Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #101
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
For those of you thinking how sweet a new RAM 2500 HD Diesel would be, you may have noticed you don't find any listings. Apparently there's some sort of stop sale going on at the moment due to a recall in the transmission for which they don't have parts. According to my buddy who works at the local RAM dealership, it's probably going to be about 3 weeks before you will find them for sale... and I was 'this close' to pulling the trigger on one two weeks ago. Amazing.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #102

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
My continued research has raised a new dilemma. I have now found that the GM pick-ups will get a totally new interior in 2021.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:21 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
My continued research has raised a new dilemma. I have now found that the GM pick-ups will get a totally new interior in 2021.

Brian

It’s a never ending cycle, you just have to decide is one of the offerings good enough... cause next year will always bring some enhancements after all they want you to trade up every year or 2.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #104

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
The RAM Cummins straight 6 engine has an excellent reputation. Its a small truck/industrial engine while the V-8's in the other two are large car engine.

My wife loved the RAM interior.
Nonsense. The inline-6 Cummins *IS* an outstanding engine design, but it's no more or less a "truck engine" than at least the Ford, which with different software is used in medium-duty trucks. I suspect the Duramax is as well, but I'm less familiar with their range. If you want to tell lies about these big, heavy diesels designed for light- and medium-truck usage, kindly tell us which cars their manufacturers have installed them in. We're well past the days of the disastrous GM 350 diesel.

The only thing "car engine" about any of the 3 is that they're now over-tuned for people with small ... equipment to "bench race" about how much torque/hp their truck is rated to produce. You'll note that commercial customer who are more concerned with longevity and reliability order the same engines in much larger trucks significantly detuned.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #105
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
For those of you thinking how sweet a new RAM 2500 HD Diesel would be, you may have noticed you don't find any listings. Apparently there's some sort of stop sale going on at the moment due to a recall in the transmission for which they don't have parts. According to my buddy who works at the local RAM dealership, it's probably going to be about 3 weeks before you will find them for sale... and I was 'this close' to pulling the trigger on one two weeks ago. Amazing.
That’s not surprising. My last “Ram” went through three transmissions and dodge is known for their trans being the Achilles heel of the platform. Don’t get me wrong all trucks have their issues but trans issues get spendy real quick.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:54 AM   #106
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Nonsense. The inline-6 Cummins *IS* an outstanding engine design, but it's no more or less a "truck engine" than at least the Ford, which with different software is used in medium-duty trucks. I suspect the Duramax is as well, but I'm less familiar with their range. If you want to tell lies about these big, heavy diesels designed for light- and medium-truck usage, kindly tell us which cars their manufacturers have installed them in. We're well past the days of the disastrous GM 350 diesel.

The only thing "car engine" about any of the 3 is that they're now over-tuned for people with small ... equipment to "bench race" about how much torque/hp their truck is rated to produce. You'll note that commercial customer who are more concerned with longevity and reliability order the same engines in much larger trucks significantly detuned.
I agree with you that is nonsense. After all the military uses the Duramax as a platform after gale banks puts his touch on the engines.

https://youtu.be/Z35ZThqcg6k
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:56 AM   #107

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
My gosh! The looks of a truck? If you have ever examined a Jaguar E or F type, or many other good-looking vehicles, a truck is just a truck. I get that features, capabilities, and even brand loyalty are decision points, but we have reached a new low saying one truck is uglier than another. They are all ugly! But they do a job...
Larry
If one is to spend $70k-ish on a utilitarian thing and all 3 choices do the job about as well, it would not be smart to pick the ugliest of the 3 vs the least-offensive. Especially in THIS context! After all, most of us had the option to choose less-expensive trailers that would certainly do the job and might offer much more in certain areas, but the Airstream is so pretty...

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:09 AM   #108
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post

Exactly.

The Cummins 6.7 is offered with 400 hp and 1000 lb-ft of torque in a pickup, since the duty cycle is so light.

The same engine is offered from 200-325 hp and from 520-750 lb-ft in medium duty trucks such as Freightliner delivery vans which are expected to work more.

We used to sell Cat 3208 diesels at 210 hp in delivery trucks. In marine applications that engine was sold up in the 1000 hp range, although not directly by Cat. It was also a light duty engine like the Cummins B series. Heavy duty diesels have wet sleeves IMO.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #109
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
2022 Interstate 24GT
St. Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Close is not good enough regardless of a great deal.

Brian
I'm with you...doesn't seem like you are in extremis and have to compromise. Good luck and hope to see y'all "out there" somewhere! I keep a coffee pot on. Damn...15 years?
Salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #110
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
First of all....heavy duty industrial diesel engines, like the Isuzu 6BD1 in my AS 310 turbo diesel, have removable cylinder sleeves; all I have to do to rebuild my engine to new, is replace sleeve, piston rings and lower bearings; no reboring, honing or measuring.
No Cummins, 5.9 or 6.7 can do that, so I consider them to be light duty diesel engines.

As I stated in my previous post to the OP, wait for the new interior to come out.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
[QUOTE=Ladyfish;2328938]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
...I use Apple Airplay and use Google maps...

Google and other cell/internet connected devices do not work when you are in less populated areas. There are places here in Maryland where you cannot get cell signal and states like Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana and Idaho only have service in the cities and towns.

A designated gps system works on satellite; not cell towers. Imagine breaking down on a major highway in Wyoming and finding out you have no cell service to call for roadside assist. Been there...done that!

