Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #41
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Here is one more recent one that I thought performed as good as it looked. This is a Saturn Aura with the 3.6 Litre Cadillac CTS Motor again this motor has a very wide powerband and mated to a 6 speed automatic the performance is outstanding. The ride is a little bit soft for the nth degree of handling but it is still excellent.

Andrew T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aura 25.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	80753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aura Hitch.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	80754  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #42
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum@home View Post
It's not funny anymore crawford!

Is this post about tow vehicles or making fun of people and other countries.

C'mon, mum, you can relax. If you had read a bit more from him, you would know that CrawfordGene is not a cruel person, quite the opposite, he is quite witty and very friendly. It's a joke, nothing more.

Oh, and by the way, his name is Gene, he just happens to live in Crawford.

And by the way part 2, welcome to Airforum.com! Good to see yet another Canadian joining up. NICE trailer you have! I don't recall seeing any photos you may have posted, can you post a link to the thread, if you have?

cheers,
Aage
Old 05-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #43
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Thanks for the extra photos, Andy! Hope you're feeling a bit better.

I'm sorry that I neglected to add to my posts that I was VERY pleased with the work done, and how I was treated at your shop.

Thanks for a great job!

Aage
Old 05-24-2009, 07:45 AM   #44
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Opps here are the pictures
That's a 2.8 litre engine, from the badge, Andrew. Quite impressive!
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:05 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario

Nice... Can Am (Andrew T) has this ingenious way of designing receivers and using hardware that places the ball just a few inches from the back bumper.

Sure does optimize the wheelbase to overhang ratio which contributes to good handling and stability.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Calgary , AB
Towing

Hi
Thanks.

It's our 2nd airstream.

We had a 19ft 2008 Bambi last year and pulled it with a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder.(v6)

Traded both of them in.

This year we have a 25ft Flying Cloud and a 2009 Nissan Armada.(V8)
Have not been camping yet but did tow it for about 500 miles from the dealership to home.
We get about the same gas milage as the V8 does not have to work as hard.

Towed very nice.
I just have to get used to the extra length.
Thinking of a camera on the back of the trailer.
The SUV has a backup camera and its great for hooking up.

We have to get some pics on here for sure.
mum@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #47

tauranga , bay of plenty
towing a globe trotter

Hi, Im a new member and have very little knowledge of towing, though pretty experienced having driven extensivly in Europe Australasia and the US of A.
My wife and I [and our miniature Schnauzer] plan to visit The US about this time next year. I must have an Airstream and I am thinking that the globe trotter [mid 60s] would probably be practical .Not too big so easier to tow. We hope to travel from Alaska to Panama and beyond and dont have a time limit.Unfortunatly we do have a bit of a budget, so new is outof the question. I like the look of the Chevy G20. Practical for our purposes as we could set up a base camp then do satellite trips in the G20. What about it people is this sillyness. Also we are at present in NZ which isnt really that dog friendly, I have spent time in the states, but never traveling with a dog. How is it.
Would really appreciate any help and advice.
Thanks in advance Airstreamers.
florimondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by florimondo View Post
Hi, Im a new member and have very little knowledge of towing, though pretty experienced having driven extensivly in Europe Australasia and the US of A.
My wife and I [and our miniature Schnauzer] plan to visit The US about this time next year. I must have an Airstream and I am thinking that the globe trotter [mid 60s] would probably be practical .Not too big so easier to tow. We hope to travel from Alaska to Panama and beyond and dont have a time limit.Unfortunatly we do have a bit of a budget, so new is outof the question. I like the look of the Chevy G20. Practical for our purposes as we could set up a base camp then do satellite trips in the G20. What about it people is this sillyness. Also we are at present in NZ which isnt really that dog friendly, I have spent time in the states, but never traveling with a dog. How is it.
Would really appreciate any help and advice.
Thanks in advance Airstreamers.
We tend to be dog friendly in the US. We have 2 standard poodles and never had any problem. Yes, you will occasionaly find some campgrounds/parks that aren't but we avoid them. You will have to come thru Tucson if your headed to Panama so your welcome to stay a bit. We have plenty of room
with hook-up and familiar with points south. Would suggest you get the paperback "99 Days to Panama" by a couple from Texas who made the trip in 2005.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:44 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
First there are regions of the country that are not dog friendly. Eastern side of Florida, and down by Miami is downright a tough place with a dog. I never found so many rules against k9s anywhere.

The second rule is the more expensive the rv park, or the area with lots of money will usually make walking your dog more of challenge. We have traveled with our toy poodle to all of the states, and whenever the park site is over 60.o or the average real estate price for a home is over 500k, walking the dog can be a lesson in local rules and regulations.

