Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2020, 08:22 PM   #81
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
A little bit off-topic but if you can wait until November 2020 it seems the incentives are better that time of year. Teachers, veterans, everyone is family, you name it for incentives at that time of year. Moosetags informed me a few years ago about the $1000 incentive to Costco customers. Negotiate the bottom line, then tell the dealer you have a Costco membership and they take $1000 off the price - that's huge. I became a Costco member because of that. Don't know if GM offers that every year but it may be worth the wait.

Another thing to consider, and it's been mentioned on this forum in the past, Laura auto dealerships in the St. Louis area will order any truck you want and they deal with almost every brand. Negotiate the best price you can with the Laura fleet manager / internet manager. Then, arrange for the delivery of the truck, 6 - 8 weeks typically, to occur when you think the best incentives will be offered. The incentives at the time of delivery will apply.

Best wishes on your truck hunting.

We got $5000 off with Costco in Dec of 2019 on our 2020 2500 HD Denali Duramax and a $700 Costco Cash Card during the GM special event. They run them a couple times during the year
beachrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:10 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
As far as a standard cab long bed configuration, according to the Ram website you can get one in the 2500 Bighorn 4x4 model (which is a pretty nice truck).
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:24 AM   #83
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
North East , Maryland
[QUOTE=DewTheDew;2328756] ...I use Apple Airplay and use Google maps...

Google and other cell/internet connected devices do not work when you are in less populated areas. There are places here in Maryland where you cannot get cell signal and states like Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana and Idaho only have service in the cities and towns.

A designated gps system works on satellite; not cell towers. Imagine breaking down on a major highway in Wyoming and finding out you have no cell service to call for roadside assist. Been there...done that!
Ladyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:00 AM   #84

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Airstream View Post
As far as a standard cab long bed configuration, according to the Ram website you can get one in the 2500 Bighorn 4x4 model (which is a pretty nice truck).
My research has found that the lower trim level trucks do not have an available power passenger front seat. SuEllyn spent six years without a power seat in the 2011 Silverado LT. This was the main reason that we went with an LTZ with the 2018.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:38 AM   #85
Ebb and Flo

Tulsa , Oklahoma
I just recently read some articles about the Ford F-250 and F-350 death wobble. Apparently some problem with the suspension on the front end. As a Ford F-150 owner looking to upgrade this has me concerned, and I'm surprised there's no mention of it anywhere in this lengthy thread.

Has anybody experienced this or have comment?

Ebb - 2015 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Flo - 2012 30' International Serenity
davidlbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #86

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
There is a whole thread on the "F-250 Death Wobble" . You can find it here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...t=death+wobble

Brian
Old 02-03-2020, 09:46 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Davidbriggs, it's been discussed at length on several other posts (use the search bar). Here's one thread started by turk123.

I assume the Ford owners have found a solution since it's not mentioned in this thread.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:46 AM   #88
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
There's also several on the various Ford truck discussion boards. Ford doesn't seem to acknowledge this as an issue from everything I've seen.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:23 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
[QUOTE=Ladyfish;2328938]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
...I use Apple Airplay and use Google maps...

Google and other cell/internet connected devices do not work when you are in less populated areas. There are places here in Maryland where you cannot get cell signal and states like Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana and Idaho only have service in the cities and towns.

A designated gps system works on satellite; not cell towers. Imagine breaking down on a major highway in Wyoming and finding out you have no cell service to call for roadside assist. Been there...done that!
Yes, even out here in the east there is not always cell service, so when necessary I use the truck's GPS. But for 95% of the towing I have done to date, using AppleAirplay with Google maps has worked wonderfully. My point was more that I do not consider much about the quality of the GPS system in the truck when I am shopping (though it annoys me that for Ford, at least, even though the truck knows you are hooked to a trailer the GPS on the Ford apparently does not take that into account when providing directions/information).

I am surprised you were without cell signal on a major road. I have driven across the country several times (primarily WA to MD) using different routes and even a decade or more ago I had signal on all interstates. But yes, as a child of the West it is funny to hear when people in the east call some places out here "remote"!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:58 AM   #90

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Our 2018 Silverado is the first vehicle that we have had with built-in GPS. We have found the GPS in the truck is not very good and somewhat difficult to use. We have continued using our Garmin NUVU 760 RV GPS for most of our GPS needs even though this unit is about ten years old. We also use the Google Maps feature on our Android smartphones. I understand that a phone can be mirror linked to the larger screen on the dash. I have not tried this yet.