Only OnStar allows satellite communications, AFAIK.

Your phone has a GPS that picks up satellite signals. If you are going into areas with no cell service and you want navigation, the key is to download the mapping (e.g. from Google Maps) to your phone before you go.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #112
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
[QUOTE=AlbertF;2330447]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfish View Post

Only OnStar allows satellite communications, AFAIK.

Your phone has a GPS that picks up satellite signals. If you are going into areas with no cell service and you want navigation, the key is to download the mapping (e.g. from Google Maps) to your phone before you go.
I use the Garmin inReach Explorer. It has two-way satellite text communication so you can keep in touch with friends and family when out of cell phone coverage. The SOS button can summon rescue anywhere too.

It has a GPS map function too, but it is not suitable for car navigation, but is great on the trails.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:06 AM   #113
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
[QUOTE=Adventure.AS;2330478]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post

I use the Garmin inReach Explorer. It has two-way satellite text communication so you can keep in touch with friends and family when out of cell phone coverage. The SOS button can summon rescue anywhere too.
When I travel solo on my motorcycle, even on the roads, I use a SPOT. Not only does it let my wife know where I am, but if I've had an accident or breakdown, she can see I'm not moving. I have the option, like on the inReach to to push the SOS button. I nearly bought the inReach when DeLorme owned it, but decided I didn't do enough solo travels to warrant the price tag. Garmin really hasn't done much to improve it really since DeLorme. I do miss DeLorme's software (it was quirky for sure), as it was hands down the best off-road/hiking software out there, the DeLorme handheld GPS was also much better than anything Garmin has come out with and they bought DeLorme 6 or 7 years ago now (maybe longer). I think Garmin bought them simply for the inReach and to ensure DeLorme didn't really compete with them anymore.

I still carry a GPS with me, one reason is I can plan route and upload them. When I travel, part of my motorcycle heritage I guess, says... don't take the freeways, find secondary roads and experience more of the country. Nearly all of the on-board systems if you give them a destination want to put you on main motorways. I'm not a fan of that. Although with the heads-up display on the new GM trucks (with the tech package), I'm debating if I'm going to continue planning like that or just plug in the destination. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:35 AM   #114

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvagediver View Post
I'm with you...doesn't seem like you are in extremis and have to compromise. Good luck and hope to see y'all "out there" somewhere! I keep a coffee pot on. Damn...15 years?
Hi Mark. I just don't plan to compromise, especially when it comes to a new tow vehicle for Lucy. Yes, we have been Airstreaming for a long time. We are now up to 2,100 nights of Airstream Camping and we are closing in on 200,000 miles of Airstream towing. We chronicle our major Airstream Adventures here on AirForums. The most recent was Lucy's 93 day trip to Alaska. There are 495 posts to the thread and there are almost 1,000 pictures taken along the way. If you should have an interest in a rather lengthy Airstream read, you can find this thread by using the blue search box right below the masthead. The name of the thread is: Lucy Is On The Road To Alaska.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #115
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
2022 Interstate 24GT
St. Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Lucy Is On The Road To Alaska.

Brian
Greetings Brian, Outstanding link!!! I am sure I'll learn a lot! We are not new to RVing but are brand spanking new to AS - and love learning it AND NOT working anymore in DC. We will be in Panama City to visit an old Navy pal who has offered his RV shore power connection...then on to Mountanaire, NM to hook-up with AS friends for some western NP touring. We enjoy being on the road with friends...again, hope we see you "out there"
Salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:25 AM   #116
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I've been reading this thread with interest as well. My TV is an '04 Duramax, 235k miles and I know I'll need to replace it sometime. So I've been casually looking (and reading).

I would like to replace mine with one like it. I love the Duramax and have towed all over the country these 15 years - Alaska included. But the new ones are just so danged BIG! I parked next to one and it must be at least 6" higher. Don't know how I could check the oil or look into the bed of the truck without a ladder.

I guess one of the biggest differences is that my truck has 16" wheels. If everything is 18" or more, I guess that is a large part of the height increase.

Maybe I could swap my 16s onto a new truck.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #117
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
I've been reading this thread with interest as well. My TV is an '04 Duramax, 235k miles and I know I'll need to replace it sometime. So I've been casually looking (and reading).

I would like to replace mine with one like it. I love the Duramax and have towed all over the country these 15 years - Alaska included. But the new ones are just so danged BIG! I parked next to one and it must be at least 6" higher. Don't know how I could check the oil or look into the bed of the truck without a ladder.

I guess one of the biggest differences is that my truck has 16" wheels. If everything is 18" or more, I guess that is a large part of the height increase.

Maybe I could swap my 16s onto a new truck.

Pat
Different tire sizes on the same model all typically have the same overall tire height. The different rim sizes are paired with lower profile tires to produce the same height and rolling circumference.

The higher trucks are the result of the suspensions being lifted in the interests of looks over functionality (unless you are on trails where the additional ground clearance between rocks and sheet metal can be important). Sometimes this can be reversed by removing spacers, other times not. One solution is to go with a 2wd instead of a 4wd. It is cheaper, and handles better.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:59 PM   #118
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Or get a step stool...

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Or look at power running boards, they typically drop lower than the fixed ones.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #120
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I guess I'm just wailing in the dark. Why on earth do the trucks have to be so massive these days?

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote