break disengages. Tap the breaks, and it engages stronger, downshifts the truck and really slows you down.

Yes, bigger investment up front, but better resale later, so that can be a bit of a wash if you can afford it in the first place. I got mine as a left over 2014 in late October of that year. Dealer said they were knocking $10,500.00 off 3 or 4 leftovers. Sure enough, they weren't kidding. Not much to choose from, I just went with the cheapest original MSRP.

Mine is a RAM, and just my take, I think they're a good value. Comparing similar models across the big 3, RAMs usually have just a little less horsepower/torque, still plenty, and a lower price tag. RAM/Cummings seems to just keep updating and refining the 'ol I6 they started with in the '80s.

I had a slightly used F350 with the notorious Ford 6.0l. A brand new from scratch design to replace the beloved 7.3. While repeatedly hanging out at the dealer for repairs, they would try to sell me a new truck with the All New
from scratch 6.4l. I think the 6.4l's reputation is better than the 6.0l, but not by a big margin. Soured me on Ford.

I've always found GM to the most expensive, but also to have the most rabidly loyal following.

Good luck with the search! There's a lot of info on this forum to help you out.
Ginophiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:15 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrenne View Post
Almost everything has been said. with that information remember what you have, the expense new and used , maintenance needed constantly, and the unending worry about DEF additive. KISS Keep It Simple ______! stay with gas.
It seems like the only folks who describe the DEF additive as a “headache or worry” are ones who don’t have experience with it. Maybe I’m wrong.

Just to dispel a few myths:
1) modern diesels do not smoke or have “that diesel smell”.
2) DEF is no big deal. The DEF tank on my truck is 7.5 gal and will last many thousands of miles. When it runs low, you dump in more in. No harder than refueling...just lest frequent.

Diesels ARE more expensive. But if you can spring for one, you’ll have towing power and torque second to none (until EV technology gets practical for towing).
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:15 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Myrtle Point , OR
We have had a 2013 F-350 Super Duty 4wd Crew cab for 7 years. Towed a 5th-wheel with it (12-15 mpg) for 3 years. After we traded for a camper van, it has been my husband's everyday driver and farm/ranch truck. Average mpg is 18. It was been totally trouble free; routine oil changes and new tires are about it. Services do cost more (even DIY), because it takes more oil, but with 10K miles (min) between oil changes, I think it's a wash.

A huge benefit is that our model year has fewer electronic engine controls than newer models. For this reason, and the fact that it still looks and runs like new, we will be using it to tow whatever trailer we decide to buy.
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:35 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginophiles View Post
Just to throw 2 more cents into the pot:

I had a slightly used F350 with the notorious Ford 6.0l. A brand new from scratch design to replace the beloved 7.3. While repeatedly hanging out at the dealer for repairs, they would try to sell me a new truck with the All New
from scratch 6.4l. I think the 6.4l's reputation is better than the 6.0l, but not by a big margin. Soured me on Ford.

I've always found GM to the most expensive, but also to have the most rabidly loyal following.

Good luck with the search! There's a lot of info on this forum to help you out.
Just to provide some context, the Ford 6.0 and 6.4 engines were produced 10+ years ago. They were both jointly designed by Ford and Navistar. Those engines did have problems. There are folks who make their living today “bulletproofing” those old engines.

Ford designed the 6.7L Powerstoke completely in house and introduced it in 2011 and is still produced today, with some refinements. There are millions of the 6.7 Powerstrokes on the road today. This is a good engine with a good reputation.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:15 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
2014 25' FB International
Oceanside , California
Henry - I would like to discuss the projected sale of your Duramax with you. Ray
RYNMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:34 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
2014 25' FB International
Oceanside , California
Hi LadyFish - I would entertain that Dodge Tradesman if you have time to reply. - Ray
RYNMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:09 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Have a look at this thread I did last year:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ed-204602.html

At the end of the day, I do think you'll probably be happier with a diesel, but that's up to you and if you do go with diesel, I don't think you're going to find a bad one out there, it's really going to come down to personal preference and small things. All three of the brands (combining the twin GM models), are super close to each other in so many categories.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #38

2017 30' International
Aiken , South Carolina
Diesel New or Used

Joey, we are in the same boat as you. We just purchased a 2017 30' International and my truck can only town 7600 pounds. We have been looking for about 4 months and knew after our first initial visits looking at Airstreams that my TV would not handle the load. I have been searching for months for a good used diesel and TT. We found the TT, but finding a used diesel is harder than finding an Airstream. Prices for used diesel trucks are very high and we are going with a dealer we trust and asking him to find us a vehicle, used or new. I have no doubt that a diesel is the way to go. My wife's daily driver is a Range Rover Sport Diesel and the service $$ is not that much more than her Infinity before. Do not be fooled by gas trucks. Once you hook a load to them they burn a lot of fuel.
sculpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:12 AM   #39

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Orlando , Florida
Weldin Rod

I had a similar problem pulling a 27’FB with a Ford Expedition. After first trip to mountains I bought a diesel. Nations truck in Sanford Fl had a 2016 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab Laurier 6.9 diesel with 14k miles. It was $20k less than a 2017 new model. I believed it was barely broke-in. Have been pulling the AS for 3 years and don’t even realize it’s there. Gets 12-13 mph. One of my favorite features is the exhaust brake. I am able to go down mountains without hardly touching the brakes and always under control.
Weldin Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
At least in the Dodge lineup the trim package makes a huge difference in price. The diesel might be about $8000 more than the gas. But the Larime and higher trim packages add maybe $20,000. Around here now lightly used nice trucks seem to sell for about the same as, ore sometimes even more, than new truck.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote