Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
You know what makes purchasing a new Diesel more challenging? The inability to rent one and try it for a couple of days.
I was in the auto business and drove more than my fair share of new vehicles. So offer I did not really come to a decision about the suitability of the vehicle until I’d had some time in it. The little things are just not all that obvious.
Renting, or bringing able to take a vehicle home for an afternoon at least, is a prerequisite for me...
I’ve driven vehicles home that I thought I’d purchase only to decide that they were not right on a long drive.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:58 AM   #62

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
You know what makes purchasing a new Diesel more challenging? The inability to rent one and try it for a couple of days.
I was in the auto business and drove more than my fair share of new vehicles. So offer I did not really come to a decision about the suitability of the vehicle until I’d had some time in it. The little things are just not all that obvious.
Renting, or bringing able to take a vehicle home for an afternoon at least, is a prerequisite for me...
I’ve driven vehicles home that I thought I’d purchase only to decide that they were not right on a long drive.
I recently had an unusual opportunity to test drive a 2020 Silverado Duramax. While my 2018 was at the dealer with a mysterious computer problem, the dealer brought me a 2020 LTZ Duramax demo to use for three days. This demo had all the bells and whistles. We got to really try out the all around camera system. It is amazing technology. It let us see exactly where we were on the road and in parking spaces. This is a really nice feature considering how massive this truck is. Getting a few days with hands on this truck is what got us thinking about trading sooner than we usually would.

I also really appreciate the fact that GM has now moved the DEF filler spout next to the fuel spout. This is especially nice because I would no longer have to lift a 25# bottle of DEF up over my head to fill the DEF tank.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I recently had an unusual opportunity to test drive a 2020 Silverado Duramax. While my 2018 was at the dealer with a mysterious computer problem, the dealer brought me a 2020 LTZ Duramax demo to use for three days. This demo had all the bells and whistles. We got to really try out the all around camera system. It is amazing technology. It let us see exactly where we were on the road and in parking spaces. This is a really nice feature considering how massive this truck is. Getting a few days with hands on this truck is what got us thinking about trading sooner than we usually would.

I also really appreciate the fact that GM has now moved the DEF filler spout next to the fuel spout. This is especially nice because I would no longer have to lift a 25# bottle of DEF up over my head to fill the DEF tank.

Brian

Perfect! Dealers know what they are doing when they lend a vehicle like that... at least you know.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #64

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Perfect! Dealers know what they are doing when they lend a vehicle like that... at least you know.
I don't think that many Chevrolet dealers have a current model year Duramax demo. The loaner I drove had about a thousand miles on it. This dealer is in a rural area that runs up to the Alabama State Line. They probably sell a lot more trucks than cars.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 02-01-2020, 01:18 PM   #65
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
A little bit off-topic but if you can wait until November 2020 it seems the incentives are better that time of year. Teachers, veterans, everyone is family, you name it for incentives at that time of year. Moosetags informed me a few years ago about the $1000 incentive to Costco customers. Negotiate the bottom line, then tell the dealer you have a Costco membership and they take $1000 off the price - that's huge. I became a Costco member because of that. Don't know if GM offers that every year but it may be worth the wait.

Another thing to consider, and it's been mentioned on this forum in the past, Laura auto dealerships in the St. Louis area will order any truck you want and they deal with almost every brand. Negotiate the best price you can with the Laura fleet manager / internet manager. Then, arrange for the delivery of the truck, 6 - 8 weeks typically, to occur when you think the best incentives will be offered. The incentives at the time of delivery will apply.

Best wishes on your truck hunting.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #66
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Does anyone ever consider just a day cab, normal two door cab, when shopping for a new truck anymore?

I'm not happy with my first auto trans, in a '02 Ram 2500 CTD.
As a single guy, don't see the need, or want the extra wheelbase that 4 doors give you.

I kinda looked into a comparable new chevy '16, two door, price wise and was surprised on the low level of cab luxury offered.

About $ 38k
Old 02-01-2020, 06:36 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
Does anyone ever consider just a day cab, normal two door cab, when shopping for a new truck anymore?

I'm not happy with my first auto trans, in a '02 Ram 2500 CTD.
As a single guy, don't see the need, or want the extra wheelbase that 4 doors give you.

I kinda looked into a comparable new chevy '16, two door, price wise and was surprised on the low level of cab luxury offered.

About $ 38k
I think those get relegated to "work truck" configurations. I was just talking with my wife about that the other day. We like the extra space but it wasn't out of the question if a 2DR F250 Platinum were readily available.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:58 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
Does anyone ever consider just a day cab, normal two door cab, when shopping for a new truck?... As a single guy, don't see the need, or want the extra wheelbase that 4 doors give you...

When I bought my first new Ram W350 4x4 back in ‘85, it only was available as a standard cab long bed... which was great until my daughter was born.

Crew Cabs were pretty much non-existent (although the Air Force always seemed to buy a lot of them).

The paradigm has shifted, now standard cabs are almost non-existent (except for work trucks) and I’ll never go back to a standard cab due to the fact that passengers are much safer riding in the cab than they are riding in the bed.