As far as cell signal goes, we have found in our travels that we have a signal in at least 90% of the time. We avoid the Interstate Highways when possible and travel the US Highways and State Roads.

Brian
Old 02-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #91
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
[QUOTE=Ladyfish;2328938]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
...I use Apple Airplay and use Google maps...

.......!
Hi

At least on AT&T, coverage through a lot of Wyoming, South Dakota, and Montana is pretty good these days. If you see somebody out there drilling an oil well, it's a good bet there is coverage. Both the drilling and the cell towers appear to be fairly recent "enhancements" ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:58 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
I have a 2019 3500 HD Duramax that is my work truck. It happens to pull the airstream quite nicely. You can’t even tell the camper is there.

I purchased the truck for the independent front suspension and the ride quality.

It lost an injector in the Denso fuel system at 8000 miles and was down for three weeks waiting on parts undoubtably due to the Chevy auto workers strike.Everyone kept telling me this was the first time they’ve seen an injector problem in this denso system.

In my opinion the 2019 body style is the one to get if I was getting a 2020 I would get a gmc

Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #93
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
St. Petersburg , Florida
Even with three MoPar dealerships in the family, I always preferred the GMC Sierra - but moving from a Freightliner Super C to a TT I wanted a diesel 3/4 Ton to tow our Airstream International Serenity. I wanted a turbo-diesel 4X4 crew cab (crew cab mostly for our FIVE - yes FIVE - dachshunds), an exhaust or compression brake, LSD, and of course a trailering package with the additional coolers, cameras, etc. I was also intrigued by the air suspension offered in the Ram. Thinking about the amount of time we would spend in the cab, I wanted the truck optioned at an LTZ, Laramie, or Platinum level.

After looking at them all, I went with the 2500 Ram Laramie due (mostly) the in-line six 6.7L turbo-diesel (upcharge $9100). It has an exhaust brake, the air suspension, good trailering package and a great interior. (Note: "Trailer Sway Damping" and Trailer Brake Control were included as Standard Equipment; Towing Technology Group was part of Customer Preferred Package 2HH for $1095). I'm fortunate that I do not need to use the diesel as a daily driver on short errands and can leave it for missions where the diesel is loaded. I have some old BMWs I tinker with for milk runs. I do run a fuel additive for lubricity and water due HPCR/ULSF.

The list was $77,635 and with all the goofy "Employee Pricing", military discount and other soul-sucking markdowns AND finding a truck of the wrong color but otherwise had the attributes I wanted (including deployable running boards) ON THE LOT, we paid $64,618, still a lot of bones for a heathen like me. I added a ReTrax aluminum retractable bed cover, Yakima rails and perches for a Yakima cargo box just above the bed, MoPar mud flaps on the back and a rubber bed liner to keep "stuff" from sliding around on the sprayed-in bed liner (factory); that added another $2500.

Given the 12 inch display and all the other tech, I for the first time bought an extended (100K mile) Bumper to Bumper warranty for $2610, ironically bucks I hope I wasted.

I bought the ProPride 3P 1400 WD hitch, Trailer Tire Monitoring System (since the on-board trailer tire monitoring system isn't out yet).

So far, so good. We have excess capacity aplenty but then I have no worries and no concerns going up or down long mountain grades. I'm happy with our set-up and only wish Ram offered the Allison...otherwise, I am thus far very happy with the decision and haven't suffered a whisker of buyer's remorse, especially while passing "squating" TVs obviously under strain and with their headlights pointing at the stars. I left a high stress job in DC and am enjoying the decompression; our Prime Directive is relaxation and didn't want no stinkin" stress towing...and am NOT like DC pukes in a hurry to relax as they do on the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway. We rarely know where we are going with certainty but don't feel lost.
Salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:21 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Salvagediver, sounds like you got every discount available and then some! Welcome to the forum - please post a photo of your truck and trailer next time youíve got them connected. Glad to hear youíre enjoying the RAM!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
I find this hard to believe. Every Chrysler product I ever own I lost my butt on the trade in. I told my wife ďif I ever look at another Chrysler to kick me right in the nutsĒ.
That is why I now drive a 2016 Ford F-250 Diesel Ultra Lariat. Steel body short bed. The platinum was just too expensive and the ultra is almost the same. Minus a few things and the badges.

