Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #61
Rivet Master
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,697
Images: 1
You know what makes purchasing a new Diesel more challenging? The inability to rent one and try it for a couple of days.
I was in the auto business and drove more than my fair share of new vehicles. So offer I did not really come to a decision about the suitability of the vehicle until Id had some time in it. The little things are just not all that obvious.
Renting, or bringing able to take a vehicle home for an afternoon at least, is a prerequisite for me...
Ive driven vehicles home that I thought Id purchase only to decide that they were not right on a long drive.
__________________
Loving our 2021 Globetrotter 25 shopping for the next tow vehicle and 2020 GMC 2500 Sierra Denali Duramax.
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:58 AM   #62
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,455
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
You know what makes purchasing a new Diesel more challenging? The inability to rent one and try it for a couple of days.
I was in the auto business and drove more than my fair share of new vehicles. So offer I did not really come to a decision about the suitability of the vehicle until Id had some time in it. The little things are just not all that obvious.
Renting, or bringing able to take a vehicle home for an afternoon at least, is a prerequisite for me...
Ive driven vehicles home that I thought Id purchase only to decide that they were not right on a long drive.
I recently had an unusual opportunity to test drive a 2020 Silverado Duramax. While my 2018 was at the dealer with a mysterious computer problem, the dealer brought me a 2020 LTZ Duramax demo to use for three days. This demo had all the bells and whistles. We got to really try out the all around camera system. It is amazing technology. It let us see exactly where we were on the road and in parking spaces. This is a really nice feature considering how massive this truck is. Getting a few days with hands on this truck is what got us thinking about trading sooner than we usually would.

I also really appreciate the fact that GM has now moved the DEF filler spout next to the fuel spout. This is especially nice because I would no longer have to lift a 25# bottle of DEF up over my head to fill the DEF tank.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #63
Rivet Master
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,697
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I recently had an unusual opportunity to test drive a 2020 Silverado Duramax. While my 2018 was at the dealer with a mysterious computer problem, the dealer brought me a 2020 LTZ Duramax demo to use for three days. This demo had all the bells and whistles. We got to really try out the all around camera system. It is amazing technology. It let us see exactly where we were on the road and in parking spaces. This is a really nice feature considering how massive this truck is. Getting a few days with hands on this truck is what got us thinking about trading sooner than we usually would.

I also really appreciate the fact that GM has now moved the DEF filler spout next to the fuel spout. This is especially nice because I would no longer have to lift a 25# bottle of DEF up over my head to fill the DEF tank.

Brian

Perfect! Dealers know what they are doing when they lend a vehicle like that... at least you know.
__________________
Loving our 2021 Globetrotter 25 shopping for the next tow vehicle and 2020 GMC 2500 Sierra Denali Duramax.
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #64
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,455
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Perfect! Dealers know what they are doing when they lend a vehicle like that... at least you know.
I don't think that many Chevrolet dealers have a current model year Duramax demo. The loaner I drove had about a thousand miles on it. This dealer is in a rural area that runs up to the Alabama State Line. They probably sell a lot more trucks than cars.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:18 PM   #65
Rivets?
 
nvestysly's Avatar

 
1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,210
A little bit off-topic but if you can wait until November 2020 it seems the incentives are better that time of year. Teachers, veterans, everyone is family, you name it for incentives at that time of year. Moosetags informed me a few years ago about the $1000 incentive to Costco customers. Negotiate the bottom line, then tell the dealer you have a Costco membership and they take $1000 off the price - that's huge. I became a Costco member because of that. Don't know if GM offers that every year but it may be worth the wait.

Another thing to consider, and it's been mentioned on this forum in the past, Laura auto dealerships in the St. Louis area will order any truck you want and they deal with almost every brand. Negotiate the best price you can with the Laura fleet manager / internet manager. Then, arrange for the delivery of the truck, 6 - 8 weeks typically, to occur when you think the best incentives will be offered. The incentives at the time of delivery will apply.

Best wishes on your truck hunting.
__________________
Lucius and Danielle
1992 29' Excella Classic / 2010 Interstate
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #66
Home of Vortex tuning
 
CDONA's Avatar
 
2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 607
Images: 10
Does anyone ever consider just a day cab, normal two door cab, when shopping for a new truck anymore?