Regarding a full size chevy van for towing, it is a great choice, I would suggest going to the enterprise rental website and look for used vehicles for sale. They offer the chevy express, and ford 350 econoline from the rental fleet, many with less than 30k miles and great tow vehicles. You can take the rear seats out and have a mini motor-home with just a bed and small toilet on board. good luck.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #50
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by florimondo View Post
Hi and welcome to the Airforume.com florimondo!

Hey wow, NZ! Now that's a first here, I think, haven't seen anyone from there join.

May I suggest that you start your own thread in the Member Introductions forums, which you can get to by clicking here.

You're asking two questions really, one about a specific tailer and a specific tow vehicle, and the other on about dogs. You might get better direction as to where exactly in the site you can research your questions on hardware if you start in the "New Members" part.

The dog question is easy: Americans (and Canadians too) are crazy about dogs, and while I don't know the numbers, I bet more folks with trailer have them than don't. One fmaily in the camp where our trailer resides right now have THREE!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #51
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum@home View Post
It's not funny anymore crawford!
Yes it is!!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #52
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
One of the things I like about Canadians is that most of them have a sense of humor about their country and themselves. To me that indicates confidence in themselves and their country. We in the US don't seem to have that sense of humor and I think that unfortunate. Maybe that's the price we have paid for being a great power. Since I am, perhaps technically, half-Canadian-American, maybe I inherited the sense of humor and a desire to travel to Canada whenever we can. I've noticed of late a lot of Canadians posting on this Forum and I welcome a little more of Canada in my life. It's always seemed strange to me how American media ignores Canada and Canadians know all about us. Maybe Canada should start processing uranium so we get some media coverage here.

Back to towing—It's interesting there is a shop in Ontario adapting vehicles for towing larger trailers. It doesn't seem anyone in the US is doing this kind of work. Maybe it's time for franchising the ideas. When we've been in Canada, I notice fewer large trucks than the US, probably because of fuel prices. I think we need more of this kind of work here because mpg rules and gas prices are going to change the tow vehicles. Seems like RV shops in the US should go to Ontario to get training how to do this because it will help their business in the future.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #53
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Maybe Canada should start processing uranium so we get some media coverage here.
Hasn't worked so far! We've been processing uranium for about 67 years now. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Back to towing—It's interesting there is a shop in Ontario adapting vehicles for towing larger trailers. It doesn't seem anyone in the US is doing this kind of work. Maybe it's time for franchising the ideas. When we've been in Canada, I notice fewer large trucks than the US, probably because of fuel prices. I think we need more of this kind of work here because mpg rules and gas prices are going to change the tow vehicles. Seems like RV shops in the US should go to Ontario to get training how to do this because it will help their business in the future.

Gene
I wondered about this too, and figured it was a liability issue. [Spurious generalization on] If a Canadian towing a 34'er with a Toyota Corolla got into an accident up here, and sued whoever installed the hitch, the judge would laugh at him. In the States, he'd get a settlement, and the hitch installer would be out of business. [/Spurious generalization off]

---
Kevin
Old 05-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Maybe Canada should start processing uranium so we get some media coverage here.
Hey we supply about a third of the world's demand for radioactive isotopes used in medical procedures - does that count?!

Oh, and the CNN news worthy part - the reactor was built in 1945, leaks like a sieve and is currently shut down so you might have to reschedule that X-ray
Chalk River reactor checked for source of water leak
Freeheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
New Castle , Indiana
You must have one of the vans from I.R.O.C. (International Race Of Caravans) lol
TravisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
... I won't tell anyone I'm thinking of a Dodge Magnum.....
Hey a magnum is a hefty vehicle I bet it would make a good tow vehicle.

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #57
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
The Jetta photo earlier in the thread looks like a rolling death machine.

My 2003 Jetta is not capable of safely towing a 24' Argosy. I guess the later model years are beefier.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
My tow vehicle is a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD with 1 ton suspension package, 8 Ltr engine, Alison transmission, and Hensley Arrow. It will just about tow Texas off the map. Sometimes I have to check the rearview mirror to make sure the Airstream is still back there cause the truck doesn't feel it.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #59
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Magnum Tow Vehicle

You are darn right the Magnum makes a great tow vehicle. Long wheelbase, low centre of gravity, lots of oomph (especially with a hemi)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnum - 28 CCD.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	80978  
Old 05-28-2009, 04:55 AM   #60
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brow324 View Post
My tow vehicle is a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD with 1 ton suspension package, 8 Ltr engine, Alison transmission, and Hensley Arrow. It will just about tow Texas off the map. Sometimes I have to check the rearview mirror to make sure the Airstream is still back there cause the truck doesn't feel it.
Now I gotta clean up the drool on my keyboard. Thanks.