I KNOW! Look for yourself....KBB.COM

I was amazed.....a 12 yr old dodge with the cummins was still worth $25,000!

Lord knows the entire front end would have to have been replaced at least twice in 12 years! smh.....people continually amaze me at the things they gravitate to.....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #96
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanusport View Post
I have a 2019 3500 HD Duramax that is my work truck. It happens to pull the airstream quite nicely. You canít even tell the camper is there.

I purchased the truck for the independent front suspension and the ride quality.

It lost an injector in the Denso fuel system at 8000 miles and was down for three weeks waiting on parts undoubtably due to the Chevy auto workers strike.Everyone kept telling me this was the first time theyíve seen an injector problem in this denso system.

In my opinion the 2019 body style is the one to get if I was getting a 2020 I would get a gmc

I had a buddy with a 17 Duramax that stayed broke down so much he finally had to get another truck.....and for whatever reason, he got another Duramax! ???....I was shocked.....But I think his new one has been much more reliable.....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #97
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
Lord knows the entire front end would have to have been replaced at least twice in 12 years! smh.....people continually amaze me at the things they gravitate to.....

Careful, Iím sitting next to my 15 yr old 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 spd with over 200K on it and so far only shocks have been replaced on suspension. Front or rear.

One yeah, letís be specific. Next to a campfire and itís a TWO wheel drive.

Truck has needed filters, batteries, tires, shocks and fuel so far. Oh yeah itís on itís 2nd clutch not counting a trial p-type cause I was in the clutch business and it did get a test system. Brakes are all original. Airbag recall doesnít count.

Itís my truck, mine only.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:01 PM   #98
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
IMHO as someone with no skin in the game, I would stick to GM; you'll get a better deal upgrading, staying in house, versus dealing with another manufacturer; also with the GM IFS, you negate getting the dreaded RAM/Ford death wobble. The new Duramax with the Allison is a more reliable package.

IIWY though, I'd wait for the new interior coming next year. The new interior is supposedly far in a way better than the current chinzy GM interiors.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:22 AM   #99
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
St. Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Salvagediver, sounds like you got every discount available and then some! Welcome to the forum - please post a photo of your truck and trailer next time youíve got them connected. Glad to hear youíre enjoying the RAM!
Thanks....I feel ok about the deal I was able to get but was shooting for an end of model year leftover, something on the lot if possible, a good holiday sale, and end of the month (I don't think the dealership "floor-planned" themselves) and thankfully, wasn't in a full court press to buy immediately and could walk away if needed. That's all the generally understood folklore I know about getting the best possible deal for the working proletariat....it may be noise. I didn't report the additional 6% sales tax, the surtax, the nuisance fees: registration, battery and tire fee, electronic registration fee, document fee (WTH? $648.75???) and then there was a rebate of $2000 and I put $5000 down. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time (my 1971 BMW 2002 has over 500K miles) so am picky about maintenance...and oil.

I do appreciate the forum and it keeps me busy and thinking. I've been learning a great deal and have been following crisbyboy, gypsydad, kk4yz and especially specsalot given the fuel pump dialogue. Kinda like in college when we would split up our homework in our study group for a metallurgy class so we could actually get it done. Our trailer is hooked-up in storage right now but will proudly post a pic of our combo when we deploy in the next few weeks.

moosetags may want to go over to Tommy Thomas Chevrolet in Panama City if it is still there. We lived in PC when I was in the Navy at Dive School and it seemed that was the big volume dealership many of my classmates then later, guys on the staff went to buy their vehicles...may still be a good place to work a deal.
Salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #100

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Tommy Thomas passed away about fifteen years ago. His dealership is now Bill Cramer Chevrolet. I have priced trucks there in the past, and they never seem to be as good as Triangle Chevrolet in DeFuniak Springs. Bill Cramer wants you to take something on the lot. They do not want to check other dealers or order a vehicle. I am very particular about the truck that I will buy. Close is not good enough regardless of a great deal.

Brian