They still make standard cab pickups but you might have to order one in order to get a nice one.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #69

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
In my recent truck building and pricing endeavors on the Internet, I found that with the Chevrolet line, the regular cab pick-up are available only the Work Truck trim level. This would negate getting al the bells and whistles.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 02-02-2020, 09:58 AM   #70
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
What is most important? I would pick the Chevy for ride and handling, the Ram for looks, and the Ford for power. If my wife let me pick next time!
WW
Old 02-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
FWIW,
Not that it is the deciding factor, but the resale on a Dodge with a Cummins is much better than a Ford or a Chevy.....I was shocked to see what KBB resale was for a 12 yr old 2500 with Cummins, vs a Ford or Chevy Diesel.....The Dodge truck is junk in my opinion, but that motor makes all the difference in the world apparently, when it comes to resale....
I find this hard to believe. Every Chrysler product I ever own I lost my butt on the trade in. I told my wife “if I ever look at another Chrysler to kick me right in the nuts”.
That is why I now drive a 2016 Ford F-250 Diesel Ultra Lariat. Steel body short bed. The platinum was just too expensive and the ultra is almost the same. Minus a few things and the badges.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
There is another option to consider with RAM; you can find a truck for 72k sticker price with lovely interiors and options in one trim down. I saw fully loaded RAM 2500 Laramie with Surround View Cameras (Tow Tech Pkg), Adaptive Cruise Control & Forward Collision Warning (Safety Pkg), Blindspot detection (Laramie Lvl 1), Leather-trimmed seats, Cummins, etc. Unless you really want Laramie Longhorn, this adds a fourth option where you can have comparable interiors and other features to Ford and Chevy, but at a lower price point.
2012 Mercedes GL450
AShar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
North East , Maryland
Other considerations

I'm not going to entertain the discussion of which make or model; but would offer some comments based on recent vehicle history.

1. GPS? If yes, who makes the GPS? A recent Ford GPS system was absolutely useless. Always took me "out of the way" and did not have the ability to change the parameters. I believe Dodge uses Garmin. We have the Garmin portable GPS on our trucks and boats and they've been great. GM/Chevrolet has OnStar and I love it on my Traverse.
2. Why not a "short bed"? Short bed has a better turn radius and you never know when you might need that!
3. I am assuming that all the vehicles you are looking at come with a full "tow" package.
4. Parts for repair. Fiat owns Dodge. Warranty issues and repair parts can be problematic. Note: Dodge & Jeep loyal for 40 years. Have friends still in the business.

Lots of choices out there!
Ladyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:20 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
2500 hd

I previously owned a 2500 Ram with a Cummins then a Ram Eco diesel which I just replaced with a duramax 2500hd. The Rams were great, I drove the power stroke but was won over Duramax with Alison ten speed won me over.
Larry1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:25 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfish View Post
I'm not going to entertain the discussion of which make or model; but would offer some comments based on recent vehicle history.

1. GPS? If yes, who makes the GPS? A recent Ford GPS system was absolutely useless. Always took me "out of the way" and did not have the ability to change the parameters. I believe Dodge uses Garmin. We have the Garmin portable GPS on our trucks and boats and they've been great. GM/Chevrolet has OnStar and I love it on my Traverse.
2. Why not a "short bed"? Short bed has a better turn radius and you never know when you might need that!
3. I am assuming that all the vehicles you are looking at come with a full "tow" package.
4. Parts for repair. Fiat owns Dodge. Warranty issues and repair parts can be problematic. Note: Dodge & Jeep loyal for 40 years. Have friends still in the business.

Lots of choices out there!
I have a 2019 Ford (and had a 2017 with the same electronics) and rarely used the Ford GPS other than when I go somewhere familiar but a long drive and just want to keep track of ETA. Otherwise I use Apple Airplay and use Google maps. I pre-program in stops (this was wonderful on our recent two-week trip to Florida from Maryland) including fuel. Google is a great map option and you can set it all up beforehand.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #76
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Milton , Delaware
Close your eyes and buy the Ram. You don't need local service dept. because Ram
diesels are so reliable.
rjpapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:34 PM   #77
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
Just a heads up.
The new Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 comes with a splash guard that is built into the body in such a way that you can not remove it and replace it with the usual full size mud flap that will protect your trailer completely. While DuraFlap is addressing this issue it will be about 5 months before they can have something available for market. In the meantime you have to leave the splash guard in place and add there drill-less full size mud flap to it. It is not pretty but it works.
NRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #78

2019 27' Flying Cloud
DeWitt , Michigan
The great tow vehicle dilemma

Check the vehicle height. Our son purchased an F250 4x4, 2019. It's too tall to get into many parking ramps and car washes. Our 2014 F350 isn't nearly as tall.
Ellen Bunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #79
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Woodbridge , Connecticut
Just adding on to the vote of Don't Do It...

My son, 12, and daughter, 15, were begging to ride in the trailer. My son went as far as to research in which states it was legal. Me, I'm the free spirit parent, and it seemed like either a really bad idea or a life regretting idea.
illya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #80
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Woodbridge , Connecticut
I have a 2016 350 Platinum. Today, I would definitely get the same 2020. The reasons:
1. It's what I know and it works
2. The 10 speed transmission has better mpg

However, if you can wait 3 more years, I would check out how the new Tesla truck works out. This perhaps is deviating the discussion. My only complaint about my 350 is 12 mpg towing at 60 mph.
illya is offline   Reply With Quote