I'm not happy with my first auto trans, in a '02 Ram 2500 CTD.
As a single guy, don't see the need, or want the extra wheelbase that 4 doors give you.

I kinda looked into a comparable new chevy '16, two door, price wise and was surprised on the low level of cab luxury offered.

About $ 38k
__________________
"Chip Tank" is in Redcrest Ca.
CDONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:36 PM   #67
Rivet Master
 
DewTheDew's Avatar
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
Does anyone ever consider just a day cab, normal two door cab, when shopping for a new truck anymore?

I'm not happy with my first auto trans, in a '02 Ram 2500 CTD.
As a single guy, don't see the need, or want the extra wheelbase that 4 doors give you.

I kinda looked into a comparable new chevy '16, two door, price wise and was surprised on the low level of cab luxury offered.

About $ 38k
I think those get relegated to "work truck" configurations. I was just talking with my wife about that the other day. We like the extra space but it wasn't out of the question if a 2DR F250 Platinum were readily available.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:58 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member
 
2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
Does anyone ever consider just a day cab, normal two door cab, when shopping for a new truck?... As a single guy, don't see the need, or want the extra wheelbase that 4 doors give you...

When I bought my first new Ram W350 4x4 back in 85, it only was available as a standard cab long bed... which was great until my daughter was born.

Crew Cabs were pretty much non-existent (although the Air Force always seemed to buy a lot of them).

The paradigm has shifted, now standard cabs are almost non-existent (except for work trucks) and Ill never go back to a standard cab due to the fact that passengers are much safer riding in the cab than they are riding in the bed.

They still make standard cab pickups but you might have to order one in order to get a nice one.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 SLT CTD 4X4 pickup
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #69
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,455
Images: 5
In my recent truck building and pricing endeavors on the Internet, I found that with the Chevrolet line, the regular cab pick-up are available only the Work Truck trim level. This would negate getting al the bells and whistles.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:58 AM   #70
Wolfwhistle
 
Fair_Enough's Avatar
 
Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 700
What is most important? I would pick the Chevy for ride and handling, the Ram for looks, and the Ford for power. If my wife let me pick next time!
WW
__________________
Is taking it all with you, really getting away from it all?
Fair_Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #71
Rivet Master
 
Bigventure's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 864
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
FWIW,
Not that it is the deciding factor, but the resale on a Dodge with a Cummins is much better than a Ford or a Chevy.....I was shocked to see what KBB resale was for a 12 yr old 2500 with Cummins, vs a Ford or Chevy Diesel.....The Dodge truck is junk in my opinion, but that motor makes all the difference in the world apparently, when it comes to resale....
I find this hard to believe. Every Chrysler product I ever own I lost my butt on the trade in. I told my wife if I ever look at another Chrysler to kick me right in the nuts.
That is why I now drive a 2016 Ford F-250 Diesel Ultra Lariat. Steel body short bed. The platinum was just too expensive and the ultra is almost the same. Minus a few things and the badges.
__________________
If you could have a superpower, what would it be?

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member
 
AShar's Avatar
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 81
There is another option to consider with RAM; you can find a truck for 72k sticker price with lovely interiors and options in one trim down. I saw fully loaded RAM 2500 Laramie with Surround View Cameras (Tow Tech Pkg), Adaptive Cruise Control & Forward Collision Warning (Safety Pkg), Blindspot detection (Laramie Lvl 1), Leather-trimmed seats, Cummins, etc. Unless you really want Laramie Longhorn, this adds a fourth option where you can have comparable interiors and other features to Ford and Chevy, but at a lower price point.
__________________
2019 25FB Flying Cloud
2021 Range Rover HSE
2019 RAM 2500 Hemi
2012 Mercedes GL450
AShar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member
 
1988 29' Excella
North East , Maryland
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 57
Other considerations

I'm not going to entertain the discussion of which make or model; but would offer some comments based on recent vehicle history.

1. GPS? If yes, who makes the GPS? A recent Ford GPS system was absolutely useless. Always took me "out of the way" and did not have the ability to change the parameters. I believe Dodge uses Garmin. We have the Garmin portable GPS on our trucks and boats and they've been great. GM/Chevrolet has OnStar and I love it on my Traverse.
2. Why not a "short bed"? Short bed has a better turn radius and you never know when you might need that!
3. I am assuming that all the vehicles you are looking at come with a full "tow" package.
4. Parts for repair. Fiat owns Dodge. Warranty issues and repair parts can be problematic. Note: Dodge & Jeep loyal for 40 years. Have friends still in the business.

Lots of choices out there!
Ladyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:20 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 88
2500 hd

I previously owned a 2500 Ram with a Cummins then a Ram Eco diesel which I just replaced with a duramax 2500hd. The Rams were great, I drove the power stroke but was won over Duramax with Alison ten speed won me over.
Larry1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:25 AM   #75
Rivet Master
 
DewTheDew's Avatar
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfish View Post
I'm not going to entertain the discussion of which make or model; but would offer some comments based on recent vehicle history.

1. GPS? If yes, who makes the GPS? A recent Ford GPS system was absolutely useless. Always took me "out of the way" and did not have the ability to change the parameters. I believe Dodge uses Garmin. We have the Garmin portable GPS on our trucks and boats and they've been great. GM/Chevrolet has OnStar and I love it on my Traverse.
2. Why not a "short bed"? Short bed has a better turn radius and you never know when you might need that!
3. I am assuming that all the vehicles you are looking at come with a full "tow" package.
4. Parts for repair. Fiat owns Dodge. Warranty issues and repair parts can be problematic. Note: Dodge & Jeep loyal for 40 years. Have friends still in the business.

Lots of choices out there!
I have a 2019 Ford (and had a 2017 with the same electronics) and rarely used the Ford GPS other than when I go somewhere familiar but a long drive and just want to keep track of ETA. Otherwise I use Apple Airplay and use Google maps. I pre-program in stops (this was wonderful on our recent two-week trip to Florida from Maryland) including fuel. Google is a great map option and you can set it all up beforehand.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #76
1 Rivet Member
 
1973 31' Sovereign
Milton , Delaware
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 16
Close your eyes and buy the Ram. You don't need local service dept. because Ram
diesels are so reliable.
rjpapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:34 PM   #77
1 Rivet Member
 
1968 26' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 12
Just a heads up.
The new Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 comes with a splash guard that is built into the body in such a way that you can not remove it and replace it with the usual full size mud flap that will protect your trailer completely. While DuraFlap is addressing this issue it will be about 5 months before they can have something available for market. In the meantime you have to leave the splash guard in place and add there drill-less full size mud flap to it. It is not pretty but it works.
NRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #78
New Member
 
2019 27' Flying Cloud
DeWitt , Michigan
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
The great tow vehicle dilemma

Check the vehicle height. Our son purchased an F250 4x4, 2019. It's too tall to get into many parking ramps and car washes. Our 2014 F350 isn't nearly as tall.
Ellen Bunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #79
1 Rivet Member
 
2020 25' Globetrotter
Woodbridge , Connecticut
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 7
Just adding on to the vote of Don't Do It...

My son, 12, and daughter, 15, were begging to ride in the trailer. My son went as far as to research in which states it was legal. Me, I'm the free spirit parent, and it seemed like either a really bad idea or a life regretting idea.
illya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #80
1 Rivet Member
 
2020 25' Globetrotter
Woodbridge , Connecticut
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 7
I have a 2016 350 Platinum. Today, I would definitely get the same 2020. The reasons:
1. It's what I know and it works
2. The 10 speed transmission has better mpg

However, if you can wait 3 more years, I would check out how the new Tesla truck works out. This perhaps is deviating the discussion. My only complaint about my 350 is 12 mpg towing at 60 mph.
illya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tow Vehicle/STOW Vehicle for Full-Timers Foiled Again Full-Timing 13 06-28-2014 12:55 PM
The Great Problem in Buying a Tow Vehicle... Eaglemate Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 19 05-11-2012 06:42 AM
Great Tow Vehicle in WA. Rodger with a D Tow Vehicles 7 03-14-2007 01:09 PM
Tow Vehicle Dilemma dmac Our Community 11 11-16-2005 05:15 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.